Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

They will not be happening here in Pennsylvania anytime soon per this tweet I got back from PennDOT:
https://twitter.com/PennDOTNews/status/349264406217101312

US71

Two years ago, Fayetteville, Arkansas said "never" to Flashing Yellow Arrows.  Yesterday, I observed 3 intersections with them.  One is a flashing arrow with no steady green.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

I recently found a flashing yellow U-turn arrow on SB WI 100 just south of the US 45 overpass.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it, and streetview is not up to date in the area.

codyg1985

According to Jason Ilyes, there are now some FYA signals along TN 153 in Hixson around the entrances to malls and shopping centers.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

DaBigE

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 14, 2013, 12:07:38 AM
I recently found a flashing yellow U-turn arrow on SB WI 100 just south of the US 45 overpass.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it, and streetview is not up to date in the area.

Sounds like the same one I saw a few months back...https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8471.0
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

US71

I observed 2 or 3 FYA's in Little Rock this weekend, but Fort Smith appears to the state capitol of FYA's in Arkansas.

tradephoric

Washington County is starting to suppress the permissive flashing yellow arrow when a potential pedestrian conflict exists.   According to the article, the flashing yellow arrow won't come on for drivers waiting to turn left when a conflicting pedestrian "walk" or "flashing don't walk" is active. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2013/04/oregon_traffic_study_widesprea.html

US71

I saw an odd set-up at AR 5  and US 67/167 in Cabot over the weekend:

Traffic heading south on AR 5 has a signal as does traffic exiting US 67 to go south on 5

NB 5 has no signal, but SB 5 to NB 67, has a permanent Flashing Yellow ONLY.

amroad17

Just this week, flashing yellow left turn signals were installed at seven intersections on Turkeyfoot Road from I-275 south to the western Richardson Road split here in Northern Kentucky.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

DSS5

Quote from: DSS5 on June 12, 2013, 03:55:46 PM
The only place I've seen it is where US 421 and 221 split on the way out of Boone.

I recently witnessed another one on Brawley School Road in Moorseville, NC.

jdb1234

Saw one in downtown Huntsville this afternoon, the first one I have ever seen in Alabama.

DSS5

Also the recently-installed traffic light (:angry:) at NC 105 and Poplar Grove Road in Boone has this feature.

algorerhythms

There's a new light configuration I noticed last weekend at the corner of Jenkins and Imhoff in Norman, OK. It's a T-intersection where Imhoff ends at Jenkins, so all traffic must turn right or left. The Google Street View shows the old configuration: the cycle went Red-Green Arrow-Yellow Arrow-Red. They've since changed it to Red-Flashing Yellow Arrow-Yellow Arrow-Red. This confused me when I went through that intersection last weekend, because I interpret Flashing Yellow Arrow to mean "there is an opposing traffic movement that you need to yield to," except in this case there is no such movement as far as I can tell.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on August 16, 2013, 09:27:27 PM
Saw one in downtown Huntsville this afternoon, the first one I have ever seen in Alabama.

Which intersection?

EDIT: It appears to be Clinton Ave at the SB Memorial Pkwy ramp, according to this press release.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Big John

Quote from: algorerhythms on August 19, 2013, 11:04:22 AM
There's a new light configuration I noticed last weekend at the corner of Jenkins and Imhoff in Norman, OK. It's a T-intersection where Imhoff ends at Jenkins, so all traffic must turn right or left. The Google Street View shows the old configuration: the cycle went Red-Green Arrow-Yellow Arrow-Red. They've since changed it to Red-Flashing Yellow Arrow-Yellow Arrow-Red. This confused me when I went through that intersection last weekend, because I interpret Flashing Yellow Arrow to mean "there is an opposing traffic movement that you need to yield to," except in this case there is no such movement as far as I can tell.
MUTCD also considers pedestrians a conflicting movement if there is a crosswalk in the way of that movement as pedestrians have the right of way.

tradephoric

QuoteMUTCD also considers pedestrians a conflicting movement if there is a crosswalk in the way of that movement as pedestrians have the right of way.

To reduce the potential for a pedestrian conflict, don't run the flashing yellow arrow when a conflicting pedestrian phase is running and make it protected only.  When there isn't a pedestrian actuation, revert back to the permissive flashing yellow arrow.  Does anybody like this setup?

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 19, 2013, 02:04:46 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on August 16, 2013, 09:27:27 PM

Which intersection?

EDIT: It appears to be Clinton Ave at the SB Memorial Pkwy ramp, according to this press release.

That would be correct.

SFPredsFan

I saw one for the 1st time anywhere when I went to Lexington this weekend and didn't know what the hell to do. There was no signs saying flashing yellow means you have the right of way turning left. In Canada, a flashing green light means it's the same as a  green arrow but it's uniform across the entire county. It's going to be a real mess if some states or just some cities use it but others don't. Make it nationally or don't do it at all.

Scott5114

Quote from: SFPredsFan on August 19, 2013, 08:44:18 PM
I saw one for the 1st time anywhere when I went to Lexington this weekend and didn't know what the hell to do. There was no signs saying flashing yellow means you have the right of way turning left. In Canada, a flashing green light means it's the same as a  green arrow but it's uniform across the entire county. It's going to be a real mess if some states or just some cities use it but others don't. Make it nationally or don't do it at all.

You don't have the right of way turning left if you have a flashing yellow arrow. It means you have to yield to oncoming traffic. You only have the right of way with a green arrow.

And the flashing yellow arrow is in the national MUTCD.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

Saw a new one (to me at least) yesterday on US 19 southbound at 38th Avenue North (CR-138) in Pinellas County, FL.

A photo crop on the railroad bridge where the FYA is illuminated. Unfortunately this intersection now includes a photochop, which was not the case in 2011.

Revive 755

Quote from: tradephoric on August 19, 2013, 07:11:24 PM
To reduce the potential for a pedestrian conflict, don't run the flashing yellow arrow when a conflicting pedestrian phase is running and make it protected only.  When there isn't a pedestrian actuation, revert back to the permissive flashing yellow arrow.  Does anybody like this setup?

I don't, because on a long crosswalk, the turning vehicle may be waiting when the ped or bicyclist may have already cleared the half of the roadway the vehicle would be turning into.  Also, what happens if the ped is walking parallel to the main street and pushes the button while there is no cross traffic to bring up the side street phases, but plenty of opposing through traffic to prevent a vehicle from making a safe left turn?   You could be reintroducing the yellow trap for a left turning vehicle.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 25, 2013, 04:21:25 AM
Quote from: SFPredsFan on August 19, 2013, 08:44:18 PM

I thinks this illustrates nicely one of the linger doubts I have about the FYA setup; many places have had a flashing yellow indication mean other traffic would have a flashing red, and it may take a while for some drivers to be retrained to the new meaning.

You don't have the right of way turning left if you have a flashing yellow arrow. It means you have to yield to oncoming traffic. You only have the right of way with a green arrow.

And the flashing yellow arrow is in the national MUTCD.

I think this illustrates one of the doubts I have with the FYA setup.  For years flashing yellow has indicated that other traffic had a flashing red.  Now we have changed it so the meaning of the color varies with the shape (arrow versus ball).  I could see this being an issue for some of those with many years of driving experience under the old paradigm.

Scott5114

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 25, 2013, 12:10:27 PM
I think this illustrates one of the doubts I have with the FYA setup.  For years flashing yellow has indicated that other traffic had a flashing red.  Now we have changed it so the meaning of the color varies with the shape (arrow versus ball).  I could see this being an issue for some of those with many years of driving experience under the old paradigm.

It has never done anything of the sort. Yes, most of the time there's been a flashing red to go with the flashing arrow, but it's only ever indicated "proceed with caution". Any observation anyone has made beyond that isn't something the DOT can do anything about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

^ The DOT can elect to not use the flashing yellow/flashing red intersection beacons or mode of traffic signal operation, as Illinois has.

route56

On the new MO 150 on the south side of Kansas City

47462 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Big John

^^ The signage would indicate that a U-turn is not allowed on the FYA phase instead of what i think is the intent of allow the U-turn after yielding to oncoming traffic?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.