News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Iconic Bridge in Each Metro Area

Started by webny99, February 21, 2021, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonealookin

Reno NV:  The old Virginia Street Bridge over the Truckee River, which stood for 110 years, 1905-2015, and carried US 395 before any freeways were built.

Women who came to Reno for quickie divorces supposedly had a tradition of going to that bridge after the divorce was granted and chucking their wedding ring over the side into the river.  Marilyn Monroe's friend tried to persuade Marilyn to do that in a scene in The Misfits but Marilyn decided they should just go for a drink instead.

With old age and the need to improve the flow of the Truckee in flood conditions, the bridge was finally replaced with a modern structure in 2015-2016.

If you're requiring something that's currently standing, it's probably the Galena Creek Bridge that opened to traffic in 2012 and carries I-580/US 395.

jp the roadgeek

Hartford: The Bulkeley Bridge, although I would nominate the Bushnell Arch if the Park River were not buried underground.  If you want to get out in the sticks, I'll include the Cornwall Covered Bridge.

New Haven: The Pearl Harbor Memorial ("Q") Bridge.

Providence: The Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Minneapolis: Stone Arch Bridge (former railway/current ped crossing on the Mississippi)

St. Paul: High Bridge (MN 149/Smith Ave over the Mississippi)

Duluth: Aerial Lift Bridge (Lake Avenue crossing the Duluth shipping canal)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on February 21, 2021, 03:59:51 PM
Denver isn't really known for water.  So I'll nominate the former Gates Rubber Factory Bridge that attaches to I-25.

Chris

i was going to say the speer blvd viaduct
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 21, 2021, 07:40:38 PM
Northern Indiana: Cline Avenue Bridge?

Evansville: The New I-69 Bridge?

Louisville: Lewis and Clark Bridge (Cable-stayed)

The most iconic bridge in Indiana is not actually a bridge--the I-65 overpass over IN 46 at Columbus.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 22, 2021, 08:22:39 AM

The most iconic bridge in Indiana is not actually a bridge--the I-65 overpass over IN 46 at Columbus.
That's the most iconic bridge in Indiana? It looks the same as the I-94 bridge over Telegraph Road (US-24).

hotdogPi

Most iconic in Maine (it's not really in a major metro area, though): I-95 on the NH/ME border.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sprjus4

I mean, technically it's still a bridge.

roadman65

In Orlando we have no major rivers, but the Conroy Overpass at I-4 would be its signature bridge being designed as the Gateway bridge on I-4 with an iconic "Orlando"  sign and crazy modern art spires on it.

Tampa Bay would be the Sunshine Skyway.

NYC would e the Brooklyn Bridge of course.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

Honestly though the most iconic bridge in Indiana is likely a covered bridge. It's on the freaking license plate. The one in Bridgeton in Parke County is pretty well known, but I'd go with the Narrows Covered Bridge near Turkey Run as being even more typical.

gonealookin

Looks like Sacramento hasn't been claimed yet.  That one is indisputably the Tower Bridge, the entrance to downtown Sacramento from the west which carried US 40 and US 99W over the Sacramento River from the mid 1930s until the freeway bridge over the river, to the south, was built in the 1960s.

SkyPesos

Cincinnati: Roebling Bridge

St Louis: Eads Bridge

Columbus: Main St Bridge

jmd41280

Jacksonville, FL - The I-295 Dames Point Bridge over the St. Johns River.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on February 22, 2021, 06:26:44 PM
Looks like Sacramento hasn't been claimed yet.  That one is indisputably the Tower Bridge, the entrance to downtown Sacramento from the west which carried US 40 and US 99W over the Sacramento River from the mid 1930s until the freeway bridge over the river, to the south, was built in the 1960s.

Sacramento has a relatively nice assortment of historic bridges with the I Street Bridge and Jaboom Street Bridged nearby.  I'm kind of surprised how the Tower Bridge isn't more widely known given its a pretty attractive design. 

With metro Phoenix it has to be the Mill Avenue Bridges over the Salt River in Tempe.  A lot of history crossed those bridges by way of US 60/70/80/89. 

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jemacedo9 on February 21, 2021, 07:41:14 PM
But for Pittsburgh?  The combination of the Ft Pitt and Ft Duquesne Bridges?

Pittsburgh is indeed the city of bridges.  For the lower bridges, I'd suggest any/all of the Three Sisters bridges.  But I love the few that span over the gorges.  So how about the Homestead High Level Bridge (now called the Homestead Grays Bridge).  Head on over to Chiodo's and grab a couple of Mystery Sandwiches.

http://bridgehunter.com/pa/allegheny/homestead-high-level/

tchafe1978

kevinb1994

Quote from: jmd41280 on February 22, 2021, 07:54:57 PM
That was the last bridge that was built by the former Jacksonville Expressway Authority (since 1971, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority, when it merged with the former City Coach Company-one of the presumably-obvious reasons behind the merger was to avoid confusion with the then-also new (since 1968) Jacksonville Electric Authority). The first bridge that the former Jacksonville Expressway Authority built was the then-soon-to-be-infamous Mathews Bridge, which connects the simultaneously-built Union Street Expressway to the later-built Arlington Expressway.

Big John

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 22, 2021, 11:16:20 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 21, 2021, 03:22:37 PM
Milwaukee:  The new 6th St. viaduct.

Not the Hoan Bridge?
I thought this was for one bridge.  If it is for multiple bridge, I would add the Hoan.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 23, 2021, 01:01:31 AM
That was the last bridge that was built by the former Jacksonville Expressway Authority (since 1971, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority, when it merged with the former City Coach Company-one of the presumably-obvious reasons behind the merger was to avoid confusion with the then-also new (since 1968) Jacksonville Electric Authority). The first bridge that the former Jacksonville Expressway Authority built was the then-soon-to-be-infamous Mathews Bridge, which connects the simultaneously-built Union Street Expressway to the later-built Arlington Expressway.

No Main Street Bridge?   That's actually part of the City Skyline and hard to miss in that striking blue paint.

MCRoads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2021, 08:25:02 PM

Sacramento has a relatively nice assortment of historic bridges with the I Street Bridge and Jaboom Street Bridged nearby.  I'm kind of surprised how the Tower Bridge isn't more widely known given its a pretty attractive design. 

With metro Phoenix it has to be the Mill Avenue Bridges over the Salt River in Tempe.  A lot of history crossed those bridges by way of US 60/70/80/89.
With metro Phoenix, I think the most iconic bridge is the bridge over the I-10, forming Bridge Deck Park. Or tunnel? AzDOT says it is just a really wide bridge, lol. Last section of I-10 to be built.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MCRoads on February 23, 2021, 09:28:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2021, 08:25:02 PM

With metro Phoenix, I think the most iconic bridge is the bridge over the I-10, forming Bridge Deck Park. Or tunnel? AzDOT says it is just a really wide bridge, lol. Last section of I-10 to be built.

That's more of a cut and cover tunnel than an actual bridge structure.  Yes, in terms of freeway design it is iconic but the Mill Avenue Bridges are real lookers.  I forgot which station but there was a news report which had the Mill Avenue Bridges as their background image. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2021, 07:25:26 AM

No Main Street Bridge?   That's actually part of the City Skyline and hard to miss in that striking blue paint.
I like the fact that the first Tv station around here, WJXT aka News 4 Jax, had its first studio building at the southeast corner of the Main Street Bridge. Unfortunately, when they built the I-95 expressway over the St Johns (via the infamous Fuller Warren Bridge-originally known as the Gilmore Street Bridge), they had to move to their current location.

No love for the Acosta Bridge? The original had a reversible lane in the middle. The current one has had its blue neon lights replaced with multicolor LED lights.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 23, 2021, 02:57:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2021, 07:25:26 AM

I like the fact that the first Tv station around here, WJXT aka News 4 Jax, had its first studio building at the southeast corner of the Main Street Bridge. Unfortunately, when they built the I-95 expressway over the St Johns (via the infamous Fuller Warren Bridge-originally known as the Gilmore Street Bridge), they had to move to their current location.

No love for the Acosta Bridge? The original had a reversible lane in the middle. The current one has had its blue neon lights replaced with multicolor LED lights.

The lights on Acosta are nice but the structure looks too bland when the Main Street bridge is right in the same field of view.

jmd41280

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2021, 07:25:26 AMNo Main Street Bridge?   That's actually part of the City Skyline and hard to miss in that striking blue paint.

That was a very close second for me.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.