Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tollboothrob

I've always wanted to walk the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly, and really have no excuse, living within 10 minutes of it...

The only other I've walked is the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville, West Virginia during the annual Bridge Day in October.
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

1995hoo

I won't try to count minor bridges like railroad overpasses and such, and I wouldn't be able to keep track of them anyway. The following more notable ones come to mind:

Brooklyn Bridge
Millennium Bridge in London
Westminster Bridge in London
Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol (drove across, then found a parking space and walked across multiple times taking pictures)
Charlestown Bridge in Boston
Theodore Roosevelt Bridge in DC
Arlington Memorial Bridge in DC
Frederick Douglass Bridge in DC
Several of the bridges in Pittsburgh going to and from Heinz Field for a UVA football game and for the 2011 Winter Classic

If riding a bike across counts for this poll:
14th Street Bridge in DC (the southbound span is the only one with a bike/pedestrian path)
The new Woodrow Wilson Bridge (nice to do for a very different view of the city)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Unless I missed it, has anybody ever considered walking across the old US 15-301 Bridge/Fishing Pier over Lake Marion, South Carolina?

And while we're on the topic of that bridge, when was the I-95 twin-span replacement built? There's an improvement on a Wikipedia article riding on this question.

bookem

I've crossed the Steel Bridge in Portland OR on foot, bike, car, bus, light rail and Amtrak.

NE2

Quote from: bookem on June 16, 2011, 05:12:54 PM
I've crossed the Steel Bridge in Portland OR on foot, bike, car, bus, light rail and Amtrak.
But not by shopping cart? Shame.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bookem

Quote from: NE2 on June 16, 2011, 06:25:09 PM
Quote from: bookem on June 16, 2011, 05:12:54 PM
But not by shopping cart? Shame.

KNEW I forgot something  :banghead:

Michael in Philly

I'm mildly surprised no one has mentioned Key Bridge in Washington (or to be more precise, between Washington and Arlington).  I've walked it countless times because I went to Georgetown and the nearest Metro station is Rosslyn in Arlington.

I have dim childhood memories of walking the Brooklyn Bridge, and I've been on the famous one in Florence I can't remember the name of now - the one that's been there for centuries and has little buildings on it.  Think I walked across the Rhine (and back) at Cologne, probably been on a famous bridge or two in Paris.  Actually, all such memories are fairly dim.  I'm not a bridge collector.  But Key Bridge I know like the back of my hand, 25 years after graduation.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

NE2

Don't think I've walked the Key Bridge, but I did the Roosevelt at night after Metro closed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

I've visited a mall (Newport on the Levee) in Newport, KY while my car was parked near a library (main branch of Public Library of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio.  In all, I walked about 5 miles that day, including both sides of the Purple People Bridge (but not on the superstructure).  You know, the Ohio River seems a lot bigger when you're crossing it on foot.

I've also crossed several bridges over the Scioto and Olentangy rivers on foot in the Columbus area over the years.  The most interesting of those might be the the new Main Street Bridge over the Scioto, or the pedestrian bridge that crosses Olentangy River Road, State Route 315, the Olentangy River, and a bike path, just a bit south of Henderson Road.

Finally, one that's not meant for pedestrians: I've crossed the Norfolk Southern RR Dayton District bridge over Big Darby Creek once each way.  I've also been on the Camp Chase Industrial RR bridge over Big Darby Creek, but I don't remember ever making it to the other side -- bees are more intimidating than usual when you can't safely run away.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Tom

Well, I walked from the U.S. to the Dominion of Canada this past June on the International Bridge, and made walk No. 3 on the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day. :coffee:

1995hoo

Quote from: Tom on September 07, 2011, 07:15:05 PM
Well, I walked from the U.S. to the Dominion of Canada this past June on the International Bridge, and made walk No. 3 on the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day. :coffee:

That would be a good trick. They dropped that name years ago, although it's codified in some old laws.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

The George Washington Bridge
Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls)
The Laredo, TX original Rio Grande Crossing into Mexico
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: kurumi on June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM
Which noteworthy bridges have you walked across (for a good photo or otherwise)? Some of mine:

• Founders Bridge, Conn.
  • Charter Oak Bridge, Conn.
  • Golden Gate Bridge, Calif.
  • Harbour Bridge, Sydney (surface, and Bridge Climb)

Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95 and I-495), VA and MD, both new spans just before they opened to traffic.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sandiaman

The  Rio Grande Gorge  Bridge,  Taos, New  Mexico.  Billed  as the second  highest  bridge  in the US.   Private  planes  have  been known to  fly under  its  span,  and one unfortunate    person     was car  jacked, driven to this bridge  and   tossed over. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sandiaman on November 30, 2011, 06:05:44 PM
The  Rio Grande Gorge  Bridge,  Taos, New  Mexico.  Billed  as the second  highest  bridge  in the US.

According to Wikipedia, it's the 5th highest bridge in the US.

KEVIN_224

Nothing too remarkable, but the bridge I've walked over the most? The Seabees Memorial Bridge, which carries state route 9 over the Connecticut River between Brattleboro, VT and Chesterfield, NH. Here's a picture of the span from February 8, 2011 on the Vermont side looking east into New Hampshire:

frank gifford

The three best are the 1929 (Old) Chain of Rocks Bridge across the Mississippi just north of St. Louis.  It was the long-time crossing point for Route 66, and is today a hike-and-bike trail--completely closed to vehicles.  Second, the 1849 Wheeling Suspension Bridge across the Ohio River--which has walkways on either side of alternating one-way traffic.  Third, the nearly-new Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge at Omaha NE, crossing the Missouri River into IA.  Quite a few images of the first two are on my site: www.rt66pix.com. 

Another interesting pedestrian crossing is the Rio Grande, at several points from El Paso to Brownsville TX.  This international boundary is really nothing more than a glorified ditch in many places. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: frank gifford on August 01, 2012, 12:47:14 AM

Another interesting pedestrian crossing is the Rio Grande, at several points from El Paso to Brownsville TX.  This international boundary is really nothing more than a glorified ditch in many places.

hypothetically speaking, have you ever considered the existence of a universe in which an alternate version of you has walked across the Rio Grande (in such a manner, of course, as to not in any way influence the legality of the actions of this universe's Frank Gifford)?

I've considered it, to clinch various Mexican states, but then decided to think better of it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

The only noteworthy bridges I've walked on have been incomplete. This year I walked on the south half of the old Cartersville Bridge (19th century truss bridge) and I got to walk on the new Huguenot Bridge in Richmond before it was finished. Otherwise, just your standard railroad/freeway overpasses.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Road Hog

I walked the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin, which is famous for the bats that roost underneath it.

Those are not birds flying out at sundown. Not for the faint of heart.

SteveG1988

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 06, 2011, 12:25:20 PM
Nothing too remarkable, but the bridge I've walked over the most? The Seabees Memorial Bridge, which carries state route 9 over the Connecticut River between Brattleboro, VT and Chesterfield, NH. Here's a picture of the span from February 8, 2011 on the Vermont side looking east into New Hampshire:

What i find interesting about the original bridge, the solid metal hangers from the arch, it is similar to the 1929 tacony palmyra bridge near me.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

but the bridge I've walked over the most? The Seabees Memorial Bridge

the most?  probably the Harvard Bridge separating Boston from Cambridge.  I went to school on one side and attended events on the other a lot.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
but the bridge I've walked over the most? The Seabees Memorial Bridge

the most?  probably the Harvard Bridge separating Boston from Cambridge.  I went to school on one side and attended events on the other a lot.
ME. TOO. OMG.

vtk

I walked part of that bridge once. I think we went about 150 smoots before turning back.  The bridge itself was the destination, and we wanted to get back to the green line before the subway shut down, so we didn't walk the whole bridge.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Compulov

I've walked across a number of bridges which have pedestrian sidewalks or are on otherwise quiet roads, but I think the most interesting one was the Scudders Falls bridge. I got caught in a traffic snarl because of an accident which closed the freeway for a bit one evening, so I got out of my car and walked about halfway down the bridge before turning around and heading back to my car. I consider it more memorable since it's rare (for me, anyway) to get the chance to walk across an *active* freeway bridge (without using a pedestrian walkway and well, without getting killed).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.