News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2024 Road Trip Plans

Started by Hunty2022, December 26, 2023, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on January 25, 2024, 03:04:08 AM
Still writing up plans to go see the eclipse in Dallas with a long round trip from Seattle. If anyone wants to tell me my schedule is unreasonable, now is the time:

Day 1 - Seattle to Boise (long drive day, almost no stops)
Day 2 - Boise to SLC area
Day 3 - SLC to Moab area
Day 4 - Moab area to Denver
Day 5 - Denver and Colorado Springs
Day 6 - Colorado Springs to Santa Fe and Albuquerque
Day 7 - Albuquerque to Oklahoma City
Day 8 - Oklahoma City to Dallas
Day 9 - Eclipse Day (roughly)
Day 10 - Dallas to San Antonio
Day 11 - San Antonio and Austin
Day 12 - Stay in Austin
Day 13 - Austin to Dallas
Day 14 - Dallas again
Day 15 - Dallas to Bentonville via Little Rock
Day 16 - Bentonville to Kansas City via Jefferson
Day 17 - Kansas City to Sioux Falls via Lincoln
Day 18 - Sioux Falls to Rapid City via Pierre
Day 19 - Rapid City to Bozeman
Day 20 - Bozeman to Spokane
Day 21 - Spokane to Seattle

You're a little late to the party for planning to get down there.  Will you be staying with friends or paying for lodging?  Might want to check prices in the area.  San Antonio and Austin have hiked rates, anyway.

Must be seeing a lot of stuff on the way to take 8 days to get from Seattle to Dallas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Day 3 - SLC to Moab area
Day 12 - Stay in Austin
Day 14 - Dallas again

Now that's a real road trip!   :clap:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

If the timing works out and you want to get a beer when you're in Denver, let me know!

Bruce

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2024, 07:18:42 AM
Still writing up plans to go see the eclipse in Dallas with a long round trip from Seattle. If anyone wants to tell me my schedule is unreasonable, now is the time:

Day 3 - SLC to Moab area
Day 12 - Stay in Austin
Day 14 - Dallas again

You're a little late to the party for planning to get down there.  Will you be staying with friends or paying for lodging?  Might want to check prices in the area.  San Antonio and Austin have hiked rates, anyway.

Must be seeing a lot of stuff on the way to take 8 days to get from Seattle to Dallas.

Staying with friends and family while in Texas, but the rest is going to be a mix of car camping and day-of reservations. Can't be certain about the conditions across the mountains and I have to give myself plenty of float time. Worse case I'll be arriving on the night before the eclipse, but that's better than missing it entirely.

Bruce

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 25, 2024, 10:50:35 AM
If the timing works out and you want to get a beer when you're in Denver, let me know!

Very open to meeting up, but I think I'll pass on the booze.

boilerup25

Quote from: boilerup25 on December 28, 2023, 05:06:37 PM
For me, I already have multiple likely trips planned.

February 2024: Trips from West Lafayette to Columbus, Ohio and Madison, Wisconsin.
Summer 2024: I have some trips I plan on taking from Morris County to go deeper into Sussex County and Warren County. I also am considering taking a trip to clinch CR 511 and NY 210 in Greenwood Lake. I also plan on taking trips from North to South Jersey (and back again). Those ones are still unknown, though.

Update for my planned 2024 road trips:

My trip to Columbus, OH to watch a Purdue basketball road game against the Buckeyes was canceled.
I could be taking a long road trip from West Lafayette, IN to the Richmond/Petersburg area in VA in April 2024.
There is a possibility I could be taking a road trip this fall from West Lafayette to either Champaign, IL; Madison, WI; or East Lansing, MI to watch a Purdue football road game. I'm hoping it'll be a trip to East Lansing.

So here's what I have so far (still subject to change):

February 2024: Trip from West Lafayette to Madison, Wisconsin.

April 2024: Trip from West Lafayette to Richmond/Petersburg, Virginia.

Summer 2024: I have some trips I plan on taking from Morris County to go deeper into Sussex County and Warren County. I also am considering taking a trip to clinch CR 511 and NY 210 in Greenwood Lake. I also plan on taking trips from North to South Jersey (and back again). Those ones are still unknown, though.

October 2024: Still a grey area. Trip from West Lafayette to Champaign, IL or Madison, WI.

November 2024: Still a grey area. If approved, trip from West Lafayette to East Lansing, MI.

US 41

I'm going to try to go to Mexico and Canada this year and add some more states (central Mexico) and provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan) to my list. Right now my plan is to fly into Monterrey and Grand Forks, ND (I want to explore ND too) and then just go wherever the road ends up taking me. I'd make more solid plans, but I never really follow my plans anyways, so what's the point? As long as I make it back to the airport in time for my return flight, all will be good.  :bigass:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on January 28, 2024, 10:21:12 PM
Right now my plan is to fly into Monterrey ... and then just go wherever the road ends up taking me.

On last year's church mission trip, we rented a vehicle at the Monterrey airport.  In recent years, they have moved the rental offices out of the airport itself, to an area just south of the access road.  There is a shuttle bus going to/from the rental offices.  I don't have any personal experience with the shuttle bus, as our half of the group drove down from Wichita and then met up with the others at the rental office.

I only point this out because some of the GSV at the airport is out of date and incorrectly shows the offices right there by the terminal.  More recent GSV is correct.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Quote from: US 89 on January 11, 2024, 01:17:47 AM
There's the possibility of a long road trip to Boston and Maine this summer, which I of course would love to do, but I might fly instead because I don't know if I'll have the time for that kind of drive...

If you decide to range in this direction from Boston, holler...

As for me, I only have one on the books right now, in mid-March for a wedding in Florida that my wife is a part of.  Will have a marathon drive back right afterwards but am taking several days on the way down to visit friends and family and "dilly dally" (my wife's term for when I do route clinching).

hbelkins

My brother is floating a trip to Canyonlands NP in Utah to drive the White Rim Road in early March. Would probably be an out-and-back on I-64 and I-70 and US 191 to Moab. Maybe I can talk him into returning via US 666 491, I-40, and I-44, especially if there's bad wintry weather across Colorado and Kansas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on January 29, 2024, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: US 41 on January 28, 2024, 10:21:12 PM
Right now my plan is to fly into Monterrey ... and then just go wherever the road ends up taking me.

On last year's church mission trip, we rented a vehicle at the Monterrey airport.  In recent years, they have moved the rental offices out of the airport itself, to an area just south of the access road.  There is a shuttle bus going to/from the rental offices.  I don't have any personal experience with the shuttle bus, as our half of the group drove down from Wichita and then met up with the others at the rental office.

I only point this out because some of the GSV at the airport is out of date and incorrectly shows the offices right there by the terminal.  More recent GSV is correct.

Thanks for the info. Sounds about the same as how Las Vegas does it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jlam

Quote from: jlam on January 11, 2024, 12:39:34 AM
A road trip this summer is in the works for me. It'll be a massive loop in the Northwestern United States. I'll visit the University of Wyoming and Montana State. After touring the latter, I will head west to Portland, Oregon, see family, and return home via I-84 and I-80. Remember that this trip is very preliminary and might not happen at all.
This changed. I'm no longer driving to Portland. It will essentially be a there-and-back trip to Montana. I might get all three of my missing Wyoming counties (Johnson, Sheridan, and Sublette) or at least two. My Spring Break trip down to Salida is still firmly in place. I may fly to Portland instead sometime this year.

Hunty2022

It's February now, with no real trips yet. I'll keep on waiting for the perfect time to get out of Greene/Albemarle Counties, and list many road trips I could possibly take this year from most likely to least likely:

Richmond Area, VA (90%)
Virginia Beach, VA (80%)
Luray, VA (70%)
Hinesville-Savannah, GA (65%)
Yorktown, VA (60%)
Cape Charles, VA (55%)
Lynchburg, VA (50%)
Ocean City, MD (50%)
Hilton Head, SC (40%)
Fayetteville, NC (35%)
Myrtle Beach, SC (35%)
Washington, DC (35%)
Rehoboth Beach, DE (30%)
Doswell, VA (25%)
Massanutten, VA (20%)
Wildwood, NJ (20%)
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (15%)
Bristol, VA-TN (15%)
Outside of the US (10%) (cruise)
Ocala, FL (10%)
Louisiana (5%)

A lot of these trips listed are ones I took in 2023, plus some new ones and ones I took before 2023.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

D-Dey65

Some point after I get my oil changed, I'm going to take another Folkston run. I'm actually thinking of taking FL-GA 121 all the way up again, so I can capture the weigh station and agricultural inspection stations near the border. And this time I'm going to use a camera that runs on AA batteries.

AABattery

I don't have a lot of set ones planned yet, but I have a few right now for the next couple months, and I've already been on a couple trips this year

Already been:
Clintwood, VA (First week of January)
Skyline Drive and the Parkway (Front Royal to Roanoke, Last Weekend)

Ones I know roughly when:
Ithaca, NY (next weekend, hopefully the snow won't be too bad then)
Kingston, RI and Durham, NH (early March)
Blue Ridge Parkway (Roanoke to Floyd, late March. Also that'll complete the whole Virginia segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway for me)
Surf City, NC (big maybe, but if so then late April)

Ones I don't really know when:
Southwestern WV/Eastern KY (Not 100% when but I'll do a WV trip at some point in the next couple months or so)
I know at some point I'll be going up to Califon, NJ in June or July if I haven't already been there by then
My parents keep telling me that we're gonna do a cross-country trip this summer as I'll be graduating HS this year, and so far all I know planning wise is some of the places I wanna see, which includes Denver, Wyoming, Seattle, and the Canadian Rockies
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

boilerup25

Quote from: boilerup25 on January 27, 2024, 03:14:35 PM

February 2024: Trip from West Lafayette to Madison, Wisconsin.

April 2024: Trip from West Lafayette to Richmond/Petersburg, Virginia.

October 2024: Still a grey area. Trip from West Lafayette to Champaign, IL or Madison, WI.

November 2024: Still a grey area. If approved, trip from West Lafayette to East Lansing, MI.

Updates: I might be doing a trip to see the eclipse on April 8th (great birthday gift for my 21st birthday!), but that will be directly after my massive road trip from West Lafayette to Richmond/Petersburg, VA and back. I am doing the Virginia trip from April 5 to April 7, and will return to Indiana by April 8th. But I don't know if this is a definite.

Here's what I know (still subject to change):

February 2024:
2/4 - Trip from West Lafayette to Madison, Wisconsin. [Completed]

April 2024:
4/5 to 4/7 - Trip from West Lafayette to Richmond/Petersburg, Virginia with a Purdue student organization.
4/8 - Grey area. Solar eclipse trip could be done from West Lafayette to either Indianapolis area or Crawfordsville.
4/11 to 4/13 - Trip to Purdue Northwest (Hammond, IN and Westville, IN) for a civil engineering student conference. (Yes, this is basically most of the regular Chicago trip I use to go to O'Hare, but this trip will let me get some new miles of road)

epzik8

I have nothing, if going to the Dover and Pocono NASCAR races don't count. I'm going to Florida, but flying there.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Just scheduled a camping/climbing trip with a buddy for Wetterhorn Peak. I think we might do the whole Alpine Loop while we're down there.

boilerup25

Quote from: boilerup25 on February 14, 2024, 10:49:26 AM

February 2024:

April 2024:
4/5 to 4/7 - Trip from West Lafayette to Richmond/Petersburg, Virginia with a Purdue student organization.
4/8 - Grey area. Solar eclipse trip could be done from West Lafayette to either Indianapolis area or Crawfordsville.
4/11 to 4/13 - Trip to Purdue Northwest (Hammond, IN and Westville, IN) for a civil engineering student conference. (Yes, this is basically most of the regular Chicago trip I use to go to O'Hare, but this trip will let me get some new miles of road)

Update: With the release of the Purdue volleyball conference opponents (but not the schedule yet) and all of the conference away games, this opens up two or three road trip opportunities in Fall 2024. The possible trips are to these road games: IU in Bloomington, IN; Northwestern in Evanston, IL; and Iowa in Iowa City, IA. I have a gut feeling that I can go with the Purdue student section to Bloomington or Evanston, but Iowa City might be a stretch. I'd be willing to go to Iowa for my first time just to add another Big Ten School and another state to my list.

My road trips (still subject to change):

February 2024:

April 2024:

Fall 2024: Grey area. Trip from West Lafayette to Bloomington, IN; Evanston, IL; or Iowa City, IA.

October 2024: Still a grey area. If approved, trip from West Lafayette to Champaign, IL or Madison, WI.

pderocco

I'm planning a two-week loop from my home in the San Diego area, probably in June, which will go basically up US-93 to Canada, then back through WA, OR, and CA. It will clinch:

• US-91 and US-93
  • BC-95 and BC-99
  • All 22 bridges over water in the Vancouver BC area
  • All state routes 99 that replaced US-99
  • All interstates in WA and UT, all in OR and ID except I-84 from Pendleton to Twin Falls
  • All signed business and historic routes in CA
  • All CA county sign routes not in the flat boring part of the Central Valley
  • All CA state routes except 45, 82, and 113
  • A few dozen other state routes here and there

This is only possible because I've done most of the roads in those categories already. I particularly look forward to the northern part of US-93, Glacier NP, the Canadian Rockies, Vancouver BC, WA-14 along the Columbia River, the Crater Lake loop, and Mendocino Pass Rd in CA.

Max Rockatansky

I've been  on an impromptu visit to family in Jalisco, Mexico this entire week.  Things weren't really "road trip-like" until today given we took a drive out to Santa Ana de Guadalupe.  Ended up clinching Autopista GUA 10D and had some significant new miles on Autopista 80D in addition to Jalisco Route 317.

Rothman

Looping back to CNY from Troy, NY through NJ and PA tomorrow (Saturday).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MATraveler128

Might be taking a trip to Colorado in June. Would be flying into Denver and drive to Durango. There's also the possibility that I maybe cross into Wyoming.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

pderocco

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 24, 2024, 11:32:38 AM
Might be taking a trip to Colorado in June. Would be flying into Denver and drive to Durango. There's also the possibility that I maybe cross into Wyoming.
Sounds like a good opportunity to drive US-550 over the mountains. I doubt the side roads (Black Bear, Imogene) will be passable, but the highway should be clear.

AABattery

Quote from: AABattery on February 11, 2024, 02:16:02 PM
I don't have a lot of set ones planned yet, but I have a few right now for the next couple months, and I've already been on a couple trips this year

Already been:
Clintwood, VA (First week of January)
Skyline Drive and the Parkway (Front Royal to Roanoke, Last Weekend)

Ones I know roughly when:
Ithaca, NY (next weekend, hopefully the snow won't be too bad then)
Kingston, RI and Durham, NH (early March)
Blue Ridge Parkway (Roanoke to Floyd, late March. Also that'll complete the whole Virginia segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway for me)
Surf City, NC (big maybe, but if so then late April)

Ones I don't really know when:
Southwestern WV/Eastern KY (Not 100% when but I'll do a WV trip at some point in the next couple months or so)
I know at some point I'll be going up to Califon, NJ in June or July if I haven't already been there by then
My parents keep telling me that we're gonna do a cross-country trip this summer as I'll be graduating HS this year, and so far all I know planning wise is some of the places I wanna see, which includes Denver, Wyoming, Seattle, and the Canadian Rockies

Update:
So the NC trip got cancelled, but now I'm thinking sometime in March or April I'll try to go up to DC since I've still somehow never been there.
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.