News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

LilianaUwU

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 03, 2021, 10:42:47 PM
So, Google listened to my request of covering something that wasn't covered... but they covered the wrong branch of the intersection. Ugh.

They finally did it.

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jeffandnicole

I do believe Google Maps is getting worse. I don't know if it's taking bad information from the public, or it's just not generating proper data. Today when I was looking at a route from Delaware to New Jersey and selected the no tolls option, it wanted me to skip all the bridges from the Delaware Memorial Bridge up to the Trenton Makes Bridge. There are no tolls crossing into New Jersey at any of these bridges, so it should have directed me to take the most direct route via the Delaware Memorial.

Rothman

The My Maps app dissolution and transfer to the web was sloppily done.  Now, if you have a shared map open, it is almost impossible to get rid of it if accessing maps from Google Maps on a desktop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Apple maps updated with two new roads that opened last week (US 35 in WV and Opportunity Corridor in Cleveland), while Google maps hasn't as of now. So much for the most used map when it can't even be the first to update with new roads.

Caps81943

Anyone having trouble traveling down roads? If I click farther than, maybe, 5 clicks ahead, it defaults to just the one click in front of me.

bm7

Quote from: Caps81943 on December 07, 2021, 12:27:16 AM
Anyone having trouble traveling down roads? If I click farther than, maybe, 5 clicks ahead, it defaults to just the one click in front of me.
It's always been like that as far as I can remember. You just have to make sure not to click too far down the road. And sometimes the angle of the road line to move forwards is different than it is in the actual image, so you might have to adjust where you're clicking between different captures.

webny99

Quote from: bm7 on December 07, 2021, 12:34:51 AM
It's always been like that as far as I can remember. You just have to make sure not to click too far down the road. And sometimes the angle of the road line to move forwards is different than it is in the actual image, so you might have to adjust where you're clicking between different captures.

I've always had issues with trying to click too far down the road, but it's gotten worse recently. Sometimes clicks that used to move a normal distance will now only move a tiny distance.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2021, 07:55:42 AM

I've always had issues with trying to click too far down the road, but it's gotten worse recently. Sometimes clicks that used to move a normal distance will now only move a tiny distance.
I know, what the heck happened to "scanning" distance? :angry:
Guess we're back to the old days where only steps using the arrows were allowed :popcorn:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

stevashe

I just came to this thread specifically to see if anyone else had this issue recently, so I am certain that this is a new problem. Yes, it has always (or at least for a long time) defaulted to the nearest point if you aim too far ahead, but as of about a week ago, the distance you're able to move was drastically reduced. So, either a recent update broke something, or they purposely reduced the amount you can move in streetview with each click. Either way, I hope this is fixed soon.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: stevashe on December 08, 2021, 08:32:00 PM

I just came to this thread specifically to see if anyone else had this issue recently, so I am certain that this is a new problem. Yes, it has always (or at least for a long time) defaulted to the nearest point if you aim too far ahead, but as of about a week ago, the distance you're able to move was drastically reduced. So, either a recent update broke something, or they purposely reduced the amount you can move in streetview with each click. Either way, I hope this is fixed soon.

I can confirm that this happened to me too. It gets super annoying when I'm trying to find something and get forced to go at a snail's pace.
—Mr. Thwomp

jakeroot

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 08, 2021, 08:46:59 PM

I can confirm that this happened to me too. It gets super annoying when I'm trying to find something and get forced to go at a snail's pace.

So far, mine will move to wherever the circle on the screen is floating, but if I point too far away from the current position, an "X" appears on the ground, usually a few car lengths away, and that's where I end up instead. That said, I do seem to remember being able to move like a half-mile at a time if I wanted. But frankly, I did that more often accidentally than intentionally, so it seems possible they disabled that feature.

CNGL-Leudimin

Yep, things have been slowed down. I used to routinely reach 400 km/h (~250 mph) when cruising on Street View, now I'll be lucky if I reach 200 km/h (~125 mph). Thus, my trips will require at least double the time to complete, so good bye doing 300 miles at once like I did in the past. However I've discovered this only happens with the newest images.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

GCrites

What's funny is I determined it was doing it while I was clicking through a construction zone. So I was like.

"Oh, it's slowed down due to the construction.

When I get out it will speed back up.

Wait, why would it do that?

Does it take more pictures in the construction because the car is driving slower?

We'll see once we get out of the construction.

Hmm nope, still slow.

Maybe it's my computer?"

STLmapboy

Same here. Seems to happen in urban areas more and in newer imagery.

Google Maps keeps finding new and exciting ways to fuck up.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember a few years ago, I was halfway through the Giro d'Italia route when suddenly I couldn't advance as far as I could, instead being forced to go photo by photo. They fixed that a while afterwards.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 02:08:00 PM
When trying to go on US-64 west, google maps puts the street view on the eastbound traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8340957,-78.3131934,3a,47y,317.27h,83.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skv6h64oBldqRQApUmPUeGA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dkv6h64oBldqRQApUmPUeGA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D24.089464%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

wtf
That's a very annoying bug I've encountered many times on GSV (in Houston especially). I'll be surfing along the Gulf freeway, then all of a sudden, it throws me to the HOV lane, the feeder, or even the main lanes in the other direction, claiming it's "I-45" when in fact it is not. It seems to be most prevalent when you have separated travel lanes fairly close to each other, as in your example.

Another extremely annoying thing about GSV is that there's no way to "lock" the time the GSV photos were taken on the "time machine" in the top left corner. As an example, let's say I want to look at the new TX-288 toll lanes on GSV. I'm looking at some April 2021 imagery, but then I click the next step and it reverts to 2016 imagery or something like that. Or maybe I want to see how a road looked in 2012, and it keeps reverting back to 2019 imagery. Worst of all, I've discovered the default is sometimes not the newest imagery when you're clicking around (but maybe that's a separate complaint). I wish that you could lock your imagery to "April 2021" or whatever to avoid this.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 14, 2021, 03:07:59 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 02:08:00 PM
When trying to go on US-64 west, google maps puts the street view on the eastbound traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8340957,-78.3131934,3a,47y,317.27h,83.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skv6h64oBldqRQApUmPUeGA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dkv6h64oBldqRQApUmPUeGA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D24.089464%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

wtf
That's a very annoying bug I've encountered many times on GSV (in Houston especially). I'll be surfing along the Gulf freeway, then all of a sudden, it throws me to the HOV lane, the feeder, or even the main lanes in the other direction, claiming it's "I-45" when in fact it is not. It seems to be most prevalent when you have separated travel lanes fairly close to each other, as in your example.

Another extremely annoying thing about GSV is that there's no way to "lock" the time the GSV photos were taken on the "time machine" in the top left corner. As an example, let's say I want to look at the new TX-288 toll lanes on GSV. I'm looking at some April 2021 imagery, but then I click the next step and it reverts to 2016 imagery or something like that. Or maybe I want to see how a road looked in 2012, and it keeps reverting back to 2019 imagery. Worst of all, I've discovered the default is sometimes not the newest imagery when you're clicking around (but maybe that's a separate complaint). I wish that you could lock your imagery to "April 2021" or whatever to avoid this.
Seconded!
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

GCrites

^Been just grinning and bearing it as I click through.

LilianaUwU

I gotta say I agree with Corey, but it would be hard to lock to one specific year if coverage is lacking on one road or the other. Perhaps it could be locked to a specific year unless there's no coverage in that year?
—Mr. Thwomp

tolbs17

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 20, 2021, 04:46:01 PM
It appears that this does not take you anywhere - https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0925732,-95.0181836,14.71z
The road isn't built yet. I have no idea why Google is marking it as of now. It will eventually form a loop of Houston.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

The roads are just a bit off around this park in Nuevo Loredo:

jakeroot

There seems to be a pretty jarring line in the satellite imagery, as though there is something missing. I suppose that would be the explanation?

tolbs17

Not sure if you guys can see it, but some of the ramps are showing as white instead of orange.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9586787,-77.7875554,17.42z

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.