1980 map on current webpage?

Started by texaskdog, March 14, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Had to laugh when I looked up the Slaughter Creek bike trail and "trails.com" has a map that has to be from about 1980 on it  :banghead:

http://www.trails.com/topomap.aspx?trailid=HGS458-052

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

That's the USGS topos. Check out Terraserver (msrmaps.com) or ACME Mapper (mapper.acme.com) and you can look at the old quads all you want. Some of them still have US 66 on them - even as far as to lack I-55/44/40!

flowmotion

Here's an old map curiosity - I found this a web page last year. (It's for the San Francisco peak-to-peak walking route).

Considering that it shows the planned freeways, I'm guessing the basemap must date to the 1960s, if not older. You wonder where they found this.

Alex

Quote from: texaskdog on March 14, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
Had to laugh when I looked up the Slaughter Creek bike trail and "trails.com" has a map that has to be from about 1980 on it  :banghead:

Trails.com took over the topozone.com web site in 2007, which until then was my main source for viewing USGS topos. Nowadays I use the Site Mapper on Geocommunicator.gov. You will notice that the different scales of the quads due vary temporally. I will say, as Steve mentioned, that quads can be a good source for finding old US and State Routes. They are also good for determining if an interchange was added after the initial construction of the freeway.

TheStranger

Quote from: flowmotion on March 14, 2012, 07:56:54 PM
Here's an old map curiosity - I found this a web page last year. (It's for the San Francisco peak-to-peak walking route).

Considering that it shows the planned freeways, I'm guessing the basemap must date to the 1960s, if not older. You wonder where they found this.

That looks like an early-60s map of the area from what is now Caltrans, I've seen similar stuff up at Cahighways.org.

Also note the lack of Interstate shields, and US 101 running on Alemany (pre-Southern Freeway)!
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

^You sure that's not a Thomas Bros. map?

NE2

It's Caltrans (1963). Note the removed and blank shields, and the deleted SAN FRANCISCO text (especially where the I crosses Mission).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

flowmotion

Thanks for the info - quite bizarre they pulled that map off cahighways

empirestate

Quote from: texaskdog on March 14, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

I wouldn't expect a USGS topo to be substantially newer than 1980 in most areas (especially at the 100k and 250k scales). But if you think there should be a newer one, remember that you can now get all years and all scales at usgs.gov (currently excluding FL, MA, AK, HI, territories, a few missing maps in their file, and overedge quads...) For example, I never even knew there was an old 1x1 degree, 125k scale series!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.