News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Bickendan on May 11, 2012, 01:01:05 AM
For that matter, why do Japan and the British Isles get a different symbology from the rest of the world?
(With that said, the Japan/British symbology looks cleaner than the rest of the worlds x.x)

Symbology in the British isles is much more standardized than in America. Every British map I've seen uses blue lines for the motorways, green lines for the A roads... it would probably not do much for their UK market share if they did their own thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

^^ there's a few exceptions to that (and green lines are primary routes, not A roads) - Michelin being the biggest one (and older mapping being similar in using line thickness to designate primary/trunk routes)

Typically you get this:
Motorways: Blue - signed with blue signs
Primary Routes: Green - signed with green signs
National Secondary roads (RoI): dotted green lines (OS Ireland)/red/green (Google) - signed with green signs
Other A Roads: Red/orange (Google) - signed with white signs
B Roads: Brown (OS)/yellow - signed with white signs
Other roads: yellow & white (OS)/white

Google's recent changes have caused all sorts of annoyance, with blue being used for non-motorway roads, roads being given colour by importance and quality, rather than A-B-other (many B roads show in red, some in white. Ditto unclassified roads. A roads shown in yellow). This adds to the existing ignorance of convention on motorway ramps (which as they are motorway, are normally showed in blue) - they even show full on motorway spurs as red or green. Most of the blatant ones have been corrected following SABRE's complaints (and one or two took a couple of goes to do).

Scott5114

Quote from: english si on May 12, 2012, 07:20:08 AM
Most of the blatant ones have been corrected following SABRE's complaints (and one or two took a couple of goes to do).

Good on SABRE for fighting the good fight–you've seen the reception most AARoads members have had.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Kacie Jane

After seeing this thread linked in the RMcN thread, I clicked some of the links on Page 1 just for shits and giggles.

I think most of the more idiotic errors have been fixed, but sure enough, you can still find U.S. 2200 in Illinois, 2 1/2 years after it was first posted here.

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2012, 11:20:21 PM
Symbology in the British isles is much more standardized than in America. Every British map I've seen uses blue lines for the motorways, green lines for the A roads...
I think green is actually reserved for the "primary route network", which is the set of roads on which signs have a green background.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

national highway 1

Yes, they are supposed to form a grid of the primary A Road network across Great Britain.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

connroadgeek

U.S. 6 in the Hartford CT area is mislabeled as "U.S. Route 6 in Nevada" and "U.S. Route 6 in Illinois."

Kacie Jane

ibagli

A township road in rural Ohio now has an Interstate 177 shield. (And as a companion to the US-xx in yy issues, much of US-62 in Ohio and probably elsewhere has been labeled "Brownfield Highway.")

HighwayMaster

Quote from: ibagli on May 13, 2012, 12:55:13 AM
A township road in rural Ohio now has an Interstate 177 shield. (And as a companion to the US-xx in yy issues, much of US-62 in Ohio and probably elsewhere has been labeled "Brownfield Highway.")
Not anymore. BTW, there was one time when US-62 was shown multiplexed with US-180 from El Paso to Niagara.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

roadman65

US 20 at where it crosses I-81 in LaFayette, NY is marked "US 20 in Illinois" for some reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2012, 08:23:05 PM
US 20 at where it crosses I-81 in LaFayette, NY is marked "US 20 in Illinois" for some reason.

-

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2012, 09:01:26 PM
The next person who brings up a "U.S. Route X in XXXX" error will be viciously and repeatedly slapped in the face with a fish.

lol. :)

Kacie Jane

Okay, seriously.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

When I first posted my "response" to connroadgeek -- note my post was edited -- I just posted a picture of some salmon.  Then I went to the Google and cued up the fish slapping dance so that I could build up to it and use it later.  Then I realized, "No, that's stupid."  I prayed that it wouldn't be necessary, that people would be intelligent, and there wouldn't be the opportunity to "build up to it".  Now sadly, I've come to realize that this is the Internet, and the Internet is populated primarily by idiots (not unlike the real world).

In all seriousness, this is a discussion board.  You can not hope to jump into a middle of a discussion, repeat things we've already discussed (repeatedly), and expect us not to think you asshole or idiot.  The past conversation is here for you to read.  I realize that 17 pages is a lot -- maybe you don't have to read them all; on other sites where this issue has come up, the consensus seemed to be that you should familiarize yourself with at least the last 2 pages before you jump into a conversation.  Otherwise, you're just being rude.

So no more fish-slapping.  I have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting about U.S. X in XXXX errors now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Okay, not really.  But seriously.  Everyone.  Stop.

roadman65

The point of me stating that US 20 in Illinois was in line with the topic!  Lafayette, NY is not in Illinois, obviously.  So therefore, it is a mistake.  However, if it did say US 20 in New York or whatever city, county, or jurisdiction that the place is in, it would not be a mistake and I, for sure, would have not posted it.

If you want to get upset over posts, why not get worried over someone against Google patronizing an establishment in Breezewood.  That makes no sense unless we took an oath to Boycot the town's businesses, which we did not.  Yet. it appears that one person stated that Google should not be at a business operating in Breezewood.  Another got mad and answered him and asking if the poster is mad at him cause he patronized Broezwood.

Some of us take things to seriously here.  As far as being rude, what about the other roadman66 posting  a thread wondering why there are missing gaps in the interstate numbering grid, but he did not ask it that way.  Instead he asked like an idiot  " How come there is no interstate 1,2, 3...32,33, 34 etc.?"  Then he used an icon  of the curious face instead of asking in detail which if he did not.  That was rude there.  If he had posted by asking the question in detail it would have not been rude.

Two other users made fun of his thread and the moderator stepped in there, and he stated that we should not poke fun and answer the damned question.  He was right in that matter, but roadman66 was rude in the way he asked his question and with that ethanman8675309 or whatever his name is bugging everyone already, it caused that reaction to it.

Nonetheless, I did not get angry myself and tell him off, but did later jump in and say that if no one pointed out his question sounding dumb he would asked about the letter routes in NY in the same fashion. 

Anyway, back to my point.  It was valid and it was in regards to what this post is about. Yes, I got anxious when I first joined and I quickly learned how to use this forum.  Granted, I still sometimes leave out parts of sentences that cause my point to get lost, but I responded back that I made a mistake.  If I offended anyone here, I am sorry, tut US 20 is not in the US state that the map there said it was at the place and that is incorrectly marked on the google map in my opinion!

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

(talking as a normal user and not an Admin here)
Well, I just have to admit that some people are getting annoyed about people mentioning that error again, and again.  In fact, US-20 was one of the first ones to be reported here.

So, I just decided to redo the fish video again to lighten up the thread.  Come on, that video is hilarious. :bigass:

roadman65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 20, 2012, 01:44:09 AM
(talking as a normal user and not an Admin here)
Well, I just have to admit that some people are getting annoyed about people mentioning that error again, and again.  In fact, US-20 was one of the first ones to be reported here.

So, I just decided to redo the fish video again to lighten up the thread.  Come on, that video is hilarious. :bigass:

Yeah it was, I am not mad at that or anyone.  I just wanted to know how that was a mistake.  I should have read it more carefully, before I posted.  I was on google before and saw it and thought it was a good idea.  My ignorance led me to believe that no one else would have posted that fact already ( you have to admit the odds are well against it). 

Kacie Jane's post caused a reaction to me and I did want her to know that I knew what we were talking about.  Sometimes, it is hard to go through the posts when it is over a page long.  Sometimes, you can read them and still miss one.  I have done that and then some others have as well.  I posted once something and later on another user posted the same as me.  I even posted the wrong word and NE 2 corrected me that 42 and 24 are NOT recipricals!  Now, I know that it is a word used for fractions being reversed between numerator and denominater.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2012, 01:36:13 AM
The point of me stating that US 20 in Illinois was in line with the topic!  Lafayette, NY is not in Illinois, obviously.  So therefore, it is a mistake.  However, if it did say US 20 in New York or whatever city, county, or jurisdiction that the place is in, it would not be a mistake and I, for sure, would have not posted it.
That type of error happens so often in Google Maps these days that it just goes without saying.

QuoteIf you want to get upset over posts, why not get worried over someone against Google patronizing an establishment in Breezewood.  That makes no sense unless we took an oath to Boycot the town's businesses, which we did not.  Yet. it appears that one person stated that Google should not be at a business operating in Breezewood.  Another got mad and answered him and asking if the poster is mad at him cause he patronized Broezwood.
First, it was mostly sarcastic.  Second, you do realize that those businesses have been using their bought out politicians to prevent PA from fixing a major deficiency in the road infrastructure of the area (namely, I-70 traveling on surface streets; it's both annoying and unsafe for travelers, all because a few businesses don't want to adapt to changing surroundings)?  As a roadgeek, I can't say I like them very much.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kacie Jane

I apologize if I came off as too harsh, but I honestly think that after over a month -- four pages of discussion -- it was time for someone to explain exactly why people are getting annoyed and slapping each other with fishes.  And roadman65, I think you still somewhat missed my point.

I was calling you rude for one reason, and one reason only.  It was not for your poor grammar (which has vastly improved), or for posting off-topic (because it was certainly on-topic).  It was for reposting something that has already been mentioned multiple times on each of the past four pages.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2012, 01:54:57 AMMy ignorance led me to believe that no one else would have posted that fact already ( you have to admit the odds are well against it).

I'll admit that the odds would be well against it, IF that were the only place this error had occurred.  But it's not, and we've spent the past month talking about how several different U.S. highways are mislabeled for their entire length.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2012, 01:54:57 AM
Sometimes, it is hard to go through the posts when it is over a page long.  Sometimes, you can read them and still miss one.

Yes, and I acknowledged that.  I'm not saying that you have to read all 17 pages before you post in this thread.  If someone repeats something someone said once ten pages ago, that's fine.  But you didn't even have to go back two pages like I suggest... just four posts above you connroadgeek posted about U.S. 6 being mislabelled, and I responded with an amusing video of two men slapping each other with fish.  That should have been a clue that something is amiss.

Just read a page or two so that you know what you're responding to, that's all I ask.

hbelkins

If this thread causes so much indigestion, why don't the mods lock it?

I've seen topics locked for much less.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Kacie Jane

It may be worth starting fresh on a new thread, provided that it's made clear U.S. X in XXXX mentions are banned from the get-go.  (Unless, God forbid, Google actually fixes them.)

Or I could just remove the stick from my ass, either way.

kphoger

I think it's in the Bible to remove the stick from your own ass before slapping your brother with a fish.  I'm not sure exactly, but Jesus might have used different words.

probably Aramaic ones....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

At this point, posting "US X is labeled US X in <state>" is the same thing as saying water is wet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: deanej on May 21, 2012, 01:56:57 PM
At this point, posting "US X is labeled US X in <state>" is the same thing as saying water is wet.

I have added a news item mentioning it at the top of the forum. Hopefully this helps with the issue...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.