News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oregon ends its 72-year ban on self-service gasoline

Started by ZLoth, June 26, 2023, 08:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayStar

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 01, 2023, 06:17:33 AM
Quote from: HighwayStar on July 31, 2023, 12:23:49 PM
This was always a stupid requirement, so getting rid of it makes sense, but it does little to make me want to go to Oregon with the laundry list of other problems the state city of Portland has.
FIXED  :awesomeface:

The problem is Portland runs that state, so even the decent rural areas are headed downhill.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

ErmineNotyours

One time around 1998, I waited at a convenience store gas station south of Portland on 43.  An employee came out and asked me if I wanted him to fill up the car, and I said, "I think you have to."  Maybe he saw my Washington plates and thought he could get away with making me do it.

Then in 2010 at the one gas pump at Crater Lake National Park, I waited in line behind one car for the pump.  Then I proceeded to serve myself.  Then I thought, "I'm in Oregon, and I'm pumping my own gas.  I'm such a rebel."  Maybe Federal rules supersede state rules at a National Park.

Bruce

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/dSptTQ59QHUtZ6rU8
GSV already has captioning of someone pumping their own gas already. It's October last year and pan the image around as the marquee on the Sinclair Sign has self serve mentioned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: roadman65 on August 14, 2023, 07:09:16 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/dSptTQ59QHUtZ6rU8
GSV already has captioning of someone pumping their own gas already. It's October last year and pan the image around as the marquee on the Sinclair Sign has self serve mentioned.

Self-serve has been allowed in rural counties (with populations below 40K) since 2018. Ontario is in such a county, so this isn't strange at all.

During my road trips through Oregon these past few years, I was able to pump my own gas at plenty of stations. Just not at Costco or in the Willamette Valley.

Dellbeam

That leaves New Jersey as the only state in the US that bans self-service for gas stations.

ErmineNotyours

I drove through part of Oregon yesterday, on 99W between I-5 and Newberg.  I gassed up before I got there, but I wondered if the self-service pumps would be clearly marked, since half the pumps still have to be at least mini-serve.  I saw one sign for an aisle of self-service pumps, but all the other stations I saw were either still all full/mini, or they haven't had a chance to make professional signs yet.  Like any big change, it seems confusing.  :confused:

Scott5114

It's been, what, ten days since the bill was signed? Most large companies can't even get around to considering to think about planning to create a committee to study the possibility of maybe making a provisional change to their business policies in that time, much less implementing it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

My wife had an odd comment for me regarding this topic.  She said that she felt glad to see two full service gas station states in the United States in her lifetime.  I thought that sentiment was odd considering she visits family in Jalisco every year (where full service is common).

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2023, 12:28:23 PM
Did the station not have the ability to just pay with a credit card?  I honestly don't understand the fetish for apps that EV owners and charging companies seem to have.

Putting credit card readers on EV chargers and maintaining them costs money. Making everyone use the app you were going to develop anyway is cheaper. And since early adopters of EVs are pretty much all tech bros who are totally comfortable using an app for absolutely everything, the charging companies have gotten away with it for a while.

The good news is that as of earlier this year the feds now require any new EV chargers installed using federal funds to accept payment by credit or debit card, and the industry seems to have come to the realization that that will be necessary if they want to expand their customer base to include normal people.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2023, 10:38:49 PM
It's been, what, ten days since the bill was signed? Most large companies can't even get around to considering to think about planning to create a committee to study the possibility of maybe making a provisional change to their business policies in that time, much less implementing it.

That's probably true for Safeway and Kroger (Fred Meyer), but your typical "branded" gas station could implement it much faster as they tend to be jobbers and independent franchisees just with a "name" on the sign.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.