News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Does anyone still watch live TV?

Started by PNWRoadgeek, July 28, 2023, 03:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWRoadgeek

I personally, don't. Streaming services are just nicer to use in my humble opinion. But live TV was fun.
I will clinch the Interstate system someday(hopefully)...

JayhawkCO

NWI_Irish96

I watch live news and sports, but I never watch scripted shows live.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

95 percent of what I watch live at this point is NASCAR.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

Sports, the news, and Jeopardy. With sports and Jeopardy I sometimes watch via the DVR instead of live, especially F1 racing and likely the next few US Women's World Cup games, in both cases due to the time difference. (I got up at 1:45 AM to watch the US play Mexico in the 2002 World Cup, but getting up to watch a 3:00 AM game this coming Tuesday just isn't going to happen. It's a lot easier to get through the workday on short sleep when you're 29 than it is when you're 50.)

With Jeopardy when we watch live I often find myself grabbing the remote to try to fast-forward through the commercials and then when it doesn't work I realize we're watching live.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Only for live sports (because it's a minute ahead of streaming), for news, and maybe a game show or two (usually watch Let's Make A Deal and The Price is Right at the office). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Just sports.  My wife is into live parades during the holiday season, so guess those are on in the background.

Big John

Yes, but rarely any non-sport network shows.

SectorZ

Sports, Jeopardy, almost anything else I personally watch I tend to DVR and watch as mother nature intended, especially on stations I am already paying to watch (looking at you Discovery and your 42 minutes of programming placed into a 68 minute long time slot).

Hobart

I don't, mainly because I'd need to get an antenna to do so. I don't stream either. I'm entertained enough between looking for jobs, browsing eBay, and watching free stuff on YouTube, so I don't see the point except maybe to watch like, two shows (which I can probably find... "somewhere else" anyways).

If something bad happens and I really need to tune into the news, I'll get out my radio. I actually listen to live content on that more often than I watch live content on television.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Rothman

Other than the Super Bowl and New Year's Eve, not at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

elsmere241

We dropped cable a while back, and found that we didn't miss it much.  I got an antenna for one of our TVs, but can't seem to get it in the right place to pick up Jeopardy.  We have Roku and Fire but don't use them very much.  I did catch the tail end of the Super Bowl, but that's been about it.  I don't really miss TV news either.

Road Hog

Local weather coverage, although in July and August it gets rather boring here.

Bruce

Sports and the occasional news broadcast, but both are streamed online. I do try to keep up with some TV shows on a weekly basis so that discussions aren't stale by the time I get to them (and hate the binge model), but there's not enough time in the day for that.

ZLoth

Football, but mainly that Dallas team and maybe that San Francisco team if it's airing locally.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

News and Sports mainly but the rest its streaming.

vdeane

Mostly news, but a couple other things as detailed below:
-Local news (News10 at home, News8 when visiting my parents, usually the local ABC affiliate when traveling, but it varies by schedule)
-ABC World News Tonight (or the CBS news when visiting my parents, since Mom prefers that one and News8 is a CBS affiliate)
-ABC's This Week
-Empire State Weekly*
-Young Sheldon
-Ghosts
-Holey Moley**
-The Prank Panel***

*Empire State Weekly is a New York state version of CBS's Meet The Press produced by News10 for air across the state on Nextar's stations serving New York.  That said, the air times are less than convenient for most people outside of the Capital District, as the other stations serving the larger media markets air it really early for some reason (and then there's the Burlington/Plattsburgh station airing it at 11 PM).
**I suspect that ABC has quiet cancelled Holey Moley given that nothing has been announced since season 4 wrapped, but there were rumors that they might shoot season 5 in Australia, so who knows.
***At least now that it's on Thursdays.  I'm busy Sunday at 8, so I was catching it on Hulu those weeks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

It depends on what you mean by "live tv." Do you mean a program transmitted more or less at the same time it is being created? Or do you mean a program transmitted only at set scheduled times?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TheHighwayMan3561

I can't remember the last time I deliberately watched non-sports programming on linear TV at its specific first-run air time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on July 28, 2023, 08:04:54 PMFootball, but mainly that Dallas team and maybe that San Francisco team if it's airing locally.

Let me amend my statement... it has been almost two DECADES since I watched "live" television. Pre-streaming, I had Dish Network (2001-2003) and DirecTV (2003-2018), and in both cases, I had a DVR so that I could record programming for later playback and skip over commercials. Part of this was out of necessity as I had returned to college as an older student, thus studies took precedence over the latest episode of whatever show I was interested in. Over the past 15 years, television's importance in my life declined to non-existent because other items became more important such as my career and being an adult caregiver. Five years of being on graveyard shift didn't help. The only televisions in my home is in the master bedroom (which my mother occupies) and in my home office.

As for Dallas football, you can blame my next door neighbor for that and inviting me over to watch the games. But, they passed away at the beginning of the year.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

zachary_amaryllis

My mother lives for CBS Sunday Morning.

I feel like this show, is like I'm in a room where everyone's laughing, and I don't get the joke. Targeted at people who are wayyyyyy above me.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 29, 2023, 01:49:42 AM
It depends on what you mean by "live tv." Do you mean a program transmitted more or less at the same time it is being created? Or do you mean a program transmitted only at set scheduled times?

Live TV is generally meant as something that is currently being transmitted--the earliest you could possibly watch that program regardless of when it was created.

MikeTheActuary

The only things I watch on a linear TV service are the local morning news, the occasional football (real football, aka soccer) game, and I tend to keep business/financial news from one of a couple of sources playing as background noise during the workday.  (If it were just my business news background noise, I would probably say I didn't "watch live TV", considering it streaming, even though it is technically "linear TV".)

We dropped our DirecTV subscription years ago, shifting first to PSVue, and then to YouTubeTV when Vue shut down.  I've maintained the YTTV subscription mostly to keep my wife happy, but her video consumption habits seem finally to be shifting to streaming services.   At some point I'll talk her into agreeing that YTTV can be mostly dropped (although I might come back for a month every couple of years if that were the only way to watch World Cup games).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on July 29, 2023, 09:40:29 AM
The only things I watch on a linear TV service are the local morning news, the occasional football (real football, aka soccer) game, and I tend to keep business/financial news from one of a couple of sources playing as background noise during the workday.  (If it were just my business news background noise, I would probably say I didn't "watch live TV", considering it streaming, even though it is technically "linear TV".)

We dropped our DirecTV subscription years ago, shifting first to PSVue, and then to YouTubeTV when Vue shut down.  I've maintained the YTTV subscription mostly to keep my wife happy, but her video consumption habits seem finally to be shifting to streaming services.   At some point I'll talk her into agreeing that YTTV can be mostly dropped (although I might come back for a month every couple of years if that were the only way to watch World Cup games).

At a minimum, half of the final group stage games will be on cable, as they are played simultaneously. With 2026 expanding to 48 teams, they might decide to go with more simultaneous (or at least overlapping) games to compress the schedule.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.