News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 10:28:17 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
I just checked the Johns Hopkins dashboard, and less than an hour ago it showed an increase of out-of-China cases today. But now it only lists around 10k. And everything says "no data". What happened?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

OK, now the total cases looks fine, but the total death is no longer available

Back to normal now

Not really--they've been showing signs of falling victim to their own success since before they dropped county-level display for the US and Canada.  Besides the "No data" and "Cannot access data source" error messages I've seen, their figures are now severely out of date for many jurisdictions.  For example, they are now showing the US with 1268 cases when they were showing 1663 yesterday, and neither yesterday nor today have they picked up the four additional cases Kansas now has (we went from one in Johnson County to five in 24 hours, four in Johnson County and one in Wyandotte County).  And they were showing Italy with 12,462 cases all day yesterday even though the new figure (15,113 cases) had been released by the Italian civil protection authorities shortly after noon Central time.

Edit:  The Kansas case total is now six, with one case (Sedgwick County's first) at Wesley Hospital in Wichita.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hotdogPi

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2020, 12:20:04 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 10:28:17 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
I just checked the Johns Hopkins dashboard, and less than an hour ago it showed an increase of out-of-China cases today. But now it only lists around 10k. And everything says "no data". What happened?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

OK, now the total cases looks fine, but the total death is no longer available

Back to normal now

Not really--they've been showing signs of falling victim to their own success since before they dropped county-level display for the US and Canada.  Besides the "No data" and "Cannot access data source" error messages I've seen, their figures are now severely out of date for many jurisdictions.  For example, they are now showing the US with 1268 cases when they were showing 1663 yesterday, and neither yesterday nor today have they picked up the four additional cases Kansas now has (we went from one in Johnson County to five in 24 hours, four in Johnson County and one in Wyandotte County).  And they were showing Italy with 12,462 cases all day yesterday even though the new figure (15,113 cases) had been released by the Italian civil protection authorities shortly after noon Central time.

CA, TX, FL, MI, GA, OR, and a few others are missing.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vdeane

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on March 12, 2020, 10:15:30 PM
So this might become like Italy? Now I'm scared.

LGL322DL

That is indeed what Governor Cuomo announced yesterday:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-new-york-will-see-same-trajectory-of-cases-as-china-south-korea-and-italy-gov-cuomo-says.html

Quote from: 1 on March 13, 2020, 09:27:48 AM
Does anyone know whether Alaska is canceling things or not? They have no cases yet, and they're isolated from the rest of the country.
They actually do have a case:
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03/13/first-positive-alaska-coronavirus-case-identified/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

The latest Protezione Civile bulletin is out.  Cases in Italy increased from 15,113 to 17,660 over the last 24 hours, which is only a 16% increase, lower than the 20%-30% daily increases before and for the first few days of the lockdown.  So it looks like things may be starting to come under control there.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

Here's a county-level map for Washington that is updated frequently with state data.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/albert.froling8261#!/vizhome/COVIDDashboard/COVID19WAState

So far: King County has 270 cases, Snohomish has 108, Pierce has 17, and others have less than 4.

ixnay

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2020, 09:51:16 PM
Hymns inappropriate for use when churches reopen: "Crown Him with Many Crowns."  :-o

Why?

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 12, 2020, 07:52:37 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:44:09 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 12, 2020, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:33:46 PM
Ironic that people are cancelling trips and I'm trying to plan one.  I'm not looking to go over far, though.

Have a family Spring Break trip planned to Hilton Head booked through VRBO.  Got an email notifying me that they will not be issuing any refunds to people who cancel trips, so I guess we're going.  Not sure what we'll do if the flight gets canceled.
I say drive it.  Shouldn't be much traffic.

Amtrak hasn't suspended any services completely on the national network, just cut back on Acela service by two trips.  So that's an option.

Amtrak doesn't go from here to there, at least not in any way that doesn't take multiple days.

The railroads didn't do that back in the day, either.

ixnay

UnumProvident101

I'm from Chattanooga, TN and now my county has one case of the Coronavirus and now the state of Tennessee is under a state of emergency

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2020, 01:38:51 PM
The latest Protezione Civile bulletin is out.  Cases in Italy increased from 15,113 to 17,660 over the last 24 hours, which is only a 16% increase, lower than the 20%-30% daily increases before and for the first few days of the lockdown.  So it looks like things may be starting to come under control there.
Maybe they stopped counting.
https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538
Quote5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I'm saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest.

hotdogPi

The two countries with the most cases and 0 deaths are Denmark and Norway. Sweden has only 1 death; everyone above them has 7 or more.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 13, 2020, 04:01:25 PM
The two countries with the most cases and 0 deaths are Denmark and Norway. Sweden has only 1 death; everyone above them has 7 or more.

New York State I believe currently has 325 cases and no deaths reported (yet).

Quote from: ixnay on March 13, 2020, 02:58:17 PM
Hymns inappropriate for use when churches reopen: "Crown Him with Many Crowns."  :-o
Why?

Just what I was going to ask.  :hmmm:

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on March 13, 2020, 04:04:31 PM
Why?

Look up the meaning of "corona" .

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 1 on March 13, 2020, 04:01:25 PM

New York State I believe currently has 325 cases and no deaths reported (yet).

Update: NY now has more than 400
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on March 13, 2020, 03:58:36 PM

Hmmm.  Hard to say--"not assessed" is not quite the same as saying no samples are taken when the person dies (as is how Kansas detected its first community-spread case).  But, yes, things are still looking quite grim in Italy either way.

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2020, 04:39:11 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 13, 2020, 03:58:36 PM

Hmmm.  Hard to say--"not assessed" is not quite the same as saying no samples are taken when the person dies (as is how Kansas detected its first community-spread case).  But, yes, things are still looking quite grim in Italy either way.
I assume it works like that:
Sample taken, labeled, put in a fridge for later analysis;
body bagged, labeled, loaded on a truck for dumping in mass grave;
ID is kept in the bottom drawer with a post-it note with date for eventual issuance of death certificate

Priority should be given to helping those who can be helped. Those who don't need urgent help (still breathing or already not breathing) can wait.

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

DaBigE

Quote from: US 89 on March 13, 2020, 04:18:25 PM
Why?

And the number of people that will actually make that connection?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

noelbotevera

Well, school's cancelled for the next two weeks. I'll be returning to school on March 30th.

Thoughts on it so far:
-Why's everybody buying so much toilet paper? How's that going to help?
-Isolation isn't the best way to deal with the outbreak (yes, Poland did that during the Black Death but technology has progressed). South Korea's approach (watch the confirmed cases very closely, and test literally everyone) works the best, considering the statistics so far (7,979 cases, 71 deaths).
-Obviously, we're doing a terrible job containing it, since we're at 2,210 cases and don't have the resources to thoroughly test everyone.
-I haven't felt terrible so far, except for a bout of stomach flu (my fault), and some minor colds. Pretty sure I'll be fine.
-Our house declared tissue and toilet paper rationing. I don't use much of both, so that's not a problem.
-Using the panic to plan a trip out of town this weekend. Might go to Ocean City, the Chesapeake Bay, Black Moshannon State Park...
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

Quote from: DaBigE on March 13, 2020, 05:02:20 PM
Quote from: US 89 on March 13, 2020, 04:18:25 PM
Why?

And the number of people that will actually make that connection?

So someone shouldn't make a pun because not everyone will get it?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 13, 2020, 05:29:47 PM

Because everyone's fat, and they make massive messes every time they visit the toilet. At least that's my guess! :-D They're buying it up because they don't plan on leaving home for a while. Too bad more people don't have bidets.

People also aren't very thrifty with toilet paper, judging by how often toilets get backed up.

As someone with a pretty healthy diet and body (as of lately), I rarely go through a roll of TP quicker than two or three weeks. I have about 20 rolls in a utility room just from regular shopping.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jakeroot on March 13, 2020, 05:36:42 PM

Because everyone's fat, and they make massive messes every time they visit the toilet. At least that's my guess! :-D They're buying it up because they don't plan on leaving home for a while. Too bad more people don't have bidets.
Quick tangent on bidets: finally figured out the proper term for them (used to call them "fancy toilet seats"), after remembering using one at Au Pied du Cochon, a restaurant in Montreal. Probably the best bathroom break in my life, since the bidet had heated seats and a gentle spray option. Really want to buy one of those bidets when I have the cash, rather than installing an entire basin.

Of course, there's the Filipino bidet...a small cup of (preferably hot) water (500 mL measuring cup is what we use) and your fingers coated with soap. Some conservative toilet paper use later to dry off, and you've got a clean bum (and wash your hands of course!).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Max Rockatansky

People also aren't very thrifty with toilet paper, judging by how often toilets get backed up.

As someone with a pretty healthy diet and body (as of lately), I rarely go through a roll of TP quicker than two or three weeks. I have about 20 rolls in a utility room just from regular shopping.

Most of it has to down with all the messages people get from all over telling them to prepare to shelter in place for 14-30 days.  To that end paper towels and Kleenex is also flying off the shelves.   Most people I will say are noticeably excessive with their toilet paper usage when a square or two of the extra ply stuff probably would get them out of most sticky situations they find themselves in on the toilet. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2020, 05:42:43 PM
Most people I will say are noticeably excessive with their toilet paper usage when a square or two of the extra ply stuff probably would get them out of most sticky situations they find themselves in on the toilet.

Yeah, no shit. I don't know why people waste the stuff to begin with.

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 13, 2020, 05:42:09 PM
Quick tangent on bidets...Some conservative toilet paper use later to dry off, and you've got a clean bum (and wash your hands of course!).

Which reminds me...you still gotta dry off after a bidet. Guess there isn't much winning.

1995hoo

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 13, 2020, 05:42:09 PM

Quick tangent on bidets: finally figured out the proper term for them (used to call them "fancy toilet seats"), after remembering using one at Au Pied du Cochon, a restaurant in Montreal. Probably the best bathroom break in my life, since the bidet had heated seats and a gentle spray option. Really want to buy one of those bidets when I have the cash, rather than installing an entire basin.

Of course, there's the Filipino bidet...a small cup of (preferably hot) water (500 mL measuring cup is what we use) and your fingers coated with soap. Some conservative toilet paper use later to dry off, and you've got a clean bum (and wash your hands of course!).

Since so many people will be telecommuting, you can just wait to shower until after you leave a load. Then you won't need TP, but your soap budget might increase.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2020, 05:49:52 PM
Since so many people will be telecommuting, you can just wait to shower until after you leave a load. Then you won't need TP, but your soap budget might increase.

Two birds with one stone ... someone is thinking appropriately for a pandemic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.