News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 20, 2021, 07:31:23 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 18, 2021, 10:47:07 PM
recursive acronyms:

php='php hypertext preprocessor'
kde='kde desktop environment'
i heard but am not 100% on gnu='gnu's not unix'

repetitive acronyms:

'atm machine'
'pin number'

that'd be like calling the thing you play football with a 'football ball'.
Oh the good ol' department of redundancy department.
On sports TV:  The XYZ halftime show, brought to you by XYZ.

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 11:10:33 PM
recursive acronyms:

These are a thing because the open-source programmers back in the 90s when these projects were getting started thought recursive acronyms were pretty funny. Open-source programmers have a kind of unique culture that has a strange sense of humor.

Anyway, I don't think KDE was ever a recursive acronym. The "K" was originally for "Kool" (because CDE was already taken by the Common Desktop Environment), but later they just dropped it and it was the "K Desktop Environment", until they dropped that and now it's just the "KDE Software Collection" or "KDE SC". Whatever it's called, it's better than GNOME.

Another one coming out of that community (where I lurked on the fringes, at Snodfart's computer science department):

MUNG = Mung Until No Good
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 20, 2021, 07:19:52 AM
This. That road is KS 9 (and US 77) for me, not K-9, which I consider nonstandard notation despite being official.

Well, you're just wrong, then. It is K-9 in both official designation and by what people call it. It would be as if I said your country was Storkslapper for me, not Spain or España, which I consider nonstandard notation despite being official.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 20, 2021, 01:23:53 PM
He has a point. Not sure why those states, despite being one of many that share a common first letter, were able to capitalize on the single-letter abbreviation.

I mean, not really. Using the postal code for state routes is something a few states do, but for most of them roadgeeks made it up wholesale. Nowhere in State of Oklahoma parlance are our roads ever referred to as "OK-xx" or "Oklahoma xx"; they are uniformly "SH-xx" or "State Highway xx" (one of the rare times ODOT is consistent about something!). In Missouri, the state highways are not "MO-xx", but officially "Route xx", which is never to be abbreviated to "Rt." officially. "SH" and "Route" can be ambiguous, though (there are lots of states that use "SH", including Texas next door, and "Route" could refer to any numbered highway) so we as roadgeeks distinguish between them with postal codes because we talk about routes in a lot of different states.

Kansas and Michigan just made their routes K- and M- and just got lucky that Kentucky, Missouri, Minnesota, etc. didn't decide to do the same thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on March 20, 2021, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 20, 2021, 09:37:35 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 20, 2021, 07:19:52 AM
...which I consider nonstandard notation despite being official.

Wut.

I think he's saying that standard notation (or suffix) would be two letters for a state route/highway. Kansas would be 'KS', not 'K'. Likewise, Michigan would be 'MI', not 'M'. But it seems the single-letter suffix is the official notation.

He has a point. Not sure why those states, despite being one of many that share a common first letter, were able to capitalize on the single-letter abbreviation.

I guess those states just used it in their official documentation; however, Pennsylvania could just start using P-611, Florida could extoll the virtues of a single character dropped by switching to F-794, and Delaware can use D-141 at any time, but they haven't. 

At this point, it would just add to confusion and take three decades to change an unseen speck of dust. I, and many other road geeks/enthusiasts/fans/foamers use the state abbreviation for denoting ribbons of routes outside their home state because there's only so many SHs and SRs to go around without complicating discussion.

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on March 20, 2021, 03:57:48 PM
Pennsylvania could just start using P-611

Or they could decide to call it US 611, the same way that Colorado has one and only one route beginning with "E-".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

texaskdog

#1 for me...people sighing.  Does sighing prompt anyone to change their behavior?  I once sat next to a burned out employee and counted his sighs all day.  hundreds.

texaskdog

recursive acronyms:

repetitive acronyms:

'atm machine'
'pin number'

Like New York Football Giants.  The baseball Giants left New York 64 years ago.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on March 20, 2021, 05:36:39 PM
recursive acronyms:

repetitive acronyms:

'atm machine'
'pin number'

That's just people/ESPN Broadcasters having fun with the team name.  At least it's not official, like Washington Football Team.

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 20, 2021, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 20, 2021, 05:36:39 PM
recursive acronyms:

repetitive acronyms:

'atm machine'
'pin number'

That's just people/ESPN Broadcasters having fun with the team name.  At least it's not official, like Washington Football Team.

That's kind of funny.  It shows A) if you hate our name we just wont have one  B) they sound like any soccer team that goes nameless

Bruce

"National" chains that aren't actually national.

Last time I checked, the Pacific Northwest is a pretty major part of this nation.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on March 20, 2021, 02:33:52 PM

Another one coming out of that community (where I lurked on the fringes, at Snodfart's computer science department):

MUNG = Mung Until No Good
[/quote]

PINE = Pine Is Not Elm. (Did anyone here ever read m.t.r with Pine or Elm?)

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 20, 2021, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 20, 2021, 09:03:29 AM
recursive acronyms:

repetitive acronyms:

'atm machine'
'pin number'

I remember listening to a radio morning show as a kid, the hosts hated the stat in baseball being said "RBIs", because to them that meant you were saying "runs batted ins". So they would always say it "RsBI." I suppose it make sense...

I've always just said "RBI": "Howie Kendrick's grand slam gave him 4 RBI for the inning." It's correct regardless of whether it's singular or plural because the first word is "R" either way.

The plural of the title of the top elected lawyer in a state (or appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate at the federal level) is attorneys general, not attorney generals. I'm still unsure about the plural of the title of the top elected county official in Kentucky. It's county judge-executive (it used to be county judge until the system of county courts was abolished, and then the position was known as county judge-executive). I don't know whether to call them county judges-executive or county judge-executives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 08:59:09 PM
PINE = Pine Is Not Elm. (Did anyone here ever read m.t.r with Pine or Elm?)

i used to.  nice, quick and dirty without all that tedious mucking about with a gui.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

texaskdog

Quote from: Bruce on March 20, 2021, 06:59:59 PM

World Champions for sports that only play in one country

Big John

Quote from: texaskdog on March 21, 2021, 01:30:42 PM

Miss Universe that only consists of contestants of one planet.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 08:59:09 PMPINE = Pine Is Not Elm. (Did anyone here ever read m.t.r with Pine or Elm?)

I think I tried Pine once with Usenet newsgroups, though I used it almost exclusively for email.  When I transitioned to reading newsgroups through an email client briefly before I quit Usenet altogether, I used Thunderbird.  I didn't feel I was getting enough out of MTR in its later days to justify the learning curve of transitioning to a Unix-based client that would have offered content filtration.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kenarmy

Speaking of, it bothers me when there is a "1-XXX- XXX- "insert random word" . like just give me  the whole number i dont have time to pay attention to those little letters 🙄. It's designed to help you remember but it doesn't help.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Big John

^^ Or when a company tells you to call 1-800-8letters.  It always has 7 digits after the "1-800", so what are you supposed to do with the 8th or more digits?

Scott5114

For a while there, the phone I had didn't include the "traditional" dialing letters, because it had a QWERTY physical keyboard and the numbers were simply part of that keyboard. So if someone wanted to include an "S" or something like that in their phone number I would have had no way to translate it to the number it was supposed to be. Guess how many of that kind of phone number I called after I got that phone?

tolbs17

What's funny is that Alps laughs of what I say sometimes.  :D

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2021, 11:14:57 PM

And that bothers you?

texaskdog

Quote from: Big John on March 21, 2021, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 21, 2021, 01:30:42 PM

Miss Universe that only consists of contestants of one planet.

Genius!

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2021, 11:24:38 PM

And that bothers you?
Naw, not really. I don't want to be rude

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2021, 11:47:28 PM

And that bothers you?
Naw, not really.

Why did you post it in "minor things that bother you" then?

kenarmy

Speaking of.. i'm banned from the chat and i'm not exactly sure why  :colorful:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2021, 11:54:22 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2021, 11:47:28 PM

And that bothers you?
Naw, not really.

Why did you post it in "minor things that bother you" then?
Cause I wanted to joke.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.