News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Bruce

The San Jose Earthquakes' new stadium may have a sponsor: Avaya, a company specializing in business communications.

Buck87

Quicken Loans Arena, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers, is being renamed "Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse"

what's next...

Progressive Field to become Name Your Price Tool Park?
Ford Field to become F-150 Stadium?
Little Caesars Arena to become the Crazy Bread Center?

Bruce

Yay for thread revival. I'm going to add some soccer examples because the sport has some wildly diverse naming schemes.

In Japan and Korea, the first professional teams were descended from company teams in same vein of the early NFL. Korea has mostly kept their company names, e.g. the First Division currently has Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors, Sangju Sangmu (aka the military team), Suwon Samsung Bluewings, and Ulsan Hyundai.

Japan decided to instead rebrand most of their clubs (a good write-up here), taking inspiration from a ton of places and mixing Japanese puns into them. One of their most successful teams is Kashima Antlers, so named because Kashima is literally "deer island" in Japanese; they were formerly "Sumitomo Metal Industries Factory Football Club". Gamba Osaka has an Italian word that acts as a Japanese pun, Jubilo Iwata has the Portuguese word for "joy", Sanfrecce Hiroshima is a portmanteau of the Italian "frecce" (arrows) and Japanese "san" (three)...the list goes on.

tdindy88

Quote from: Buck87 on April 11, 2019, 10:36:42 PM
Quicken Loans Arena, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers, is being renamed "Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse"

what's next...

As a Hoosier I just wanted to chime in. Cleveland that is NOT a fieldhouse.

Fieldhouses have seating configurations that are usually square or octagonal shaped, look at Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas or Bankers Life Fieldhouse with the Pacers. We can call it a fieldhouse because we originally designed it to look like a fieldhouse. You're arena has been an arena since it was Gund Arena and it is properly an arena. You shouldn't get to change what you are just because you get a new corporate name.

You're an arena. Be an arena.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on April 11, 2019, 10:36:42 PM

what's next...

Just after we were allowed to stop calling the Shottenstein Center, 'Value City Arena.'
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

gonealookin

Amarillo TX got a Class AA baseball team this season, relocated from San Antonio.  If that's your stopping point for the night on a long drive on I-40, you'll want to check out an Amarillo Sod Poodles game if the team is home.

Takumi

Quote from: gonealookin on April 13, 2019, 01:02:20 AM
Amarillo TX got a Class AA baseball team this season, relocated from San Antonio.  If that's your stopping point for the night on a long drive on I-40, you'll want to check out an Amarillo Sod Poodles game if the team is home.
Maybe they can play the Hartford Yard Goats in some sort of AA interleague match.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Takumi on April 13, 2019, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on April 13, 2019, 01:02:20 AM
Maybe they can play the Hartford Yard Goats in some sort of AA interleague match.

Only if they rename their ballpark Starbucks Stadium or Krispy Kreme Field, seeing the Yard Goats play in Dunkin Donuts Park (not sure if they'll eventually rename it Dunkin Park to reflect the corporate name change).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Verlanka

With the Golden State Warriors moving back to San Francisco next year, does anyone know if they could keep "Golden State" or just go back to "San Francisco" like they were in the 1960s?

SP Cook

Minor league baseball rant:

Until not that long ago (mid-80s) minor league baseball teams either copied major league teams or had real organic names that had a legitimate history in that city (i.e. Asheville Tourists, Knoxville Smokies, Jackson Generals).  Then came the suburban Raleigh team the "Carolina Mudcats".  And it was cute and faux-hickish and faux-Southern.  And suddenly minor league baseball became infected with stupid and meaningless knicknames so they can sell a few shirts on the internet.  Chukars, Vibes, Crosscutters, Lake Monsters, Hops, Dust Devils, Hot Rods, RIver Dogs, Wood Ducks, Woodpeckers, Stone Crabs, Fire Frogs, Rumble Ponies, Yard Goats, Rubber Ducks, Flying Squirrels, Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Blue Wahoos, Sod Poodles, Rock Hounds, Iron Pigs, Rail Riders, Stripers, Baby Cakes, Isotopes, Chihauhuas, and all time stupidest, the Montgomery Biscuits. 

Anthony_JK

Quote from: SP Cook on April 16, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
Minor league baseball rant:

Until not that long ago (mid-80s) minor league baseball teams either copied major league teams or had real organic names that had a legitimate history in that city (i.e. Asheville Tourists, Knoxville Smokies, Jackson Generals).  Then came the suburban Raleigh team the "Carolina Mudcats".  And it was cute and faux-hickish and faux-Southern.  And suddenly minor league baseball became infected with stupid and meaningless knicknames so they can sell a few shirts on the internet.  Chukars, Vibes, Crosscutters, Lake Monsters, Hops, Dust Devils, Hot Rods, RIver Dogs, Wood Ducks, Woodpeckers, Stone Crabs, Fire Frogs, Rumble Ponies, Yard Goats, Rubber Ducks, Flying Squirrels, Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Blue Wahoos, Sod Poodles, Rock Hounds, Iron Pigs, Rail Riders, Stripers, Baby Cakes, Isotopes, Chihauhuas, and all time stupidest, the Montgomery Biscuits. 

Ummmm....the Baby Cakes name makes perfect sense in NOLA because of Mardi Gras. Also, makes for an noxiously entertaining mascot.

Big John

The Albuquerque Isotopes took their name from the Simpsons.

Bruce

Quote from: Big John on April 16, 2019, 03:08:36 PM

And it makes sense because of Los Alamos.

1995hoo

I'm surprised he didn't mention the Piedmont Boll Weevils (who no longer use that name) or the defunct minor-league hockey team in Georgia, the Macon Whoopee.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

The New York Giants baseball team moved in the 50s so always hate having to hear NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS so stupid

jp the roadgeek

A couple games a year, the Yard Goats become the Hartford Steamed Cheeseburgers.  Their caps look like a hamburger. 

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

english si

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 17, 2019, 01:03:44 AMA couple games a year, the Yard Goats become the Hartford Steamed Cheeseburgers.  Their caps look like a hamburger.
Is there Aurora Borealis localised in the stadium?

english si

So the new Spurs stadium has caused controversy with its naming. They rebuilt White Hart Lane Stadium, and renamed it Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (after attempts to get a company to pay to name it fell through). More controversially, they plan on naming the nearby "White Hart Lane" station "Tottenham Hotspur".

Thing is that the stadium isn't on White Hart Lane - ditching that makes sense - not least as there's two (much smaller) stadiums actually on the road.

As for the station "the area is more than the football club" keeps coming up - but the area is much more than one road too, and the road more than that area. Half the road is better accessed from Wood Green station. The road is really not a major one, other than having some length. The station is in Tottenham, but there's several stations in the town - Tottenham Hotspur is perhaps not the best name, but it really isn't terrible - and better than the existing one that dates from when the lane was the only distinguishing feature of an otherwise rather empty area!

US 89

Quote from: Bruce on April 16, 2019, 08:32:09 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 16, 2019, 03:08:36 PM

And it makes sense because of Los Alamos.

It makes more sense because of Sandia National Laboratory, which is actually in Albuquerque.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 16, 2019, 11:24:17 AM
Ummmm....the Baby Cakes name makes perfect sense in NOLA because of Mardi Gras. Also, makes for an noxiously entertaining mascot.

Yet pretty much everyone around New Orleans hates the name "Baby Cakes," and the team is moving to Wichita after 2019.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Takumi

Quote from: english si on April 17, 2019, 07:45:44 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 17, 2019, 01:03:44 AMA couple games a year, the Yard Goats become the Hartford Steamed Cheeseburgers.  Their caps look like a hamburger.
At this time of year?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on April 17, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
At this time of year?
At this time of day?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: texaskdog on April 17, 2019, 12:16:04 AM
The New York Giants baseball team moved in the 50s so always hate having to hear NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS so stupid

I've only heard one person call them that and he's a fucking moron who never should have gotten a TV gig.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: formulanone on April 17, 2019, 11:26:00 AM
Quote from: Takumi on April 17, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
At this time of year?
At this time of day?
Can I see?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.