News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: cjk374 on May 13, 2019, 07:37:00 PM
Quote from: jbnv on May 13, 2019, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 11, 2019, 11:42:01 PM
Pelicans is a dumb name with a dumb mascot

By what authority do you say this? Especially since you don't live in Louisiana.

There have been several local folks here in my part of the boot (sports talk shows & their callers...all Pelicans fans) that have said how they all thought the game mascot was scary a.f.
Pelicans are rather scary - they are, of course, dinosaurs. Plus I saw one eat a London pigeon (filthy sky rats) whole just for making a move towards the pelican's fish!

OK, they aren't Emu's that can beat the Australian army in a war, nor are they the traditional raptors, but they are far more hardcore than, say, cardinals, blue jays, or orioles, as birds go.

ET21

Quote from: Henry on May 14, 2019, 09:32:43 AM
Quote from: jbnv on May 13, 2019, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 11, 2019, 11:42:01 PM
Pelicans is a dumb name with a dumb mascot

By what authority do you say this? Especially since you don't live in Louisiana.
I disagree with that assessment as well. While the New Orleans team could've come up with a better nickname, Pelicans makes a lot of sense because LA is the Pelican State.

Pelicans sounded fine to me when they moved the Hornets back to Charlotte. I did love the Hornet logo for NO on their court.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Verlanka

Quote from: amroad17 on May 16, 2019, 05:40:00 AM
Can't say there weren't a few odd ABA names either...
       - Pittsburgh Pipers
       - Memphis Tams (Tams named for the states around Memphis--Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi--a Charlie O. Finley creation)
       - my second hometown, Virginia Squires (hardly a name that strikes "fear", which they did not the last two years in the ABA going 15-69 and 15-68)
       - Spirits of St. Louis (obvious why, however, I believe it is one of my favorite team names of all time--and what a team of oddball characters! Read about them in the book "Loose Balls", a history of the ABA.)

I would add the Anaheim Amigos as well.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Verlanka on May 16, 2019, 09:52:51 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on May 16, 2019, 05:40:00 AM
Can't say there weren't a few odd ABA names either...
       - Pittsburgh Pipers
       - Memphis Tams (Tams named for the states around Memphis--Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi--a Charlie O. Finley creation)
       - my second hometown, Virginia Squires (hardly a name that strikes "fear", which they did not the last two years in the ABA going 15-69 and 15-68)
       - Spirits of St. Louis (obvious why, however, I believe it is one of my favorite team names of all time--and what a team of oddball characters! Read about them in the book "Loose Balls", a history of the ABA.)

I would add the Anaheim Amigos as well.

Or the Flint Tropics?
:bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Unfortunately, Miller Park is being changed to American Family Park next season, which is really dumb. "Miller Park" sounds nice and original, and it compliments the spirit of the city in its beer industry. There are already lots of generic business named stadiums.

oscar

Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2019, 07:43:30 PM
Unfortunately, Miller Park is being changed to American Family Park next season, which is really dumb. "Miller Park" sounds nice and original, and it compliments the spirit of the city in its beer industry. There are already lots of generic business named stadiums.

Isn't it going to be "American Family Insurance Park", since that insurance company just acquired the naming rights? A bit less generic.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

thspfc

Quote from: oscar on May 31, 2019, 07:52:04 PM

Isn't it going to be "American Family Insurance Park", since that insurance company just acquired the naming rights? A bit less generic.
Way more generic than Miller Park, though.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2019, 08:53:28 PM

How is it generic?  It's the name of the company!  https://www.amfam.com/

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2019, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2019, 08:53:28 PM

How is it generic?  It's the name of the company!  https://www.amfam.com/
Yeah but think about all of the corporate-named stadiums in baseball. I know Miller Park is a corporate name, but beer brewing is a big part of the city - and, heck, the team is called the Brewers so it's perfect.

triplemultiplex

I'll still be saying "Miller Park" long after this new sponsorship expires and it's yet some other clumsy-sounding bullshit.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 01, 2019, 10:04:32 AM
I'll still be saying "Miller Park" long after this new sponsorship expires and it's yet some other clumsy-sounding bullshit.
Me too. Everybody will be.

Bruce

Related: sometimes when sponsors for stadiums don't match up with the sponsors for tournaments, they get new generic names.

Today's UEFA Champions League final is being played in Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano, but Wanda Group (a Chinese conglomerate) is not a UEFA sponsor, so it is known as the Estadio Metropolitano on the broadcast.

It would be nice if they were always referred to in this way.

1995hoo

Quote from: thspfc on June 01, 2019, 02:30:43 PM

Not AARoads forum member CNGL-Leudimin, who seems to have some sort of hangup about sponsored venue names.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2019, 04:19:52 PM

Not AARoads forum member CNGL-Leudimin, who seems to have some sort of hangup about sponsored venue names.

It's a common attitude for a lot of European fans, whose teams play in venues that have been named for geographic reasons or for legendary people for decades.

But for newly-built venues in the U.S., it's kind of ridiculous to force a generic name.

thspfc

Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Park. There we go.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Bruce on June 01, 2019, 05:18:28 PM

It's a common attitude for a lot of European fans, whose teams play in venues that have been named for geographic reasons or for legendary people for decades.

But for newly-built venues in the U.S., it's kind of ridiculous to force a generic name.

Actually this habit of mine started with team naming. Unlike in the USA, in Europe teams can have a sponsored name (though most association football teams don't go that way), and I started referring them by their "true" name, the one under they are incorporated. Eventually I expanded this corporate sponsorship denial to all sorts of venues. However the Cubs Park remains as Wrigley Field, as it's not exactly a corporate sponsorship but rather named after someone who also happens to be the namesake of a corporation.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ixnay

Quote from: thspfc on June 01, 2019, 06:13:11 PM

Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Park. There we go.

How about the Paint Can in downtown Pittsburgh?  That said, unlike CNGL, I don't have that big a hangup about sponsored venue names, just about going on, say, Google Maps and finding out a new name change when I'm just getting used to the previous name.

Stadium naming rights might make a good topic for an alt-rock or C&W (traditional or modern) song.

ixnay

gonealookin

Quote from: SP Cook on April 16, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
Minor league baseball rant:

Until not that long ago (mid-80s) minor league baseball teams either copied major league teams or had real organic names that had a legitimate history in that city (i.e. Asheville Tourists, Knoxville Smokies, Jackson Generals).  Then came the suburban Raleigh team the "Carolina Mudcats".  And it was cute and faux-hickish and faux-Southern.  And suddenly minor league baseball became infected with stupid and meaningless knicknames so they can sell a few shirts on the internet.  Chukars, Vibes, Crosscutters, Lake Monsters, Hops, Dust Devils, Hot Rods, RIver Dogs, Wood Ducks, Woodpeckers, Stone Crabs, Fire Frogs, Rumble Ponies, Yard Goats, Rubber Ducks, Flying Squirrels, Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Blue Wahoos, Sod Poodles, Rock Hounds, Iron Pigs, Rail Riders, Stripers, Baby Cakes, Isotopes, Chihauhuas, and all time stupidest, the Montgomery Biscuits. 

Speaking of selling shirts (and caps) on the Internet...meet the Kane County Atomic Pork Chops (for three home games this season).

QuoteThe players and coaches will wear specialty hats and jerseys for the games. In addition, fans will be able to purchase Atomic Pork Chops logo t-shirts and hats from the Cougar Den Team Store, located at Northwestern Medicine Field. A limited supply of Atomic Pork Chops merchandise will be available online in the coming weeks.

ixnay

Quote from: SP Cook on April 16, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
Minor league baseball rant:

Until not that long ago (mid-80s) minor league baseball teams either copied major league teams or had real organic names that had a legitimate history in that city (i.e. Asheville Tourists, Knoxville Smokies, Jackson Generals).  Then came the suburban Raleigh team the "Carolina Mudcats".  And it was cute and faux-hickish and faux-Southern.  And suddenly minor league baseball became infected with stupid and meaningless knicknames so they can sell a few shirts on the internet.  Chukars, Vibes, Crosscutters, Lake Monsters, Hops, Dust Devils, Hot Rods, RIver Dogs, Wood Ducks, Woodpeckers, Stone Crabs, Fire Frogs, Rumble Ponies, Yard Goats, Rubber Ducks, Flying Squirrels, Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Blue Wahoos, Sod Poodles, Rock Hounds, Iron Pigs, Rail Riders, Stripers, Baby Cakes, Isotopes, Chihauhuas, and all time stupidest, the Montgomery Biscuits.

*Lehigh Valley* Iron Pigs fits because of Bethlehem Steel (pig iron).  *Scranton/Wilkes-Barre* Rail Riders fits because of the Wyoming Valley's history as a rail hub.

ixnay

amroad17

I just visited the Savannah area (seeing my in-laws and taking in the sights of Savannah and Tybee Island) and heard on TV that there is a local team playing in the Coastal Plains League (a collegiate wood bat league) named the Savannah Bananas.  As ridiculous as the name sounds, this team is setting attendance records in the league and even won a championship in 2016.

Here are some more odd names for minor league teams (not just baseball)...
     - Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides
     - Maine Guides (former Phillies AAA team from 1984-88, moved to Scranton-Wilkes Barre in 1989)
     - Charleston Charlies (International League team from 1971-83--although they were named after a man named Charlie Levine, the owner's father).  This team moved to Maine in 1984.
     - Lancaster Red Roses (CBA team in the 1970's).  After playing in Philadelphia for one year (1980-81), they moved back to Lancaster and became the Lancaster Lightning.
     - Ohio Mixers (CBA team based in Lima, OH in 1982-83)
     - West Virginia Power (Low A, South Atlantic League)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jbnv

Quote from: amroad17 on June 23, 2019, 03:23:22 AM
     - Charleston Charlies (International League team from 1971-83--although they were named after a man named Charlie Levine, the owner's father).

It would make sense even if it weren't named for an actual person. (I remember during a visit to Charleston seeing a billboard that said "Welcome to Chucktown.")
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

frankenroad

Back in 1970, when Cincinnati built a new stadium for the Reds and Bengals, there was a naming contest.   My dad proposed the name Regal stadium, which is a combination of Reds & Bengals, as well as a nod to Cincinnati's nickname of the Queen City.

I thought my dad was clever, but apparently not enough other people did, as the stadium was named Riverfront instead.   That came in part, because in the media, the stadium was being referred to as the riverfront stadium (small R) just because of its location.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jeffandnicole

I always felt Lincoln Financial Field was slightly odd for the Philadelphia Eagles football stadium because Lincoln Financial isn't an everyday business many people utilize.  Most people couldn't tell you who they are or what they do.  Or even where they are located.  I don't know if I've ever seen any advertising that wasn't part of something Eagles-related.  But, at least they are still in business, and haven't been subject to the name changes the arena next door (now the Wells Fargo Center) has gone thru.

The Phillies, across the street, are in Citizens Bank Park.  While the name has stayed consistent as well, the bank underwent a logo change a number of years back, and it might as well have been a name change in the cost sense.  Everything inside and outside the stadium that had the sign and logo, down to the 43,000 individual cup holders with the Citizens Bank logo, were all replaced.

kevinb1994

Quote from: frankenroad on June 24, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
Back in 1970, when Cincinnati built a new stadium for the Reds and Bengals, there was a naming contest.   My dad proposed the name Regal stadium, which is a combination of Reds & Bengals, as well as a nod to Cincinnati's nickname of the Queen City.

I thought my dad was clever, but apparently not enough other people did, as the stadium was named Riverfront instead.   That came in part, because in the media, the stadium was being referred to as the riverfront stadium (small R) just because of its location.
Chances are that (at least) some of the other people may have ended up confusing your dad's proposed name with Regal Cinemas.

golden eagle

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 13, 2019, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: jon daly on May 13, 2019, 12:08:22 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 17, 2019, 03:34:51 PM
There should really be a team called the Denver Omelettes. It doesn't matter which sport.

Macon, GA once had a minor league hockey team. Someone suggested that they be called the Macon Eggs, but they became the Macon Whoopies instead. Pre-Baby Boomer senior citizens may get that reference. It sounds like a really dated euphemism.

What's worse is their current minor league baseball team, the Macon Bacon. C'mon, man!

The Macon Bacon and the Montgomery Biscuits of the Southern League oughta form a new league called the Breakfast League!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.