Regional Boards > Northwest

Washington

<< < (269/283) > >>

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2023, 03:24:34 AM ---Never heard about this when it happened. The 11th Street Viaduct in Tacoma was demolished last summer. It contained the last visible remnants of Tacoma's original streetcar network. The rails were filled in with concrete but remained visible until it was demolished:

In terms of non-rehabilitated bridges in Tacoma, it was either the second or third oldest, behind the remaining portions of the Eells Street Bridge and potentially tied with the Lincoln Avenue Bridge. The lift-portion of the crossing, over the Puyallup River, was replaced in the 1970s with a fixed-span structure, with the roadway surface and western approach replaced during this time frame. This left the viaduct as the only untouched portion of the crossing, and thus the only remaining stretch with the visible streetcar tracks.

Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/Y2XvchQXSoxvEt337

I have photos of my own somewhere, but it'll be a while before I track them down. In the mean time, here is a street view image:

11th Street Viaduct by Jacob Root, on Flickr

The viaduct was quickly demolished early last summer (2022) under an emergency order due to falling debris from the underside of the viaduct, primarily bits of concrete. It had been closed to cars for almost ten years due to the poor structural state of the viaduct.

Here is a news story on it:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=irT-2uIZqWw
--- End quote ---
Are they replacing it? Why are they tearing it down?

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: Amaury on October 24, 2023, 07:29:44 PM ---Does anyone know what WSDOT is doing here? https://maps.app.goo.gl/nJgHem9aU3DUTw6cA

This is on Interstate 82 westbound, just past milepost 33. Looking at Google Maps, the sign has been there since at least October 2018, but it's possible it's been there a little longer. There are no captures for 2014–2017, but it's not there in the August 2013 capture. I haven't seen any kind of changes, though, since the sign's installation.

I do know that farther up at Exit 31 westbound, currently the ramp to North 1st Street is closed, and you are only able to take the ramp to US Route 12 westbound, where it splits from the concurrency. I don't know if that has anything to do with what the sign is talking about, though.

--- End quote ---

Wasn't familiar with this project, but it appears to be (as the sign suggests) a new east-west corridor to connect Terrace Heights to Yakima proper:

https://cityofyakima-terraceheights.org/

According to permits, the timeline for construction has not yet been reached. So nothing is delayed or anything.

Here is a diagram from the above website. Phase 1 was the roundabout at Butterfield/Hartford in Terrace Heights. Potentially the roundabout at 10th/Lincoln was also an early phase.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 24, 2023, 07:48:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2023, 03:24:34 AM ---[clipped]

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I figured my post made it decently clear the answer to at least your second question: the viaduct was ancient, had been closed for ten years already, and was beginning to collapse. For obvious safety reasons, it had to come down. Because it was a viaduct over land, and not a bridge, there was activity occurring beneath it, so the integrity of the structure was essential to allow things beneath it to continue; once it became apparent the structure was collapsing, it had to go.

I don't really know if it will be replaced. It was closed for over ten years already, and a new bridge was built to the south at Lincoln Avenue to pass over numerous railways and connect to the existing Lincoln Avenue bridge over the Puyallup River. The 11th Street corridor has become substantially less important over the years, not least because of WA-509 switching to a freeway bypass in the 1990s, but also the demolition of the Blair Waterway Bridge in 1997, making the corridor discontinuous.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on October 24, 2023, 09:56:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 24, 2023, 07:48:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2023, 03:24:34 AM ---[clipped]

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I figured my post made it decently clear the answer to at least your second question: the viaduct was ancient, had been closed for ten years already, and was beginning to collapse. For obvious safety reasons, it had to come down. Because it was a viaduct over land, and not a bridge, there was activity occurring beneath it, so the integrity of the structure was essential to allow things beneath it to continue; once it became apparent the structure was collapsing, it had to go.

I don't really know if it will be replaced. It was closed for over ten years already, and a new bridge was built to the south at Lincoln Avenue to pass over numerous railways and connect to the existing Lincoln Avenue bridge over the Puyallup River. The 11th Street corridor has become substantially less important over the years, not least because of WA-509 switching to a freeway bypass in the 1990s, but also the demolition of the Blair Waterway Bridge in 1997, making the corridor discontinuous.

--- End quote ---
Sorry I should’ve worded my question better. I was more interested in a replacement and the reason why they let it get to the state it did. I need to look at it closer on Google but looks mostly in industrial setting. Low ADTs? Just curious.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 24, 2023, 10:04:22 PM ---Sorry I should’ve worded my question better. I was more interested in a replacement and the reason why they let it get to the state it did. I need to look at it closer on Google but looks mostly in industrial setting. Low ADTs? Just curious.

--- End quote ---

No worries. It is 100% an industrial area, the Port of Tacoma is the second largest port in WA (virtually tied for first with the Port of Seattle) and 11th Street runs right through the heart of the port.

The 11th Street Bridge over the Puyallup River (not the viaduct portion) was replaced in the 1960s or 1970s with a fixed span; it was previously a lift bridge like the Murray Morgan Bridge (over the Foss Waterway to the east). Because it carries some utility lines, it will not be demolished. This perhaps bodes well for the corridor overall; unlike the Blair Waterway, the Puyallup River is not an active waterway with shipping traffic, so there is no reason to remove 11th Street across it (hence why the lift portion of the bridge was replaced with a fixed span). Plus the bridge seems to be in "good" shape (not great), and doesn't sit above any critical infrastructure, so it can remain.

The question is indeed, yes, why the viaduct portion was left in the state it was. My guess is a few things. One, when the lift portion of the bridge was removed, the viaduct portion was still in adequate shape, so it was not modified (as it was not related to the project anyways). Two, when WA-509 was removed from the 11th Street corridor and the Blair Waterway bridge demolished, traffic levels seriously dropped off as it was only useful for traffic going to/from that part of the port; the reduced traffic levels logically reduced wear and tear, theoretically extending the life of the viaduct. And third, a lot of bridges were built around that time frame, and many are in poor shape, and there just isn't the money to replace them all at once. And it's not for a lack of trying; the Murray Morgan, Yakima Avenue, Eells Street (western span), Lincoln Avenue (over BNSF railway), Hylebos, East D Street, and Port of Tacoma Road bridges have all been either replaced or built in the last 20-ish years. I'm sure there are plans to replace the viaduct, but they just haven't gotten to it yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version