News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AARoads Page Updates

Started by Alex, January 19, 2009, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Added more Quad Cities material, including pages for each direction of Interstate 74 in both Iowa and Illinois. Also added a miscellaneous page with photos of U.S. 150's west end and Illinois 81.

Brandon

AA Roads, looking at your Illinois pages, and I see that you have I-74 listedas going "southeast to Galena and Peoria" on the US-6 page.  Galena should be Galesburg.  The I-74 West IL-IA Bridge photos appear at their thumbnail size when clicked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

I sometimes miss removing the "thb/" in the file names for the linked photo... Fixed and fixed, thanks.

Alex

Lyle

At the bottom of the Interstate 74 westbound page for Illinois (https://www.aaroads.com/midwest/i-074wf_il.html), you wrote, "Interstate 75 joined the span in 1975 when its sections of freeway connecting with the bridge opened." Did you mean Interstate 74?

- Lyle

mightyace

Not a road issue per se, but an inconsistency in the Illinois gateway page anyway. (https://www.aaroads.com/midwest/illinois.html)

The major league sports section reads as follows:
Major League Sports Franchises

* Chicago Bears (NFL)
    * Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
    * Chicago Bulls (NBA)
    * Chicago Cubs (MLB)
    * Chicago Fire (MLS)
    * Chicago White Sox (MLB)
    * Chicago Cardinals, relocated in 1959 to St. Louis and eventually Phoenix.
    * Chicago Zephyrs, relocated in 1963 to Baltimore and renamed the Bullets.
    * Tri-Cities Blackhawks, relocated to Milwaukee in 1951, later becoming the Atlanta Hawks in 1968.

With the Chicago Cardinals and the Tri-Cities Blackhawks both the city the team moved to and where they ultimately ended up are shown.

However for the Chicago Zephyrs, only their immediate move out of Illinois to Baltimore is noted.  The Bullets later moved to the D.C. area (playing in Landover, MD) and became the Washington Bullets.  The team is now the Washington Wizards and some people were upset that a sports team representing Washington, D.C. had Bullets in its name given that the city has one of the highest murder rates in the country.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

Corrected the error on the I-74 page Lyle mentioned and also augmented the Zephyrs line per Mightyace's request.

Created new pages for Interstate 88, covering east and west between the west end and Exit 6. I'll have more westbound coverage to add later.

Also added a few photos of IL-78 on the misc page.

FLRoads

Created a new page for Interstate 790 in Utica. The pictures are not that great as the weather was crappy that morning, but they are pictures none the less.

njroadhorse

Quote from: AARoads link=topic=70.msg41845#msg41845 date=1256627374

Created new pages for
url=https://www.aaroads.com/midwest/i-088_il.html]Interstate 88[/url], covering east and west between the west end and Exit 6. I'll have more westbound coverage to add later.

I got a 404 when I tried to get to the Eastbound page.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alex

Quote from: njroadhorse on October 27, 2009, 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: AARoads link=topic=70.msg41845#msg41845 date=1256627374

Created new pages for
url=https://www.aaroads.com/midwest/i-088_il.html]Interstate 88[/url], covering east and west between the west end and Exit 6. I'll have more westbound coverage to add later.

I got a 404 when I tried to get to the Eastbound page.

Oops, try it now.  :-o

Alex

Been working on a major overhaul of our Mobile County area coverage. Many of these pages were created in the early years of AARoads and have shown their age in both photo quality and dated information/captions. I get to Mobile quite often and probably have posted more coverage of the roads than anyone could ever want....

Anyway, the updates thus far:
Mobile City Guide - replaced a bunch of photos and added sections for Cottage Hill Road, University Boulevard, Spring Hill Avenue, Hillcrest Road.
Prichard focus page - Added section for Paper Mill Road and replaced or augmented just about all photos.
U.S. 43 - corrected out of date info on the south end and added/replaced photos heading north from Bay Bridge Road to I-65 and back.
U.S. 90 - redid most of the east and westbound guides for Mobile County. Finally added some photos of the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge eastbound...
U.S. 98 - split the page into four sections and added/replaced photos for both east and westbound Mobile Counties. (I have a major overhaul for Baldwin County down the road...)
Alabama 158 - finished up the coverage on this road.
Alabama 163 - added southbound coverage from end to end, sans a signal or two...
Alabama 188 - added a few photos in Grand Bay taken into the sun. Last time I took this road outside of Grand Bay was with Carter in 2003...
Alabama 213 - expanded coverage with images taken along Shelton Beach Road in Saraland.
Alabama 217 - filled in coverage along the route northbound to its end and southbound between Millertown and Schillinger Road.
Field Guide to Mobile County Highways - I decided to split the County Highways page a part and now Mobile gets its own page. I added photos to many more county roads then were covered originally. Baldwin County has its own page as well, but has not been updated yet...
Mobile County 31 / Schillinger Road - a horrible road, but worthy of its own page. We can refer to as County Road 31 since pentagons are posted in places.
Mobile County 39 / McDonald Road - split from the County Roads page to its guide. Its really only signed at U.S. 90 and Interstate 10...
Mobile County 56 / Airport Boulevard - another awful road, but the page got a much needed update.
Chickasaw area roads - even updated this page, which had some glaring errors (which the map still shows in a sense). Before the days of Streetview and Bird's Eye and readily available aerials in general, locating photos after the fact was a much more of a difficult task. For years I referred to Kansas Street as the preferred connector between West Lee Street and Sutherland Drive, when it has been Jackson Street all along. For what its worth, there were many other instances of errors like this throughout these pages...

I am working my way up in road class to the freeways. U.S. 45 will be updated next, followed by Interstate 10 perhaps...

Lyle

I notice you stopped citing the photographers on top of the pages.

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on December 16, 2009, 04:26:01 PM
I notice you stopped citing the photographers on top of the pages.

For the Mobile pages, pretty much all of the photos were taken by me or by me with Andy or Brent. There are so many different dates in which I have photos, so I opted not to go through the citations. I likely will add one catch all sentence at the top of the main pages citing all photos taken by me, Andy, Brent, Carter, Justin, since I've dragged all of them throughout the Mobile area at one time or another...

rickmastfan67

I can provide updated photos for your PA I-279, PA I-376, PA I-579 pages if you guys want them. ;)

Alex

Added all of the photos I took on 12/17/09 in the Mobile area. Also finished updating the US 45 page coverage in Mobile County.

Alex

I revised all of the Interstate 10 Alabama pages and replaced most photos with images shot between 2005 and 2009. Those pages were some of the first to be compiled and badly needed to be updated. The map needs replacing too, but I'm going to leave it up there for now as I have no time to put forth into making a new one. Gonna shift toward updating the Interstate 65 guides next.

DTP, I'll try to get to those Outer Banx photos soon too...

Truvelo

I hope you've saved the old pictures as they can be useful in the future.
Speed limits limit life

Alex

Quote from: Truvelo on January 09, 2010, 06:38:24 AM
I hope you've saved the old pictures as they can be useful in the future.

We keep every original photo we've taken on back-up cd's, dvd's and external hard drives. The only original photos for sure that I know I lost were some Baltimore pics from 10-10-04 when the cd they were on was scratched by a malfunctioning cd-rom drive. I also cannot find some photos we took in Baton Rouge in 2002, but there are some hard copies from that same trip I stumbled across just last night going through shoe boxes of pics.

Alex

Another long overdue update, getting close to finishing a major revamp of the Mobile area pages:

http://www.southeastroads.com/i-065na_al.html - completely redone with larger images (including some reedits of 2003 shots).
http://www.southeastroads.com/i-065si_al.html - also completely redone.

Went through a back-up disc of 2003 photos and replaced a lot of other photos covering U.S., state, and local roads.

Going to revamp Interstate 165 next and then move onto DTP's Outer Banx photos.

exit322

If I ever get time to go out there (and remember to do it), I'll have to send pictures from the new I-71/76 interchange in Lodi, OH.

mightyace

Quote from: exit322 on January 14, 2010, 10:01:23 AM
If I ever get time to go out there (and remember to do it), I'll have to send pictures from the new I-71/76 interchange in Lodi, OH.

Please do.  I would have gotten pictures but it was night when we went 71N - 76/224 E.  And, while it was daylight on the return trip (76/224W - 71S) my windshield was dirty from snow/ice/salt/etc. and I was having problems with my van and couldn't do so.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

Finally got around to adding DTP's photos from U.S. 158 on the Outer Banks northward onto the Chesapeake Expressway. Also took the opportunity to revamp some badly out of date pages related to Outer Banks Roads.

Alex

Finished adding all of our Mobile County and City highway coverage from our queue. The final updates include a needed revamp of the Interstate 165 page, and additions to U.S. 43 and Mobile County 96.

Many of the photos from the old 640, 720, and 800 width format were reuploaded as 1024x768 images. Also of interest on the U.S. 43 guides is the new trumpet interchange with ThyssenKrupp Drive north of Mt. Vernon. ThyssenKrupp is set to open a new carbon steel processing plant by spring of this year that will generate 2,700 jobs.

Alex

I just sent up the last updates for Virginia that included photos of I-85 in both directions. I started working on Virginia in late-January, and finished it just a week shy of the meteorological summer. Takes a long time to polish off a state, but another joins the few on AARoads that are done.

What to work on next? Going to train Andy and others on how to work the new format, and likely work on some Illinois and convert another state or two...

A roadtrip to Memphis is on tap for next week, and a two-week trip to the Mid-Atlantic next month.

Alex

I converted Interstate 99 into the new format with the additions of some northbound photos sent to us by Jesse Bender.

Am currently working on converting NC pages over and hope to finish up a few Western N.C. area updates over the next two weeks so that everything we have for NC is online.

After that, may work on Washington (per requests), start up Chicago area pages with Andy, or work on converting Indiana in preparation for a number of photos we took there last November and last month. Also intend of putting more Iowa/Illinois material up from the last few trips there too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.