Greetings from a native Californian living in DC area

Started by mrsman, July 28, 2013, 07:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Hello,

I am a long time lurker here, and used to be an occasional poster on m.t.r.  I recently posted to the topic on the Beverly Hills Freeway, since I grew up in a house that would've been knocked down for the freeway and I'm now introducing myself.

Born and raised in Los Angeles through college.  I've also lived in Northern California, New York City, and now live in Silver Spring, MD near the Capital Beltway surrounding  Washington, DC.  I've always been interested in maps, roads, train travel, and urban transit.

I am most familiar with the places I've lived, and also have a good passing knowledge of the West Coast and the Northeast corridor.  I'm an avid reader of most of the boards here and the transit related boards on railroad.net but only an occasional poster.  I hope to post more if time allows.

Alex

Welcome to the board! Was just through Silver Spring earlier this week. Have also lived on both coasts and share your interests in California roads and the Northeast highway network.

oscar

Welcome!  By California's lax standard for "native", I count myself as one too, even though my family didn't move there until i was eight years old, and I moved away to the D.C. area in 1981 at around age 25.  I still live in Arlington, but I have family in California and often visit there, usually on cross-country road trips.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Doctor Whom

Belated hello.  I was born in California, but I was a Navy brat, and we moved to the DC area when I was 3.  I grew up in Kensington and lived in downtown Silver Spring for a bit.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on July 28, 2013, 07:48:56 AM
I've also lived in Northern California, New York City, and now live in Silver Spring, MD near the Capital Beltway surrounding  Washington, DC.  I've always been interested in maps, roads, train travel, and urban transit.

I grew up in that part of Silver Spring known as Four Corners, and am old enough to remember the construction of the Circumferential Highway (planning name for the Capital Beltway), in particular the originally "orphaned" section of the Beltway between Md. 97 (Georgia Avenue) and Md. 193 (University Boulevard East), which opened as a four lane (!) freeway two to three years before the full Beltway was completed in 1964.  That original four lane section is one of the reasons that there is no left shoulder along most of the Beltway through Silver Spring.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kendancy66

Welcome to the group.  I have also lived in both California and DC area.  I was born in Alexandria, and lived there until I was 13.  In 1993, I moved back to DC area to Manassas, then Alexandria and Annandale until 2003, when I moved to CA.  I have lived in Laguna Hills CA for past ten years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.