News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Easiest+shortest shunpikes

Started by index, July 08, 2021, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

If you're coming from Detroit to Cleveland it is actually easier to get off at the OH-51 exit on I-280 than the OH-2 exit. Follow OH-51 down to OH-579 (there's a Speedway gas station on the corner) make a left and follow that back to OH-2. It's about a half mile shorter and will save you about 2 minutes.

TheStranger

My variation of "Sacramento to Stockton to San Jose" I used to do, since I lived closer to Sacramento State University and at one point worked in Rancho Cordova

99, 4, 5, 205, 580, 84, 680

Always did the 84 cutoff as it flowed decently well southbound, or I was going that route at night.

Interestingly from Menlo Park area heading back to Sacramento, this is about the same distance-wise as say 84-880-80-50.

-

Not sure if really "shunpike" but whenever I head to the Napa area, I like taking 101-37-121 from SF instead of 80-37-29 which forces one to pay the Carquinez toll.  Usually something I choose to do to avoid the traffic backups at the MacArthur Maze.  The distance difference is about 10 miles total, which isn't that much for a long-distance trip.
Chris Sampang

skluth

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 11, 2021, 02:52:35 AM
VA-168 Chesapeake Expressway in Chesapeake, VA

Coming southbound, get off at Exit 8B, turn right on VA-168 Business, and rejoin VA-168 about 6 miles south. VA-168 Business is a rural 2 lane road with a 45-55 mph speed limit, and only 4 traffic signals, 2 of which are concentrated on the northern end, and 2 in the middle. Only adds about 2-4 minutes as opposed to the (only) 55 mph toll road which is $4 off peak, and as high as $9 during peak weekends.

I used to occasionally pay the old $3 toll, but the recent $4 hike has given me less motivation to take it anymore. I would never take it on a peak weekend.

I only paid this once in the four years I lived in Tidewater. I regularly used Battlefield Blvd on my way to the Outer Banks. I recommend this shunpike, especially on busy weekends when the cash booth lanes back up and Battlefield Blvd is faster unless you are paying electronically.

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 11, 2021, 06:45:01 PM
My variation of "Sacramento to Stockton to San Jose" I used to do, since I lived closer to Sacramento State University and at one point worked in Rancho Cordova

Always did the 84 cutoff as it flowed decently well southbound, or I was going that route at night.

Interestingly from Menlo Park area heading back to Sacramento, this is about the same distance-wise as say 84-880-80-50.

-

Not sure if really "shunpike" but whenever I head to the Napa area, I like taking 101-37-121 from SF instead of 80-37-29 which forces one to pay the Carquinez toll.  Usually something I choose to do to avoid the traffic backups at the MacArthur Maze.  The distance difference is about 10 miles total, which isn't that much for a long-distance trip.

If one lives in the east part of metro Sacramento, the 4 (or even 120) to 99 option makes sense unless there's construction on 99 like there has been in Elk Grove over the past few months.  As far as the CA 84 "cutoff" goes, you point your car and take your chances -- except for right now; they're doing a massive expansion/rebuild of that highway (likely to accommodate the numbers of those who choose to use that cutoff).  Should be completed by summer or early fall 2022 according to projections, but it'll be a bit dicey, with occasional full closures, until then. 

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on July 11, 2021, 07:52:11 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 11, 2021, 06:45:01 PM

-

If one lives in the east part of metro Sacramento, the 4 (or even 120) to 99 option makes sense unless there's construction on 99 like there has been in Elk Grove over the past few months.  As far as the CA 84 "cutoff" goes, you point your car and take your chances -- except for right now; they're doing a massive expansion/rebuild of that highway (likely to accommodate the numbers of those who choose to use that cutoff).  Should be completed by summer or early fall 2022 according to projections, but it'll be a bit dicey, with occasional full closures, until then. 

With the 84 cutoff I feel like at night, I never ran into excessive amounts of traffic, and during the day I started using it around the time the direct link from Isabel Avenue to 580 had opened - which made it much better than the old setup of going one exit further down and backtracking!

---

Another California thought:

While the entire concept of Route 73 was to allow drivers to bypass the El Toro Y from 405 south to 5 south...I feel like traffic flow at most hours there is still okay enough staying on 405 in either direction rather than getting onto the tollway.

Not sure if that applies quite as much for the 5-55-91 vs. 5-133-241-91 trajectory.

Chris Sampang

Bruce

In good traffic, most of the non-ferry toll facilities in Washington can be avoided:

SR 520: I-90 works and takes about 15 more minutes with no traffic
I-405 and SR 167: Just use the non-HOT lanes (though I-405 does have the HOT lanes open to all traffic on weekends)
SR 99 Tunnel: Just take city streets, either Alaskan Way to Broad to Thomas to 7th; or 4th to Battery to 7th.
SR 16 (EB only): The only land detour requires traversing JBLM, so just pay the toll.

SeriesE

Quote from: TheStranger on July 11, 2021, 08:20:57 PM
Not sure if that applies quite as much for the 5-55-91 vs. 5-133-241-91 trajectory.

Since there's no direct connection from 241 to 91 express lanes, for people that's willing to pay tolls the dilemma on which route to take depends on which part of the drive they hate more, the 5-55 section or the 91?

DandyDan

In Bellevue, Nebraska, when the US 34 bridge was built, it made for a shorter and less time-consuming route to I-29 south than the old Bellevue toll bridge.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.