News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2015, 04:11:07 PM

First, the Richmond area. I found it interesting to note the proposed route of I-295 that looped back to I-95 much further to the north than what was built. It's also interesting to note it only shows three of the four toll plazas on the Richmond—Petersburg Turnpike (the one in Richmond is missing, though it appears on an inset), and I think it's funny to see Kings Dominion listed as "Lion Country Safari—Kings Dominion." The Lion Country monorail ride was part of the amusement park on the same admission, but it opened a year earlier (Kings Dominion opened in May 1975), so maybe someone at VDOT thought it was a separate thing.

Second, Northern Virginia. The item I find most interesting here is the I-595 shield in Arlington, seeing as how that number was never actually posted. It's also interesting to note the Dulles Access Road Extension is not shown as a proposed route (it opened in 1985 and meets I-66 right where the "Prop. 66" shield is seen here). I see Seminary Road is not shown as Route 420. The number is not posted anywhere even today, so I suppose not showing it on the map makes sense. I have not looked at the current map to see whether it appears on there.

VA 420 does appear on the current NoVA inset, but the VA highways Project states that it was not created until 1984 hence why it is not on the inset.

Also I remember Scott Kozel's site mentioning about I-295 and VA 288 originally being proposed as a true beltway before the routing for I-295 was changed.  That change must not have happened yet.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 12, 2015, 05:06:21 PM
VA 420 does appear on the current NoVA inset, but the VA highways Project states that it was not created until 1984 hence why it is not on the inset.

Also I remember Scott Kozel's site mentioning about I-295 and VA 288 originally being proposed as a true beltway before the routing for I-295 was changed.  That change must not have happened yet.

Ah, thanks. That would certainly explain it as to the Route 420 marker!

I knew I-295 had been planned to follow a different route, I just found it interesting to see it actually indicated on a map.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

The use of I-295 on today's VA 288 was requested by Virginia in 1968 but was denied (why didn't Virginia use VA 295 as opposed to VA 288?).  The City of Richmond petitioned the CTB to cancel the Richmond Beltway as a concept in April 1977.

I-295 was changed from its proposed connection to I-95 at VA 150 to where it runs now in 1978 and the 1980 Official was the first to show it...

Mapmikey

abc2VE

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 12, 2015, 08:56:19 PM
The use of I-295 on today's VA 288 was requested by Virginia in 1968 but was denied (why didn't Virginia use VA 295 as opposed to VA 288?).  The City of Richmond petitioned the CTB to cancel the Richmond Beltway as a concept in April 1977.

I-295 was changed from its proposed connection to I-95 at VA 150 to where it runs now in 1978 and the 1980 Official was the first to show it...

Mapmikey

Let me see If I understand this. I-295 was planned to connect where VA 895 currently exists? Didn't it also shift down to where 288 meets 95 before being shifted a third time to prince george? I don't understand the portion of 288 at 95 It is about as old as the southern end of 295 yet the interchange isn't set up as if it were to complete the beltway, was that a later revision as well?

1995hoo

The location shown on that 1975 map is a little further south than where Route 895 is today. 895 meets I-95 roughly where the toll plaza just south of the Richmond city limits can be seen on the map–the location where that toll plaza was is inside the 95/895/150 interchange.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Left out a step...

I-295's end was originally planned to meet current VA 150/895 interchange, then in 1965 was moved  to the VA 288 interchange as shown in the 1975 official.  No official map shows the original ending because they didn't put dotted lines on a map until 1968.

But it definitely was planned that way.
See this: http://scholarship.richmond.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1339&context=masters-theses

Mapmikey

froggie

Slightly off-topic, but residents of Columbia, VA have voted to disband the town, pending approval by the General Assembly.

http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/03/residents-vote-to-disband-tiny-virginia-town/

Columbia is on VA 6 in the southeast corner of Fluvanna County, where the Rivanna River meets the James River.  Both SR 690 to the south and SR 659 to the north were once part of VA 27 #2 (existed 1940-1953).

Mapmikey

VDOT celebrates 90 years of the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry...

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/hampton_roads/2015/vdot_marks_90_years80836.asp

It includes a 3 minute video that does show old pictures/footage of older ferries, but no mention of authorized and abandoned bridge attempts in the 1930s or anything about the Jamestown ferry landing moving. 

Mapmikey

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on October 26, 2014, 11:26:02 AM

One is at US 460/Southgate Dr near Virginia Tech.  This will get rid of the last traffic signal on the Blacksburg Bypass and complete a freeway segment running from the north end of the bypass to I-81.

VDOT awarded the contract for this DDI on US 460 at VA 314 this week (~$39M).  Construction starts this spring with a scheduled open date of Dec 2018.

VDOT also awarded a contract to widen VA 337 ALT Turnpike Rd from US 17 Frederick Blvd to Constitutional Ave (1 block beyond the permanently closed Harbor Dr that 337 ALT used to follow to reach US 58/VA 141) as a 4-lane plus center turn lane road.  Completion is May 2018.  This in itself does not answer the question where VA 337 ALT now runs with Harbor Dr gone.

VDOT also awarded a contract to redo parts of the I-81/US 220/VA 220 ALT interchange (Exit 150).  Ramp relocations and roundabouts.  Completion June 2018.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2015/ctb_awards_16_contracts80876.asp

Mapmikey

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 19, 2015, 12:43:37 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 26, 2014, 11:26:02 AM

One is at US 460/Southgate Dr near Virginia Tech.  This will get rid of the last traffic signal on the Blacksburg Bypass and complete a freeway segment running from the north end of the bypass to I-81.

VDOT awarded the contract for this DDI on US 460 at VA 314 this week (~$39M).  Construction starts this spring with a scheduled open date of Dec 2018.

VDOT also awarded a contract to widen VA 337 ALT Turnpike Rd from US 17 Frederick Blvd to Constitutional Ave (1 block beyond the permanently closed Harbor Dr that 337 ALT used to follow to reach US 58/VA 141) as a 4-lane plus center turn lane road.  Completion is May 2018.  This in itself does not answer the question where VA 337 ALT now runs with Harbor Dr gone.

VDOT also awarded a contract to redo parts of the I-81/US 220/VA 220 ALT interchange (Exit 150).  Ramp relocations and roundabouts.  Completion June 2018.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2015/ctb_awards_16_contracts80876.asp

Mapmikey

I would also highlight the US 360 widening northeast of I-295 to 6 lanes out to Wynbrook Drive (with 6 out to a presumably relocated Bell Creek Road).  I've only been on that portion a couple times, but I am sure it is just as much of a nightmare as the part of US 360 southwest of VA 288 (having been 6-8 lanes for awhile for the most part) out to Woodlake Village Pkwy.

Also I kept hearing about funding issues for the US 460 DDI at VA 314.  I am glad that is taken care of so that US 460 can be a full freeway out to US 460 Business north of Blacksburg (which might be another interchange in the future).

The I-81/US 220/VA 220 ALT interchange was always a trainwreck when going to/from Blacksburg it seemed (except when I drove at night).  I wonder if they will advertise VA 220 ALT to use Exit 150B (which I used to make going through there less of a headache) due to Gateway Crossing connecting to existing VA 220 ALT when this project is over. 

On another note, the CTB has also approved a location for the I-64/High Rise Bridge Study.  Alternative 2 (two new lanes in each direction with a new bridge and an eventual replacement for the old bridge) was chosen for now with the plans to manage it on the table for now  (info in a PDF on the CTB website here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Not really sure where to put this, but one of the Miami BGS's on southbound I-95 in Petersburg was replaced today, in a slightly larger signage update to bring more attention to the second exit lane. The replacement overhead has destinations for Rocky Mount (I-95) and Durham (I-85/US 460) with arrow-per-lane graphics instead of Miami and Atlanta. Advance signage was also updated to say "Use Exit 51" instead of "right lane".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Thing 342

Quote from: Takumi on March 25, 2015, 08:38:05 PM
Not really sure where to put this, but one of the Miami BGS's on southbound I-95 in Petersburg was replaced today, in a slightly larger signage update to bring more attention to the second exit lane. The replacement overhead has destinations for Rocky Mount (I-95) and Durham (I-85/US 460) with arrow-per-lane graphics instead of Miami and Atlanta. Advance signage was also updated to say "Use Exit 51" instead of "right lane".
How recent is it? I think I remember seeing the APL the last time I went through there (Dec 2014)

74/171FAN

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 26, 2015, 08:22:19 AM
How recent is it? I think I remember seeing the APL the last time I went through there (Dec 2014)

They have had new signs over there sitting over by the old RTP building at least a couple times recently.  I think I had posted about that a few months ago wondering if those Miami signs were gone due to that.

Alex

Would love to see/host pics of the replacements. Those Miami signs were always a neat concept.

Takumi

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 26, 2015, 08:22:19 AM
They just changed it over the past few days. I go by the 95-85 split on the way to work every day. The old signs were removed on Monday, with an empty gantry and a VMS indicating Exit 51 on Tuesday, then the new sign up yesterday. I'm off today, so I'm going to go take pictures of them.

Edit: Diagrammatic was what I meant. I don't think the replacement project is finished yet, so I don't know whether the other Miami signs will be changed. One is just before exit 52 (basically an advance version of the old sign) and the other is at exit 50. One of the Atlanta destinations for I-85 was recently carbon-copied with a Clearview sign, so at least Atlanta will be signed in Virginia for years to come.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Fairfax receives $8 million for traffic relief on Route 1 and two other roads

QuoteAfter aggressive lobbying, Fairfax County received an additional $8 million in regional transportation funds for congestion relief along Route 1 and two other corridors.

QuoteThe money for a project to widen a three-mile stretch of Route 1 near Fort Belvoir and for improvements to Rolling Road and Frontier Drive comes from about $351 million in regional funds available through the 2013 state transportation law that seeks to alleviate congestion throughout Virginia.

QuoteThe three projects had been left off a list of projects recommended for funding by the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority. But after pressure from Fairfax County that included a packed public hearing this month on the Route 1 road-widening project, the regional authority voted last week to use money it had not previously earmarked.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zzonkmiles

I apologize for not consulting this thread first because I posted a separate topic with the exact same observation. Anyway, I do have a picture of the new sign on my smartphone. If I click the "image" button, IMG tags pop up. I thought I would get see a box asking me which photo I want to upload. Anyway, I'd like to post it here, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

froggie

Something the WaPo article doesn't make clear (but my former state Delegate did) is that the Route 1 money is to begin studies on the 4 lane gap section between the two VA 235 intersections.

cpzilliacus

[The northbound side of the G.W. Parkway at the Memorial Bridge is on Columbia Island and thus in D.C.  The southbound Parkway under Memorial Drive is in Arlington County, Va. at about the same location on the network. "New" Google Maps here.]

WTOP Radio: Truck wedged under Memorial Bridge now free

QuoteWASHINGTON — A tractor truck was wedged below the Memorial Bridge along the George Washington Memorial Parkway for several hours Tuesday afternoon.

QuoteThe entire length of the Coca-Cola truck became jammed under the low-clearance bridge about noon Tuesday blocking a southbound lane.

QuoteThe truck, which was damaged, was dislodged and all lanes clear by 3:30 p.m.

QuotePark engineers inspected the bridge and determined it sustained no damage, according to the U.S. Park Police.

QuoteHeight restrictions on the bridge are 12-foot-1 and 12-foot-4. Commercial vehicles are not allowed to travel along the parkway without a permit.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zzonkmiles

Is it just me or are parking spaces in Virginia (at least Nova) a bit smaller than elsewhere? Coming from South Carolina, I've had to fit into a lot more tight squeezes, especially at Metro parking lots.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Ground breaks on Va. 28 improvements in Northern Virginia

QuoteMillions of dollars are being spent to make the daily commute more tolerable in Northern Virginia. Ground has been broken on new improvements on Va. 28.

Quote"Route 28, as you know, is one of the most congested corridors in Northern Virginia,"  says Gary Garczynski, Northern Virginia district representative of the Commonwealth Transportation Board.

Quote"Traffic jams and congestion are sort of what drive people's stress in Northern Virginia, adds Martin Nohe, Prince William County supervisor and the chairman of the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on May 05, 2015, 09:05:20 PM
Is it just me or are parking spaces in Virginia (at least Nova) a bit smaller than elsewhere? Coming from South Carolina, I've had to fit into a lot more tight squeezes, especially at Metro parking lots.

I drive a pretty large pickup truck, and have not had a problem parking it at an assortment of places in Northern Virginia.

As for regulatory requirements for parking spaces, I think that is up to county or municipal governments that do planning and zoning and issue construction permits.

I do believe there are some jurisdictions in the D.C. area where planners and elected officials have rationalized smaller parking spaces by making claims that everyone is driving a small car, which is clearly not always the case.

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 12, 2015, 02:20:18 PM

I drive a pretty large pickup truck, and have not had a problem parking it at an assortment of places in Northern Virginia.

As for regulatory requirements for parking spaces, I think that is up to county or municipal governments that do planning and zoning and issue construction permits.

I do believe there are some jurisdictions in the D.C. area where planners and elected officials have rationalized smaller parking spaces by making claims that everyone is driving a small car, which is clearly not always the case.

The average CAR is certainly smaller than it was a few years ago.  Think how long the Chevy Caprice used to be in the 60s and 70s compared with more recent models.  Plus, the imports have very popular small cars as well.

But the real thing is that so many more regular people (as opposed to people who need a truck for their jobs etc.) are driving SUVs and minivans, which are larger than even the old Chevys and Cadillacs were in length, width, and height.

Takumi

In my local newsletter I got in the mail yesterday, it's mentioned that VA 144's intersection with the access ramps to I-95 (located here) will be replaced with a roundabout. Construction is slated* to start in March and finish in late 2017.

*although going by how the reconfiguration of about 10 blocks of US 1/301 in the city is going, we'll be lucky to have this done by 2020.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 12, 2015, 02:20:18 PM

When my apartment complex converted from co-op to condo in the mid-1980s, it had to add parking spaces to meet current county requirements since it would no longer be grandfathered in under the old rules. That was done mainly with re-striping to make parallel-parking spaces shorter. As a result, full-size pickups won't fit in the spaces on the street in front of my apartment (the complex owns those street parking spaces), only in some back lots which kept their pickup-friendly spaces.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.