News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on May 16, 2015, 07:50:26 PM
In my local newsletter I got in the mail yesterday, it's mentioned that VA 144's intersection with the access ramps to I-95 (located here) will be replaced with a roundabout. Construction is slated* to start in March and finish in late 2017.

*although going by how the reconfiguration of about 10 blocks of US 1/301 in the city is going, we'll be lucky to have this done by 2020.

Is that a VDOT or Colonial Heights (municipal) project?

I thought VDOT usually did projects that involved interchanges with the Interstate system, even within the corporate limits of cities and towns.

Interesting that this is still a trumpet-type interchange (IIRC entering and exiting traffic had to pay), even though the tolls on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike have been gone for over 20 years.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

The interchange project is being done by VDOT. It's going to be slightly west of the current intersection, and the notes mention removal of the bridges over the old railroad.

You're right about the interchange being a trumpet and the toll booths present there. I was 6 when they were removed, but I remember going through them several times. There's still leftover signage from the RPT days in each direction on Temple, with covered "Toll" banners over the I-95 shields.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Recently a map was posted on this forum of the old routes of the DC area highways.  I also saw it on line someplace when researching the GW Parkway in Virginia that same map.  Also Google maps show that the connector road that leaves the Arlington Memorial Bridge Circle on Columbia Island is Arlington Blvd. 

Also the bridge that carries the ramp from the roads from Columbia Island to the VA mainland is super wide for only a two lane roadway.  That obviously that way because the bridge carried four laned US 50 across the Channel so it can enter the Columbia Island Circle from the North- Northwest.

The exit ramp to the SB GW Parkway from US 50 E Bound (the last VA exit EB on US 50) also tells the story as it starts out concrete and then turns asphalt at the curve.  Back when US 50 crossed on the Memorial Bridge the GW Parkway was not yet built north of the Memorial Bridge nor did its SB carriageway run along the westbank of the Boundary Channel either at the time, so today's ramp defaulted onto the original Arlington Blvd. Bridge across the Channel onto Columbia Island.

I find this find very interesting as much as the grade crossing on I-395 in Shirlington that was also previously posted.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: How Virginia paid more than $250 million for a road that never got built

QuoteVirginia officials are trying to get back tens of millions of dollars from a private company that was supposed to build a 55-mile toll road in southeastern Virginia.

QuoteState officials had been sending the company multimillion-dollar installments each month to build the road. But the state lacked federal construction permits, so the road wasn't built.

QuoteAnd now the commonwealth is out about $256 million.

QuoteThe problems help explain why top officials in Gov. Terry McAuliffe's administration have recently increased scrutiny of public-private partnership deals, a sharp shift in tone in a state that has for 20 years been a national leader in pushing such projects. The changing views could have a major impact on one of the most important transportation initiatives in the state: a vast project to add toll and carpool lanes along 25 miles of Interstate 66 west of the Capital Beltway in Northern Virginia.

QuoteTransportation Secretary Aubrey Layne said this month that the I-66 project should not be ceded to private investors for "ideological"  reasons, as might have happened in the past. Keeping the construction of toll and carpool lanes under state control could generate hundreds of millions of dollars for additional transportation projects, he said, and avoid a repeat of cases in which the state was left "holding the bag."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2015, 09:02:18 PM
Recently a map was posted on this forum of the old routes of the DC area highways.  I also saw it on line someplace when researching the GW Parkway in Virginia that same map.  Also Google maps show that the connector road that leaves the Arlington Memorial Bridge Circle on Columbia Island is Arlington Blvd.

According to what a National Park Service staff person told me, it is Memorial Drive, S.W. in D.C. (but I do not think you can find a sign that says that). The NPS map of the George Washington Memorial Parkway says Memorial Avenue, as does the map of the cemetery.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2015, 09:02:18 PMAlso the bridge that carries the ramp from the roads from Columbia Island to the VA mainland is super wide for only a two lane roadway.  That obviously that way because the bridge carried four laned US 50 across the Channel so it can enter the Columbia Island Circle from the North- Northwest.

If you mean this bridge, I think it is wide because it carried U.S. 50 both ways in the years before the T. Roosevelt Bridge was built.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2015, 09:02:18 PMThe exit ramp to the SB GW Parkway from US 50 E Bound (the last VA exit EB on US 50) also tells the story as it starts out concrete and then turns asphalt at the curve.  Back when US 50 crossed on the Memorial Bridge the GW Parkway was not yet built north of the Memorial Bridge nor did its SB carriageway run along the westbank of the Boundary Channel either at the time, so today's ramp defaulted onto the original Arlington Blvd. Bridge across the Channel onto Columbia Island.

I believe that is correct.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2015, 09:02:18 PM
I find this find very interesting as much as the grade crossing on I-395 in Shirlington that was also previously posted.

Since capacity on the Arlington Memorial Bridge just very recently got reduced by 1/3 each way (and no vehicles (including buses) over 20,000 pounds gross), we will soon find out how interesting.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 30, 2015, 10:04:58 PM
Washington Post: How Virginia paid more than $250 million for a road that never got built

To me, the issue isn't the fact that they used a PPP, but it's that so much moved forward without the required environmental permits.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2015, 01:05:52 AM
To me, the issue isn't the fact that they used a PPP, but it's that so much moved forward without the required environmental permits.

In theory, I am indifferent about PPTA (Virginia's state Public Private Transportation Act) projects, though I think Transurban (495 Express Lanes and 95 Express Lanes) has handled the issue of toll violators (some of which were not toll violators) well at all.  The Dulles Greenway [Va. 267 extension] (private, but not a PPTA project) has not distinguished itself well either when it comes to tolls (in particular, stonewalling on a conversion to distance-based tolling for drivers paying with E-ZPass).

I think some of the blame falls on the Commonwealth for not negotiating a better (including, apparently, toll violation procedures) deal for highway users, at least on those three projects (there are others that have been bashed in the local media, especially the Elizabeth River crossings in Hampton Roads for other reasons).

Putting all of that aside, I think Virginia's Secretary of Transportation at the time Sean Connaughton (who I have some familiarity with, as he was the chair of the board that I work for, and I respect him for his service), and his boss, then-Gov. Bob McDonnell, made some incredibly bad decisions to try and go ahead with the project without getting full sign-off from the the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the form of a Section 404 permit and a final environmental impact statement and record of decision.

In other words, I agree with you.

Thing 342

Self-driving cars to be tested on Virginia Highways - Richmond Times-Dispatch

QuoteSelf-driving cars soon will be cruising along more than 70 miles of Northern Virginia highways that include some of the country's most congested roads as part of an automated vehicle testing initiative.
The research will be overseen by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute on portions of Interstates 95, 495 and 66 as well as on U.S. 29 and U.S. 50 that are being dubbed Virginia Automated Corridors.

Link: http://www.richmond.com/news/article_b1168b67-3b2b-5274-8914-8a3304f2e417.html

hbelkins

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 02, 2015, 03:33:50 PM

QuoteSelf-driving cars soon will be cruising along more than 70 miles of Northern Virginia highways that include some of the country's most congested roads as part of an automated vehicle testing initiative.
The research will be overseen by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute on portions of Interstates 95, 495 and 66 as well as on U.S. 29 and U.S. 50 that are being dubbed Virginia Automated Corridors.

I wouldn't want to be on the road while one of those things is being tested. Shouldn't they test them out on the Smart Road first?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Thing 342

Quote from: hbelkins on June 02, 2015, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on June 02, 2015, 03:33:50 PM

I wouldn't want to be on the road while one of those things is being tested. Shouldn't they test them out on the Smart Road first?

They are:

QuoteTest tracks at the institute's Smart Road in Montgomery County and the Virginia International Raceway in Halifax County will be used to certify technology as safe before the cars are allowed on the highway.

Link to full article: http://www.richmond.com/news/article_b1168b67-3b2b-5274-8914-8a3304f2e417.html

Mergingtraffic

Last summer I remember there being old 61 spec I-95 shields on US-1 SB and NB between Dumfries and Spotsylvania, VA. Now I can't find them on GSV.  Anybody know where they are?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alex

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 03, 2015, 12:29:15 PM
Last summer I remember there being old 61 spec I-95 shields on US-1 SB and NB between Dumfries and Spotsylvania, VA. Now I can't find them on GSV.  Anybody know where they are?

There was one posted along southbound ahead of Garrisonville Road:

Still there as of October 2014 per GSV

US 1 & 17 south at I-95 in Fredericksburg, still there as of September 2013 per GSV:

Zzonkmiles

There are still several of these old shields for I-66 in the Arlington area streets.

1995hoo

We are in Charlottesville for my class reunion. Took US-29 to get here instead of our usual I-95 rote because the radio reported a big wreck near Dale City. As a result, I got to check out the new traffic pattern in Gainesville. Big improvement. The westbound exit from I-66 no longer goes around a hairpin turn after passing under the Interstate; instead, the westbound configuration is now somewhat similar to the exit from westbound Route 50 to Gallows Road just west of the Beltway. ("Similar," not identical.) Huge improvement over how it was as recently as last fall. The light at Linton Hall Road is gone; traffic headed there uses the new interchange, though there's a lot yet to be done before it's in its final configuration.

Of course, while this is a huge improvement in that it eliminates the railroad crossing and the annoying light at Linton Hall, there are still an ever-increasing number of traffic lights south of there that make it a bit of a slog until you're past the light at Vint Hill Road (Route 215). Those, coupled with the increasing traffic, made me wonder if it might be faster nowadays to go out I-66 to Great Meadow and then drop south on Route 17 to Warrenton. Might depend on the time of day and the construction activity at Haymarket, as it is a fair distance out of the way.

I'll try to post some pictures sometime within the next week or so after we get home and I download the dashcam videos.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

2014 Traffic Logs released on VDOT's website:  http://www.virginiadot.org/info/2014_traffic_data.asp

Perusing through it I did not discover anything new regarding routings...

Mike

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 06, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
2014 Traffic Logs released on VDOT's website:  http://www.virginiadot.org/info/2014_traffic_data.asp

Perusing through it I did not discover anything new regarding routings...

Mike

Apparently US 250 has been extended to 23rd Street in Richmond (an unnumbered route) for some reason...

EDIT: Never mind, it was that way last year.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 08, 2015, 04:50:47 PM

Apparently US 250 has been extended to 23rd Street in Richmond (an unnumbered route) for some reason...

EDIT: Never mind, it was that way last year.

This is a left-over vestige from when US 60 was still on Broad.  US 60 WB used 23rd north to Marshall west to 21st south.  Although US 60 EB used Broad from 21st eastward, for some reason VDOT called Broad between 21st and 23rd US 60-250 in the traffic logs up through 2004, then left US 250 on that segment in the log when US 60 was moved.  Official VDOT route logs from (at least) 1979-2001 put US 250's endpoint as 23rd.  The 2003 log moved it to US 360 (18th).

Mike

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: A road named for Confederate leader comes under fire 150 years after war

QuoteMore than 3,000 people have signed online petitions calling for a change in the name of Jefferson Davis Highway in Virginia, buoyed by growing national scrutiny of the Confederate flag and other symbols of the vanquished South.

QuoteThe name applies to the portion of U.S. 1 that runs from the Potomac River through Virginia to the North Carolina border, and to other highways elsewhere in the South. Those roads were named for the president of the Confederacy at the behest of advocates who wanted a Southern equivalent to the coast-to-coast Lincoln Highway, according to a history posted on the Web site of the Federal Highway Administration.

WTOP Radio: Alexandria to debate symbols of its Confederate past

QuoteThe effort to define the difference between honoring Confederate history and glorifying racism will take place in coming months in a town especially rich in Civil War history: Alexandria.

QuoteWhen city leaders come back from summer break in September they plan a review of policies regarding flying the Confederate flag that also will include a discussion of Confederate statues and street names.

QuoteTwice a year the Confederate "Stars and Bars"  flags, which differ from the controversial battle flag, are hung at the "Appomattox"  monument that depicts a Confederate soldier and remembers the 100 Alexandrians who died fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

1995hoo

On our way back from the golf course this afternoon I found a very serious screwup by VDOT with respect to programming the traffic light outside the new Wegmans in Fairfax County. After I got home and showered, I reported the light to VDOT via their website and then sent the following e-mail to our three local elected officials in the hope they can expedite a repair:

QuoteDear Supervisor McKay, Delegate Sickles, and Senator Puller:

I write to advise you of a report I just submitted to VDOT about a problem with a traffic light on Beulah Street outside the new Wegmans and to ask that if you have any clout with VDOT, you urge them to expedite a repair.

The problem is that the traffic light at Beulah and Old Beulah Streets, outside the Hilltop Village Center with the new Wegmans, is giving green turn arrows to both directions at the same time. Southbound traffic on Beulah turning left into Wegmans gets a green left-turn arrow at the same time as northbound traffic on Beulah turning right into Wegmans gets a green right-turn arrow. I discovered the situation this afternoon (Sunday, July 12) on my way home from Hilltop Golf Course. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos; my in-car video camera was in my other car and I couldn't use my phone because I needed to operate the manual transmission. I will note, however, that my wife, who normally rolls her eyes if I grumble about road signs or traffic lights, immediately noticed the conflicting arrows and was appalled. I can ask her to corroborate my report if needed.

I'm sure you can understand why this situation cannot be allowed to exist. A green arrow means you will not encounter opposing traffic: If you have a green left-turn arrow, it's supposed to mean all traffic coming the other way has a red light and is supposed to yield to you. If you have two turns feeding into the same road coming from opposite directions, you cannot give both of them green arrows at the same time because then there is almost certain to be a crash when drivers assume, as they are supposed to do, that the green arrow means they don't have to worry about oncoming traffic.

I submitted a shorter version of this information to VDOT via their website just before I e-mailed you. They assigned it Request #512291. I'm almost positive having conflicting green arrows violates federal traffic control regulations, but even if it doesn't, it's incredibly unsafe, and I hope it can be fixed as soon as possible, hopefully within a week, before someone gets hurt down there. There are a lot of people with little kids shopping at that Wegmans. I cringe at the thought of someone running into our neighbors' minivan with their three kids in the back!

Thanks in advance for considering the issue.

1995hoo

I got multiple responses and it seems the light is to be fixed this week.

davewiecking

For which countless people will thank you without knowing they're doing so...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2015, 05:13:49 PM
On our way back from the golf course this afternoon I found a very serious screwup by VDOT with respect to programming the traffic light outside the new Wegmans in Fairfax County. After I got home and showered, I reported the light to VDOT via their website and then sent the following e-mail to our three local elected officials in the hope they can expedite a repair:

I found a pretty bad signing mistake on Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) approaching U.S. 29 (Lee Highway) in Arlington and reported it via the VDOT Web site.

The offending signs in error (showing 29 as a state route running east and west) were gong within 48 hours, and a new assembly with the correct shields and signs was up in about a week.  IMO, that's pretty good.

1995hoo

That's interesting because there were also some state route 29 shields on eastbound I-66 at Gainesville for the past several years; I don't know if they're still there since I haven't been eastbound through there since April. I assume it was an error as part of the construction since they were marking a detour and that the signs were therefore to be temporary, but either way, it's interesting that this mistake happened in multiple places.

I find VDOT is often quick to address issues, but their response on potholes has slipped badly and lately their pothole repairs are half-arsed. I assume that's simply because of two consecutive bad winters resulting in way more potholes than in other recent years.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 14, 2015, 07:28:02 AM
That's interesting because there were also some state route 29 shields on eastbound I-66 at Gainesville for the past several years; I don't know if they're still there since I haven't been eastbound through there since April. I assume it was an error as part of the construction since they were marking a detour and that the signs were therefore to be temporary, but either way, it's interesting that this mistake happened in multiple places.

I find VDOT is often quick to address issues, but their response on potholes has slipped badly and lately their pothole repairs are half-arsed. I assume that's simply because of two consecutive bad winters resulting in way more potholes than in other recent years.

I also think that potholes on the VDOT primary network get attention much more rapidly than those on the secondary network.

Case in point: Fairfax County Parkway. When it was promoted from Va. 7100 to Va. 286, the condition of the pavement got dramatically better in a matter of months (and yes, it was awful the last several years in the secondary system).

1995hoo

I do think it's appropriate for primary routes to be the greater priority (recognizing a serious hazard would warrant an exception).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.