News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Thanks. I didn't even think of checking their images, but then we're watching HNIC anyway so my attention is more on that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 28, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

The 1990 Historic Aerial confirms the trumpet interchange and the road only going northward...

I must have had my scalehouse directions mixed-up.  The scalehouse on the westbound side, but eastbound trucks had to stop to be weighed.

Thinking back, it makes sense that Va. 286 north of I-66, because the owner of much of the land in the Fair Lakes are was owned and developed by Til Hazel who (again from memory) wrote a check to pay for the construction north to U.S. 50.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 28, 2015, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 28, 2015, 08:41:55 PM

The 1990 Historic Aerial confirms the trumpet interchange and the road only going northward...

I must have had my scalehouse directions mixed-up.  The scalehouse on the westbound side, but eastbound trucks had to stop to be weighed.

Thinking back, it makes sense that Va. 286 north of I-66, because the owner of much of the land in the Fair Lakes are was owned and developed by Til Hazel who (again from memory) wrote a check to pay for the construction north to U.S. 50.

Aerials show you were originally correct about the scale house - on the EB side (1974 shows it clearest, plus topos put a building only on the EB side).

Mike

Thing 342

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 28, 2015, 07:46:02 PM
Richmond.com: Pocahontas Parkway increasing tolls

QuoteTolls on the privately operated Pocahontas Parkway are increasing to $4 at the main plaza and to $2.25 at the Laburnum/New Market and Airport Drive ramps, a spokeswoman said Friday.

QuoteThe new tolls take effect Jan. 4.

QuoteTolls were last increased in January 2013 to a top price of $3.25 and $1.50, parkway spokeswoman Mary Ellin Arch said.

Quote“The revenue will fund operations, maintenance, and finance debt payments,” Arch said.
This road was already overpriced. Increasing the toll makes sense how?

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Thing 342 on November 29, 2015, 08:14:32 AM

QuoteTolls on the privately operated Pocahontas Parkway are increasing to $4 at the main plaza and to $2.25 at the Laburnum/New Market and Airport Drive ramps, a spokeswoman said Friday.

QuoteTolls were last increased in January 2013 to a top price of $3.25 and $1.50, parkway spokeswoman Mary Ellin Arch said.

Quote"The revenue will fund operations, maintenance, and finance debt payments,"  Arch said.

If people continue to use the toll road, then by definition it's not overpriced. Plus why wouldn't the operator try to maximize revenue?

noelbotevera

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 01, 2015, 02:55:01 PM

Quote"The revenue will fund operations, maintenance, and finance debt payments,"  Arch said.

If people continue to use the toll road, then by definition it's not overpriced. Plus why wouldn't the operator try to maximize revenue?
Common sense would to make tolls cheaper. Cheaper tolls means more people use it. More people use it, more money. It helps more than hurts more, but people don't get that simple concept.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 01, 2015, 03:05:04 PM

Common sense would to make tolls cheaper. Cheaper tolls means more people use it. More people use it, more money. It helps more than hurts more, but people don't get that simple concept.

It's not always that simple. Utility monopolists (in this case the toll road) will price as high as they can before people leave that said utility. It's the same principle as to why cable/telecom rates always rise, regardless of cost tot he utiltiy provider.

Pink Jazz

Just as a thing to wonder: Now that VDOT has upgraded most of the existing flip-dot DMS in the Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia districts with SES America's LED retrofit package using the existing flip-dot housings, some of the older Ledstar DMS in the Hampton Roads district show their age, in particular the ones on the HRBT which were installed around 1997 (among the first LED DMS installed in the Hampton Roads district).  According to SES America's website, they have retrofitted Ledstar products before.  This would be much cheaper than installing completely new DMS on the HRBT.

Thing 342

Anybody know why the US-58 bypass of Stuart has a speed limit of 45? It seems like it was designed for 55 at least.

davewiecking

Quote from: Thing 342 on December 16, 2015, 08:26:35 PM
Anybody know why the US-58 bypass of Stuart has a speed limit of 45? It seems like it was designed for 55 at least.
Higher speeding ticket revenue??

74/171FAN

Quote from: davewiecking on December 16, 2015, 11:46:40 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on December 16, 2015, 08:26:35 PM
Higher speeding ticket revenue??

If I remember right there was an odd-shaped hill just east of the west end of the bypass.  It may be a sight distance issue.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Zzonkmiles

What's the story with I-85 being resurfaced? It seems that half of the rough patches have been totally repaved while the other half is full of dangerous craters and cracks. Even worse, there are few signs indicating road construction. Did they run out of money? Surely they're not going to leave the road in its current condition, right? Right?

AlexandriaVA

Low volume probably means it doesn't get very high on the repaving priority list. Use US-1

74/171FAN

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on January 05, 2016, 11:02:44 PM
What's the story with I-85 being resurfaced? It seems that half of the rough patches have been totally repaved while the other half is full of dangerous craters and cracks. Even worse, there are few signs indicating road construction. Did they run out of money? Surely they're not going to leave the road in its current condition, right? Right?
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 06, 2016, 08:41:14 AM
Low volume probably means it doesn't get very high on the repaving priority list. Use US-1

The project is probably just on hold due to the winter.  It should continue later this year as one of the projects is scheduled to finish in July.

The following link is from the Street Beat article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch on August 15th when a question was answered about it.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/traffic/street-beat/article_ee7dca51-e803-533e-bb9a-d224f3977901.html
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Thing 342

Took a trip down to Chesapeake the other day to get a good look at the ongoing construction on US-17. Construction has really progressed since I was last down there around 2014. Here's some pictures:

Heading NB, right about where construction starts.

Not much work going on south of the Scenic Pkwy intersection except some slight grading work.

Taken just south of the Grassfield Pkwy light. Pavement work here seems mostly complete.

Continuing NB, we find bridge work going on at the future interchange with VA-165. This will eventually be entrance/exit ramps for the southbound lanes as part of a SPUI.

Just past VA-165, US-17 takes a sharp curve over to the future northbound lanes to cross the new Veterans Bridge (formerly known as the Steel Bridge). Most of the girders for the southbound span have been placed, however none of the road deck has been built.

Coming down the Veterans Bridge, we see what will eventually become ORT gantries.

Shortly after the gantry, we approach the interchange with VA-166. The future northbound side of this interchange is finished, with the current southbound lanes using the new bridge and the northbound lanes using the exit ramps. The BGS appear to have already been finished.

Continuing northbound on US-17, nearing the future interchange with VA-190. The southbound lanes look mostly finished, with BGS being posted.

US-17 uses the future exit lanes at what will eventually become an interchange at VA-190 / Great Bridge Blvd.

US-17 merges with VA-168 / I-464, and we get to see I-64 signage with directions. No mention of VA-168 headed northbound.

Sorry for the low quality of the imagery, as I didn't have my normal camera mount, making all of imagery blurry.

hbelkins

"West I-64 to Va Beach?"

I know in the greater scheme of things, that's accurate, but still...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 08, 2016, 06:43:08 PM
Took a trip down to Chesapeake the other day to get a good look at the ongoing construction on US-17. Construction has really progressed since I was last down there around 2014. Here's some pictures:

US-17 merges with VA-168 / I-464, and we get to see I-64 signage with directions. No mention of VA-168 headed northbound.

Sorry for the low quality of the imagery, as I didn't have my normal camera mount, making all of imagery blurry.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2016, 09:41:59 PM

"West I-64 to Va Beach?"

I know in the greater scheme of things, that's accurate, but still...

I was also going to post on this. Are they using cardinal direction banners on the stretch of I-64 between Bowers Hill and I-264 at Va Beach now?

Mapmikey

This would be the first use of directional banners past Indian River Rd...

Mike

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on January 08, 2016, 09:45:14 PM
I was also going to post on this. Are they using cardinal direction banners on the stretch of I-64 between Bowers Hill and I-264 at Va Beach now?

That is going to confuse out-of-town folks a lot!

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 08, 2016, 09:48:47 PM

A symptom of loss of institutional memory at VDOT's Hampton Roads District perhaps?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Thing 342

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 08, 2016, 10:41:51 PM
Quote from: Alex on January 08, 2016, 09:45:14 PM

That is going to confuse out-of-town folks a lot!

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 08, 2016, 09:48:47 PM

A symptom of loss of institutional memory at VDOT's Hampton Roads District perhaps?
The lack of any signage showing VA-168 heading northbound seems to tell me that it's just an error, but I haven't been looking at signing plans for this stretch. I don't think there were any mentions of the Hampton Roads Beltway, either.

Nexus 6P

akotchi

Existing signing on U.S. 17 did not have direction to Va. 168 NB, either.  Signing on Va. 168 NB itself does have signing for the continuation of the route along I-64 (outer).

I am also surprised to see cardinal directions for I-64.  I actually did an early review of the signing plans for this project, and (since my father lives in that area) was familiar with the signing convention.  I did not see the final signing plans that went to bid, but my review did not recommend the cardinal directions.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

froggie

QuoteA symptom of loss of institutional memory at VDOT's Hampton Roads District perhaps?

FYI (and for others who have commented on it), this is a City of Chesapeake project, not a VDOT project.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on January 10, 2016, 11:41:37 PM
QuoteA symptom of loss of institutional memory at VDOT's Hampton Roads District perhaps?

FYI (and for others who have commented on it), this is a City of Chesapeake project, not a VDOT project.

Weird.  I've always heard that VDOT has a much broader mandate in terms of road ownership or maintenance than other DOTs (say, NYSDOT).  I've heard it expressed that VDOT "owns most roads in VA," but I don't know if that's really true.  Anyway, given that perception, I would have thought construction on US 17 would have fallen under VDOT's purview.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

VDOT generally only owns interstates within Independent Cities within Virginia...

Mike

qguy

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 01, 2015, 03:20:27 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 01, 2015, 03:05:04 PM

It's not always that simple. Utility monopolists (in this case the toll road) will price as high as they can before people leave that said utility. It's the same principle as to why cable/telecom rates always rise, regardless of cost tot he utiltiy provider.

Apologies for the late reply.

Presumably the goal is maximum revenue, not maximum usage. So the owner would attempt to set the unit price in the "sweet spot," below which the result would be reduced revenue (because the decreased unit price overwhelms the increased usage) and above which the result would also be reduced revenue (because the decreased usage overwhelms the increased unit price).

If you graph this out, it produces a curve with the shape of an upside-down U. At the right price, either reducing or increasing the unit price results in decreased revenue. The trick is finding where the top of that curve is, and where on the curve the current unit price is, which isn't always easy.

This principle can also be applied to tax rates. If the goal is to increase tax revenue, simply increasing tax rates is often not the answer. Lowering tax rates often increases tax revenue. (When applied to taxation, the curve is sometimes referred to as a Laffer Curve.)

As with price point marketing, the trick is to determine where on the curve the current tax rate is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.