News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The road sign city name photo game

Started by Scott5114, December 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Laugaland, Iceland to Durham, ON (on Grey/Simcoe CR 124 at Grey Road 4 in Singhampton):

formulanone

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SD Mapman

Y Rule: Oil City, LA -> Belcher, LA -> Rock Springs, WY

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2022, 09:00:05 PM
Milo --> Oil City, LA

I don't see anything about this in the OP rules, but...  That sign has already been used, both for Oil City and for Belcher.

Can we reuse signs in this game?

Quote from: US71 on February 10, 2022, 01:55:34 PM
Asheboro --> Oil city, LA

Quote from: 7/8 on February 13, 2022, 10:45:46 AM
Oil City, LA to Belcher to Richelieu, QC (on A-10):
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

I'll keep the game going for now.

Rock Springs, WY to Sheho, SK (on TCH 16):

SD Mapman

Quote from: 7/8 on April 13, 2022, 10:58:01 PM
I'll keep the game going for now.

Rock Springs, WY to Sheho, SK (on TCH 16):

I mean it's back to "O" anyway, so in the long run it really doesn't matter. Depends only if we want to use those signs again!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

formulanone

7/8

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 14, 2022, 12:53:14 AM
I mean it's back to "O" anyway, so in the long run it really doesn't matter. Depends only if we want to use those signs again!

Lol, good point! :)

Orient, SD to Tartu, Estonia (taken in Tallinn near the ferry terminal) (sign previously used for Narva):

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SD Mapman

Urbana, IA -> Abilene, KS

Quote from: formulanone on April 14, 2022, 07:08:57 AM
Sheho -> Orient (SD):
As someone whose ancestral roots are in that part of the state, I'm sorry you had to go out there (especially in the winter!).

kphoger

ABILENE  →  EAST NORWALK (Connecticut)

[by AARoads and/or Carter Buchanan]
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SD Mapman

East Norwalk, CT -> Kennebec, SD

7/8

Nice play! Kennebec, SD to Cincinnati, OH (on I-275 at I-74 in Miamitown):

kphoger

CINCINNATI  →  IRKUTSK (Siberia)

[from... uhh... Restaurant Guru, of all places]

swapped photo to include Latin script
Male pronouns, please.

SD Mapman

I refuse to let this die on K

Irkutsk -> Kansas City, MO (lots of alternatives for the Y rule here)

kphoger

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 15, 2022, 01:41:25 PM

:)  I try to play ones with less-than-common ending letters, to give people the chance to play something they might have been sitting on.  So K must be a bad one?

I don't want to sift through a couple hundred pages of the thread to find the answer to this:  what letters have been the least-frequently in play?
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

Kansas City, MO to Des Moines, IA to St-Benoît-du-Lac, QC (my third time playing this town, but of course, each photo/sign is different):

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2022, 01:48:05 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on April 15, 2022, 01:41:25 PM

:)  I try to play ones with less-than-common ending letters, to give people the chance to play something they might have been sitting on.  So K must be a bad one?

I don't want to sift through a couple hundred pages of the thread to find the answer to this:  what letters have been the least-frequently in play?

Personally, I'd say some of the best letters to give someone are B, C, F, J, Q, and V.

kphoger

Cool.  Then let's thrown in a Q.

ST-BENOÃŽT-DU-LAC  →  CUCQ (Pas-de-Calais, France)

[from Wikimedia Commons user Floflo62]
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

In the future, let's stick with Latin script only, please. Cyrillic and Greek are usually easy enough to figure out, but I don't want this to turn into a thing where someone posts something in Urdu or Mongolian or something and doesn't provide a transliteration, or there's two different ways to transliterate it and people argue about it, or there's a letter that represents a phoneme we don't have in English so it's questionable which letter the game should continue from, etc.

Of course, if a sign includes a city name in both the local script and Latin (as Ukrainian signage and most Russian signage closer to Europe tends to do), you're welcome to use the transliteration the sign provides.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2022, 03:55:55 PM
I don't want this to turn into a thing where someone posts something in Urdu or Mongolian or something and doesn't provide a transliteration.

Well then clearly you need to find another Afghani or Mongolian city that starts with the same letter.   :-D

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2022, 03:55:55 PM
In the future, let's stick with Latin script only, please. Cyrillic and Greek are usually easy enough to figure out, but I don't want this to turn into a thing where someone posts something in Urdu or Mongolian or something and doesn't provide a transliteration, or there's two different ways to transliterate it and people argue about it, or there's a letter that represents a phoneme we don't have in English so it's questionable which letter the game should continue from, etc.

Of course, if a sign includes a city name in both the local script and Latin (as Ukrainian signage and most Russian signage closer to Europe tends to do), you're welcome to use the transliteration the sign provides.

Fixed.

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2022, 10:33:48 AM
CINCINNATI  →  IRKUTSK (Siberia)

[from... uhh... Restaurant Guru, of all places]

swapped photo to include Latin script
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Luckily a quiet quarter of Washington has quite a few Q names.

Cucq -> Quinault Village on the Moclips Highway

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SD Mapman

East Glacier, MT -> Rexburg, ID

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.