News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Airline/Airport

Started by jgb191, February 04, 2009, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite airline?

American Airlines
1 (4%)
Continental Airlines
1 (4%)
Delta Airlines
4 (16%)
Northwest Airlines
2 (8%)
Southwest Airlines
10 (40%)
US Airways/America West
0 (0%)
United Airlines
3 (12%)
others (specify by posting)
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 4

jgb191

Being from the Lone Star State, Continental and American Airlines are the two big ones here based in Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW) respectively.

Being from Corpus Christi, we have a choice of those two but you can only fly directly to one of those two airports to connect to anywhere else they serve. 

As a former Continental Airlines employee, I stay loyal to my former company and still love their service.  I also keep frequent flier miles with them.  Sometimes I'll go with American Airlines in certain situations.

We also have Southwest Airlines, but they have very limited service from there and you have to stop at either Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) or Dallas Love Field (DAL) to connect.

I have flown with all the above listed in the poll, plus the now defunct PAN-AM back in December 1988.  Can you believe you need the better part of a day just to fly across Texas?  A non-stop flight from either of Houston's airport to El Paso takes almost two-and-a-half hours.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

nam0806

I say United. A recent flight to Chicago makes me feel that. I think United is better than Delta anyways.

un1

Air Canada or West Jet, I can`t make up my mind.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

DrZoidberg

I like Alaska Airlines.  They have lots of flights from PDX (a great airport, IMHO) and their mileage plan linked to my credit card is pretty nice!  :-P
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

corco

I'm mostly partial to Alaska as I used to use them to fly from Seattle to various places all the time and have never had any problems with the. As far as the majors I've had mostly good luck with American but it sucks they don't fly into Boise and I have to go to Boise a lot.

Voyager

My favorite airport is SFO!

I was hoping someone would start this thread.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

SSOWorld

heh - Northwest.  Minneapolis has always been a good airport to connect at.  I flew through O'Hare last February and there was two-hour delays both ways  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: plus it gave me a bad impression of American Airlines.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jgb191

Quote from: Master son on February 04, 2009, 08:22:36 PM
I flew through O'Hare last February and there was two-hour delays both ways  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: plus it gave me a bad impression of American Airlines.

All airlines are like that with delays.  It just depends on factors like the weather, airport staffing, technical/mechanical matters, overcrowding, and security concerns.  It's not always poor operations/management....most of the time things go beyond the control of the airlines themselves.  February in Chicago, I imagine snow/ice might have played a part in delaying.  I've been through countless delays myself and just come to anticipate them as possible.

I think the two longest delays I've been though were 4 hours in Denver (caused by severe weather) on United Airlines bound for Los Angeles, and 3.5 hours in Dallas/Fort Worth on American Airlines caused by the holiday rush/overcrowding just three days before Christmas 2003, which was also Los Angeles-bound.

Ian

Hmm I didn't see Airtran. I have only been to a limited amount of airports in my life becuase I usually don't fly. Actually I only been to Orlando Airport, Philadelphia (go there a lot, live near it), San Francisco, and Boston (Logan Airport).

not too much

i.c.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

DrZoidberg

Going east, I've never had problems at Phoenix Sky Harbor, and find it pretty easy to navigate (compared to Atlanta, DFW, etc).  But I'd have to say my favorite airport, call it a personal bias for living here, to be Portland PDX.  There are nice shops, good places to eat, really easy to navigate, and the Port of Portland insists on fair pricing, meaning stores can't charge more than any of their other stores would normally charge (got a great pair of Nikes waiting for a friend to arrive once)

Orange County (or as my daughter calls it the Disneyland airport) isn't bad either.  Definitely my favorite place to fly to in Southern CA.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Scott5114

I've always liked Southwest.

When I was a kid I loved KCI (MCI) but I've heard that its design makes security considerations a major hassle now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawr apples

Northwest for sentimental reasons..I grew up near Detroit Metro Airport where I would see these take off and land every single day, they even shook my house I was so close at times.

I love Metro Airport, although I wish they will build a tram that would connect all the terminals together. Possibly expanding the tram in the Mcnamara terminal?
Now shut up and drivee

jgb191

Those of you Northwest flyers, what kind of changes have been administered since the merger with Delta Airlines?  And what changes might be ahead?

Marc

I like Southwest. They're generally cheaper and often have hubs at smaller airports in cities with multiple airports. But the best part for me is how laid back the flight crew is. The captain usually comes over the PA and cracks a few jokes.

As far as price for example, I could fly from IAH to MEM via Continental Express or Northwest for $600, or I could fly from HOU to JAN or HOU to LIT and drive a couple of hours to Memphis for $80 roundtrip. My 'rents do that quite often. I've 'flown' to Memphis without setting foot inside the Memphis airport quite a bit.

However, my favorite airline of choice would be my Hyundai Sonata :D

WillWeaverRVA

United sucks. In the past three years I've been on eight United flights, and there were scheduling issues with all but one of them, mainly due to nonexistent severe weather.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Wikigav

You know the only airlines you have mentioned that i actually like are the ones i havent flown. Continental, Northwest, US Airways and i think Delta. I have had nothing but terrible service after terrible service with the others.  Like long haul (13 hours) Sydney to LAX with United, the whole entertainment system canned it and the food made me sick.

I used to like my homebrand Qantas but now i cant quite tell when i fly them if i havent accidently got on to a Jetstar (their low-cost subsiduary) flight instead. All the norms, dirty cabin, bad service etc.

I have flown British Airways and they were pretty good, the same with Austrian and Lufthansa. But my best two flight ever was definetly Thai and Singaporean. They know how to run a proper airline.  :-D

Bryant5493

I don't fly much, but I'm going with the home team: Delat Delta Airlines.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Road Warrior

Not much of a flyer, but I voted for Delta.  I might be the only one, but I always looked forward to flying through Atlanta :colorful:

FLRoads

I voted for Southwest because they do not charge you for your first carry-on.

Alex

Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 13, 2009, 12:22:39 PM
I voted for Southwest because they do not charge you for your first carry-on.

Same here, while I am not a big fan of "sit where you want", because I usually get to pick after the majority are onboard, they don't charge for bags and the flight attendents tend to be friendly and fun.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.