News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Infrastructure Bill 2021

Started by ITB, August 02, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Never thought this day would come. Great to hear.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Great Lakes Roads

kernals12

$4 billion for highways in Massachusetts, maybe they can finally fix the damn 93/95 cloverleaf

Crown Victoria

Maybe, just maybe, with the money that PA will get from this bill, the long-awaited widening of I-81 will finally get underway.

Maybe...

kernals12

Hopefully Connecticut can rebuild 84 in Danbury and Hartford.

Rothman

You guys are underestimating outstanding maintenance needs to preserve conditions.

Even with getting 20-25% more in the Northeast, that will just allow the usual capital programs to progress with less financial puzzles to figure out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2021, 09:48:42 AM
You guys are underestimating outstanding maintenance needs to preserve conditions.

The number of structurally deficient bridges in the United States has fallen by 60% since 1992
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/deficient.cfm

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on November 06, 2021, 09:51:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2021, 09:48:42 AM

The number of structurally deficient bridges in the United States has fallen by 60% since 1992
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/deficient.cfm
...and it costs a lot of money to keep the numbers that low.  You think you rehab or replace a bridge and you're just done and don't look back?  DOTs are constantly working on bridges to keep their conditions up -- everyone has a list of bridges that are patched every year or otherwise routinely.  And then there's the pavement side of things, where band-aid treatments eventually require deeper solutions.  Reconstructions through urban or village settings have skyrocketed in cost due to having to address drainage, utility and ADA issues.  Estimates for such in upstate NY are now $16m a mile.  And don't forget culverts, which probably have increased in cost for than anything.  Replacing a large culvert just a few years ago would generally cost some hundreds of thousands when now they're costing a few million.

Roadgeeks on this forum that even bother to look at capital programs are only looking for the fun megaprojects while only skimming the routine or mundane usual ones that really make up an annual drain on DOT capital projects.

So, there may be a few more big projects out there funded with these funds, but more likely the funds will go towards projects already existing on their programs that they knew were underfunded as is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Speak for your own state, Oklahoma is getting a new interstate designation out of the bill. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Lets see if I95 in Dunn gets that dreaded double diamond interchange!
And also, with this bill, will I81 in NY and NC 540 in NC be rebuilt and completed, respectively? :hmmm:

sprjus4

Quote from: snowc on November 06, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
That would already be happening with the ongoing I-95 widening project.

snowc

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 06, 2021, 01:58:02 PM
That would already be happening with the ongoing I-95 widening project.
That's good to know.
See the I-95 Widening page for a new MAJOR bump on the thread. :pan:
They are clearing trees left and right!

Rothman

And also, with this bill, will I81 in NY and NC 540 in NC be rebuilt and completed, respectively? :hmmm:
The I-81 viaduct removal was a given.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2021, 04:00:39 PM
It is a given until Hochul decides to review all previous studies and orders a study for another review.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on November 06, 2021, 04:11:02 PM
It is a given until Hochul decides to review all previous studies and orders a study for another review.
At this point, that will not happen.  The community grid option is now proceeding.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2021, 04:56:58 PM
At this point, that will not happen.  The community grid option is now proceeding.
That's what they said about the LGA Airtrain as well.
I'll believe it once 481 work is substantially complete.

Bruce

This website has links to the state-by-state fact sheets released by the White House in August: https://www.cohnreznick.com/insights/state-by-state-infrastructure-funding-an-overview

According to The Seattle Times, Washington should expect $4.7B for highways and $605M for bridges, along with $380M for transit expansion. I imagine a good chunk of that highway appropriation will be for the Interstate Bridge Replacement down in Vancouver/Portland, but since it will be split with Oregon it shouldn't take up all of it.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on November 06, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
Heh.  Good point, but I'd consider it real when Phase 1 starts, not ends.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2021, 06:13:11 PM
@Rothman, when do you estimate that the I481 project be starting? My family is heading to NY in couple weeks around 🦃 Thanksgiving and I would like to know that.

kalvado

Quote from: snowc on November 06, 2021, 07:34:57 PM
@Rothman, when do you estimate that the I481 project be starting? My family is heading to NY in couple weeks around 🦃 Thanksgiving and I would like to know that.
Not in 2021.
I wouldn't worry too much about 2022 Thanksgiving as well.

vdeane

While I'm happy to see a much-needed federal investment in the country's infrastructure, I am not at all happy with the privatization incentives in the bill.  This bill is basically Trump's bill with a realistic amount of money behind it.  I suspect that is why Progressives consider voting for this bill in and of itself to be a compromise (that, and they'd rather tear down highways than invest in them).

Keep in mind that the LaGuardia Air Train was a controversial project with Progressives in opposition.  Same for Penn Station/"East Side Access".  I-81, on the other hand, is uniformly supported by the left, with only DestiNY USA, the hotels in Salina, NIMBYs in DeWitt who don't want the traffic, and members of this forum opposed; everyone else in indifferent to it.  And despite the results from Tuesday, Hochul's greatest threat to remaining governor isn't whoever wins the GOP primary - it's Latisha James, her most formidable primary challenger.  Working against the I-81 tear-down would place the NYC Progressives in lock-step opposition against her (Progressives hate urban freeways, remember?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

nwi_navigator_1181

A milestone day.

Now that Infrastructure is an official thing, I think Northwest Indiana will see work that they either have been sitting on, or that I can tell is sorely needed. A list, if you will.

What Will Happen

• The Willowcreek Road extension to US 30 - long discussed to be in the works, this will allow Portage residents to directly access US 30 from anywhere in Portage without having to rely on a network of underpowered county roads. They will have to fix the drainage issue between US 6 and Porter County Road 700 N.

• Widening of US 6 from Indiana 149 to Indiana 49 - studies are currently in place to discuss widening US 6 from two to four to five lanes. This will help greatly improve the flow of this often busy section of US 6.

What I think Will Happen
A much needed modernization of the Ripley Street/Toll Road/I-80/94 interchange in Lake Station - The current cloverleaf to trumpet structure is woefully outdated and needs a major refresh. It will likely be difficult for the current lessees of the Indiana Toll Road to play ball with INDOT on such a project, but the interchange between the Borman and Ripley could be done. On top of that, they could extend the extra lane to Ripley Street.

I bring this one up because former governor Mitch Daniels said that Major Moves funding was exhausted before this was proposed…and the NWI Times corroborated on the fact that it was in talks. It’s possible that it could be revived.

Maybe…just maybe?
I know this is a long shot, but maybe this will be the spark needed to resurrect talks of the Iliana Expressway. Sure, there are some talks in place to implement a “Flex road” system on the Borman, but that can only work for so long. Eventually, a new road needs to be built to alleviate pressure on US 30 and I-80/94.

No matter what gets done or what is in the works, let’s see how Northwest Indiana takes advantage.[/list][/list]
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Plutonic Panda

The Iliana freeway and railroad needs to happen ASAP!

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on November 06, 2021, 07:41:08 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 06, 2021, 07:34:57 PM
@Rothman, when do you estimate that the I481 project be starting? My family is heading to NY in couple weeks around Thanksgiving and I would like to know that.
Not in 2021.
I wouldn't worry too much about 2022 Thanksgiving as well.
It depends on if the project achieves ROD as planned and if construction funding authorization comes as planned before the summer.

TheHighwayMan3561

Have some states actually released wishlists for what they would do with their money?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.