News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signage pet peeves

Started by Scott5114, December 25, 2010, 11:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

QuoteUse of a T-intersection sign mounted sideways in place of a side street sign
If you think that's bad, the town of Double Oak, Texas uses T intersection ahead signs in place of double arrow signs. This error exists at multiple interesctions within the town.

pianocello

Quote from: Brian556 on October 19, 2011, 09:18:51 PM
If you think that's bad, the town of Double Oak, Texas uses T intersection ahead signs in place of double arrow signs. This error exists at multiple interesctions within the town.
(image)

I've seen those "Captain Obvious" signs in central IL as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

1995hoo

I hate it when the traffic light mast arm is positioned on the near side of the intersection so close that you have to bend down to see the light. This light is about two miles from my house and when I took the picture I was stopped at the stop bar. I held the camera at eye level to take the picture.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadman66

Where is that located, 1995hoo?

yakra

Seconded. Practically every light in Westbrook ME is mounted on the near side of the intersection, causing me to scrunch way down in my seat in order to see. Grrrr!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadman66 on November 04, 2011, 10:14:32 PM
Where is that located, 1995hoo?

In that particular photo I'm on westbound Franconia Road (Virginia secondary route 644 in Fairfax County) at the intersection with Fleet Drive; the overpass in front of me carries the road over the railroad and Metrorail tracks. If you look at the pavement in front of my car you'll see that the stop bar used to be closer to the intersection. Notice the pole located on the far side to the right (under my SunPass that's taped to the windshield). The lights used to be suspended diagonally across the intersection using span wire, which is what you'll see if you look at that intersection on Google Street View (link provided below if you care).

I'm all for replacing ugly span wire with mast arms whenever it's feasible to do so, but the mast arms need to be positioned properly. I hate it when they make you scrunch way down to see the lights.

Here's the Street View link as close as I could get it to where I was stopped. Notice they redid the pedestrian crosswalk to look more like a zebra crossing as well. The new stop bar is maybe half to two-thirds of the way back on the solid line between the second and third lanes. The far left lane is a left-only lane and I took the picture shown above from the middle of the three straight-ahead lanes. The pole I referred to above that supported the span wire is behind the white Peapod truck.

(BTW, the light was red when I raised the camera to take the picture and it went green right as I clicked the shutter.)

Eth

Pet peeve:  states that can't seem to figure out what their state route markers are supposed to look like.

Here are a few examples from a trip I took last weekend in Rockdale, Walton, and Barrow Counties (apologies for poor image quality; these are captures of a video taken on my phone):

The GA 8 shield here used to be the standard; I think most shields from the 1990s and earlier are of this style.
The GA 81 shield is a 2000s style.

This is a newer style, one I think I've only seen in the past couple years.

This one is...well, it's just straight up ugly.

This is the style that I hope catches on statewide, as I think it's the best-looking option, probably because it's an actual accurate state outline.

Examples of all four of these styles (and probably a couple others I've missed) are plentiful.  Seriously, Georgia, pick one and stick with it.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2011, 02:39:12 PM
I hate it when the traffic light mast arm is positioned on the near side of the intersection so close that you have to bend down to see the light. This light is about two miles from my house and when I took the picture I was stopped at the stop bar. I held the camera at eye level to take the picture.

We have one like that here, but its problem is...its a programmable visablity type....so it is barely able to be seen to begin with.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

CL

Quote from: Eth on November 13, 2011, 02:51:29 PM
Pet peeve:  states that can't seem to figure out what their state route markers are supposed to look like.

[photos]

Examples of all four of these styles (and probably a couple others I've missed) are plentiful.  Seriously, Georgia, pick one and stick with it.

Yeah. Utah has the same problem. Several different variations of the state highway shield have come out; before 2000 there was one consistent design. But, I digress. I've already discussed the problem at length.
Infrastructure. The city.

1995hoo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 13, 2011, 03:32:13 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2011, 02:39:12 PM

We have one like that here, but its problem is...its a programmable visablity type....so it is barely able to be seen to begin with.

I don't believe I'm familiar with that term. Could you clarify for me?

Edited: Never mind, I did a Google search. I hadn't heard the term "programmable visibility" before, but when I saw a picture of such a traffic light I instantly recognized the style (just not the name). I hate those too, especially at this very time of year in the late afternoon when the sun makes driving very difficult in the first place. Thankfully there aren't very many of them around here on roads I use regularly.

SignBridge

Why did they position that mast-arm on the near-side unlike usual practice? I assume they had a reason........... The only place I normally see that done is at fire stations.

Quillz

I've noticed that most states tend to have non-standard US Route shields, as opposed to state route shields. I've seen a fair share of strange Interstate shields, too.

One of the reasons I like that California uses its own shield standards is that they're quite consistent. For the most part, the proper Interstate, US Route and state route shields are used correctly. The main inconsistencies I've seen are BGS shields being used independently, as well as various BGS shield practices (some borderless, some with one border, others with two borders, etc.)

I think it comes down to manufacturers. I believe Safeway Signs is the only company that does California shield signage, whereas most states probably have multiple, correct? I remember being in Oregon and seeing a number of odd looking state route shields. Some would use Series B, others C and still more D. I saw wide shields being used for one- and two-digit numbers, etc.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 14, 2011, 09:27:51 AM

Edited: Never mind, I did a Google search. I hadn't heard the term "programmable visibility" before, but when I saw a picture of such a traffic light I instantly recognized the style (just not the name). I hate those too, especially at this very time of year in the late afternoon when the sun makes driving very difficult in the first place. Thankfully there aren't very many of them around here on roads I use regularly.

I despise that sort of light.  I have to spend all kinds of rarely-used mental cycles trying to figure out whether the light is off due to a power outage, what the law is in this jurisdiction for that situation, how likely the drivers are to obey the law as opposed to devolving to anarchy, etc etc...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on November 15, 2011, 06:31:04 PM
One of the reasons I like that California uses its own shield standards is that they're quite consistent. For the most part, the proper Interstate, US Route and state route shields are used correctly.

I could find you a maybe 20-mile stretch of I-5 in Kern County with six or seven different styles of independent-mount shield on the mainline and side streets.  

* 36 inch "triangular" reassurance, otherwise 1957 spec
* 36 inch "triangular" reassurance, 61 spec neutered
* 24 inch state named standard
* 24 inch neutered, 61 spec
* 24 inch neutered, 70 spec
* 24 inch neutered, 70 spec, Series C digit
* 21x18 61 spec

I'm probably forgetting a few styles.  the California MUTCD calls for two styles: '57 spec, 36 inch mainline, 24 inch side streets.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 15, 2011, 07:11:44 PM
Quote from: Quillz on November 15, 2011, 06:31:04 PM
One of the reasons I like that California uses its own shield standards is that they're quite consistent. For the most part, the proper Interstate, US Route and state route shields are used correctly.

I could find you a maybe 20-mile stretch of I-5 in Kern County with six or seven different styles of independent-mount shield on the mainline and side streets. 

* 36 inch "triangular" reassurance, otherwise 1957 spec
* 36 inch "triangular" reassurance, 61 spec neutered
* 24 inch state named standard
* 24 inch neutered, 61 spec
* 24 inch neutered, 70 spec
* 24 inch neutered, 70 spec, Series C digit
* 21x18 61 spec

I'm probably forgetting a few styles.  the California MUTCD calls for two styles: '57 spec, 36 inch mainline, 24 inch side streets.

The "triangular neutered shield" is probably the most common error Interstate shield I've seen. There are also a lot of them along the stretch of I-5 near Dodger Stadium. I also have seen some BGS that use independent shields, and independent shields that are lacking the "California" and are intended for BGS. But still, most of the shields I've seen throughout the state are built to standard.

What I find most odd is some states that use extremely simple shields (like a square or circle) will still have tons of variants, whether it be bad stretching, different font weights (using B when C will fit just fine, etc.)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on November 15, 2011, 07:15:18 PM
But still, most of the shields I've seen throughout the state are built to standard.

the independent-mount state routes tend to be extra consistent, with the most common error being the use of a two-digit shield for a three-digit number, and (more rarely) vice versa.  this is especially prevalent in the northeast corner of the state.

CA very, very rarely uses a font weight other than D (or DM) on their state or US route shields.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: SignBridge on November 14, 2011, 08:41:04 PM
Why did they position that mast-arm on the near-side unlike usual practice? I assume they had a reason........... The only place I normally see that done is at fire stations.

Or at railroad crossings where the RR is next to the cross street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

national highway 1

I'm not a particular fan of how Texas aligns their arrows at the bottom of exit signs:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Takumi

I hate improperly used Series B...

...and everything about this sign.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

apart from the Clearview and the goofy-looking shield, that isn't a bad guide sign.  its overall layout is quite appealing.  maybe switch the two control cities for aesthetics.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

OK, everything except the green part! :-D

(I think Rocky Mount may be first because you get to the southbound exit first.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 24, 2012, 10:48:58 AM
apart from the Clearview and the goofy-looking shield, that isn't a bad guide sign.  its overall layout is quite appealing.  maybe switch the two control cities for aesthetics.
If this is I-85's northern terminus, the controls have to be listed in that order because the ramp to Rocky Mount departs first.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on May 24, 2012, 11:05:32 AM
OK, everything except the green part! :-D

actually, if the sign were black, I would somehow find myself strangely unoffended.

jake@aaroads.com

pctech

Signs on interstate exits that identify a destination (civic center, etc.) then no follow up signs after you exit. (I guess they figure that you have ESP)

Lack of proper signs approaching an an intersection to alert you of the correct lane and direction that you should use. ( La DODT is bad about this one)

Damaged missing signs not replaced. (in Louisiana sometimes years)

kphoger

On Wichita's street blades, they use the hundred block rather than the actual reference point.  So, rather than street blades on both sides of 21st Street North saying 2200 N (by which I could safetly assume houses south of it will be between 2100 and 2199, while houses north of it will be between 2200 and 2299), signs on the south side say 2100 N and signs on the north side say 2200 N.  It confused the heck out of me when we first moved here.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.