News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NJ Turnpike toll glitch?

Started by empirestate, May 31, 2012, 02:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

On several recent trips from the Bronx to Staten Island, I used the NJ Turnpike between the GW Bridge and Jersey City (for the Bayonne Bridge). Reviewing my E-ZPass statement, I see that sometimes I was charged the entrance toll for the Lincoln Tunnel (16E) instead of the GWB/I-80 (18E), a 50% savings for me. I never once used the Lincoln Tunnel entrance, but it shares a toll plaza with the GWB entrance (the mainline). When it happened once, I figured I'd used a far right lane that was supposed to be barricaded for tunnel traffic, but instead got left open for me. I purposely used the far right lane on several later trips to see if I could repeat the anomaly, and it worked!

So, have I discovered a neat trick, or is something else going on here?

Alps

Sounds like a neat trick to me.

empirestate

Not to necro the thread, but I just thought I'd mention that this still seems to be happening. Shh, don't tell!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on May 31, 2012, 02:19:42 PM
On several recent trips from the Bronx to Staten Island, I used the NJ Turnpike between the GW Bridge and Jersey City (for the Bayonne Bridge). Reviewing my E-ZPass statement, I see that sometimes I was charged the entrance toll for the Lincoln Tunnel (16E) instead of the GWB/I-80 (18E), a 50% savings for me. I never once used the Lincoln Tunnel entrance, but it shares a toll plaza with the GWB entrance (the mainline). When it happened once, I figured I'd used a far right lane that was supposed to be barricaded for tunnel traffic, but instead got left open for me. I purposely used the far right lane on several later trips to see if I could repeat the anomaly, and it worked!

So, have I discovered a neat trick, or is something else going on here?

It's quite possible the lane was used for traffic from the Lincoln at one point, then when switched, was never reverted back to the 18E entry point.

Collecting tolls, several times I had someone complaining they were given an 18E ticket and not a 16E ticket.  The 50c or so difference probably had them pissed off for their 2 hour drive, and it was an easy fix for me to revise the ticket.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2013, 02:31:23 PM
It's quite possible the lane was used for traffic from the Lincoln at one point, then when switched, was never reverted back to the 18E entry point.

That's my assumption; it seems to be only cones separating the lanes. Given that, though, I'm surprised in all the times I've gone through that the cones were never shifted over that one lane, even for a day now and then.

_Simon

I bet if you drive through that lane with no license plates or transponder, you get a 100% discount.   Up up down down left right left right B A start.

vdeane

If you drive through with no license plates, you'll have your car impounded by the first cop who sees you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: _Simon on August 16, 2013, 09:17:50 PM
I bet if you drive through that lane with no license plates or transponder, you get a 100% discount.   Up up down down left right left right B A start.

If you drive thru that lane without a license plate/transponder, nothing will happen.  No cameras on the entry side.

It's the exit side where the cameras are located.  And yes, there's nothing to track your car.  Although I would imagine a cop will find you somewhere eventually, and the $5 toll you avoided will be made up with a slightly larger fine for missing tags.

vdeane

I would think a cop would find you even before you get to the exit side.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

_Simon

Electronic servo on the plate.  Flip up, flip down.   Maybe swap with a plate with made up numbers.  James Bond did it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: _Simon on August 17, 2013, 07:41:45 PM
Electronic servo on the plate.  Flip up, flip down.   Maybe swap with a plate with made up numbers.  James Bond did it.

A truck driver crossing the George Washington Bridge was doing that.  He did get caught. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 19, 2013, 10:22:50 AM
A trucker flipping his front tag while folding in the rear tag to avoid the cameras: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/virginia_truck_driver_arrested.html

That's the one I was thinking about.

Though I don't know that I understand a toll evader getting charged with possession of burglar tools.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Tools to allow theft of services?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

Sounds like a spare charge to throw on there in case for whatever reason the jury cannot convict him of the primary charge (theft of service).

The driver was clearly in possession of tools that allowed him to commit a form of theft with the intent to do so, so the charge is legit.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.