News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

[October 8th 2016] Birmingham Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, December 21, 2015, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 06, 2016, 07:35:04 AM
The event is getting close!
Some last-minute things to talk about:
- I have four walkie talkies that we can use during the meet for communication between stops. Does anyone have any additional ones to bring? I have a feeling we will have more than four cars in the convoy.
- Speaking of the convoy, who plans to drive during the meet? This way I can have an idea of how many itineraries to print out. For now I am printing out five.
- Right now the plan is to leave cars at the Target at 10:30. However, some people have said they have to go straight to the restaurant. I am going to check and see if it is possible to leave cars at the restaurant during the day.
- In the interest of keeping things moving along, I would like to try and stick to the times printed on the itineraries as much as possible. I know this is difficult with a larger group, but let's try to do so in order to make sure we see everything.
- My phone number is 205-522-7256. Call me or text me if something comes up on your way in.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I'm game for wherever we want to meet up, but I will have to hitch a ride with someone for the meet tour. Every seat in my vehicle is crammed full of something.

I printed and brought two copies of the itinerary with me. So I'll have one for whomever I'm riding with, plus a spare.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2016, 09:42:43 PM
The event is getting close!
Some last-minute things to talk about:
- I have four walkie talkies that we can use during the meet for communication between stops. Does anyone have any additional ones to bring? I have a feeling we will have more than four cars in the convoy.
- Speaking of the convoy, who plans to drive during the meet? This way I can have an idea of how many itineraries to print out. For now I am printing out five.
- Right now the plan is to leave cars at the Target at 10:30. However, some people have said they have to go straight to the restaurant. I am going to check and see if it is possible to leave cars at the restaurant during the day.
- In the interest of keeping things moving along, I would like to try and stick to the times printed on the itineraries as much as possible. I know this is difficult with a larger group, but let's try to do so in order to make sure we see everything.
- My phone number is 205-522-7256. Call me or text me if something comes up on your way in.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I'm game for wherever we want to meet up, but I will have to hitch a ride with someone for the meet tour. Every seat in my vehicle is crammed full of something.

I printed and brought two copies of the itinerary with me. So I'll have one for whomever I'm riding with, plus a spare.
Haven't ridden with Mr. Republican Kool-Aid Himself in awhile. Come join the two biggest websites remaining in 2017.

oscar

I'm on the way, should be in B'ham by Friday evening.

I'll be in my pickup truck, rather than my Prius. The back seat of my truck is cramped, and the view from the back sucks. So I'll be looking at the Target to catch a ride with someone else, and leave the truck there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cl94

I left yesterday afternoon and am currently at a hotel in Scranton. Getting to Knoxville tonight and leaving there for Birmingham first thing tomorrow morning.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

74/171FAN

I think the walkie talkie idea may be a good idea for large meets in the future.  I doubt 20+ person meets will not be ending any time soon.  (I won't be at this one for the record.  Instead, I will be watching Virginia Tech try to upset UNC in Chapel Hill as they are affected by Hurricane Matthew.  It is currently still scheduled for 3:30 PM Saturday.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jdb1234

Due to my schedule, I will likely only be available for lunch.  Still planning on having the lunch at Mugshots in Uptown?

Alex

Will be taking my Dad's car to the meet. So I could offer to drive now, but I want to be able to take pics along the way and since it's a manual transmission, any really hilly terrain on the tour may dissuade me from wanting to drive. It's a VW wagon, but the back seat leg room leaves a bit to be desired as well.

cl94

Checked into my hotel in Knoxville. Plan to leave here for the meet 6:30-7 Eastern Time tomorrow, so I should get to Target plenty early.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on October 07, 2016, 03:30:26 PM
Will be taking my Dad's car to the meet. So I could offer to drive now, but I want to be able to take pics along the way and since it's a manual transmission, any really hilly terrain on the tour may dissuade me from wanting to drive. It's a VW wagon, but the back seat leg room leaves a bit to be desired as well.
You already got my shotgun

hbelkins

If I climbed up on the roof of the hotel where I'm staying now, or walked/drove up to the top of the little hill here, I could see the Target. (I'm at the Comfort Suites on Old Walkers Chapel Road, and I think the entrance to get here is the same one used for the Target.)

11:30 CDT, right? Which means my watch will say 12:30. But it also means I can sleep in a bit since I'm just a stone's throw from the meet-up point.

Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2016, 11:48:16 PM
Haven't ridden with Mr. Republican Kool-Aid Himself in awhile. Come join the two biggest websites remaining in 2017.

That's Shawn's line, and you haven't been paying attention. I'm as critical of them, or more, than I am the other side.  :bigass:

cl94

jpi

Steph and I are at the Econo Lodge at exit 252 on I-65, see you guys at Target!  :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alex

Ended up driving anyway, but it worked out fine and I added some new mileage for US 31 through Hoover too.

Really enjoyed the meet. Was good seeing some familiar faces again and meeting long time online friends and contacts in person. Will put thought into hosting one in Florida next year.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2016, 09:07:35 PM
Ended up driving anyway, but it worked out fine and I added some new mileage for US 31 through Hoover too.

Really enjoyed the meet. Was good seeing some familiar faces again and meeting long time online friends and contacts in person. Will put thought into hosting one in Florida next year.

Great to meet you as well. And I'd love to attend a Florida meet. There's that little matter of I-75 in Macon that stands between me and a clinch of that route in Georgia.

cl94

I agree that it was great to meet everyone. First meet I've been to that had most of the really active people on the forums.

And as far as a Florida meet, if it falls at a time I can go, I'll be there.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on October 09, 2016, 11:57:14 PM
I agree that it was great to meet everyone. First meet I've been to that had most of the really active people on the forums.

And as far as a Florida meet, if it falls at a time I can go, I'll be there.

Good to meet you, too. Did you have to drive back to Knoxville Saturday night? And did you go all the rest of the way back home Sunday?

Can't wait to read trip reports from those who attended.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2016, 12:16:34 AM
Good to meet you, too. Did you have to drive back to Knoxville Saturday night? And did you go all the rest of the way back home Sunday?

Knoxville Saturday night, outside of DC Sunday. Heading back Monday morning and clinching most of the Interstates I don't have near DC in the process.

codyg1985

A Florida meet would definitely be an attractive option to me, considering that I have not done much of any exploring in Florida. 
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Thanks everyone for attending! I am very happy about how everything turned out and that most everyone seemed to enjoy the tour. I will host another meet in Birmingham in 2020 or 2021 once the viaduct replacement through downtown is finished.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2016, 01:15:20 PM
Thanks everyone for attending! I am very happy about how everything turned out and that most everyone seemed to enjoy the tour. I will host another meet in Birmingham in 2020 or 2021 once the viaduct replacement through downtown is finished.
Cool, will keep that in mind :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2016, 01:15:20 PM

Cody - thank you so much for hosting this meet. Very well done. It was a great mix of urban and rural things to see. Your attention to detail on the itineraries (with the maps as well as the driving directions - and the estimated times of arrival and departure for each stop) are greatly appreciated. Plus the fact that the tour wrapped up ahead of schedule was a bonus!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I agree that the estimated arrival/departure times were a very nice thing to have. Simple way to tell if we're on schedule. When I host a meet in the future, I'll incorporate that into the notes.

From my point of view, I thought the route had a really nice mix of things to see. Many of us who have never been to the region imagine Alabama as rows of farms on flat land. I certainly wasn't expecting such varied scenery.

US71

Did anyone else notice the button shields at 65/20/59?

SGH-I337

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2016, 10:26:19 PM

SGH-I337

and similar?

US71

Quote from: Alps on October 10, 2016, 10:34:17 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2016, 10:26:19 PM

SGH-I337

and similar?
Saw that one too late to get a photo
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.