News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I found a way to shunpike on the Muskogee Turnpike

Started by bugo, February 10, 2010, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

The entire length of the Muskogee can be bypassed by taking 69 north from I-40 to Wagoner, then taking SH-51 west into Tulsa. 69 is a freeway from Checotah into Muskogee. Guess it depends on how much of a premium you put on bypassing Muskogee and Wagoner traffic as to which route you take.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 12, 2010, 12:17:16 AM
The entire length of the Muskogee can be bypassed by taking 69 north from I-40 to Wagoner, then taking SH-51 west into Tulsa. 69 is a freeway from Checotah into Muskogee. Guess it depends on how much of a premium you put on bypassing Muskogee and Wagoner traffic as to which route you take.

85 miles versus 56.

The I-40/US 266/US 64/US 69/OK 51B/OK 72/OK 51 alternative is 67 miles.  And you have to go through Warner, Muskogee, Porter, and Coweta.  The $3 for the turnpike is well worth it.

okroads

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 11, 2010, 07:31:28 PM
I try to avoid toll roads here in OK, as a combination of practicality–right now my bank account has $1.98 in it so I can't really afford toll roads–and also on principle–ODOT roads are generally higher quality than the toll roads. OTA is well known for emitting horrible affronts to good sign design like the photo that Jeremy posted, and this one (by Eric Stuve):

Thankfully, that sign has since been replaced (and OTA changed the exit number too):

But there are still sloppy signs like this one I took last weekend (just a few miles from the Concessions sign posted earlier):

But I can't talk about sloppy OTA signs without mentioning this one...  :confused:

Gotta love OTA signs...

US71

Quote from: okroads on February 12, 2010, 12:19:31 PM

But I can't talk about sloppy OTA signs without mentioning this one...  :confused:

LOVE IT!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

shoptb1

What a great "combo" sign .... it's like a smattering of old and new.  LOL

Brandon

Yeah, that's a bit bizarre.  Not only does it use the old circle, it's got the state shape around it (not with the number overlaying the shape as on the route shields), but it also uses ALL CAPS.

Shoot, I'm shocked it's not in Clearview as well.  :colorful:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Quote from: shoptb1 on February 12, 2010, 02:02:57 PM

What a great "combo" sign .... it's like a smattering of old and new.  LOL

The concept of having a white number 9 and OK state outline sounds good though.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.