Regional Boards > Southeast

Tennessee

<< < (117/118) > >>

wriddle082:

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 12, 2021, 08:13:28 PM ---^^ surprised it's not a condo tower yet.  :-P

--- End quote ---

Sadly, I think it is.  I was just there the other day.

The roundabout that has replaced the Y has a sculpture of large multi-colored poles, each with a slight bend as they go up.  Itís too bad they couldnít commission another sculpture of naked people like on Music Row!

ukfan758:

--- Quote from: I-39 on September 12, 2021, 08:21:18 AM ---The contract has been awarded to widen I-65 between SR 109 and SR 25. It is the largest contract in state history, surpassing the I-440 rebuild.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/robertson_county/tdot-awards-contract-to-widen-i-65-in-robertson-county/article_347e6f08-0c27-11ec-a023-27b7309b0491.html

If this is that expensive, I can only imagine what the other segments will cost, considering itíll be more difficult terrain as they go south. Nevertheless, itís good they are getting this project going and I hope theyíll find funding for the other segments as soon as possible.

--- End quote ---

Over 4 years of construction, Kentucky did their last 10 mile section in around 3 years (2015-2018) iirc. For the section that runs through the hills/mountain I would understand the longer time but this surprises me. Are they running a skeleton crew for this job?

codyg1985:

--- Quote from: ukfan758 on September 15, 2021, 12:14:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: I-39 on September 12, 2021, 08:21:18 AM ---The contract has been awarded to widen I-65 between SR 109 and SR 25. It is the largest contract in state history, surpassing the I-440 rebuild.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/robertson_county/tdot-awards-contract-to-widen-i-65-in-robertson-county/article_347e6f08-0c27-11ec-a023-27b7309b0491.html

If this is that expensive, I can only imagine what the other segments will cost, considering itíll be more difficult terrain as they go south. Nevertheless, itís good they are getting this project going and I hope theyíll find funding for the other segments as soon as possible.

--- End quote ---

Over 4 years of construction, Kentucky did their last 10 mile section in around 3 years (2015-2018) iirc. For the section that runs through the hills/mountain I would understand the longer time but this surprises me. Are they running a skeleton crew for this job?

--- End quote ---

It could be due to the way they are phasing the work. Kentucky utilized cattle chutes inside their I-65 widening construction zones (creating a split lane configuration where the left lane would be shifted to the other side head-to-head with the opposing lanes), which I am guessing sped things up somewhat. I don't know if Tennessee is using that same technique with this work zone, or if they are going to avoid it, which by doing so could make the construction duration longer.

wriddle082:

--- Quote from: codyg1985 on September 15, 2021, 01:22:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: ukfan758 on September 15, 2021, 12:14:09 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It could be due to the way they are phasing the work. Kentucky utilized cattle chutes inside their I-65 widening construction zones (creating a split lane configuration where the left lane would be shifted to the other side head-to-head with the opposing lanes), which I am guessing sped things up somewhat. I don't know if Tennessee is using that same technique with this work zone, or if they are going to avoid it, which by doing so could make the construction duration longer.

--- End quote ---

Tennessee has, in the past, NOT used the cattle chutes that Kentucky has used and South Carolina has had numerous issues with.  I think a lot of the issues are the prevalence of concrete box beam bridges south of TN 52 that will need to be completely replaced, as they are generally not conducive to widening.

From south of TN 52 to Rivergate Pkwy in Goodlettsville, I-65 open in the mid-70ís.  North of TN 52 it would have opened at the same time as the adjoining Kentucky segment (I assume late 60ís), and I think it was late 60ís south of Rivergate Pkwy.  Anyway the bridge types are much different along the mid-70ís section than the other sections.

I-55:
The interchange project between I-65 and TN-109 appears to be completed, and has GSV updated.

View from TN-109 looking South off the overpass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version