News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

VT: Feds sign off on "Champlain Parkway" (Burlington)

Started by froggie, January 21, 2010, 01:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

According to this article, the FHWA has issued a Record of Decision giving the go-ahead for a scaled down Champlain Parkway in Burlington.  Also called the "Southern Connector" by some, this road would extend from the I-189/US 7 interchange to the west and north as a 2-lane parkway, connecting into Pine St.  The project includes improvements to Pine St extending into downtown Burlington.

VTrans has electronic copies of the ROD and the FSEIS online.

Final design, required permits, and of course construction funding still need to be ironed out.  The city estimates that under a best-case scenario, the road would be completed ca. 2013-2014.

Alex

Its about time they did something with that plan. Did they get the Superfund site cleaned up, or will the road bypass it?

froggie

From what I understand, the shift to use Pine St was done in part to avoid the Superfund site.

Duke87

Question: Why, when you already have four lanes worth of existing pavement and grading curving around from the interchange to Home Avenue, would you narrow it to two?

Go ahead and build only two lanes north of there if it ruins the neighborhood less or something, but don't destroy what you've already created. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Those two lanes are so ratty by now (the pavement was laid decades ago) that it all has to be torn up and rebuilt anyway.

vdeane

Personally I think they should extend I-189 but I guess this is better than nothing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

I'm gonna assume this'll be VT 189 once complete.

sammack

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 22, 2010, 06:34:32 PM

I doubt it, the construction contracts are to be let by the City of Burlington.

yakra

Quote from: sammack on March 07, 2010, 04:35:27 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 22, 2010, 06:34:32 PM

I doubt it, the construction contracts are to be let by the City of Burlington.
I'm not so sure; there are city-maintained state-numbered highways all over the place. Take (Most of? All of?) VT127 for example.
Froggie, what does your crystal ball say?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

froggie

Let's see if it gets built first.  But if I had to hazard a bet, I'd expect it to get a "Town Highway" designation, which to the layman means it'll go unnumbered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.