News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

I've rewatched the clip so many times and still can't fathom this. An area landmark gone in seconds. Massive implications.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman65

Why aren't the bridge piers protected with concrete blocks in front like the Sunshine Skyway is in Florida?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kernals12

That's now 4 interstate bridges forced to close unexpectedly in the last year.

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

jpi

This is unreal, I woke up this morning, saw the video of the bridge collapse on TV from my local NBC station in Nashville, TN but had no mention of where it was but thought it looked familiar, I get on FB and first thing I see is "prayers for Baltimore, the Key Bridge is down!" from my Uncle, I yelled OMG and surprised I did not wake up my wife.  :-(  I first crossed this bridge in 1992 as the last piece of I-695 I needed to clinch it. Going to be interesting to see what the outcome is in terms of a new bridge.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 26, 2024, 11:19:40 AMTraffic around the west side seems to be good according to the Google Maps traffic layer. It also seems like the southeast portion of I-695 is closed until December.

A quick peek earlier during the morning commute showed significant congestion on both I-95 SB & I-895 SB approaching their respective tunnels, and as of this post just prior to 3PM I-895 at the Harbor Tunnel (which will probably be more impacted throughout this than the Fort McHenry Tunnel due to both capacity & location) is looking congested in both directions prior to peak afternoon commute.

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2024, 12:41:26 PMI am glad that I stopped for photos two years ago.

Looks like my most recent photos of the bridge are from 2022, but my last 2 views of the bridge were from roughly here in the air while on approach to BWI about a week ago, and then this nice vantage point from the top of the I-95 exit 52 ramp to Russell St just yesterday afternoon. Hindsight being 20/20, wish I'd taken photos of both.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

hobsini2

Having dealt with the 35W collapse 17 years ago, I can only imagine how the traffic will be on 95 and 895 while they rebuild the Key Bridge. That was a nightmare in Minneapolis/St Paul on 35E and on 94/280 to get from south to north.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Mapmikey

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 03:00:00 PMHaving dealt with the 35W collapse 17 years ago, I can only imagine how the traffic will be on 95 and 895 while they rebuild the Key Bridge. That was a nightmare in Minneapolis/St Paul on 35E and on 94/280 to get from south to north.

Through traffic, especially trucks with any hazmat, may opt to use the Annapolis Bay Bridge instead of doing anything through the immediate Baltimore area.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kdX14u1Q1CoZ1FsX7
I see that they used I-695 enhanced mileposts despite it officially being MD 695.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Hn7QQXu22hEV5nxV6
This speed limit sign is about the extent of the collapse goes on the City side as that sign is seen in photos of the approachway dropping off now due to the bridge being gone.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Voyager

When you watch the video, it almost looks as if the other half of the bridge would have stayed except for the pier connections at the end of the truss, the force sheared that end off the support after the original collision and instead of breaking in half it went down with it (the Bay Bridge after Loma Prieta had a similar earthquake generated shear that took that whole section down inside of the pier support at the last truss).

J N Winkler

This was sad news to wake up to.  Though it has been over two decades since my last visit to Maryland, I drove across the Key Bridge several times while the segment of the Baltimore Beltway immediately to the east still had an undivided two-lane cross-section.

As for what happens now, the most urgent priority will be clearing the wreckage so that the Dundalk freight terminal can resume handling shipping traffic.  Its closure is expected to have ripple effects on supply chains globally.  Getting the pieces of the bridge out of the way safely will be a major engineering challenge in and of itself--the jagged edges of the torn steelwork have already created difficult and hazardous conditions for rescue divers.

I think there is next to no chance that the bridge will be rebuilt as it was, as such fracture-critical designs are now deprecated.  Nor do I expect it to be replaced by a tunnel, as this would preclude dredging out the shipping channel.  (In Houston, the Fred Hartman Bridge replaced the Baytown Tunnel specifically to allow the channel to be deepened.)  I expect a cable-stayed bridge with enhanced pier protection, though I don't know how feasible it will be to expand the envelope for navigation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MASTERNC

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 26, 2024, 03:44:26 PMThis was sad news to wake up to.  Though it has been over two decades since my last visit to Maryland, I drove across the Key Bridge several times while the segment of the Baltimore Beltway immediately to the east still had an undivided two-lane cross-section.

As for what happens now, the most urgent priority will be clearing the wreckage so that the Dundalk freight terminal can resume handling shipping traffic.  Its closure is expected to have ripple effects on supply chains globally.  Getting the pieces of the bridge out of the way safely will be a major engineering challenge in and of itself--the jagged edges of the torn steelwork have already created difficult and hazardous conditions for rescue divers.

I think there is next to no chance that the bridge will be rebuilt as it was, as such fracture-critical designs are now deprecated.  Nor do I expect it to be replaced by a tunnel, as this would preclude dredging out the shipping channel.  (In Houston, the Fred Hartman Bridge replaced the Baytown Tunnel specifically to allow the channel to be deepened.)  I expect a cable-stayed bridge with enhanced pier protection, though I don't know how feasible it will be to expand the envelope for navigation.

The primary purpose of the bridge was to divert hazmat vehicles that could not use the tunnel(s).  I agree you will see another bridge built here.  The question is how long it will take.  My guess is years.  This is not like the bridge collapse in Philly, which was over a road and could be temporarily filled.

PColumbus73

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 03:00:00 PMHaving dealt with the 35W collapse 17 years ago, I can only imagine how the traffic will be on 95 and 895 while they rebuild the Key Bridge. That was a nightmare in Minneapolis/St Paul on 35E and on 94/280 to get from south to north.

Comparing to the I-35W and the Sunshine Skyway collapse, seems like it would be between 2025-2028 before a new Key Bridge opens.

While we're thinking about replacing the Key Bridge, I hope Maryland looks into adding protections to the Bay Bridge as well, perhaps at the Federal level too for other bridges across the country.

michiganguy123

Imagine if this happened during rush hour with cars backed up and no warning!

hotdogPi

The person in charge of the bridge had about 90 seconds warning and stopped traffic from entering.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

triplemultiplex

Glad the forum is back up in time to discuss this.  History repeating itself, just like others have said.  If they had webcams in the 80's that's what the old Sunshine Skyway would have looked like coming down.

The other thing that pops into my head is how much larger container ships are today compared to when the bridge was constructed.  Lot more mass that needs to be deflected in a scenario like this.

Dumb luck this happened in the middle of the night instead of during morning commute time.  Thank goodness for that.
I imagine the port is going to be closed for several weeks until they can complete searches for victims and clear a path for ships.

Just, wow.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Tom958

Somewhere I read that the bridge carried only 31,000 vehicles per day. I doubt that the overall traffic impacts will be severe, though it'll be a sizable inconvenience for hazmat trucks. 

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 26, 2024, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 26, 2024, 11:19:40 AMTraffic around the west side seems to be good according to the Google Maps traffic layer. It also seems like the southeast portion of I-695 is closed until December.

A quick peek earlier during the morning commute showed significant congestion on both I-95 SB & I-895 SB approaching their respective tunnels, and as of this post just prior to 3PM I-895 at the Harbor Tunnel (which will probably be more impacted throughout this than the Fort McHenry Tunnel due to both capacity & location) is looking congested in both directions prior to peak afternoon commute.

Update: Things are looking rough now that we're well within the afternoon commute, with congestion on I-95 NB, MD 295 NB approaching I-95, I-895 SB, and I-895 NB (including the NB spur coming from I-97 & MD 2). I-695 EB also has congestion from I-97 to MD 10 (the closure point).

For context, both northbound tunnels experience congestion during the typical afternoon commute but this is definitely far worse than usual - in particular I-895 NB, which typically slows down at or near the toll plaza IIRC. I-695 around the west & north sides of Baltimore looks like the typical rush-hour congestion.

Screenshot as of 4:35PM:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 26, 2024, 03:44:26 PMThis was sad news to wake up to.  Though it has been over two decades since my last visit to Maryland, I drove across the Key Bridge several times while the segment of the Baltimore Beltway immediately to the east still had an undivided two-lane cross-section.

I had never driven across the Key Bridge, but I traveled under it many times on that cruise ship I mentioned earlier.  It was always a bit of a novelty to be up on the top deck of the ship as we passed under.  We certainly weren't clearing it with mere inches to spare, but still it always seemed like we were pretty close to it.

That bridge may have been a reason -- maybe THE reason -- that newer, taller cruise ships have never come to Baltimore.  It will be interesting to see if the new bridge will have an increased clearance, and if so what effect that might have on the types of ship traffic.

Alex

Quote from: Tom958 on March 26, 2024, 04:39:23 PM

Somewhere I read that the bridge carried only 31,000 vehicles per day. I doubt that the overall traffic impacts will be severe, though it'll be a sizable inconvenience for hazmat trucks. 

MDOT SHA Traffic Volume for 2022 was 33,195 vpd

The Traffic Count Locations in the Baltimore Region linked to from the city of Baltimore site shows the same vpd statistic and AADT point by the toll plaza location.

The Maryland Annual Average Daily Traffic - Annual Average Daily Traffic (SHA Statewide AADT Lines) application has data only as recently as 2019, when the AADT was 40,365 vpd. That appears to be an outlier, as counts from 2010-18 ranged from 29,346 to 32,343 vpd.

StogieGuy7

Been over that bridge many times and actually remember how things were before it was constructed (and when the Harbor Tunnel was the ONLY way through Baltimore on a freeway). Have since visited the area many times on business and one of my favorite (and most scenic) places to stop and have a nice cigar is the Fort Armisted park which overlooks the Key Bridge and river. Beautiful spot. So yes, this was a shock to see destroyed on video - in like 2 seconds. 

Voyager

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 26, 2024, 04:43:22 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 26, 2024, 02:57:42 PM

Update: Things are looking rough now that we're well within the afternoon commute, with congestion on I-95 NB, MD 295 NB approaching I-95, I-895 SB, and I-895 NB (including the NB spur coming from I-97 & MD 2). I-695 EB also has congestion from I-97 to MD 10 (the closure point).

For context, both northbound tunnels experience congestion during the typical afternoon commute but this is definitely far worse than usual - in particular I-895 NB, which typically slows down at or near the toll plaza IIRC. I-695 around the west & north sides of Baltimore looks like the typical rush-hour congestion.

Screenshot as of 4:35PM:

The truck routing has to either go down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge or above Baltimore now right? The tunnel restriction I'm guessing hasn't been lifted for Hazmat trucks.

1995hoo

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 26, 2024, 03:50:26 PM

The primary purpose of the bridge was to divert hazmat vehicles that could not use the tunnel(s).  I agree you will see another bridge built here.  The question is how long it will take.  My guess is years.  This is not like the bridge collapse in Philly, which was over a road and could be temporarily filled.

In addition to these factors, one would think a few other things would come into play. First, a tunnel was apparently considered back in the late 1960s/early 1970s but rejected when the bids came in higher than expected such that a tunnel was deemed too expensive. If it was too expensive 50 years ago, imagine how much more expensive it would be now. Second, how long would the tunnel have to be to allow for sufficiently gentle gradients for heavy trucks? (I don't know.)

I do think the US government will make funding it a priority, especially given the current circumstances—incumbent Democrat president, heavily Democrat-voting state, presidential election year.... I believe I saw something saying Biden has already committed to funding it, though of course that doesn't guarantee Congress will cooperate, much less what might happen if the other guy wins.

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on March 26, 2024, 05:05:32 PMBeen over that bridge many times and actually remember how things were before it was constructed (and when the Harbor Tunnel was the ONLY way through Baltimore on a freeway). Have since visited the area many times on business and one of my favorite (and most scenic) places to stop and have a nice cigar is the Fort Armisted park which overlooks the Key Bridge and river. Beautiful spot. So yes, this was a shock to see destroyed on video - in like 2 seconds. 

When I was a kid, we used the bridge quite frequently on family trips because of how bad the Harbor Tunnel traffic was. My mother absolutely hated that bridge, though, and I remember the time she was driving because my father wasn't with us. I told her to take the bridge and she said she hated it. We promptly got stuck in traffic on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway; it took an hour to go five miles.

I also remember using it fairly frequently on Boy Scout trips because of the restrictions on carrying bottled gas through the tunnels. It wasn't totally clear whether liquid camp stove fuel and the like counted, so we just went around.

I hadn't been over the bridge since 2006. The last time I drove in that direction, I went over the Bay Bridge so as to explore the new US-301 in Delaware (and because I was just bored with the I-95 corridor after years of going that way). I guess when the replacement opens, it'll give me a reason to drive through the Baltimore area again.

Quote from: Voyager on March 26, 2024, 05:11:59 PMThe truck routing has to either go down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge or above Baltimore now right? The tunnel restriction I'm guessing hasn't been lifted for Hazmat trucks.

I would think the most likely route would be to go around I-695 the other way (what I always think of as "695 West," as opposed to "695 East" over the bridge).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

elsmere241

I've been on this bridge a handful of times, especially before the Fort McHenry Tunnel was finished.  I wonder how many people will use DE 1 and US 301 as a detour.  (Probably not too many before 301 gets perpetually jammed in Southern Maryland.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.