News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 08:14:29 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 08:10:22 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 08:06:41 PM
I also managed to find a possibility of a Loop 505 as well from US 60 to Interstate 11 in this PDF.

https://arizonacrew.org/getmedia/d4ecf887-6b56-4640-91d0-086e87066f88/AZCREW-Nov19-Presentation.pdf.aspx

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 08:04:46 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 07:28:03 PM
That's a whole lot of people for one planned community.

It's about the same size as Irvine, California.

Wow.

I have no idea why they would number such a freeway as 505 when there's no 404 anywhere on the map, unless ADOT is worried about sign thefts.

I was wondering about where Loop 404 would go as well within the western Phoenix area or any metro area for that matter.
Back in the 2000s they toyed with I-11 being Loop 404.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

KeithE4Phx

I also managed to find a possibility of a Loop 505 as well from US 60 to Interstate 11 in this PDF.

That proposed Loop 505 alignment, plus the leg of I-11 between it and I-10, looks similar to a 2008-vintage proposal for the Loop 404.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Oh, how interesting. I wonder if it will be signed as Loop 404 or 505 once the freeway is done.
Renewed roadgeek

kernals12

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 10:48:37 PM
Oh, how interesting. I wonder if it will be signed as Loop 404 or 505 once the freeway is done.
It'll be signed as SR 74 in all likelihood

Scott5114

I have no idea why they would number such a freeway as 505 when there's no 404 anywhere on the map

Are you saying...you can't find it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 11:25:52 PM

I did see that SR 74 could be extended to I-11 once Interstate 11 was completed. Plus, it was planned that AZ 74 would be upgraded around 2025.
Renewed roadgeek

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 08:14:29 PM

https://arizonacrew.org/getmedia/d4ecf887-6b56-4640-91d0-086e87066f88/AZCREW-Nov19-Presentation.pdf.aspx

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 08:04:46 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 07:28:03 PM
That's a whole lot of people for one planned community.

It's about the same size as Irvine, California.

Wow.

I have no idea why they would number such a freeway as 505 when there's no 404 anywhere on the map, unless ADOT is worried about sign thefts.

I was wondering about where Loop 404 would go as well within the western Phoenix area or any metro area for that matter.
Back in the 2000s they toyed with I-11 being Loop 404.

In this wikipedia map I stumbled across from 2008, it did show parts of Loop 404 and AZ 174 (both proposed at the time) will become Interstate 11. Additionally, it looked like Loop 404 could connect to Loop 303 and Route 74 being extended to I-11.

Map Key (As of 2008):
Black - Existing Freeways
Blue - Future Freeways
Green - ROW Preservation
Red - Unfunded
Renewed roadgeek

KeithE4Phx

I-11 was first proposed in 2011 (I forget the exact date).  The Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge opened on October 19, 2010.  No interstate could be officially proposed until it opened.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 11:28:48 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2021, 11:25:52 PM

I did see that SR 74 could be extended to I-11 once Interstate 11 was completed. Plus, it was planned that AZ 74 would be upgraded around 2025.

AZ 74 needs to be 4-laned, but only the portion between I-17 and Lake Pleasant needs to be freeway standards at first.  The turnoff for Lake Pleasant is as big a bottleneck as Beale St. in Kingman, at least during boating season.  It needs to be rebuilt into a full interchange.

KeithE4Phx

With I-11 now being routed further west, I doubt the 404/505/whatever will be built anytime soon.  But you're young enough to maybe see it built by the time you retire.  :)

kernals12

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2021, 11:28:29 PM
I have no idea why they would number such a freeway as 505 when there's no 404 anywhere on the map

Error, 404 Freeway Not Found

kkt

Quote from: kernals12 on December 21, 2021, 07:03:50 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2021, 11:28:29 PM

Error, 404 Freeway Not Found

:clap:

SSR_317

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 11:33:40 PM

In this wikipedia map I stumbled across from 2008, it did show parts of Loop 404 and AZ 174 (both proposed at the time) will become Interstate 11. Additionally, it looked like Loop 404 could connect to Loop 303 and Route 74 being extended to I-11.

Map Key (As of 2008):
Blue - Future Freeways
Green - ROW Preservation
Red - Unfunded
Just a quick note: What was shown as SR 801 in 2008 is now known as SR 30 (Tres Rios Fwy), and what was SR 802 back then is now SR 24 (Gateway Fwy). A small portion of the latter is now open, with more under construction. The former is still just a proposal, though it appears to be moving forward.

ztonyg

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 26, 2021, 07:51:56 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 20, 2021, 11:33:40 PM

Map Key (As of 2008):
Blue - Future Freeways
Green - ROW Preservation
Red - Unfunded
Just a quick note: What was shown as SR 801 in 2008 is now known as SR 30 (Tres Rios Fwy), and what was SR 802 back then is now SR 24 (Gateway Fwy). A small portion of the latter is now open, with more under construction. The former is still just a proposal, though it appears to be moving forward.

Also in the map proposed SR 801 didn't extend to the Durango curve yet most proposed SR 30 plans do show that route extending to the Durango curve (although it also appears that SR 30 is planned to join SR 85 and use a limited access SR 85 to access I-10).

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: ztonyg on December 26, 2021, 10:54:21 PM
Also in the map proposed SR 801 didn't extend to the Durango curve yet most proposed SR 30 plans do show that route extending to the Durango curve (although it also appears that SR 30 is planned to join SR 85 and use a limited access SR 85 to access I-10).

I've never heard of any real plans for AZ 30 that don't run it to the Durango Curve.  Without that segment, there is little need for the road.  After all, its original "concept" name was "I-10 Reliever."  It wouldn't be much of a reliever if its eastern end was the South Mountain Fwy/Loop 202.

ztonyg

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 26, 2021, 11:04:54 PM
Quote from: ztonyg on December 26, 2021, 10:54:21 PM

I've never heard of any real plans for AZ 30 that don't run it to the Durango Curve.  Without that segment, there is little need for the road.  After all, its original "concept" name was "I-10 Reliever."  It wouldn't be much of a reliever if its eastern end was the South Mountain Fwy/Loop 202.

I disagree to a point, AZ 30 - Loop 202 could be an I-10 reliever (just not for traffic headed to Central Phoenix, N Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale). I believe that there was fear that the highly developed segment from Loop 202 - I-17 would be mired in lawsuits and expensive land aquisition costs.

kernals12

Here's a map of real estate development plans in the Phoenix Area

Look at all the purple along the proposed I-11 ROW.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

:-o

That's a lot of residential plans for the I-11 area which is why the freeway is so far west of Loop 303 and what not.
Renewed roadgeek

Bobby5280

A bunch of those planned development projects may end up being wishful thinking. The real estate industry is way way into an over-priced bubble economy. Housing costs are rising way beyond the levels of average income growth. With consumer price inflation set to soar even higher in 2022 on things like food and fuel it's going to kill the financial viability of many of those projects. Add in the additional problems of limited natural resources like water. There is only so much additional growth the Phoenix area is going to be able to support.

If I-11 gets built on the proposed routing way out West of the White Tanks I think it's going to be a freeway out in the middle of nowhere, carrying sparse levels of traffic for many years to come. If that area out West is really supposed to blow up with development then why aren't existing towns not all far from Phoenix, such as Gila Bend or Casa Grade, blowing up with development already?

kkt

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 03, 2022, 12:07:13 PM
A bunch of those planned development projects may end up being wishful thinking. The real estate industry is way way into an over-priced bubble economy. Housing costs are rising way beyond the levels of average income growth. With consumer price inflation set to soar even higher in 2022 on things like food and fuel it's going to kill the financial viability of many of those projects. Add in the additional problems of limited natural resources like water. There is only so much additional growth the Phoenix area is going to be able to support.

If I-11 gets built on the proposed routing way out West of the White Tanks I think it's going to be a freeway out in the middle of nowhere, carrying sparse levels of traffic for many years to come. If that area out West is really supposed to blow up with development then why aren't existing towns not all far from Phoenix, such as Gila Bend or Casa Grade, blowing up with development already?

I agree.  Are there really enough jobs in Arizona to support all that housing?  And water?  Contributing to a housing bubble isn't really the purpose of interstate highways...

Bobby5280

Phoenix had a fairly rough time during the last major housing industry market crash roughly 15 years ago. Speculation going on in the market now is arguably even more ridiculous than ever. My part of the country (Oklahoma) didn't fare too badly in that down-turn because housing prices didn't rise so far out of whack here back then. That isn't really the case now. This current bubble is very big and honestly not sustainable. Personal wages/income is not there to justify the prices.

Adding to the absurdity, look at what kind of homes are typically being built brand new: great big family sized homes for people with significant six figure incomes. Not everyone makes $200,000 or more a year. There is a major shortage in "starter" type homes. Very few of those are being built new. Naturally, speculators from across the globe have noticed the problem and responded by buying and holding a lot of older, existing homes that can fill that demand. We're seeing that kind of activity here in Lawton. Anonymous buyers paying cash.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 03, 2022, 03:34:35 PM
Phoenix had a fairly rough time during the last major housing industry market crash roughly 15 years ago. Speculation going on in the market now is arguably even more ridiculous than ever. My part of the country (Oklahoma) didn't fare too badly in that down-turn because housing prices didn't rise so far out of whack here back then. That isn't really the case now. This current bubble is very big and honestly not sustainable. Personal wages/income is not there to justify the prices.

Adding to the absurdity, look at what kind of homes are typically being built brand new: great big family sized homes for people with significant six figure incomes. Not everyone makes $200,000 or more a year. There is a major shortage in "starter" type homes. Very few of those are being built new. Naturally, speculators from across the globe have noticed the problem and responded by buying and holding a lot of older, existing homes that can fill that demand. We're seeing that kind of activity here in Lawton. Anonymous buyers paying cash.

I know this is getting off topic, and might be worthy of splitting off into a separate thread, but obviously the same thing is happening out here in Colorado just at a higher price point.  Denver is one of the more expensive metro areas out here, and about four years ago, even though people said it was the peak of the market, I realized that the super rich were buying all of the real estate so that the middle class couldn't afford their own.  So, we bought a nice house in a city that didn't have the same appeal as others in the metro.  We became a little bit house poor because of it, but my house has gone up $200k in value in 4 years.  Doing a cash out refi helped pay off all other debt, and since we're not paying crappy credit card interest, I could refi into a 15 year mortgage (which wasn't a ton higher than my 30 year with PMI included) and so we can be completely debt free in about 14 years.  Had I waited to buy, I wouldn't be able to find a single house out here that we'd be willing to live in for less than $450k.  Once you're in, you're good, but it's hard to see how first time home buyers that aren't making minimum $150k between two people could buy in the metro.

Plutonic Panda

Does Denver have urban growth boundaries? There is a lot of land to build large sprawling subdivisions on. Why are homes prices so high?

The Ghostbuster

I think they should complete Interstate 11 to Interstate 8 and then call it a day. Is Interstate 10 between the Interstate 8 junction and Tucson so congested that a parallel route is necessary (which I am not convinced it is)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.