News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite decommissioned US Highway

Started by Voyager, January 22, 2009, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldparoadgeek

I would have to say US 230; since its closest to my house; also  US 111 from Harrisburg to Baltimore. oh and one more  Bypass 230   even tho route 230 itself was only about 35 miles long.

Alex

Quote from: oldparoadgeek on February 04, 2009, 01:24:19 AM
I would have to say US 230; since its closest to my house; also  US 111 from Harrisburg to Baltimore. oh and one more  Bypass 230   even tho route 230 itself was only about 35 miles long.

I like those too, as well as U.S. 122, the truncated stretch of U.S. 222 in Cecil County, Maryland, the truncated routes of Philadelphia too: U.S. 309, 611, 422.

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Ed T.

It's only a short section (a little less than a mile) but it's like a little slice of (mostly) undisturbed history.  I'm talking about NJ S.R.1 (as it's called now), initially Route 18 but best known as 9W.

I've written about it in the past here:
Part 1
Part 2

ctsignguy

Two highways here

in Ohio, old US 25 (the Dixie Highway) which was cut off at the knees in Cincinnati....still exists alongside I-75 as OPhio 25 from Cygnet north to Toledo....south to Cincinnati, known in many spots as County Road 25A

IN Connecticut, US 44-A which was replaced by US 44 in the late 70s...(relocated from the Wilbur Cross Parkway)...alas, 44-A, we hardly knew ye....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

leifvanderwall

I have a couple of them:
The decommissioned part of US 16 in Michigan : The Lansing , Gd. Rapids, and Detroit metro areas could still have use for it.
The decommissioned US 27: I understood the need to give the original routing to I-69 & US 127 , but it would have smart for Indiana & the MDOT to move the routing onto the Indiana 3/9 corridors and onto the M-37 corridor especially from Gd. Rapids to Traverse City.

Rover_0

For me, US-91 (what parts have been decomissioned);  it's a shame that it's under 200 miles when it was nearly 1,500 miles long.  I'd wish that UDOT would route it down this Legacy Highway (not just UT-67), if it's going to start up at Brigham City (US-91's current south end).
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

ssummers72

US-152:
From Hammond Indiana to Indianapolis. Before the I-65 this was the ideal way to travel to Indy.
Even in the early stages of planning I-65, it closely followed this route. Starting at US-41 and the Tri-State highway and proceeding on a SE trek to Indianapolis.

Stephen

sandiaman

US  666 was known  as the Devil's highway  before  it was  transformed  into  US 491, a few years ago.  It had    the dubious distinction of being the most  dealdy  roadway  in New Mexico,and went right thru the Navajo  Nation,(reservation).   It had  an unusal  number of DUI  accidents.   We  would rather not remember it here.

agentsteel53

I don't think renumbering the highway cuts down on the quantity of morons who feel the need to drink and drive.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Agreed. And I don't remember US 666 being any different from any other highway I've been on.

flowmotion

US61 along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

xonhulu

leifvanderwall

corco

QuoteWhere was it?

It's now US-95 Spur, a tiny little route from Weiser, Idaho to junction US 30 (now Oregon 201) across the Snake River

exit322

US 21 in Ohio - I've driven most of the Ohio portion (survives in part as OH-21, and in the south as OH-821, county roads in between for the most part)...would like to drive it all the way to Wytheville sometime.  Shouldn't take that long, but the wife doesn't like curvy hilly roads.  And 21 in West Virginia would have a bit of that.

Not that the Turnpike is this straight flat thing...

hm insulators

Quote from: sandiaman on May 03, 2010, 11:21:40 PM
US  666 was known  as the Devil's highway  before  it was  transformed  into  US 491, a few years ago.  It had    the dubious distinction of being the most  dealdy  roadway  in New Mexico,and went right thru the Navajo  Nation,(reservation).   It had  an unusal  number of DUI  accidents.   We  would rather not remember it here.

I thought it was US 191.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

corco

QuoteUS  666 was known  as the Devil's highway  before  it was  transformed  into  US 491, a few years ago.  It had    the dubious distinction of being the most  dealdy  roadway  in New Mexico,and went right thru the Navajo  Nation,(reservation).   It had  an unusal  number of DUI  accidents.   We  would rather not remember it here.

I thought it was US 191.

The Arizona segment became 191, the rest became 491

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on May 04, 2010, 06:16:13 PM

The Arizona segment became 191, the rest became 491

correct, and it was also done over a period of several years.

US-191 has a very convoluted history, with a truncation from its original route near Salt Lake City, back to Wyoming (eliminating it from Idaho, and that portion of Utah), and then an immediate re-extension in 1982 to cover its current alignment in eastern Utah and eastern Arizona.  Combined with its routing through Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, it may very well be the most scenic route in the US.

the 1982 extension brought it down to I-40, and then in 1993 it was extended to its current southern terminus, eliminating half of US-666 (in Arizona, and the long US-666/I-40 multiplex in Arizona and New Mexico).  There is still one US-666 sign left: a billboard on I-40.

interestingly, it shows 191 as being co-signed with 666, implying that either the decommissioning was gradual, or it was not reflected 100% correctly in the field and St. John's wanted to make sure they lost no customers.

(in other news, this is not the shortest route to Phoenix - I-40 to AZ-87 is the shortest route that doesn't involve offroading or flying crows.  Scenic-ness of 191 vs 87 is a matter of opinion.)

the other half of 666 (Gallup, NM, up to Colorado and Utah) was renumbered in 2003 to US-491.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: corco on May 04, 2010, 02:22:11 PM
It's now US-95 Spur, a tiny little route from Weiser, Idaho to junction US 30 (now Oregon 201) across the Snake River

And as short as 95 Spur is today, 630 was even shorter, ending in the old downtown Weiser before 95 was re-routed to the east side of town.  630 was the shortest ever US Highway, but it didn't last very long.

hbelkins

Quote from: exit322 on May 04, 2010, 02:34:25 PM
US 21 in Ohio - I've driven most of the Ohio portion (survives in part as OH-21, and in the south as OH-821, county roads in between for the most part)...would like to drive it all the way to Wytheville sometime.  Shouldn't take that long, but the wife doesn't like curvy hilly roads.  And 21 in West Virginia would have a bit of that.

Not that the Turnpike is this straight flat thing...

I've done all of 21 in West Virginia south of Charleston. (US 60 to WV 16 to US 19) On my way to Canton this weekend I'm planning on doing all of 21 from Charleston north to the intersection of County 21 and WV 14 near Mineral Wells. That will complete old US 21 in West Virginia for me -- well at least one configuration of it, there were some variations between Beckley and the Oak Hill/Fayetteville area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RustyK

US 99 and US 10 are my "favorites" I suppose, because they're the most interesting to me right now.  I would love to see 99 return, as various sections of Aurora Avenue through Seattle remind me a lot of US 22 back home in NJ.

Tom

Quillz

Ian

US 111, US 122, US 309, US 611. For some reason, I like those numbers.  :happy:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.