News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ Turnpike upgrading signing

Started by NJRoadfan, December 29, 2010, 09:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 03, 2011, 02:12:29 PMI could have sworn there's a "76 West - Cleveland" for non-exiting traffic at Monroeville.  (And a "Columbus Ohio [sic]" on a supplemental sign approaching New Stanton.)

The pull-thru sign there says "Ohio and West."

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 03, 2011, 02:12:29 PMOf course, our beloved Commonwealth won't even acknowledge its largest city west of Harrisburg.  I mean, it won't acknowledge, west of Harrisburg, its largest city.  As opposed to its largest city that's west of Harrisburg, which is like a fifth as large as the former.  :-P

Guides east of Harrisburg use Philadelphia/Harrisburg and guides west use Pittsburgh/Harrisburg, which is appropriate since those are the largest cities along the Turnpike.  There is no reason to add "Philadelphia" to ones west, nor a reason to add "Pittsburgh" to ones east of the capital.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PAHighways on January 03, 2011, 02:33:16 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 03, 2011, 02:12:29 PMI could have sworn there's a "76 West - Cleveland" for non-exiting traffic at Monroeville.  (And a "Columbus Ohio [sic]" on a supplemental sign approaching New Stanton.)

The pull-thru sign there says "Ohio and West."

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 03, 2011, 02:12:29 PMOf course, our beloved Commonwealth won't even acknowledge its largest city west of Harrisburg.  I mean, it won't acknowledge, west of Harrisburg, its largest city.  As opposed to its largest city that's west of Harrisburg, which is like a fifth as large as the former.  :-P

Guides east of Harrisburg use Philadelphia/Harrisburg and guides west use Pittsburgh/Harrisburg, which is appropriate since those are the largest cities along the Turnpike.  There is no reason to add "Philadelphia" to ones west, nor a reason to add "Pittsburgh" to ones east of the capital.

Well, I've already said how I feel about American BGS's not being informative enough.  20 years ago, the entry sign for the Turnpike westbound at either US 1 or US 13 (I forget) read "Harrisburg, Pittsburgh & Ohio."  That's more like it!

UPDATE/EDIT:
On further research, I knew I'd seen a "Cleveland" somewhere:  https://www.aaroads.com/northeast/pennsylvania075/i-076_wb_exit_075_04.jpg
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 03, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Well, I've already said how I feel about American BGS's not being informative enough.  20 years ago, the entry sign for the Turnpike westbound at either US 1 or US 13 (I forget) read "Harrisburg, Pittsburgh & Ohio."  That's more like it!

Indeed. Here is an original sign from the Germantown Pike (old U.S. 422) interchange with I-276.

NE2

Quote from: AARoads on January 03, 2011, 05:50:17 PM
Indeed. Here is an original sign from the Germantown Pike (old U.S. 422) interchange with I-276.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on January 04, 2011, 04:14:32 AM
Quote from: AARoads on January 03, 2011, 05:50:17 PM

Appears as if Jeff doesn't allow hotlinking.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I think that one's just plain blocked.  I can't even get to it by pasting in the url after navigating to PA Highways first!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

All of the Gallery pictures are hotlinked protected.

Go here and the picture in question is the second of the three from Alex under the 8/1993 entry.

NE2

I still got a 403 until I cleared my cache. Gotta love the overkill.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bzakharin

I hope this isn't late or discussed elsewhere, but what's up with the Exit 5 Northbound pullthrough sign? It looks like a hybrid of the old and the new signage. It has "[turnpike shield] North" at the top and then "Thru Traffic\Next Exit 7 Miles" below it.

HighwayMaster

Quote from: NE2 on January 04, 2011, 01:56:51 PM
I still got a 403 until I cleared my cache. Gotta love the overkill.

404 here.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on April 28, 2011, 12:28:44 PM
I hope this isn't late or discussed elsewhere, but what's up with the Exit 5 Northbound pullthrough sign? It looks like a hybrid of the old and the new signage. It has "[turnpike shield] North" at the top and then "Thru Traffic\Next Exit 7 Miles" below it.
Working on that. Up to the Turnpike Authority to decide whether they're ready to move beyond THRU TRAFFIC.

newyorker478

Anybody have any pics of the new NJTP pull-throughs? Personally I kinda liked THRU TRAFFIC ONLY and I hope they don't get rid of the exit signs, as they did on the Western Spur SB at the Sports Complex exit and the tollboooth :D

NJRoadfan

Northbound signs say "New York".

Alps

Not even Del Mem Bridge. Interesting. New York is used all the way up the Turnpike, probably even past the exits that start to go there (10, 13, 14, 16E)

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 20, 2011, 10:53:52 PM

Northbound signs say "New York".

No more info on distance to the next exit? I always liked having that info.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 21, 2011, 09:23:10 PMNo more info on distance to the next exit? I always liked having that info.

They are still doing it, just not at Exit 4.  The signs photographed were installed in NJTA contract T600.156, which also installed another "THRU TRAFFIC" sign with distance to next exit northbound at Exit 5 (in fact, the same sign as that mentioned by bzakharin upthread).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NJRoadfan

The "next exit xx miles" has been added to the bottom of the BGSes of the current exit.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 22, 2011, 03:21:52 PM
The "next exit xx miles" has been added to the bottom of the BGSes of the current exit.
Soon it'll be going as a separate panel per MUTCD

HighwayMaster

Quote from: Steve on June 23, 2011, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 22, 2011, 03:21:52 PM
Soon it'll be going as a separate panel per MUTCD.

Says who?
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Alps

Says the MUTCD. And before you continue to be snippity, I may have influence regarding these signs... I don't want to elaborate on forum.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2011, 01:03:22 PM
Says the MUTCD. And before you continue to be snippity, I may have influence regarding these signs... I don't want to elaborate on forum.

Should that be "Parsnippity?"  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

What's funny about the separate panel conforming to MUTCD standards is that there is so little of the NJ Turnpike conforming to MUTCD standards!  From the Exit # appearing in the main sign panel rather than a tab at the top, to the 25' skip lines in the roadway, there are so many things out of conformity!

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2011, 10:57:34 AM
What's funny about the separate panel conforming to MUTCD standards is that there is so little of the NJ Turnpike conforming to MUTCD standards!  From the Exit # appearing in the main sign panel rather than a tab at the top, to the 25' skip lines in the roadway, there are so many things out of conformity!

25' isn't out of conformance. 10/30 is a suggestion, but by no means a requirement for lane striping. In terms of a lot of the signage, you'll notice it start to comply over the coming years as signs get replaced thanks to the requirements of the MUTCD. Keep your eyes peeled.

mtantillo

Quote from: Steve on August 02, 2011, 09:00:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2011, 10:57:34 AM

25' isn't out of conformance. 10/30 is a suggestion, but by no means a requirement for lane striping. In terms of a lot of the signage, you'll notice it start to comply over the coming years as signs get replaced thanks to the requirements of the MUTCD. Keep your eyes peeled.

Thank goodness!  I was quite blown away when old, but compliant signs were replaced with Jersey Turnpike style signs on I-95 between I-80 and the GWB. 

jeffandnicole

According to Section 3A.06 of the MUTCD, you are right - the 10/30 is a guidence.  However, it states this specifically: "Broken lines should consist of 10-foot line segments and 30-foot gaps, or dimensions in a similar ratio of line segments to gaps as appropriate for traffic speeds and need for delineation."  On the NJ Turnpike, there is certainly not a 75 foot space between skip lines.  In fact, often times the unmarked portion is smaller than the marked portion (say, 25 feet of line, followed by 15 - 20 feet of unmarked pavement, followed by 25 feet of marked pavement, etc)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.