News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PANYNJ toll hike

Started by MrDisco99, September 24, 2011, 09:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDisco99

Did anyone notice the tolls on the Hudson crossings went up 50% to $12?  I just took a road trip up from GA and had a rude awakening when I got to the Lincoln tunnel.  Apparently it went into effect 9/18.

Alex

Several stories broke about the toll schedule last week.

Tolls increase at tunnels and bridges; PATH fare rises by 25 cents

QuoteAt 3 a.m. this morning, tolls at the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing shot up $4 for cash payers, from $8 to $12. For trucks, the charge is now $13 per axle.

For E-ZPass users, the tolls rose from $8 to $9.50.

The tolls will rise in phases until 2015, and by the final year of the increase, the price to cross a bridge or tunnel will be $12.50 for E-ZPass users during peak hours, and $15 for cash payers.

The Port Authority web site indicated the new rates and the date last week, but now is updated to only show the new schedule:

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

PEAK HOURS
Weekdays: 6-10 a.m., 4-8 p.m., Sat. & Sun.: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.

OFF-PEAK HOURS
All Other Times

E-ZPass Off-Peak     $7.50
E-ZPass Peak          $9.50
Cash Toll All Hours    $12.00

Brandon

And I thought over $3.00 to use the Chicago Skyway (7-1/2 miles) was outrageous.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SteveG1988

Quote from: Brandon on September 24, 2011, 07:21:50 PM
And I thought over $3.00 to use the Chicago Skyway (7-1/2 miles) was outrageous.

Brandon, a round trip over that is 6 dollars. Since it is 3 dollars each direction. The philly bridges are 2 bucks for the two movable ones, and Five for the rest. Toll is collected only in westbound lanes for these bridges.

Same goes for all the other ones, Divide it in half to get the true price per direction.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

Indeed.  One thing to consider is that numerous East Coast toll facilities, especially the bridges and tunnels, only charge the toll in one direction.  The only notable exceptions to this I can think of offhand are the CBBT, Baltimore tunnels and Key Bridge.  They still charge toll in both directions.

SteveG1988

The Dingmans Ferry bridge the the NJ/PA Turnpike connector are also the only ones that charge a toll each way over the delaware river.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Beeper1

Aside from those mentioned, the only other toll bridge I can think of in the northeast that charges both ways is the Newport Bridge in RI.

Up on the border, most if not all of the Intl bridges over the St. Lawrence and Niagara Rivers charge both ways.

Would the Grand Isle bridges on I-190 count? Technically ach only charges one way, but for most through traffic it functions as one toll facility so you have to pay both ways between Niagara Falls and Buffalo.

Duke87

All of the MTA's tolled crossings charge both ways except the Verazzano (which charges only inbound to be consistent with the Port Authority bridges to Staten Island).

As for it being expensive, eh, welcome to New York.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Beeper1 on September 25, 2011, 11:23:13 AM
Up on the border, most if not all of the Intl bridges over the St. Lawrence and Niagara Rivers charge both ways.

Would the Grand Isle bridges on I-190 count? Technically ach only charges one way, but for most through traffic it functions as one toll facility so you have to pay both ways between Niagara Falls and Buffalo.
Thousand Islands Bridge functions just like the Grand Isle bridges, though it probably sees less through traffic due to the border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: deanej on September 25, 2011, 12:18:04 PM
Thousand Islands Bridge functions just like the Grand Isle bridges, though it probably sees less through traffic due to the border.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael in Philly

I hope those E-ZPass rates apply to all E-ZPass users, not just people with Port Authority-issued ones....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

D-Dey65

I was surprised to find the Trenton—Morrisville Toll Bridge was a measely 75 cents when I crossed it back in 2010. From what I've read, it's a buck now, but that's still a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

SteveG1988

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 26, 2011, 08:53:19 PM
I was surprised to find the Trenton—Morrisville Toll Bridge was a measely 75 cents when I crossed it back in 2010. From what I've read, it's a buck now, but that's still a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

I never use that bridge, westbound, Eastbound i use it to connect to NJ29 when coming back from a junkyard in morrisville pa. I take the free bridges, the ALT 1 bridge (trenton makes the world takes) and Calhoun street bridge. Both are free and take me where i want to go.
Roads Clinched

MrDisco99

Yeah I realize for people on day trips or commuters it's "$6 each way."

I, however, drove up from GA expecting the sign to say $8 based on research done a few weeks ago.  You can imagine my sticker shock.  Luckily I had an extra $4 handy.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 26, 2011, 11:40:31 AM
I hope those E-ZPass rates apply to all E-ZPass users, not just people with Port Authority-issued ones....
It should. I can't say much because we use a Port Authority issued one, which actually makes me question more if we still get the Jersey discounts.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dr Frankenstein

The southbound toll booth on the Thousand Islands Bridge is on the Canadian side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.