News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I don't have a link to the story, but construction has restarted on I-55 in the south Jackson/Byram area.

golden eagle

cjk374

:hmmm: Why did MsDOT feel the need to remove the exit number from the I-55 south/I-20 interchange from the I-20 ramps? They went so far as to green out the 1 MILE on the bottom of the advance BGS and replaced it with EXIT 1 MILE??   :confused:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Grzrd

MDOT recently conducted an August 13, 2015 Public Meeting about its decision to drop plans for a MS 6/ US 278 southern bypass of Batesville after its re-evaluation of a 2008 FONSI found that traffic levels have decreased to the point where the bypass is no longer needed.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Grzrd on September 07, 2015, 10:40:54 AM
MDOT recently conducted an August 13, 2015 Public Meeting about its decision to drop plans for a MS 6/ US 278 southern bypass of Batesville after its re-evaluation of a 2008 FONSI found that traffic levels have decreased to the point where the bypass is no longer needed.

I hope they'll keep the ROW just in case if future demands bring the need for the bypass.

froggie

I highly doubt that'll be the case, plus it's probably a safe bet that MDOT hasn't bought right-of-way for this project anyway.  They're bumping into the same problem every other DOT is:  dwindling resources.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 01, 2014, 01:16:45 AM
This article reports that the next possible funding solution may not be proposed until 2016:
... with Gov. Phil Bryant and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves explicitly ruling out an increase in fuel taxes, money-raising proposals have gotten nowhere in the 2014 Legislature.
The Mississippi Economic Council plans a study looking for solutions to the state's funding shortfall ... results would come out in late 2015, with MEC planning to submit them to the 2016 Legislature.
Quote from: froggie on September 07, 2015, 12:31:21 PM
... MDOT ... They're bumping into the same problem every other DOT is:  dwindling resources.

This August 13, 2015 article reports that the Mississippi Economic Council ("MEC") is on track to issue its report in mid November, and that "the final proposal will call for a combination of new or increased user fees and a new motor fuels tax":

Congress' failure to renew federal highway funding beyond the next three months is not expected to keep a Mississippi Economic Council transportation task force from delivering an assessment of the state's transportation needs and how to pay for them.
Supporters of decreasing the state's $2 billion road & bridge maintenance backlog are counting on the task force's assessment and recommendations to be the catalyst for the first changes since 1987 in the way the state funds its building and maintaining of roads and bridges.
The chair of the committee, Sanderson Farms CEO & Chairman Joe Sanderson, has said he expects the final proposal will call for a combination of new or increased user fees and a new motor fuels tax,
Congress' inability to approve a multi-year highway bill should not delay the study panel's goal of presenting its transportation blueprint in mid November, said Blake Wilson, CEO of the Mississippi Economic Council, the state chamber of commerce.

The task force, he said, is working independently of anything occurring in Washington.
Blake said that in deciding proportionate shares of road and bridge spending, the task force is "factoring-in that things will stay as they are"  at the federal level.
The 15-member MEC panel, known officially as the Blueprint Transportation/Infrastructure Task Force, is made up of business leaders from around the state. It has received key research from Mississippi State University and the University of Southern Mississippi that defines the state's transportation problems and examines how other states have addressed transportation shortcomings.
The research is getting a once-over from transportation consulting firm Cambridge Systematics
, which Wilson says has worked throughout the multi-state region and can add extra knowledge of things other states are doing ....
By the time the MEC goes on its next road show of 20 cities, the task force will have presented its findings and proposals, including a breakdown of yearly spending on the transportation backlog, Wilson said.

Will the MEC be able to convince the politicians to agree to an increase in fuel taxes this time around?

lordsutch

It happened in Georgia so I suppose anything is possible. Mississippi historically has had a fairly nonpartisan legislature so there may be enough Republican crossover votes to get it done, particularly since it looks like Vision 21/AHEAD won't be able to move forward without extra funding and none of the potential toll projects in the Jackson and Gulfport/Biloxi areas have attracted investment (meaning they'll need significant state funding).

codyg1985

It appears that MDOT had a solicitation in August for a project to add a lane to Lakeland Drive (MS 25) in each direction between MS 475 and Grants Ferry Road in Rankin County. I am not sure if it was awarded or not. The apparent low bidder was Superior Asphalt for $36,295,399.15.

EDIT: It looks like it was awarded.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rel4

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 15, 2015, 08:06:32 PM
It appears that MDOT had a solicitation in August for a project to add a lane to Lakeland Drive (MS 25) in each direction between MS 475 and Grants Ferry Road in Rankin County. I am not sure if it was awarded or not. The apparent low bidder was Superior Asphalt for $36,295,399.15.

EDIT: It looks like it was awarded.

Ground breaking was October 9th

Alex

Checked out the completed work at I-10/110 in D'iberville yesterday and noted that on I-110 south into Biloxi virtually all the guide signs are gone for Exits 2, 1D and 1C. There is construction underway on the viaduct too.

brownpelican

The Mississippi Economic Council has released a report that calls for an increase in taxes and fees to raise $375 million per year for road and bridge repairs.

golden eagle

But Governor Bryant and the GOP-controlled legislature may not want to raise taxes, unless they were to be offset elsewhere. In other words, kicking the can down the road.

Georgia

kicking the can down the road so that something that costs $5 million today costs $8 million in 10 years.

codyg1985

From what I understand, vehicle registration in Mississippi is very high.

In Alabama, fees have been raised for several years now to raise additional revenue. And then the government can claim that they didn't raise taxes.
Cody Goodman

froggie

QuoteFrom what I understand, vehicle registration in Mississippi is very high.

This is because Mississippi has a personal property tax on vehicles...to be paid when vehicle registration is due.  And that property tax goes to the county, not MDOT.

golden eagle

Long Beach wants an I-10 exit:

http://m.msnewsnow.com/msnewsnow/db_345478/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jawO712n

The plan calls for Klondyke Road to be extended northward to I-10.

Grzrd

If anyone has some good old photos and/or videos related to transportation in Mississippi, then MDOT might want to use them as part of their 100th birthday celebration:

http://sp.mdot.ms.gov/Public%20Affairs/Lists/News%20Releases/Item/displayifs.aspx?List=ae1b236c-924d-498c-b14e-aafec6dc2864&ID=1731&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fspgomdot%2FPublic%2520Affairs%2FPages%2FNews-Releases%2Easpx&ContentTypeId=0x010087606675CA7A95408B80E8BFBB944273&IsDlg=2

On March 29, 2016, the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will turn 100 years old, and the agency is asking for assistance in celebrating this milestone.
"This year marks MDOT's 100th anniversary,"  said MDOT Executive Director Melinda McGrath. "Our transportation system has greatly evolved over this time, and we want to show Mississippians how far it's come and where the future is taking us."
To add to this important celebration, MDOT is seeking two important pieces of information. First, MDOT is looking for the oldest living former employee. These former employees will be invited to celebration events being held later this year. Second, MDOT is seeking photographs and/or videos that show the history of transportation in Mississippi. These photos and videos will be included in the timeline showing the evolution of transportation in Mississippi.
To submit information to MDOT, please email comments@mdot.ms.gov or call 601-359-7074. MDOT requests that all information be submitted by February 15, 2016.

codyg1985

MDOT is advertising a project for bidding this month to widen I-10 from 4 to 6 lanes between MS 609 and MS 57 east of Biloxi.
Cody Goodman

The Ghostbuster

Any updates on future Interstate 310 in Gulfport?

brownpelican

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 13, 2016, 03:09:51 PM
MDOT is advertising a project for bidding this month to widen I-10 from 4 to 6 lanes between MS 609 and MS 57 east of Biloxi.

They might as well widen the highway across the entire state.

golden eagle

Work resumes on I-55 widening project in Jackson:

http://msbusiness.com/2016/04/111980/

Grzrd

I recently emailed MDOT to see if they applied for FASTLANE and/or TIGER grants this year. MDOT's response reflects an emphasis on US 49:

MDOT applied for a FASTLANE and TIGER Grant on US 49 in Harrison County from O'Neal Road to School Road.  This project will widen the highway from 4 to 6 lanes.  We also applied for a FASTLANE grant on US 49 in Rankin County from Florence to the 6-lane in Richland.  This project will also widen the highway from 4 to 6 lanes.  Links to the two project websites are below. 

www.improverankin49.com

www.improveharrison49.com

lamsalfl

It looks like widening is just getting underway on I-10 between Exit 50 and 57 based on some construction materials out there.

froggie

Found this article about the Port of Gulfport connector (what some people, including Alex, call "I-310") from last month.  In short, MDOT has spent over $150 million on a route that the courts have ruled they need to start over on.  And MDOT doesn't have any funding to restart the project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.