News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Quote from: richllewis on January 23, 2014, 02:42:17 AM
There was a story on the WLBT 6PM report mentioning the bridges on I-55 south in Jackson and the bridge at 463 and I-55 north in Madison. It said that the two south bridges were going to be rebuilt. I think one of them was at Savanna St in south Jackson and there was another bridge going over I-55 south.

The bridge at Elton Road is being rebuilt. I-55 is rather narrow going through there as it was. I'm planning on going to New Orleans this weekend, so I'll see how things are progressing on my way there.

richllewis

The following article states that MDOT got $32,000,000 appropriated on condition that tax revenues do not falter. I do not know how much this helps but time will tell. The following article is at:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/25149416/miss-lawmakers-finish-budget-end-2014-session

richllewis

The last rain storm Central Mississippi had threatened to close some roads. Perhaps the worst I saw was US 49 flooded in Simpson County at the Strong River bridge north of Mendenhall, MS. Also, MS 13 was flooded 1 mile north of Mendenhall, MS. It will take a few days for the water to recede. Those of you that got buckets of rain flooding rivers and streams, be careful out there.

richllewis

This was in the Scott County (Forest, MS) Times (behind paywall) on the ninth of  April by columnist Sid Salter.  If you look around Mississippi's newspapers in the next few days you may find a version of this column anywhere from today to Sunday that does not come behind a paywall.

States exploring all options over road and bridge repair funding

By SID SALTER

While there were a number of legislative victories during the 2014 session of the Mississippi Legislature, lawmakers could not reach agreement on a long term fix for an old problem – the fact that the revenue structure for funding road and bridge construction and repair in Mississippi isn't keeping pace with the projected costs of the state's needs.

Mississippi is neither alone in the policy dilemma nor alone in the decision to kick the can down the political road for another year. But nationally, a number of states are beginning to be forced to deal with the issue – even if those states have to entertain tax increases.

Arkansas left their gas tax alone, but put on a half-cent sales tax for a decade to fund unmet needs in highway and bridge construction and maintenance.

Six states and the District of Columbia have raised gasoline taxes recently to address the same problem in their states. Delaware is the latest state to examine a gasoline tax hike. At least 11 states are partnering with private firms to build highways and bridges that will essentially become tolls roads.

Some states are implementing complex variable gas tax rates that are tied to market prices. It's been a mixed bag, but the overall themes in these states have been remarkably like Mississippi's woes.

Mississippi has about 4,700 miles of highways in dire need of repair at an estimated current cost of nearly $1 billion, according to Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall.

One of the biggest public policy and economic misconceptions in Mississippi is the notion that as gas prices have skyrocketed, state gas tax revenues have risen along with them. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Mississippi's 18.4 cents per gallon gas tax (CPG) is a flat tax. When we paid $1 a gallon for gas, the tax was 18.4 CPG. When we pay $3.60 per gallon at the pump, the state tax is still 18.4 CPG. The only way the state takes in more revenue in gas taxes is for the volume of gas consumed to increase.

The state's 18.4 CPG gas tax was last raised in 1987. According to a report by the American Society of Civil Engineers, Mississippi's flat gas tax isn't keeping pace with the inflation of rising highway construction and maintenance costs and with the modern fuel economy improvements in today's vehicles.

Nationally, state gasoline taxes average 23.5 CPG but vary substantially.

In 2012, a national report found that Mississippi has an estimated $30 billion in highway and bridge needs between 2008 and 2035 but that the state's current gas tax structure would only generate $15.3 billion to meet those expenses in a "best-case"  scenario.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration reported that the national average federal/state tax on gasoline is 48.8 CPG.

The federal tax on gasoline is 18.4 CPG. The national average state gasoline excise tax is 23.5 CPG.

In Mississippi, drivers pay total federal and state taxes of 37.2 cents per gallon of gasoline and 43.2 cents per gallon of diesel. Mississippi's excise tax totals 18.4 CPG on gasoline and diesel, with 0.4 cents going to an environmental protection fee. In coastal Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties, there is an additional 3 CPG seawall tax.

Mississippi's gas tax is lower than Alabama (19 cents per gallon, but the state allows local option taxes in addition), Arkansas (21.80 CPG), Louisiana (20 CPG), or Tennessee (21.40 CPG).

The question should be: "Are Mississippi roads and bridges in better shape that the transportation infrastructure in those surrounding states?"

But just getting a Mississippi Department of Transportation budget approved was tough this session as the Senate and House skirmished until after the regular session adjourned before the Senate prevailed in getting a $927 million MDOT budget adopted in a special session.

Look for the gas tax hike push to languish for some time. After all, 2015 is a statewide election year.

mcdonaat

What's amazing is that US 61 between the state line south of Woodville, and Natchez, is the smoothest piece of road I've ever traveled in the state. I-20 is a roller coaster between Vicksburg and Jackson, compared to the smoother I-20 in Louisiana. I'd support a gas tax increase, and fill up across the state line in MS, just to make an effort to help.

codyg1985

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 09, 2014, 07:21:11 PM
What's amazing is that US 61 between the state line south of Woodville, and Natchez, is the smoothest piece of road I've ever traveled in the state. I-20 is a roller coaster between Vicksburg and Jackson, compared to the smoother I-20 in Louisiana. I'd support a gas tax increase, and fill up across the state line in MS, just to make an effort to help.

That has a lot to do with the geotechnical issues just west of Jackson due to the Yazoo Clay. It is a very expansive clay which causes the road to feel like a roller coaster. You can't just dig it up since the layer of clay is quite thick.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

Same clay issue exists between Jackson and Meridian.

mcdonaat

Would it be feasible to create a floating highway of sorts? Piles driven into the ground, where you have a ground-level bridge of sorts? Hard to describe, but have the roadbed sitting on something that supports it decently, instead of just on top of the clay.

Or, would it be an idea to dig a little bit, pour fill dirt or rock, and then build a road? It doesn't seem like US 80 has that same problem.

codyg1985

The former is certainly possible, but it would be prohibitively expensive to do for a long stretch. The latter could work too, but you would have to dig down a long way to keep the clay's expansive nature from having an effect. Another option is treating the subgrade material with cement (not concrete) to attempt to stabilize it. The name of the game is to try and spread out the load to a point to where it is about the same or less than what the natural overburden stress would be.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

richllewis

Tupelo got hit bad. Also along US 49 going southbound in Richland, MS just barely out of Jackson. And along MS 468, and I-20 in Rankin County. There was a Chevron and Texaco that got hit along I-20 in Pelahatchie in Rankin County. Also MS 25 and MS 15 in Louisville, MS. It is going to take a long time for Tupelo MS to rebuild as well as other Mississippi communities to rebuild

richllewis

The following article talks about Mississippi's road and bridge problems. It seems like MDOT is going to have a little more money than the legislature and MDOT thought. The story is at:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2014/05/08/transportation-funding-increase/8855887/

Senator: More money for state highways, bridges
Jimmie Gates, The Clarion-Ledger 9:30 p.m. CDT May 8, 2014

Up to $105 million in additional money could be available in the upcoming fiscal year for highways and bridge repairs in the state, the chairman of the state Senate Highways and Transportation Committee said Thursday.

However, state Sen. Willie Simmons said a couple billion of dollars are needed for transportation infrastructure improvements in the state.

"MDOT has 1,054 bridges that are posted or closed," Simmons said. "Based on testimonies during our hearings, it was estimated that MDOT needs $2 billion to replace bridges annually and $4 billion to repair roads annually."

Simmons said the Legislature didn't tackle raising new revenue for highway and bridge improvements, but he said he was elated that the Senate and House made more money available for state transportation needs.

The Senate appropriation bill, which the House agreed to in final negotiations, for the Department of Transportation was approved by the Legislature and signed by the governor.

The legislation approved the Mississippi Department of Transportation's appropriation for Fiscal Year 2015, which begins July 1, at $927 million, an increase of $23 million over the current year.

Simmons is counting that $23 million, plus $20 million appropriated for State Aid projects in counties to replace structurally deficient bridges. He said in 2013 legislators approved $20 million for State Aid, but due to timing, the money didn't get used. Simmons said State Aid has the authority now to spend $40 million, with the $20 million included from last year's legislation.

Also, $10 million was included in a bond bill for the Mississippi Economic Development Highway Act to be used by local governments for infrastructure improvements to help with economic development.

And during a special legislative session within the regular session, language was added to MDOT's appropriation bill to allow an additional $32 million to be used for counties and municipal roads and bridge improvements if state revenue and growth estimates are met or exceeded next fiscal year.

Simmons said the additional money is moving the state in the right direction, but much more is needed. He said a meeting will be held this summer with business leaders to drum up support for a future plan to raise new revenue for highway and bridge improvements.

Sen. Philip Moran, R-Kiln, a former Hancock County supervisor, said having worked with State Aid with the Board of Supervisors in years past, he knows firsthand how vital the money is to counties in rural areas.

"It means a lot to keep up the roads in the conditions they need to be in," Moran said, "working together in the future, I think we will be able to expand our funding for roads and work on our bridges as well."

rel4

http://sp.gomdot.com/Public%20Affairs/Lists/News%20Releases/Item/displayifs.aspx?List=ae1b236c-924d-498c-b14e-aafec6dc2864&ID=1221&ContentTypeId=0x010087606675CA7A95408B80E8BFBB944273

MDOT is converting the I-55 & US 98/MS 24 South McComb exit from a cloverleaf to a diamond.  The SW and NE loops were closed June 3rd; the remaining loops will close once modifications to the remaining ramps are done.

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on October 12, 2013, 05:04:36 AM
There's an environmental assessment for the Coley Road/Barnes Crossing Road project on MDOT's FTP site. Basically it would add a partial loop around Tupelo, and also make access to the mall area from US 78 and western Tupelo easier. Most of the work is already done except the overpasses of the Trace (under construction - there will not be any access to the Trace) and the US 78 interchange.
(above quote from Interstate 22 thread)

This article includes a photo of the overpass of the Trace and reports that it should be completed no later than early August.  The article also reports that the interchange with US 78/ Future I-22 should be completed in late summer or early fall:

Mississippi Department of Transportation and Tupelo city officials said Monday they expect a $7.4 million bridge on what will be called West Barnes Crossing Road across the Natchez Trace to be completed no later than early August.
The bridge is part of a loop to connect North Gloster Street and U.S. Highway 78. A second bridge crossing U.S. 78 at Coley Road Extended is expected to be completed about six weeks after the Natchez Trace span ....
A traffic control signal has been installed at the Mount Vernon/West Barnes Crossing intersection, but it is not yet operational. The final roadway segment from Mount Vernon to U.S. 78 near Belden will open when a new $10.5 million bridge crossing U.S. 78 is completed in late summer or early fall.

golden eagle

Alex

Quote from: golden eagle on June 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
Bridge implosion on I-110 tonight:

http://m.wlox.com/#!/newsDetail/25836683

What is the scope of the project? The photo shows some of the bridges at the south end of I-110 at US 90.

Grzrd

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2014, 09:43:15 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on June 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
Bridge implosion on I-110 tonight:
http://m.wlox.com/#!/newsDetail/25836683
What is the scope of the project? The photo shows some of the bridges at the south end of I-110 at US 90.

This MDOT Press Release provides some more info:

The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) is announcing the temporary closure of I-110 as part of a two phase interchange improvement project at I-10 and I-110 in D'Iberville.
As part of the project, MDOT will construct an interchange on I-110 at Big Ridge Road. To complete this work, Big Ridge Road Bridge over I-110 will be removed and a wider bridge will be constructed to better accommodate traffic in the area's growing commercial corridor ....
Both phases of work on the interchange improvement project at I-10 and I-110 are taking place concurrently; work is scheduled for completion by August 2015 on the $41 million dollar projects.

Grzrd

This MDOT Press Release announces that the Delta Bluffs Scenic Byway sign will be unveiled on June 27.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 25, 2014, 08:31:58 PM
This MDOT Press Release announces that the Delta Bluffs Scenic Byway sign will be unveiled on June 27.

This TV video provides some background on the Byway as well as a look at the sign:

This MDOT New Release announces that Exit 98C on I-55 North will be permanently closed at 6:00 am Central on June 28:

WHO:           The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT).
WHAT:         Crews will permanently close Exit 98C on Interstate 55 North to Lakeland Drive westbound. Motorists are now able to use three left turn lanes on Exit 98B to access Lakeland Drive west.
WHERE:       Exit 98C on Interstate 55 at Lakeland Drive in Hinds County.
WHEN:         Saturday at 6 a.m.

golden eagle

The exit closure was to have happened Wednesday, but inclement weather delayed it until today.

froggie

Local news report about a tractor-trailer hauling an excavator that got stuck and damaged the southbound I-59 bridge over US 49 in Hattiesburg.  Southbound 59 is down to a single lane as inspectors continue examining the bridge, and the NB 49 to SB 59 loop is also closed.

One of the photos in the news story shows how the arm on the excavator actually punched through the bridge deck along the railing.  That'll take a lot of "glue and duct tape" to fix...

brownpelican

The orange barrels are coming back to Lakeland Drive.

A $10 million, two-phase widening project will be underway from MS 471 to Airport Road (MS 475). Phase 1 is from MS 471 to near Grants Ferry Road. Phase 2 is from near Grants Ferry to Airport Road. The finished product? Six lanes of travel. However, there's no definite timetable for the project's completion.

Phase 1's ROW acquisition is underway now.

Lakeland Drive motorists could see more orange barrels

US71

Quote from: froggie on July 16, 2014, 02:00:22 PM
Local news report about a tractor-trailer hauling an excavator that got stuck and damaged the southbound I-59 bridge over US 49 in Hattiesburg.  Southbound 59 is down to a single lane as inspectors continue examining the bridge, and the NB 49 to SB 59 loop is also closed.

One of the photos in the news story shows how the arm on the excavator actually punched through the bridge deck along the railing.  That'll take a lot of "glue and duct tape" to fix...

Have you seen anymore updates? I've been looking, but the latest news is almost 24 hours old.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

golden eagle

Quote from: brownpelican on July 16, 2014, 03:29:31 PM
The orange barrels are coming back to Lakeland Drive.

A $10 million, two-phase widening project will be underway from MS 471 to Airport Road (MS 475). Phase 1 is from MS 471 to near Grants Ferry Road. Phase 2 is from near Grants Ferry to Airport Road. The finished product? Six lanes of travel. However, there's no definite timetable for the project's completion.

Phase 1's ROW acquisition is underway now.

Lakeland Drive motorists could see more orange barrels

I don't get why the section from Grants Ferry to 471 would be done first. That'll create a bottleneck after crossing Airport Rd. from points westward.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 17, 2014, 09:15:19 AM
This article includes a photo of the overpass of the Trace and reports that it should be completed no later than early August.

This article includes several photos, reports that a July 25 ribbon-cutting was held on the bridge over the Natchez Trace, and that the first portion of the Northern Loop was opened to traffic shortly thereafter:

A project 11 years in the making came to fruition Friday when the first portion of the long-awaited Northern Loop opened to traffic.
Tupelo Major Thoroughfare Committee chairman Greg Pirkle thanked a long list of cooperating officials and agencies whose work led to the opening of the east link in the new West Barnes Crossing Road, a five-lane connector from North Gloster Street via Mount Vernon Road to U.S. 78 near Belden.
A remarkably cool morning for late July enhanced the Friday morning ribbon-cutting ceremony on the new bridge crossing the Natchez Trace Parkway, one of the spans crucial to making the new road fully functional ....
The $7.5 million bridge was the final piece of work on the east end of the new road.
The western end of West Barnes Crossing is scheduled to open when a new bridge over U.S. 78 is completed in September.

cbalducc

Highway 49 needs widening badly between Jackson and Florence.  It would be a costly undertaking due to all of the businesses that have built along the highway and the crepe myrtles planted in the median.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.