News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-74 Bridge Replacement (IA-IL)

Started by Alex, May 17, 2012, 04:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

I-74 bridge construction takes big step forward

QuoteThe plans to replace the Interstate-74 bridge got a significant boost Friday, with the state of Illinois doing an about face and announcing it's putting $72 million toward the construction of the span in its long-range plan.

QuoteIowa has warned Illinois it would likely remove $63 million in construction funding for the span because of doubts about the timing of Illinois' commitment. Illinois has maintained it's committed to the bridge, but in the face of fiscal difficulties, it declined to put construction funding in its 2013-2018 plan. The plan was released last week.

In a letter to Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, which became public Friday, Quinn said he had instructed the state DOT to change course and invest the $72 million to the project. He said $22 million will come in 2017 and $50 million in 2018.

QuoteIowa's draft 2012-2017 plan, while no longer including the construction funding, still has $46 million for land acquisition, design costs and I-74-related road work in downtown Bettendorf. Local officials said Friday they're hopeful the construction money will now be included, too.

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.