Error I-40 shield at western end of the Turner Turnpike

Started by bugo, April 30, 2013, 02:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

On the WB Turner Turnpike (I-44) nearing its end at I-35, there is an overhead sign with an I-40 shield instead of an I-44 shield.  The next warning sign is correct, with an I-44 shield.  Should I contact the OTA or just leave it be?

WichitaRoads

Quote from: bugo on April 30, 2013, 02:41:56 PM
On the WB Turner Turnpike (I-44) nearing its end at I-35, there is an overhead sign with an I-40 shield instead of an I-44 shield.  The next warning sign is correct, with an I-44 shield.  Should I contact the OTA or just leave it be?

Well, I'd say that's up to you. It probably isn't a huge deal except to roadgeeks like us, or to anal-retentives (which for many of us, I think it's both). Besides, with ODOT's rep, I don't know that they'd ever deal with it.

Yes, it should be fixed. But, will it, even with prompting? Hmmm.

ICTRds

Alps

I'd contact them. Reassurance signs are for the unfamiliar traveler, and all it takes is one person who panics, pulls out a map, swerves to take an exit, etc...

bugo

Quote from: WichitaRoads on April 30, 2013, 03:21:28 PM

Well, I'd say that's up to you. It probably isn't a huge deal except to roadgeeks like us, or to anal-retentives (which for many of us, I think it's both). Besides, with ODOT's rep, I don't know that they'd ever deal with it.

Yes, it should be fixed. But, will it, even with prompting? Hmmm.

ICTRds

ODOT doesn't maintain the turnpikes.

WichitaRoads

Good point. I wasn't even thinking about that when I responded.

ICTRds

US71

Either way, get some photos first ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

Is it the first westbound gantry (just before you cross the Deep Fork)?  If so, I will try to get out there this weekend and get a few snaps.  Google Street view has a crappy image shot almost directly into the sun, so I can't tell.

rte66man

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

OTA is even worse than ODOT, so chances are you're not going to get very far. This is the agency that posted a US 66 shield on a BGS well into the 2000s. Then again, I-40 vs I-44 is a much more egregious error that people will notice, so it's more likely that it'll get fixed. (Different agency, but ODOT posted a US 288 shield once for US 277 and that was enough to get fixed fairly quickly, despite the fact that nobody really cares about following US 277 there because it just follows I-44. This leads me to believe that wrong-number errors are more likely to get fixed in a timely manner than something like a US-for-a-state error.)

Whether or not they do anything, you should at least notify them about it, because it could result in someone getting lost, or like Steve said, even causing an accident.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

okroads

Scott5114

Wow. Typical OTA, doing something wrong on each sign panel.

Alex

The top half of that sign was missing when we passed under it last May. No wonder they couldn't get the shields right!   ;-)

Henry

Perhaps they should squeeze in a I-44 shield, and have the sign read TO I-40, because I-35 and I-44 will run into I-40 anyway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

It's so I-44 traffic will use the Kilpatrick and pay tolls. Because Bengoatse.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: okroads on May 06, 2013, 11:17:39 PM
I took this picture back on April 14:

DSC02158 by okroads, on Flickr

Did you have to?  My eyes started to burn when I saw that.  :crazy:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

WTF triangle shield I-35.  I thought only California used that silly shape.  (it's a 45x36 3di shape, compressed horizontally to 36x36.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 07, 2013, 01:37:08 PM
WTF triangle shield I-35.  I thought only California used that silly shape.  (it's a 45x36 3di shape, compressed horizontally to 36x36.)
And Wisconsin.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 07, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

OKC has a few. Reminds me of Underwood Deviled Ham ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Any bad signage practice you can think of has been used by either ODOT or OTA at some point.

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2013, 07:10:45 PM
Any bad signage practice you can think of has been used by either ODOT or OTA at some point.
Internal exit tabs?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Road Hog

The heck you say?

bugo

The signage on the Will Rogers Turnpike is awful.  The annoying signs that tell you to pay at certain exits and to get a refund at other exits are pretty bad too.

kkt

Quote from: Road Hog on June 01, 2013, 04:20:44 AM

The heck you say?

They have a sideline in ransom notes, right?

bugo

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Road Hog

Between those two signs, you probably have enough letters of each case to make correct ones of each.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.