News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 07, 2021, 01:07:27 AM
My ex-best friend on the other hand was the type who would circle the lot all night if he had to in order to get a spot near the store ...

I was always amused when I saw people do this at an athletic facility.  You're here to "work out" but it's going to kill you just to walk to the entrance?

Scott5114

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2021, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 07, 2021, 01:07:27 AM
My ex-best friend on the other hand was the type who would circle the lot all night if he had to in order to get a spot near the store ...

I was always amused when I saw people do this at an athletic facility.  You're here to "work out" but it's going to kill you just to walk to the entrance?

I mean, it makes some degree of sense if you're there to do squats. After doing a leg workout I want to keep my walking to a minimum, get home, park it in my chair, and not get up for the rest of the night.

If you're there to do cardio or upper-body workouts it's pretty silly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

If I'm circling the lot, I'm just trying to find a space that has the shortest distance to the nearest covered walkway, even if it is physically further from the nearest entrance.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on October 08, 2021, 09:26:05 PM
On the subject of hotels, room service.  I don't need my soap thrown out and replaced every single day.  Same for the towels.  It's wasteful and makes more work for me.

That's what the "do not disturb" sign is for. But why would it make more work for you, other than opening a new bar of soap?

I usually take the toiletries with me whenever I stay, because I bring my own shampoo and body wash, but one way to preserve the soap is to put the used bar in one of the coffee or drink cups in the room. I learned this trick on a two-night stay many years ago. When I came in for the second night, the used bar had been placed in a cup and left on the sink. It's rare that I stay in the same room two straight nights if I'm traveling, but when I do, I always do this and rarely is that bar of soap thrown out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

It's annoying to constantly be getting the soap out and to have to remember to grab a new towel for brushing my teeth rather than just use the one that's already there (because it's not there anymore).  The towel I give myself 50/50 odds on whether I'll actually remember to do that or if I'll be finishing up and looking to pat everything dry and find that the towel isn't there and I have to pick out a new one.  Thankfully I've never forgotten the soap.  I tend to do a lot of my routines on pure autopilot.

Plus the room is less secure if someone is going through it in the middle of the day.  I bring my laptop with me when traveling, so it's always in the back of my mind whether things are fine on that front.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

I've always thought that having large lockers in hotel rooms would be a nice feature. I've stayed in plenty of hostels that have them (usually repurposed from a high school) and it's handy to have as a minimal level of security.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Bruce on October 11, 2021, 01:28:54 AM
I've always thought that having large lockers in hotel rooms would be a nice feature. I've stayed in plenty of hostels that have them (usually repurposed from a high school) and it's handy to have as a minimal level of security.

A related annoyance: hotels charging you for using their safe as a default and you having to tell every hotel to take it off of your bill.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

As of late, many hotels are not even performing room service unless you stay over 4-5 nights and/or you specifically request it. For the last few years, hotels have been trying to cut costs; so requesting no cleaning/services (reduce the housekeeping staff), using shower-installed pumps (cut toiletries shrink), reducing towel washes (putting less towels in the rooms that go unused), was becoming part of the cost-cutting features. Mostly, they'd like you to go to the front desk and request it nowadays...where hopefully there's someone to help you in the next 5-15 minutes.

I rarely take the extra soap, shampoo, or conditioner anymore, I've got seemingly dozens of each at home. The housekeeping staff would leave so many extras over the years that I'm overloaded. I will travel with an extra bar of soap, usually the tiniest one I can find. Sometimes I have a tough time finding a white bar of soap on white floors in a steamy room with no glasses on...the missus likes having extras when her favorite flavors aren't in stock.

As long as we have some "travel hacks" in the thread, I've found that the packet of decaffeinated coffee is a good way to eliminate odors, providing you don't mind the smell of coffee.

kkt

I thought hotels that put out a bunch of the little packets of soaps were getting them for free/cheap from suppliers as a way of getting free samples out to a portion of the public with some money to spend.  I usually don't use them anyway, I decided on the brands I use based on a some trial and error and don't usually want to experiment.

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on October 11, 2021, 09:54:51 AM
I thought hotels that put out a bunch of the little packets of soaps were getting them for free/cheap from suppliers as a way of getting free samples out to a portion of the public with some money to spend.  I usually don't use them anyway, I decided on the brands I use based on a some trial and error and don't usually want to experiment.
At the lower-end chains, it's unbranded.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 11, 2021, 12:00:02 PM

I usually restock my car supply of soap every year from a hotel stay.  I'm always glad to have extra soap if it's needed on some sort of weird mountain road.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2021, 08:18:46 PMI bring my own shampoo and body wash

I do too, if it's a work trip and I'm going to be gone all week.  It makes being away from home a little less depressing.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2021, 12:13:57 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 11, 2021, 12:00:02 PM

I usually restock my car supply of soap every year from a hotel stay.  I'm always glad to have extra soap if it's needed on some sort of weird mountain road.

So you may be stuck trapped behind a landslide with no food or drinking water, but at least you'll be clean?  :)

tolbs17

snowc

STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DOORDASH, UBER EATS, GRUBHUB, WHATEVER THE HECK YOU CAN CALL IT.
If admins think this is a rant, I'll take my rant to the next level, BBB
Today, I went to Sheraton in Four Seasons and Boy, it was UNSAFE!
$159 was NOT worth it in my opinion.
26 floors and we were on the 19th. VERY fancy.
Had to PAY for Wireless and TV did NOT have local channels.
But here's the kicker, the area.
The area is VERY :colorful: and :wow:, so we ordered DoorDash to test it out. But BOY I was wrong.
At the time of writing, I have STILL not eaten yet. $97 for delivery fees and a f*** bomb bonanza! :pan:
DoorDash were total a**holes and my dad was :pan:ing the drivers, eventually being HUNG UP ON!
We are packing now and heading back home TOMORROW MORNING.
Went to Kickback and they WERE OUT of ALMOST EVERYTHING. I almost said go to Popeyes.
I just want this f**ing year to go 🤬 off into the cold deep waters of he**.
I was saying in my head, "Take me now lord!"
But, I was calm. Just want to go to sleep and head back home so I can sleep for 24 hours and forget school. 2021 is a TOTAL jerky year and was a total loss after Delta came out.
For people like @SSOWorld, I am calm, my father is going to pickup the food from KickBack.
@Scott5114, if this is a huge rant blown out of proportion, I can remove this.
I am so 😡 livid right now I can scream into a pillow.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: snowc on October 11, 2021, 07:11:29 PM
STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DOORDASH, UBER EATS, GRUBHUB, WHATEVER THE HECK YOU CAN CALL IT.
If admins think this is a rant, I'll take my rant to the next level, BBB
Today, I went to Sheraton in Four Seasons and Boy, it was UNSAFE!
$159 was NOT worth it in my opinion.
26 floors and we were on the 19th. VERY fancy.
Had to PAY for Wireless and TV did NOT have local channels.
But here's the kicker, the area.
The area is VERY :colorful: and :wow:, so we ordered DoorDash to test it out. But BOY I was wrong.
At the time of writing, I have STILL not eaten yet. $97 for delivery fees and a f*** bomb bonanza! :pan:
DoorDash were total a**holes and my dad was :pan:ing the drivers, eventually being HUNG UP ON!
We are packing now and heading back home TOMORROW MORNING.
Went to Kickback and they WERE OUT of ALMOST EVERYTHING. I almost said go to Popeyes.
I just want this f**ing year to go 🤬 off into the cold deep waters of he**.
I was saying in my head, "Take me now lord!"
But, I was calm. Just want to go to sleep and head back home so I can sleep for 24 hours and forget school. 2021 is a TOTAL jerky year and was a total loss after Delta came out.
For people like @SSOWorld, I am calm, my father is going to pickup the food from KickBack.
@Scott5114, if this is a huge rant blown out of proportion, I can remove this.
I am so 😡 livid right now I can scream into a pillow.

Did you look at the BBB before you placed your orders?  Yeah, I didn't think so. Neither does anyone else.  So while you're pissed, there's literally nothing you can do other than complain to the sources - the delivery app companies - and try to get your money back.

Scott5114

snowc, you really need to stop using purple text in your posts. Moderators use that color to communicate that we are acting as a moderator. You're not a moderator, so using it may confuse other people into thinking we edited your post when we didn't.

In any event, yeah, it is pretty much a rant, since you never actually said what Doordash did that made you upset. I use them regularly and I've never had a $97 delivery fee (I think it's usually like $4) and I've only ever talked to anyone from Doordash on the phone once, and that was because the Buffalo Wild Wings told the driver we didn't have an order in with them (we confirmed with the driver that we did, and they were able to find it). So it's unclear what your issue is, other than possibly not understanding how it works.

Also, there's more than one person on this forum that actually works as a Doordash/Uber Eats/Grubhub driver, so maybe think carefully about what you might say and how it might make them feel.

Also also, assuming by BBB you mean Better Business Bureau, that's not a government organization, it's just a review service like Yelp or the reviews on Google Maps or whatever. Anyone reading a review like this there would likewise have a hard time understanding what the issue even was, so it's not going to materially affect their business (which is doubtful even if you had a clearly written, obviously major issue).

Also also also, what does it mean for an area to be  :colorful:?

hotdogPi

I've never used any of them. However, once, I ordered takeout normally from Cracker Barrel, and an Uber Eats driver took my meal instead of the one they were supposed to take.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

tolbs17

Another thing that bothers me is when they demolish perfectly fine buildings.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 07:48:25 PM

It is pretty wasteful, especially when they do something like demolish a McDonalds to build a Taco Bell because they didn't like the McDonald's mansard roof.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2021, 07:49:48 PM

It is pretty wasteful, especially when they do something like demolish a McDonalds to build a Taco Bell because they didn't like the McDonald's mansard roof.
Or this Clayton Bypass bridge  - https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5971826,-78.4111352,3a,75y,1.54h,91.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sO35JAttuoLf5fYn4nmy2Rg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DO35JAttuoLf5fYn4nmy2Rg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D83.22392%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

It was built in 80s and rebuilt in 2007 for some unknown reason. Like what was wrong with the old bridge??

hbelkins

One thing they're good for is something I encounter with distressing frequency. I've come across a lot of public restrooms where the soap dispenser is empty. Not good, especially if you have just taken a dump and want to wash your hands. It pays to stick a little bar of hotel soap in your pocket just in case they're out of soap.

Or when they tear down a perfectly good stadium and build two new ones to replace it, and raise taxes on the local populace to pay for it. Yes, I'm talking about Cincinnati. If the Cubs can still use Wrigley, then a stadium built in 1970 ought to still be good.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on October 11, 2021, 09:37:17 PM

One thing they're good for is something I encounter with distressing frequency. I've come across a lot of public restrooms where the soap dispenser is empty. Not good, especially if you have just taken a dump and want to wash your hands. It pays to stick a little bar of hotel soap in your pocket just in case they're out of soap.

Or when they tear down a perfectly good stadium and build two new ones to replace it, and raise taxes on the local populace to pay for it. Yes, I'm talking about Cincinnati. If the Cubs can still use Wrigley, then a stadium built in 1970 ought to still be good.

To be fair, the citizens of Hamilton County voted specifically to raise their sales tax 1/2% to do this.

Seems like a lot of other cities just decide to fund these things without a specific citizen vote on it.

Not sure many of those 1970-era cookie cutter stadiums are still in use anywhere.

Atlanta is on its 3rd baseball stadium since the Braves arrived in 1966.  Their second stadium, Turner Field is the one that didn't stay in use all that long.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: 1 on October 11, 2021, 07:44:09 PM
I've never used any of them. However, once, I ordered takeout normally from Cracker Barrel, and an Uber Eats driver took my meal instead of the one they were supposed to take.

i work for a pizzeria, and i don't even remotely understand the doordash/grubhub/noco nosh thing at all.

you put in an order on one of those, a tablet in the store honks/toots/whistles etc, and then someone prints it out, keys it into our POS, then we deliver it. what exactly is their fee for? we have our own online ordering, or you can go old school (quiver) and actually just call us.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on October 11, 2021, 07:44:09 PM
On the other end of the chain, I've had drivers from Door Dash/Uber Eats deliver food to me rather than wherever it was supposed to go on at least two occasions.  The first time, it was supposed to go to the neighboring apartment, and they must have seen it, because they picked it up from me practically as soon as the driver knocked on my door.  The second, it sat out there for 12 hours before I even knew something was there, and it was another 36 before someone bothered to take it away from my door.  Even that might have just been maintenance throwing it out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.