News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

I've hesitated to use restaurant food delivery services since I've been told the business model relies on taking a fairly substantial cut of what the restaurant gets.

Whether I order online from a particular establishment depends on how well-organized their process for order pickup is.  I've dealt with a couple of places that had no obvious area set aside for collecting to-go orders.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 11, 2021, 10:40:04 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 11, 2021, 07:44:09 PM
I've never used any of them. However, once, I ordered takeout normally from Cracker Barrel, and an Uber Eats driver took my meal instead of the one they were supposed to take.

i work for a pizzeria, and i don't even remotely understand the doordash/grubhub/noco nosh thing at all.

you put in an order on one of those, a tablet in the store honks/toots/whistles etc, and then someone prints it out, keys it into our POS, then we deliver it. what exactly is their fee for? we have our own online ordering, or you can go old school (quiver) and actually just call us.

Doordash is really meant for ordering delivery of restaurants that aren't traditionally staffed with delivery drivers. Sit-down restaurants like Red Lobster or Chili's. You can also order Taco Bell or McDonalds through it if you're high and have the munchies (this is the only possible reason I can think of for paying to have McDonald's delivered to you).

In most cases, it would be pretty silly to order pizza through Doordash, but they may have had a credit or coupon through Doordash, or have a Doordash subscription that waives fees on the customer's end. Or perhaps they were out of town and didn't know what options were available, so they turned to Doordash.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Most of the time, if I'm delivering for DD/Uber from a place that traditionally has delivery, it's because I'm going to a place that is outside of their normal range. I don't mind since I can see a guaranteed tip or am heading that way anyway, but deadheading for the in-house drivers must be brutal.

Also, most seasoned drivers loathe delivering to high-rise hotels, so we don't even bother to pick up that kind of order.

That being said, for all the delivery fees charged, the driver typically only makes $3 before tips. For short trips, that's been dropped in the past few weeks to $2.50. All of those fees go back to DoorDash to help cover their massive losses.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 11, 2021, 10:03:40 PM

Not sure many of those 1970-era cookie cutter stadiums are still in use anywhere.

I think Oakland's stadium dates to the 1960s, but it's a cookie-cutter in most ways and it's still in use for baseball. Maybe slightly less of a cookie-cutter look than some of the others because it's not a "concrete donut" like RFK Stadium or old Three Rivers Stadium or several others, but it's definitely of that general class.

We used Uber Eats once at home because I get a discount via American Express. But our food arrived lukewarm because the driver didn't use an insulated bag like the pizza men use. We haven't used their service again because we decided we'd get our food more quickly, and it'd be hotter, if we just picked it up ourselves.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2021, 07:35:12 AM
We used Uber Eats once at home because I get a discount via American Express. But our food arrived lukewarm because the driver didn't use an insulated bag like the pizza men use. We haven't used their service again because we decided we'd get our food more quickly, and it'd be hotter, if we just picked it up ourselves.

Our only issue with Doordash is when the driver leaves the food at the step and doesn't ring the bell to let us know it's there, so it sits on the porch and gets cold. We've taken to leaving notes for the driver and even posting signage directing the driver to ring the bell, but some of them just straight up ignore both.

We also had a recent order where Doordash triple-booked the driver, so we got to wait while our food was in their car but they were delivering other orders to other customers. By the time our food got there it was pretty cold, and my wife was irked enough to leave a negative review. I think most experienced drivers reject multiple-order stacks for that reason, but as far as I know there's really no way to force Doordash to not group your order like this, or for a driver to accept just one order of the stack, so if your order ends up as part of a group like that you're just kind of fucked.

abefroman329

I've never used any of them. However, once, I ordered takeout normally from Cracker Barrel, and an Uber Eats driver took my meal instead of the one they were supposed to take.

i work for a pizzeria, and i don't even remotely understand the doordash/grubhub/noco nosh thing at all.

you put in an order on one of those, a tablet in the store honks/toots/whistles etc, and then someone prints it out, keys it into our POS, then we deliver it. what exactly is their fee for? we have our own online ordering, or you can go old school (quiver) and actually just call us.

There are a number of restaurants here that either (a) don't deliver at all or (b) have their own delivery drivers, but we're not within their delivery radius (but we are within the delivery radius for Insert App Here).  Plus, with the various food delivery apps, I get notified when the driver leaves the restaurant and I have an exact delivery time, and I can pay a monthly fee and get free delivery in exchange.

I do try to order delivery directly from the restaurant whenever possible.  Uber Eats in particular is horrible in their dealings with complaints that the wrong order was delivered, or the food wasn't prepared correctly, etc. - several times, they've just said "we're sorry that happened" and not given any sort of refund or replacement food.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2021, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 07:48:25 PM
Another thing that bothers me is when they demolish perfectly fine buildings.

It is pretty wasteful, especially when they do something like demolish a McDonalds to build a Taco Bell because they didn't like the McDonald's mansard roof.

Nothing wrong with it though. Companies have their brand images to maintain. McDonald's could claim a copyright issue against Taco Bell for using the likeness of a McDonalds.

jeffandnicole

Many pizzerias have delivery fees, even for those that use their own ordering system or call in a order. Since you work in the business, maybe you can tell us why.

That said, using a third-party to order food is just like using a third-party site to book hotel rooms, airfare, car rentals, etc. Anyone can go to United, American, Hilton, Marriott, Avis, etc, and book direct. But sites like Expedia, hotels.com, and hundreds of other websites allow you to book indirectly too.

kkt

Quote from: snowc on October 11, 2021, 07:11:29 PM
STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DOORDASH, UBER EATS, GRUBHUB, WHATEVER THE HECK YOU CAN CALL IT.
If admins think this is a rant, I'll take my rant to the next level, BBB
Today, I went to Sheraton in Four Seasons and Boy, it was UNSAFE!
$159 was NOT worth it in my opinion.
26 floors and we were on the 19th. VERY fancy.
Had to PAY for Wireless and TV did NOT have local channels.
But here's the kicker, the area.
The area is VERY :colorful: and :wow:, so we ordered DoorDash to test it out. But BOY I was wrong.
At the time of writing, I have STILL not eaten yet. $97 for delivery fees and a f*** bomb bonanza! :pan:
DoorDash were total a**holes and my dad was :pan:ing the drivers, eventually being HUNG UP ON!
We are packing now and heading back home TOMORROW MORNING.
Went to Kickback and they WERE OUT of ALMOST EVERYTHING. I almost said go to Popeyes.
I just want this f**ing year to go 🤬 off into the cold deep waters of he**.
I was saying in my head, "Take me now lord!"
But, I was calm. Just want to go to sleep and head back home so I can sleep for 24 hours and forget school. 2021 is a TOTAL jerky year and was a total loss after Delta came out.
For people like @SSOWorld, I am calm, my father is going to pickup the food from KickBack.
@Scott5114, if this is a huge rant blown out of proportion, I can remove this.
I am so 😡 livid right now I can scream into a pillow.

Spending 1000 words on a blip-filled rant full of incomplete sentences that never even gets to the point of what was wrong.

renegade

Quote from: kkt on October 12, 2021, 12:07:10 PM
Quote from: snowc on October 11, 2021, 07:11:29 PM
STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DOORDASH, UBER EATS, GRUBHUB, WHATEVER THE HECK YOU CAN CALL IT.
If admins think this is a rant, I'll take my rant to the next level, BBB
Today, I went to Sheraton in Four Seasons and Boy, it was UNSAFE!
$159 was NOT worth it in my opinion.
26 floors and we were on the 19th. VERY fancy.
Had to PAY for Wireless and TV did NOT have local channels.
But here's the kicker, the area.
The area is VERY :colorful: and :wow:, so we ordered DoorDash to test it out. But BOY I was wrong.
At the time of writing, I have STILL not eaten yet. $97 for delivery fees and a f*** bomb bonanza! :pan:
DoorDash were total a**holes and my dad was :pan:ing the drivers, eventually being HUNG UP ON!
We are packing now and heading back home TOMORROW MORNING.
Went to Kickback and they WERE OUT of ALMOST EVERYTHING. I almost said go to Popeyes.
I just want this f**ing year to go 🤬 off into the cold deep waters of he**.
I was saying in my head, "Take me now lord!"
But, I was calm. Just want to go to sleep and head back home so I can sleep for 24 hours and forget school. 2021 is a TOTAL jerky year and was a total loss after Delta came out.
For people like @SSOWorld, I am calm, my father is going to pickup the food from KickBack.
@Scott5114, if this is a huge rant blown out of proportion, I can remove this.
I am so 😡 livid right now I can scream into a pillow.

Spending 1000 words on a blip-filled rant full of incomplete sentences that never even gets to the point of what was wrong.
Gotta love those emojis.  They communicate what words can't.   :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2021, 11:47:10 AM

Many pizzerias have delivery fees, even for those that use their own ordering system or call in a order. Since you work in the business, maybe you can tell us why.

you know what? i'm gonna ask when i go to work friday night, because that piques my own curiosity. it's not paid to the delivery driver, i know the farther out it is, the more it is, thats for sure. i get, 6.5% commission on everything i deliver, plus whatever you decide to tip me.

and you will tip me. i promise, if i ever deliver you pizza, you will remember me in a cool way. i am not your average 20-something driver.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

I've never used any of those services, in large part because I live in a rural area in a county with a population of 7,000. Last year when all the restaurants were ordered closed for in-person dining, someone tried to start a local delivery service, but I don't know if it lasted or if it's still in business.

I'm wary of ordering a prepared meal for delivery, on the (very good and increasingly more likely) chance that something's not right. I honestly don't get the appeal of having something delivered from Applebee's, Chili's, O'Charley's, or someplace like that. I'm more likely to place a carryout order and go get it myself if I'm in a city that has those restaurants. (But I'm even more likely to find a Culver's or someplace like that).

I don't even really like to order pizza to be delivered if I'm in a motel somewhere, unless it's raining and I just don't want to get out and am exceedingly hungry. (Remember, I'm the guy who would rather skip lunch than have to sit in a drive-thru line to order and get my food). Wait times are exceedingly long -- I remember Domino's coming to Morehead when I was a student and loving their 30-minute delivery guarantee -- and then there's the added cost of a tip to the driver. You don't have to pay that if you pick it up yourself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 12, 2021, 01:13:11 PM

you know what? i'm gonna ask when i go to work friday night, because that piques my own curiosity. it's not paid to the delivery driver, i know the farther out it is, the more it is, thats for sure. i get, 6.5% commission on everything i deliver, plus whatever you decide to tip me.

and you will tip me. i promise, if i ever deliver you pizza, you will remember me in a cool way. i am not your average 20-something driver.

In the summer, we often try to put on the order to deliver to the back gate.  Many ignore that. One driver not only went to the back gate, she even knew how to unlatch the lock! That got her an extra tip!

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2021, 04:44:36 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 12, 2021, 01:13:11 PM

In the summer, we often try to put on the order to deliver to the back gate.  Many ignore that. One driver not only went to the back gate, she even knew how to unlatch the lock! That got her an extra tip!

i pay special attention to things like that, and will generally send you a picture of your food in your requested location, unless i know for a fact that the phone number on the ticket is a landline. then i'll call. i also leave my own number on the ticket, so if there's god forbid a problem, you can contact me directly so i can make things right. i have told my managers that if a customer calls about the status of food that's currently in my possession, they can give the customer my phone number. i will also call customers if i'm running late (trains are a problem in my area, for example). i provide better than average service, and consistently out-earn the other drivers on my shift.

i'm a people guy, and genuinely enjoy the work i do, which i imagine shows in my interactions with the customers.

i have:

• chased escaped dogs and cats for customers
  • delivered to the jail, the hospital, and police station
  • seen pretty much any weirdness you can think of
  • gone to a convenience store to get a soda for someone who forgot to order it
clinched:

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 12, 2021, 09:42:32 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2021, 07:35:12 AM

Our only issue with Doordash is when the driver leaves the food at the step and doesn't ring the bell to let us know it's there, so it sits on the porch and gets cold. We've taken to leaving notes for the driver and even posting signage directing the driver to ring the bell, but some of them just straight up ignore both.

We also had a recent order where Doordash triple-booked the driver, so we got to wait while our food was in their car but they were delivering other orders to other customers. By the time our food got there it was pretty cold, and my wife was irked enough to leave a negative review. I think most experienced drivers reject multiple-order stacks for that reason, but as far as I know there's really no way to force Doordash to not group your order like this, or for a driver to accept just one order of the stack, so if your order ends up as part of a group like that you're just kind of fucked.

The app is pretty buggy and will often not include the delivery notes (which is why I have to annoy customers by texting them for their apartment number and stuff). Also, a lot of drivers aren't native English speakers, so they might not be able to read the notes; the app does have a built-in translation, which mostly gets it right from Spanish-to-English from what I've experienced.

And yeah, no excuse for the insulated bags thing (unless the order is awkwardly large). I always have at least four when I'm delivering (in various sizes) so that the smell doesn't get all over my car. Keeping the food warm/cool for the customer is just an added bonus.

formulanone

I usually try to pick up almost any food instead of delivery; it's much easier for them to fix a mistake in your favor, and naturally...you get to drive.

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 12, 2021, 05:41:25 PM
i have:

I delivered pizzas about 25 years ago. I enjoyed most of it, and the job was good pay/tips for the time spent.

1) I have a really big mean dog chase me down once. Thank goodness it stopped inches away from me (probably because it smelled food).

2) Out of that group, I only delivered to hospitals. Both the patients and medical staff tipped quite well!

3) I had a few weird deliveries...

- An apartment I was supposed to deliver to became a crime scene (sadly, domestic battery). The cop and next-door neighbor split the bill on two pizzas.

- I'd delivered to restaurants, though usually to the staff; meet them in the back (they also tip well). But one manager actually ordered a pizza to a patron's table; they literally couldn't decide on what to eat at a Mexican restaurant, so he ordered them a pizza.*

- I'm amazed how few clothes people will wear (if any) and still answer the door. For some people, pizza must be better than sex.

4) I've had to do that too. Usually it's because I forgot to grab it from the fridge. There was one grocery mart that charged about the same, so it wasn't a big loss.

* Don't try to figure it out, you'll probably get an aneurysm.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on October 12, 2021, 06:18:00 PM
I usually try to pick up almost any food instead of delivery; it's much easier for them to fix a mistake in your favor, and naturally...you get to drive.

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 12, 2021, 05:41:25 PM
i have:

- I'm amazed how few clothes people will wear (if any) and still answer the door. For some people, pizza must be better than sex.

had a lady come to the door a few weeks ago, topless. she goes 'oh my god i'm so stoned i forgot to put a shirt on!'

careful with the ranch sauce, ma'am.
clinched:

wxfree

I'm bothered by years of different lengths.  I don't mean leap years, but "long years" and "short years."  If something happened three years ago, how do I know if that was three long years ago or three short years ago?  What if it was two short years and one long year?  How do you average those out?  Do all of the years in a set have to be the same length?  Are there any medium years?  What if people disagree about whether a year, or a block of years, was long or short?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

webny99

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 12, 2021, 07:21:35 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 12, 2021, 06:18:00 PM

had a lady come to the door a few weeks ago, topless. she goes 'oh my god i'm so stoned i forgot to put a shirt on!'

careful with the ranch sauce, ma'am.

My goodness. When I was younger I used to go door to door selling things as a fundraiser, and never had an experience like that. Of course, it's a little different when they're not expecting you... on the one hand they can just not answer the door, but on the other hand you don't expect them to be prepared either. One time a guy came to the door shirtless, clearly awoken by the doorbell, but that was about as, umm... interesting... as it got.

But for something that you've ordered and are expecting, I'd say come to the door looking somewhat respectable or don't come at all!

allniter89

Quote from: wxfree on October 12, 2021, 08:17:02 PM
I'm bothered by years of different lengths.  I don't mean leap years, but "long years" and "short years."  If something happened three years ago, how do I know if that was three long years ago or three short years ago?  What if it was two short years and one long year?  How do you average those out?  Do all of the years in a set have to be the same length?  Are there any medium years?  What if people disagree about whether a year, or a block of years, was long or short?
What constitutes a long yr or short yr for u?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

wxfree

Quote from: allniter89 on October 12, 2021, 09:13:10 PM

I don't think in those terms.  All years are the same to me.  Even a leap year is still just a year.  One extra day isn't enough to make it a long year.

webny99

Quote from: wxfree on October 12, 2021, 09:38:31 PM

I don't think in those terms.  All years are the same to me.  Even a leap year is still just a year.  One extra day isn't enough to make it a long year.

I guess I am confused. If you don't count leap years, in what context is a year longer or shorter than any other year?

wxfree

Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2021, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: wxfree on October 12, 2021, 09:38:31 PM

I guess I am confused. If you don't count leap years, in what context is a year longer or shorter than any other year?

In no context.  I don't use those terms.  What bothers me is people saying "short years" and "long years."  That's what I was complaining about.

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2021, 11:41:58 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2021, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 07:48:25 PM
Another thing that bothers me is when they demolish perfectly fine buildings.

It is pretty wasteful, especially when they do something like demolish a McDonalds to build a Taco Bell because they didn't like the McDonald's mansard roof.

Nothing wrong with it though. Companies have their brand images to maintain. McDonald's could claim a copyright issue against Taco Bell for using the likeness of a McDonalds.

There is something wrong with it–it wastes a tremendous amount of building materials. That lumber and metal has to come from somewhere. It also negatively affects other people in the market for building materials by driving up the price, and also all of the demolished building materials have to be disposed of somehow. But waaaah waaahh, widdle Wonald McDonwald is gonna get his fee-fees hurt if big mean Taco Bell sells tacos out of his old building. My advice to Ronald is to get over it and dry your tears with a hundred-dollar bill, you stupid clown; if you want control over what buildings that look like that are used for, you shouldn't close down your restaurants and sell them to someone else.

There was an old Pizza Hut near here that was vacated when they built a new one. It was one of those older Pizza Huts that's very obviously a Pizza Hut. A great Asian restaurant operated out of there until they went out of business. Then it got demolished and a Scooter's Coffee was built there (snore, we have 10,811 of those around here already).

Around ten years ago there was even a McDonald's demolished here to build...a McDonald's, with the "eyebrow of doom" instead of the mansard roof. That's really dumb. If your purpose-built building is such shit you have to demolish it and build a new one to do the exact same thing in it, you either fucked up in planning or maintenance somewhere along the way.

kenarmy

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 12, 2021, 11:08:29 PM

[/quote]
There was an old Pizza Hut near here that was vacated when they built a new one. It was one of those older Pizza Huts that's very obviously a Pizza Hut. A great Asian restaurant operated out of there until they went out of business. Then it got demolished and a Scooter's Coffee was built there (snore, we have 10,811 of those around here already).
[/quote]
Omg that's the same thing that happened to the Pizza Hut near Northpark Mall in Ridgeland. If I remember correctly the Asian restaurant closed down and now it's another Asian restaurant now but the building wasn't demolished. Yet.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.