News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Slang

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 08, 2019, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Pop (instead of soda or cola)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Henry on September 17, 2019, 10:19:07 AM
Pop (instead of soda or cola)

If it is, then "soda" is also slang. Both words have other meanings.

I personally believe that neither one is slang.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Nah.  Soda is the way to say it.  Pop is for five-year-olds.  And, if you call everything a coke, something is wrong with your head and it is stupefying how a brand has that much sway over English in your neck of the  woods.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on September 17, 2019, 10:24:46 AM
Nah.  Soda is the way to say it.  Pop is for five-year-olds.  And, if you call everything a coke, something is wrong with your head and it is stupefying how a brand has that much sway over English in your neck of the  woods.

Horse crap.  Soda is a caustic substance (hence soda lakes).  Pop is what you drink.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 89

Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2019, 10:31:29 AM

Horse crap.  Soda is a caustic substance (hence soda lakes).  Pop is what you drink.

Pop is for balloons, not people.

roadman

QuoteSoda is a caustic substance

That pretty much describes most Coca-Cola and Pepsi products.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 11:06:53 AM
Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2019, 10:31:29 AM

Pop is for balloons, not people.

Grew up saying "pop" in Michigan but got weird looks the first time I asked for it at a restaurant after moving to Connecticut.  I generally ask for what I want by the name brand but use "soda" far more often than I do "pop" nowadays.  Pop was pretty much the thing to say throughout the Mid-West.

adventurernumber1

Despite living (all my life) in the South, I actually say "soda"  most often. I don't see why there would be a problem with any of the other soft drink "slang,"  such as coke or pop. If someone says any of those, I know what they're talking about, and I don't see why any of those terms would be inferior. It's just different slang used in different parts of the country.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hotdogPi

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 17, 2019, 12:23:23 PM
Despite living (all my life) in the South, I actually say "soda"  most often. I don't see why there would be a problem with any of the other soft drink "slang,"  such as coke or pop. If someone says any of those, I know what they're talking about, and I don't see why any of those terms would be inferior. It's just different slang used in different parts of the country.

It's not slang, though. If it was slang, it would not be used in formal English.
Clinched, plus MA 286

hbelkins

"Soda" just sounds pretentious to me. Around here, it's "pop." Short for "soda pop."

Here's one I'm seeing a lot more often, which really gets on my nerves. "Tryna." Used in a sentence: "Be quiet, I'm tryna talk on the phone."

The words you illiterates are looking for are "trying to."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2019, 12:29:20 PM

Here's one I'm seeing a lot more often, which really gets on my nerves. "Tryna." Used in a sentence: "Be quiet, I'm tryna talk on the phone."

The words you illiterates are looking for are "trying to."

I've seen people typing "jus" instead of "just" (the context makes it clear what was meant). Talk about extreme laziness.

One that really grates on my nerves is when people write "should have" or "would have." Some of those people actually think these forms are correct. (I wonder how said people perform on their high school standardized tests, such as the SAT, where "should have" and "would have" are frequently available as obvious wrong answers to tempt stupid people.) If you want to contract the full form and don't want to write "should've" or "would've," then write "shoulda" or "woulda." I view those as being sort of like "gonna"–not technically correct, and surely inappropriate in a professional or academic situation, but generally acceptable for casual writing in view of the way it's often pronounced when spoken.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

I hear both "soda" and "pop" with regularity in the PNW.

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 12:40:16 PM
One that really grates on my nerves is when people write "should have" or "would have."

Heh, the forum autocorrected what you were trying to say.  :-D

1995hoo

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 02:34:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 12:40:16 PM
One that really grates on my nerves is when people write "should have" or "would have."

Heh, the forum autocorrected what you were trying to say.  :-D

Weird, on my screen it did not autocorrect it, regardless of whether I view the forum on my PC or on my phone. I wonder what's going on there?

US 89

If I recall correctly, it's a forum word filter that you can turn on and off. If you go to the Look and Layout section of your profile, I'm betting you have the "leave words uncensored"  box checked.

Rothman

Heh.  And here I was wondering why he was making such a fool of himself. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 03:56:56 PM
If I recall correctly, it's a forum word filter that you can turn on and off. If you go to the Look and Layout section of your profile, I'm betting you have the "leave words uncensored"  box checked.

I just went and looked and I do indeed have that box checked. Interesting. Those expressions aren't ones I'd have expected to see filtered or changed. Most of the time when I've seen forum word filters, they're used to censor impolite racial expressions, slang terms for homosexuals, and perhaps some profanities. I wonder what this forum's full list of "censored" words/expressions is.

I suppose I could go back and format my prior post to get around the word filter, but that seems sort of pointless now.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 04:38:02 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 03:56:56 PM

I just went and looked and I do indeed have that box checked. Interesting. Those expressions aren't ones I'd have expected to see filtered or changed. Most of the time when I've seen forum word filters, they're used to censor impolite racial expressions, slang terms for homosexuals, and perhaps some profanities. I wonder what this forum's full list of "censored" words/expressions is.

I suppose I could go back and format my prior post to get around the word filter, but that seems sort of pointless now.

The only other non-profanity/insult filter on this forum is one that turns auto-generated Tapatalk text to 1-size white font.
Clinched, plus MA 286

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2019, 08:57:42 PM
Then again, the people in southern Indiana that called green peppers mangoes are in a sphere all unto themselves.

It's not limited to just southern Indiana, as I recall.  I think it (used to?) stretch into the bootheel of Missouri too, for example.  At any rate, this particular terminology dates back to when it was fairly common for people to pickle mangoes.  Over time, anything that people might pickle came to be referred to as a "mango".  Because peppers are a common thing to pickle, they ended up being called mangoes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on September 17, 2019, 04:53:09 PM
The only other non-profanity/insult filter on this forum is one that turns auto-generated Tapatalk text to 1-size white font.

I meant I wonder what the whole list includes–profanities and insults included. It would take way too long to try to come up with a list of every profanity, racist term, anti-homosexual expression, etc., that I can think of in order to test it.

I recall at one point it changed "Alanland"  to "Magical Place of Destiny."  (In this post I formatted that word to make sure any word filter wouldn't apply, although I think that word is no longer taboo.)

Bruce

Seattle area slang:

"The mountain is out" - A common saying for when weather is good enough to see Mount Rainier

"Uff da / You betcha" - Holdovers from our Scandinavian heritage, but slowly drowned out now by recent transplants

"Potlach / tolo / Skookum / Tyee" - Holdovers from Chinook Jargon, which was slowly drowned out by less-than-recent transplants

And of course all of these classic Grunge terms (which were made up by pranksters at Sub Pop).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2019, 08:57:42 PM
Quote from: csw on September 09, 2019, 08:50:24 AM
ope
Meh.  The Internet has led Midwesterners to think that they are more unique than they are.

Because in classic MW passive-aggressive nature, we cant accept there is absolutely nothing unique in any form about us like every other region has. No unique foods or chains (except lutefisk, which we disown 11 months of the year except December), especially since Culver's has gone national. Maybe the passive-aggressiveness is our unique quality.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

"Uff da"  is used in North Dakota as well, at least based on what a client from Fargo told me.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 09:22:42 PM
"Uff da"  is used in North Dakota as well, at least based on what a client from Fargo told me.

Yep.. at least in spirit! I've found the Dakotas linguistically and culturally to be very similar to Minnesota.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.