News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What road feature does your state have that makes you unique?

Started by MaddogMicharski, July 22, 2021, 12:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I believe these are unique to Oregon, and they're being replaced more and more, though there's still a fair amount around.

tolbs17

^^

Would be kinda confusing to me tbh. It might say that the speed is 55 (like I'm saying the sign is just there). I like having limit cause it gets the driver's attention more.

hotdogPi

Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2021, 06:48:56 PM
The sheer numbers are unique to California. California has 28% of the US homeless population. Only NY comes close with 16%. More importantly, California has 51% of the unsheltered homeless. It reminded me of when I was in Afghanistan with all the refugees along the road in lean-to's leading into Kabul.

California probably has about 28% of the total US population who live in places where they can get around by just walking and public transit (this includes places where it's doable but not that convenient), so it doesn't seem unusual.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Washington, as of lately: Centered, full-width exit tabs. Apart from the Southwest Region.

Washington, Oregon, and Michigan: the only states to permit left on red arrows from two-way to one-way streets (3/50 is close!)

Also Washington: the only state to use these box-style monotube sign bridges (Oregon uses a similar design for partial-width sign bridges).

And another for Washington: the "one vehicle in median at a time" sign is not something I've seen anywhere else (waiting for a correction in 3...2...1...)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on July 22, 2021, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2021, 06:48:56 PM
The sheer numbers are unique to California. California has 28% of the US homeless population. Only NY comes close with 16%. More importantly, California has 51% of the unsheltered homeless. It reminded me of when I was in Afghanistan with all the refugees along the road in lean-to's leading into Kabul.

California probably has about 28% of the total US population who live in places where they can get around by just walking and public transit (this includes places where it's doable but not that convenient), so it doesn't seem unusual.

Part of the reason I think it is so common to see is that the homeless can be out in the open way more easily on the west coast than other parts of the county.  Hence why I mentioned what I've seen in Portland and Seattle, both cities also have largely temperate climates.  There was a ton of homeless when I lived in Chicago and Detroit also.  The difference was that they largely had to find somewhere to take cover during the colder months.  If you looked down enclosed alleys or derelict buildings they were pretty easy to find. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2021, 07:31:49 PM
And another for Washington: the "one vehicle in median at a time" sign is not something I've seen anywhere else (waiting for a correction in 3...2...1...)
Ohio uses yellow "Only One Car in Median" signs, which is the same idea, but not the same wording (and color). So you're good for now.

vdeane

There are a few things that, together, basically scream NY but which individually do exist in other states.  I'm thinking of rounded sign corners (FL), aligning the exit tab with the edge of the rounded part of the sign (SC), extensive use of box beam (WY), and little green reference markers (VT).

And, of course, the state/village/city/etc. speed limit signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 22, 2021, 06:32:59 PM
Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2021, 06:31:10 PM
California, especially Los Angeles - Thousands of homeless camped under practically every interstate viaduct in the city. We have a lot of homeless in Palm Springs, but it pales compared to LA.

Not unique to California unfortunately.

I was working a job in downtown OKC a couple of weeks ago, and the new OKC Boulevard overpass over Western/Classen has so many homeless people living under it that the nearby McDonald's has a uniformed security guard. That was something I'd never seen before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 22, 2021, 12:48:33 AM
Ohio: dancing arrows, whatever this bell-shaped freeway lighting pole is called, button copy (much less than even 3 years ago though), abnormal amount of US/state routes mixture, one of 6 states to have the clown of the interstate system: I-75.

I don't think I've seen another state besides Indiana that have service signs like this or place "WRONG WAY" signs behind exit gore signs.
Some more for Ohio that probably aren't 100% unique to the state, but I have seen very few other states do the same practice:
- Span wire signals that are placed a bit away from the pole
- Back to back BGS signage for freeway onramps on either an overhead gantry or the traffic signal pole.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 22, 2021, 07:41:49 PM
Ohio uses yellow "Only One Car in Median" signs, which is the same idea, but not the same wording (and color). So you're good for now.
What a stupid sign! Talk about stating the obvious. If you're dumb enough to pull behind a car waiting there and sit directly in front of traffic, the sign isn't going to stop you.

jakeroot

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 22, 2021, 10:54:44 PM
What a stupid sign! Talk about stating the obvious. If you're dumb enough to pull behind a car waiting there and sit directly in front of traffic, the sign isn't going to stop you.

I believe the idea is actually to discourage multiple cars from waiting side-by-side for gaps in traffic, as opposed to end-to-end.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 22, 2021, 12:34:45 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 12:11:03 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 22, 2021, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 22, 2021, 11:15:00 AM
-Having two lane rural highways with 75 mph speed limits (again, not alone, but on the shortlist).

What other state makes this list?  I'm not aware of any.
Texas is the only state in the United States with a speed limit higher than 70 mph on a two-lane road.
And the max in North Carolina is only 55mph. Well we are also  more urbanized and have more curvy roads.
Can't speak for other routes, but much of NC-11 could easily handle a Texas-style 70 mph speed limit.
How about NC-241?

And I'm sure US-70 between Cove City and New Bern can handle an 80 mph speed limit.
Can't speak for that route, never been on it. But I wouldn't be surprised.

As for US-70, seems accurate. That segment is fairly straight and fully limited access. Unfortunately, not even Texas posts above 75 mph on most freeways asides from those rural parts of I-10 west of San Antonio, I-20 west of Odessa, and the SH-130 / SH-45 system near Austin.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2021, 11:59:19 PM

I believe the idea is actually to discourage multiple cars from waiting side-by-side for gaps in traffic, as opposed to end-to-end.

Yeah, that's what I think too.  I'd consider pulling next to the waiting car in the GSV shot, if I were turning left there.  Might not do it, but I'd consider it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 09:31:17 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2021, 11:59:19 PM

Yeah, that's what I think too.  I'd consider pulling next to the waiting car in the GSV shot, if I were turning left there.  Might not do it, but I'd consider it.

Virginia has similarly-intended signs that say "No Double Stacking in Crossover" in a few spots. I don't know how common these are, as I've only seen them on US-50 in the South Riding area of Loudoun County, but the meaning is clear enough even if they make me think of a cheeseburger rather than traffic management.

In that particular example, it's even more important because there is only one lane after you turn left, so people double-stacking could cause conflict if they both tried to go at the same time (which I'd expect to happen, as why else would you double-stack?).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OCGuy81

Do other states use signs like Washington where the directional tab and the route number are on one piece of metal?

Mapmikey

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 23, 2021, 10:14:35 AM
Do other states use signs like Washington where the directional tab and the route number are on one piece of metal?

I believe Wisconsin uses it extensively.

Some VDOT districts in Virginia also use these unisigns regularly, mostly on trailblazers and not as much on reassurance markers.

Maryland has lots of trailblazer signs like this but not many reassurance markers.

Washington DC used to mark all its US routes as unisigns but I don't know if any remain - signage in general is quite lacking there now.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 23, 2021, 10:21:56 AM

Some VDOT districts in Virginia also use these unisigns regularly, mostly on trailblazers and not as much on reassurance markers.

Maryland has lots of trailblazer signs like this but not many reassurance markers.

Washington DC used to mark all its US routes as unisigns but I don't know if any remain - signage in general is quite lacking there now.

There's at least one outside the Brewmaster's Castle on New Hampshire Avenue NW. For a unisign, I think this one looks reasonably good, but of course it bears noting that this road is not part of US-29 and neither is the road up ahead at Dupont Circle.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 23, 2021, 09:38:04 AM
In that particular example, it's even more important because there is only one lane after you turn left, so people double-stacking could cause conflict if they both tried to go at the same time (which I'd expect to happen, as why else would you double-stack?).

To take advantage of the gap you found in near-side traffic, allowing you to only have to wait for the next gap in far-side traffic.

But that's assuming one is turning onto the divided highway, not turning off of it.  It appears both of the examples provided up-thread were of the former, while your Virginia example is the latter.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 23, 2021, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 23, 2021, 10:21:56 AM

There's at least one outside the Brewmaster's Castle on New Hampshire Avenue NW. For a unisign, I think this one looks reasonably good, but of course it bears noting that this road is not part of US-29 and neither is the road up ahead at Dupont Circle.

That looks really nice.  I'm a fan of the unisign, personally, and would like to see more states using it.

andrepoiy

Ontario:

1) Unique signs
2) A disconnected/useless provincial highway network
3) Open/airy design to freeways
4) Lots of high-mast lighting

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 12:56:45 PM
A blatant disregard for basic principles of graphic design
like proper centering and alignment.

While not at Oklahoma's level, Oregon does this a fair bit.

vdeane

Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2021, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 12:56:45 PM
A blatant disregard for basic principles of graphic design
like proper centering and alignment.

While not at Oklahoma's level, Oregon does this a fair bit.

Looks like those are consistent and to illustrate which items would be on one line, but aren't to reduce the width of the signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

^^^
The issue I have is that rarely is there not enough room to have the message be entirely horizontal. Even on the sign above, "Univ. of Oregon" and "Glenwood Blvd." could be on one line easily, and all four messages could be horizontal with just a bit more width.

Having them on separate lines has made the signs taller, wasting space. Never mind all the extra green space on the left and right edges.

wanderer2575

Not the norm in Michigan, but there are some occurrences.  For example.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.