Started by Pete from Boston, December 05, 2014, 11:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mgk920 on December 06, 2014, 12:03:53 AM
A few others not yet mentioned:

-I-95 in New Hampshire.

First one on the list!

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 05, 2014, 11:59:56 AM
The "barely serve their state" thread got me to thinking, I-95 in New Hampshire passes through without connecting to the "Interstate network" in the state, even though there are several other Interstates in the state (all of which are connected). 

I-99, to my thinking, connects to the network.  I realize that hair-splitting is at the core of any obsessive interest, but I guess I meant roads that have no direct or indirect interchange with another Interstate route.  76, for example, has an exit specifically signed for 99, and the roads actually cross.  For most people's purposes, they connect. 

signalman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 06, 2014, 01:08:09 AM
I-99, to my thinking, connects to the network.  I realize that hair-splitting is at the core of any obsessive interest, but I guess I meant roads that have no direct or indirect interchange with another Interstate route.  76, for example, has an exit specifically signed for 99, and the roads actually cross.  For most people's purposes, they connect. 
I agree.  Pennsylvania is loaded with Breezwood type connections.  I-99 isn't unique in this regard.  If one is going to single out I-99, they might as well say that almost all of PA's interstates aren't connected.  I would say that I-99 connects to I-70/76; albeit indirectly.  I'd even go so far as to say that it connects to I-80.  The two lane segment of US 220 between its current northern terminus and I-80 isn't that far. 

robbones

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Grzrd

A close call that depends on whether the OP's definition of "interstate network" is restricted to, in kurumi's terminology, "proper" interstates, or is expansive enough to include business routes, is I-585 in South Carolina.

Zeffy

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 06, 2014, 12:41:26 AM
As i said in the post before yours, it is a breezewood situation for now.

Wow, we were :05 milliseconds apart. I posted and the "new reply warning" didn't even pop up so I didn't actually see that you posted (I got off after posting).

And yeah, I know that I-99 has a Breezewood going on currently, but Pete from Boston pretty much echoed my feelings on the subject:
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 06, 2014, 01:08:09 AM

Yeah, it's a bit wonky you have to use US 220 Business to get to the Turnpike, but it's a short enough distance that I'd qualify it as, at the least an "indirect connection".
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

The PA Turnpike (I-76) and I-99 do NOT cross. I-99 ends at the exit to old US 220, just north of the turnpike. The road that crosses the turnpike is only US 220.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2014, 09:57:03 PM
The PA Turnpike (I-76) and I-99 do NOT cross. I-99 ends at the exit to old US 220, just north of the turnpike. The road that crosses the turnpike is only US 220.
I-99 ends at the interchange that connects to I-76. Who cares where the inventoried end is?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2014, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2014, 09:57:03 PM
I-99 ends at the interchange that connects to I-76. Who cares where the inventoried end is?

Yeah, I wasn't talking about technicalities, but rather clear examples (again, think I-95 in NH).  But whatever, I've taken as many thread liberties as anyone, so carry on. 

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 05, 2014, 11:59:56 AM
The "barely serve their state" thread got me to thinking, I-95 in New Hampshire passes through without connecting to the "Interstate network" in the state, even though there are several other in the state (all of which are connected). 

For one thing, while technically true about not connecting to other interstates, I-95 connects with NH-101 and the Spaulding Turnpike - each of which is a major highway within the state connecting the Merrimack Valley and Lakes Region (respectively) to the NH Seacoast.  And 101 connects I-93 and I-95, so it's not as if either one is truly 'isolated'.

As for that original thread, I'll post this there, but I'll add it here: I-95 absolutely serves New Hampshire, pretty much anyone who has ever lived in NH has driven on it multiple times and it's one of the busiest roads in the state. Heck, the New Hampshire Liquor Store on I-95 is the busiest such outlet in the state!  Much like I-95 in Delaware, I wouldn't count it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.