News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The National Women's Soccer League has begun their reopening tournament in Salt Lake City and got 572,000 viewers on CBS (their first OTA broadcast ever). Really good start for them, even if the Orlando Pride had to withdraw. Several prominent players are also not playing due to their own health concerns.

Major League Soccer returns next week from Orlando, where cases haven't gone down. Things aren't looking rosy there.

SEWIGuy

College football season in jeopardy again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...id/5352371002/

"Pervasive optimism that the college football season would start and finish on time has given way to nervousness as programs continue to see players with COVID-19 infections during voluntary workouts and multiple states have either slowed down or reversed some aspects of their reopening plans due to spiking case numbers. The idea of delaying college football to the spring, which was dismissed as a last resort a few months ago, is being revived in some corners as a legitimate option to buy time and give programs more tools to manage a situation that many administrators privately admit is unwieldy and uncertain. Meanwhile, some FBS conferences are actively engaged with banks on opening up lines of credit to guard against lost revenue, a key acknowledgment that schools fear a potential revenue wipeout this fall."

Big John

Quote from: Bruce on June 30, 2020, 11:07:12 PM
Major League Soccer returns next week from Orlando, where cases haven't gone down. Things aren't looking rosy there.
And the NBA is also planning on playing in Orlando.

mgk920

Chatter that I was seeing from the NFL over the past few days has the NFL, assuming that they start up on time, possibly doing a 'fans in the stands' thing with the closest to the field rows of seats in the various stadia being tarped off.  That would include the first 6-8 rows of seats in Green Bay.  In addition to that being about a $7.5M financial hit for the Packers for the season in reduced gate revenue, it would directly affect *ME* - my family has a season ticket subscription with them for two seats in row 01 in the south end zone.

:banghead:

:verymad: Karens!

Mike

NWI_Irish96

The Indy 500, rescheduled for August 23, is going to limit capacity to 50%, with anybody getting 1-2 tickets guaranteed their full number of tickets, and anybody getting 3+ guaranteed at least half. My wife and I have been going for several years now and for the first year added a second pair of tickets to invite another couple to go with us. Thankfully we hadn't yet invited anybody yet, so it will just be the two of us again. Probably will not arrive as early as usual, and limit the moving around to 1 or 2 bathroom trips.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on July 02, 2020, 06:38:32 PM
Chatter that I was seeing from the NFL over the past few days has the NFL, assuming that they start up on time, possibly doing a 'fans in the stands' thing with the closest to the field rows of seats in the various stadia being tarped off.  That would include the first 6-8 rows of seats in Green Bay.  In addition to that being about a $7.5M financial hit for the Packers for the season in reduced gate revenue, it would directly affect *ME* - my family has a season ticket subscription with them for two seats in row 01 in the south end zone.

Mike
Not Karens. Just good practice in general to distance fans from teams.

SEWIGuy

Mike

At the rate things are going, I think the best we can hope for is games without any fans.  Maybe stadiums that are 25% full, but IMO even that is doubtful.

GaryV

Chatter that I was seeing from the NFL over the past few days has the NFL, assuming that they start up on time, possibly doing a 'fans in the stands' thing with the closest to the field rows of seats in the various stadia being tarped off.  That would include the first 6-8 rows of seats in Green Bay. 

So they're going to protect the players from the fans by moving them away from the field.  What are they going to do to protect the fans from each other?

ftballfan

Quote from: GaryV on July 03, 2020, 08:58:00 AM
Chatter that I was seeing from the NFL over the past few days has the NFL, assuming that they start up on time, possibly doing a 'fans in the stands' thing with the closest to the field rows of seats in the various stadia being tarped off.  That would include the first 6-8 rows of seats in Green Bay. 

So they're going to protect the players from the fans by moving them away from the field.  What are they going to do to protect the fans from each other?

Require the wearing of masks or other face coverings for fans, especially in common areas?

Alps

People who return to crowded situations without even being done with the first wave of illness don't deserve protection.

mgk920

Well, seeing as that of those who go to NFL games, somewhere in 1:(a few hundred) will likely be dead before the next season starts and about 1.25% or so of all USAians who are alive when the season starts will likely be dead by the time that the following season starts (normal actuarial tables), and the overall mortality rate of those who get the virus is less than 0.25%, I'd be more worried about just driving to and from the games on I-41.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2020, 01:09:18 PM
Well, seeing as that of those who go to NFL games, somewhere in 1:(a few hundred) will likely be dead before the next season starts and about 1.25% or so of all USAians who are alive when the season starts will likely be dead by the time that the following season starts (normal actuarial tables), and the overall mortality rate of those who get the virus is less than 0.25%, I'd be more worried about just driving to and from the games on I-41.

Mike

When you drive to the game you understand the risk. That risk is yours and those who also chose to travel.

Much different than possibly carrying a deadly disease during a pandemic that infects someone who didn't make such a choice.

Honestly can't imagine how people can watch what's going on and even question this stuff right now.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2020, 10:39:47 AM

People who return to crowded situations without even being done with the first wave of illness don't deserve protection.

So you're not willing to buy my Bengals-Eagles tickets three rows from the top for 4x face value?

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 03, 2020, 02:30:02 PM
Much different than possibly carrying a deadly disease during a pandemic that infects someone who didn't make such a choice.

Aren't all diseases potentially deadly?

I'm not saying don't take precautions. I'm just saying don't pretend this one is deadly but other diseases aren't.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 03, 2020, 02:42:37 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2020, 10:39:47 AM

So you're not willing to buy my Bengals-Eagles tickets three rows from the top for 4x face value?

Aren't all diseases potentially deadly?

I'm not saying don't take precautions. I'm just saying don't pretend this one is deadly but other diseases aren't.

This one is significantly more deadly than the common cold or the flu.  And you shouldn't be going to a football game, or really anywhere, if you have the flu.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mgk920

Mike

When you drive to the game you understand the risk. That risk is yours and those who also chose to travel.

You mean that there are people in the stadium who did not make a conscience decision to enter the stadium?

Honestly can't imagine how people can watch what's going on and even question this stuff right now.

Did you read my reply above?

Mike

hotdogPi

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2020, 07:37:17 PM

Mike

You mean that there are people in the stadium who did not make a conscience decision to enter the stadium?

What if I'm at a restaurant or grocery store sitting or standing close to this person who went to the game?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on July 03, 2020, 07:57:33 PM

Mike

What if I'm at a restaurant or grocery store sitting or standing close to this person who went to the game?

Well, seeing as you say that you are 21YO, you might 'catch' the virus, but your likelihood of dying from it are about as close to zero as you can get.  You have a better chance of getting seriously ill from a common cold than you are from that.

Mike

kevinb1994

webny99

Some fans at games isn't necessarily out of the question, but filling up stadiums up to capacity shouldn't be happening until there's a COVID vaccine.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on July 03, 2020, 11:56:04 PM
Some fans at games isn't necessarily out of the question, but filling up stadiums up to capacity shouldn't be happening until there's a COVID vaccine.
The Green Bay Packers plan to have some fans at games.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2020, 08:25:10 PM

Mike

Well, seeing as you say that you are 21YO, you might 'catch' the virus, but your likelihood of dying from it are about as close to zero as you can get.  You have a better chance of getting seriously ill from a common cold than you are from that.

Mike
Very, very false. Healthy people are getting the disease too. You're just showing ignorance of the health risks right now, stop while you're behind.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2020, 08:25:10 PM

Mike

Mike

No but you can spread it.  Which is exactly what is happening in Florida and Texas.  Pay attention.

SEWIGuy

Mike

Did you read my reply above?

Mike

Nope.  You missed the point.  Going to a crowded football game in a pandemic will allow the disease to spread to poeple at the game, WHO IN TURN will spread it to others who didn't make that choice.

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 04, 2020, 12:02:31 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 03, 2020, 11:56:04 PM
The Green Bay Packers plan to have some fans at games.
For those late-season games with below-zero wind chill, most fans wouldn't mind wearing face masks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.