News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Missouri Expressways

Started by Sykotyk, May 11, 2009, 10:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

So how far W. do they plan on upgrading US 36 to interstate standards? I make occasional trips to Indianapolis to visit relatives, and while I currently use I-80 and I-74, I've always considered taking US 36 across Missouri to I-72 and then connecting up with I-74 at Champaign as an alternative which is actually a bit shorter in mileage. I've never done it before though primarily because of the 2-lane portion between Macon and W. of Hannibal, which having traveled on it before on a different trip I noticed really slows you down and at least at the time was heavily patrolled for speeders. A mostly interstate grade US 36 or even raising the current 2 lane portion to expressway status would make it a much more viable route for the connection I described.

froggie

QuoteA mostly interstate grade US 36 or even raising the current 2 lane portion to expressway status would make it a much more viable route for the connection I described.

The latter (a 4-lane expressway) is the plan that is currently being implemented.  It should be close to done between Hannibal and Macon, if not done already.

lamsalfl

I know this is a Missouri thread, but Kansas was mentioned here.  Also, my question is ties into US 60 corridor in MO.  But what is the viability of an interstate from Wichita to Springfield, MO?  I know this was part of the I-66 corridor, but was the section EAST of Wichita cut because of funding or not much need? 

Revive 755

Quote from: lamsalfl on May 18, 2010, 09:49:08 PM
I know this is a Missouri thread, but Kansas was mentioned here.  Also, my question is ties into US 60 corridor in MO.  But what is the viability of an interstate from Wichita to Springfield, MO?  I know this was part of the I-66 corridor, but was the section EAST of Wichita cut because of funding or not much need? 

IMHO, a Joplin-Wichita route would be much more likely, especially with MoDOT trying to focus on existing corridors and I-44 nearby.  Though by the time such a route could be constructed, I-44 might be needing a relief route.

In regards to further upgrades for the US 36 corridor, the only ones I foresee somewhat soon (within 25 years) are a redesign around Cameron to eliminate the light there, upgrading the eastern US 24 interchange to a cloverleaf when the Hannibal Bypass is constructed, and maybe one or two interchanges for any intersection that becomes a high accident location.

Sykotyk

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 18, 2010, 02:27:27 AM
So by that, I guess we could assume that they do plan on signing I-72 all the way to I-35? If they are going to take it that far, why wouldn't they just stretch it to I-29, or actually maybe I-229 tying in with the existing US 36 freeway in St. Joseph? Or do they not plan on upgrading US 36 to interstate standards W. of I-35?

There's traffic signals at the I-229 interchange on US-36. Plus, US36 is a very windy stretch of road through St. Joseph.

The issue, though, is that I-72/US36 is a great Indianapolis and points east to Omaha/Lincoln and points west shortcut route. It would make sense to at least complete it to the I-29 cloverleaf. The biggest issue is closing off grade seperation (there is no driveway access on any of the road now) to all the various small dirt and county roads. Also, the interchange at Cameron would have to be bypassed (a la US35 bypassing around the old I-71 interchange in Ohio).

Kansas has already built mostly a freeway from the MO state line until that first big town. Then there's the Super-2 with the second carriageway sitting idle until you reach the Wal-Mart.

As for US36, the two-lane stretch has got to be done. Last time I went through there, both carriageways were open, yet one-lane each way on each carriageway. Not sure the reason why (they hadn't repainted lines, so there was a double-yellow).

Sykotyk

froggie

QuoteKansas has already built mostly a freeway from the MO state line until that first big town. Then there's the Super-2 with the second carriageway sitting idle until you reach the Wal-Mart.

A bypass of Wathena (only 5 miles from the MO line) is needed...US 36 still goes through the middle of town.  Beyond that, you don't get to a Super-2 section of US 36 until you hit the outskirts of Troy (8 miles beyond Wathena).

ShawnP

Traveled 36 last year and it would require some major work around St. Jo and yes Wathea to go up to Freeway standars. East of St. Jo it's easier to upgrade.

bugo

Quote from: lamsalfl on May 18, 2010, 03:37:39 AM
I don't understand why we can't have I-49 signage in Missouri or I-22 signage for the completed portions, yet I-69 can be signed for 30 miles in Mississippi (including the I-55 multiplex to the state line).  Start promoting I-49 and I-22 now so that map companies can get on board since they are usually slow... create national awareness for truckers... etc. 

What about rest areas?  Why aren't these being built along desolate stretches anymore?  I know about the closing of rest areas, but some areas that are very desolate need them.  I hate to see vestiges of an interstate continue to not be included in the future.  Still don't see a welcome center on US 71 around the state line...

Another benefit to going ahead and signing the completed portions as I-49 and the expressway portions as either TO I-49 or FUTURE I-49 is exit numbers.  The exit numbers for I-540 will have to be changed when I-49 is signed.  Why not go ahead and get the signing of the highway out of the way so everyone can get used to the new designation and the new exit numbers?  I can't remember if Missouri even uses exit numbers on US 71.  It seems like they don't.

bugo

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 19, 2010, 12:31:44 AM

There's traffic signals at the I-229 interchange on US-36. Plus, US36 is a very windy stretch of road through St. Joseph.

If US 36 through St Joseph were designated an interstate it would be a contender for worst stretch of Interstate in America.  I think the speed limit is something like 40.

Bickendan

Quote from: bugo on May 20, 2010, 03:11:27 AM
I can't remember if Missouri even uses exit numbers on US 71.  It seems like they don't.
They don't.

golden eagle

I know this may be a little off-topic, but why do Missouri use letters for highways? Also, are they state or county-maintained?

bugo

Quote from: golden eagle on May 23, 2010, 02:18:00 PM
I know this may be a little off-topic, but why do Missouri use letters for highways? Also, are they state or county-maintained?

They are state maintained.  Missouri has one of the largest state highway systems in the country.

omenapt

July 10th is the ribbon cutting and celebration of US 36 four-laning completion in N.E. MIssouri(due to heavy rains, about ten miles wont open until the end of the month)!  the modot website has details!

Revive 755

A new part of the relocated northbound lanes for the MO 13 expressway will open in early July:
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/96873894.html

I don't agree with MoDOT's position in the editor's note.  MoDOT should reject 70 mph limits for expressway in the future based on study instead of applying a blanket 65 mph limit.  There are definitely other expressway sections that warrant 70 over 65, such as a large part of US 61 north of US 24.

US71

Quote from: golden eagle on May 23, 2010, 02:18:00 PM

They are a state maintained Secondary system, not unlike Texas Farm Roads.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bryant5493

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 22, 2010, 07:43:13 PM
A new part of the relocated northbound lanes for the MO 13 expressway will open in early July:
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/96873894.html

I don't agree with MoDOT's position in the editor's note.  MoDOT should reject 70 mph limits for expressway in the future based on study instead of applying a blanket 65 mph limit.  There are definitely other expressway sections that warrant 70 over 65, such as a large part of US 61 north of US 24.

I agree with that, placing a blanket speed limit is never a good deal. Metro Atlanta's done the same: I-285 should be signed at 65, as well as the other Interstates inside of I-285. The Downtown Connector and GA-166/Langford Pkwy. should be signed at 60, though.

Be well,

Bryant

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

US71

Quote from: Bryant5493 on July 06, 2010, 12:51:15 PM
I agree with that, placing a blanket speed limit is never a good deal. Metro Atlanta's done the same: I-285 should be signed at 65, as well as the other Interstates inside of I-285. The Downtown Connector and GA-166/Langford Pkwy. should be signed at 60, though.

I-540 around Fayetteville, AR is 65; Fayetteville to Alma is 70 mph. BUT there is a 2 mile stretch from near Exit 66 to just past Exit 67 that is 60 mph due to too many accidents in that section.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2010, 03:31:34 PM
I-540 around Fayetteville, AR is 65; Fayetteville to Alma is 70 mph. BUT there is a 2 mile stretch from near Exit 66 to just past Exit 67 that is 60 mph due to too many accidents in that section.

Is the area around the "US 71BS" interchange that connects the northern segment of I-540 to the old Fayetteville bypass?  If so the big curves there are probably the reason for the lower speed limit.  Another thing I don't like about that interchange is that the rightmost lane turns into an exit only lane for AR 112.  

Of course, I think the entire stretch of 540 should be signed at 75 MPH.  80-85 wouldn't be dangerous on the section south of Fayetteville.

bugo

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 19, 2010, 12:23:05 AM
IMHO, a Joplin-Wichita route would be much more likely, especially with MoDOT trying to focus on existing corridors and I-44 nearby.  Though by the time such a route could be constructed, I-44 might be needing a relief route.

There was talk about 10-15 years ago about a "diagonal" US 400 route across southeastern Kansas.  The Baxter Springs bypass was going to be part of this route.  What is the status on this proposed highway?  Last I heard, it was in limbo and might not be built at all.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 06, 2010, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2010, 03:31:34 PM

Is the area around the "US 71BS" interchange that connects the northern segment of I-540 to the old Fayetteville bypass?  If so the big curves there are probably the reason for the lower speed limit.  Another thing I don't like about that interchange is that the rightmost lane turns into an exit only lane for AR 112. 

Of course, I think the entire stretch of 540 should be signed at 75 MPH.  80-85 wouldn't be dangerous on the section south of Fayetteville.

Yes, near "71 BS"*.  As far as SB 540 at 112, you'll note a couple years ago, AHTD finally put up a couple signs saying "Right Lane must Exit"... I think after someone complained to Gridlock Guru. It helped some, but there still needs to a sign where "71 BS" exits SB 540 indicating the lane ends.

I think the overall interchange was poorly designed. I could cite numerous examples, but I'd be here all day.

*71BS: a Spur of Business US 71  between I-540 and Business US 71/old US 71. Also used to indicate AHTD is full of BS when it comes to numbering or designing highways

shoptb1

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2010, 06:49:10 PM

I think the overall interchange was poorly designed. I could cite numerous examples, but I'd be here all day.

Speaking of poorly designed interchanges...I was driving back from Youngstown yesterday, and going through the I-76/US-224 and I-71 interchange near Lodi...it's impossible not to think..."WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?"  This interchange has finally been reconfigured (albeit in a quite complicated manner).  Anybody know why this was done?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=medina,+oh&sll=39.611177,-80.940142&sspn=0.031739,0.077162&g=lodi&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Medina,+Ohio&ll=41.029287,-81.897283&spn=0.00777,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Revive 755

Ribbon cutting for US 50's California bypass and expressway section east of that town is scheduled for July 19; the road will open to all traffic on the 20th:
http://www.modot.gov/central/news_and_information/District5News.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=56880

Revive 755

Turns out MoDOT has already done a Final Environmental impact statement for US 50 from the end of the freeway west of Jefferson City to just west of Sedalia - found both the DEIS and FEIS in the Northwestern Transporation Library.   There were three alternatives for a Sedalia Bypass considered, and all of them involved mutliplexing the US 50 bypass with a US 65 bypass - all of them kind of resemble the I-70/I-470 loop around Topeka, Kansas, minus one quarter.  The preferred alignment for the Sedalia bypasses appeared to be a western US 65 bypass combined with a northern US 50 bypass.  From south to north on the US 65 bypass interchanges would be at (exact type is estimated since the maps I saw only showed general ROW needed):

* US 65 - Half semi direct T with the bypass exiting existing US 65.

* 3/4 diamond at Route B, with the NB exit missing.

* Half diamond at 32nd Street Road (only NB exit, SB entrance)

* Appears to be a 3/4 diamond at Route Y - this one looks kind off odd with the NW and NE quadrants being squared off.

* Some large interchange at US 50, SE and NE quadrants appear to be diamond type ramps.

* Full diamond at Cherry Tree Lane.

* Large interchange at US 65, appears to be a cloverleaf or similar interchange with the two main routes being the bypass and present US 65 (US 65 must exit the bypass).  This interchange would also encompass the existing US 65 - MO 765 interchange - I'm guessing the latter would be converted to an at grade intersection, being just south of the bypass mainline.

mightyace

Quote from: shoptb1 on July 06, 2010, 08:06:59 PM
Speaking of poorly designed interchanges...I was driving back from Youngstown yesterday, and going through the I-76/US-224 and I-71 interchange near Lodi...it's impossible not to think..."WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?"  This interchange has finally been reconfigured (albeit in a quite complicated manner).  Anybody know why this was done?

I've seen this develop over the last few years as well.  It looks like they've left the original double trumpet in place and simply added ramps for the two most popular movements (from I-76/US 224 W to I-71S, and I-71N to I-76/US 224E) and the  I-76/US 224 W to I-71N movement which is a pain in the butt otherwise so that the people from Wadsworth commute to Cleveland easier now.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Revive 755

Quote from: omenapt on June 21, 2010, 10:58:17 AM
July 10th is the ribbon cutting and celebration of US 36 four-laning completion in N.E. MIssouri(due to heavy rains, about ten miles wont open until the end of the month)!  the modot website has details!

As of today, there are at least 15 miles still not open for four lane traffic - I think some of US 36 has actually reverted back to two lanes for repaving the old lanes - and the MoDOT website has a completion date of September.  IMHO that ribbon cutting should have been delayed by two months.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.