News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rear window stickers

Started by 1995hoo, April 27, 2012, 05:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I may have to get me one of these. This is outstanding:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

xcellntbuy

Duke87

Then there's xkcd's take on the matter...

Personally, I think it's a stupid fad. Then again, I think all fads are stupid.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

realjd

I like the stick figure families. It's a good indicator of which cars are going to drive slowly and need passing.

triplemultiplex

I want a sticker that says:

Your Politics:
Nobody Cares.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DaBigE

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 29, 2012, 01:47:50 PM
I want a sticker that says:

Your Politics:
Nobody Cares.

I'll second that request.  Then again, Hell will freeze over before I put any kind of bumper sticker on my car.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

hbelkins

Quote from: DaBigE on April 29, 2012, 02:59:59 PM
I'll second that request.  Then again, Hell will freeze over before I put any kind of bumper sticker on my car.

Why's that?

I keep University of Kentucky and Dale Earnhardt stickers on my vehicles, plus various stickers showing my support for various political candidates. I also have a Cape May-Lewes Ferry sticker on my Vue that commemorates the first roadtrip I took in that vehicle. I also have a 2012 National Champions sticker I need to put on it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

^ Some people are just picky about spoiling the look of their car.

I've also had relatives of both major political parties sport bumper stickers (with their respective allegiances), in which both suffered unwarranted scraping of their cars' paint and destruction of their decals. As you might guess, my holidays sometimes get a bit heated until a relative does something stupid enough to distract their bickering.

I highly doubt a voter is going to be swayed by a bumper sticker; one could make a case if that's how they make their decisions, they're probably not a good representative of a political party, but that of a political machine.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2012, 04:49:52 PM
Why's that?

Quote from: formulanone on April 29, 2012, 05:21:03 PM
^ Some people are just picky about spoiling the look of their car.

I've also had relatives of both major political parties sport bumper stickers (with their respective allegiances), in which both suffered unwarranted scraping of their cars' paint and destruction of their decals. As you might guess, my holidays sometimes get a bit heated until a relative does something stupid enough to distract their bickering.

I highly doubt a voter is going to be swayed by a bumper sticker; one could make a case if that's how they make their decisions, they're probably not a good representative of a political party, but that of a political machine.

formulaone pretty-much sums it up.  IMO, bumper stickers cheapen the look of a car; I'm not a rolling billboard.  I don't care about other drivers' beliefs/politics, why would anyone care about mine?  As mentioned in another thread, I also don't have any dealer stickers or plate frames either (unless they're willing to pay me for advertising).

Political support stickers are an endless cycle of application and removal (seeing outdated campaign bumper stickers is one of my pet peeves).  Not to mention, they ruin the paint after a while--not the greatest for resale.  All I have are a couple discrete, easily removable university window stickers, in addition to a required state park permit.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Duke87

My reason for refusing to put bumper stickers on my car is threefold.
One, because it goes against my personality to decorate things. I prefer to leave them plain. I don't like frills. It just doesn't seem right to me.
Two, because I find them obnoxious. No matter what statement you're looking to make with your stupid sticker, I don't care, and I don't presume anyone else cares about any statement I might want to make.
Three, because when I'm in public I consider it in my best interest to not in any way stand out if I can avoid it. Drawing attention to myself inevitably means drawing unwanted attention to myself. Hence, it is better that there not be anything special or unordinary about my car. Cops may be more likely to pull me over if they see I have bumper stickers. Someone who takes offense at something a sticker I have says may see fit to vandalize my car on account of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SP Cook

My take on bumper stickers:

Political stickers during an election season, OK.  Permanent political stickers, generally indicate mental disturbance.

Environmental stickers (around here "I [heart] mountains"), why not just get one that says "I'm a hypocrite".

Religous stickers, of either the Bible thumper "get saved" or the Bible ignoring "get along" variety, people you don't want to talk to, generally nuts.

College logos, etc.  OK, if you are a student, alumni, or parent.  Most people with them are none of the above.  Same goes for military stickers.

Stick figure families.  Yes, tell the outlaws and sexpreditorpsychos the exact composition of your family.  Dumba**.

"Gay" stickers (the gold equal sign on a blue square, or a pink triangle).  Yes tell the randomtaxer traffic cop scum your SO.  Maybe he won't be so random.  Dumba**.

Weird trend around here.  People cover the back window with "In memory of whoever" with born and died dates etc.  Generally not great cars, like you might dedicate a 66 Mustang to some buddy who helped you restore it, but just ordinary daily driver cars.  Like your car is a memorial.  Odd.

1995hoo

I have occasionally taped a bumper sticker to the inside of my rear window using scotch tape, most recently last fall when a friend was running for state senate. I would never put a political bumper sticker on the outside of the car for precisely the reason others have mentioned about messing up the paint with something that will be outdated very quickly. I don't put any other stickers on the outside either, though I can envision a scenario where if I were required to put a parking sticker in a specific spot and I had absolutely no choice I would do so. But that's a very limited situation.

When I was in college I had the typical rear-window sticker everyone has, though I wondered why they don't make those things as static stickers for easier removal (so that you can replace the thing when it fades without messing up the rear defroster wires). The car I drove at the time succumbed to undercarriage rust the summer after I graduated and I've never put the rear-window stickers on any of my subsequent cars. My current primary car has no sticker other than the state inspection sticker on the windshield (can't do much about that); my other car has a few rotting stickers on the rear bumper from the previous owner (who is now my wife).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 30, 2012, 06:20:57 AM
Environmental stickers (around here "I [heart] mountains"), why not just get one that says "I'm a hypocrite".

Lots of "Friends of Coal" around here. I'd say you see a fair number of those too.

Weird trend around here.  People cover the back window with "In memory of whoever" with born and died dates etc.  Generally not great cars, like you might dedicate a 66 Mustang to some buddy who helped you restore it, but just ordinary daily driver cars.  Like your car is a memorial.  Odd.

Same here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Our car has a Mary Kay bumper sticker on the rear window.  My wife used to sell Mary Kay, but does so no longer.  It's now brittle and flakes off around the edges; man, I wish I could just peel it off.  I also get my fair share of flak at work for driving a minivan with a Mary Kay bumper sticker.  I work for a cable company, so it's mainly young, arrogant, single guys.

But we did, one time have a lady shout to us from her car at a McDonald's drive through if we sold Mary Kay.  Our car also has a dealership sticker from Mount Vernon, IL, and she lived in Mount Vernon and was looking for a Mary Kay consultant.  Unfortunately, we lived too far from Mount Vernon at the time for her liking.

I like having three (soon to be four) Mexican import sticker residues on my windshield.  I feel like I belong to a secret club that only Mexicans know about.  I can be sitting in a parking lot, see the same residue on someone else's car, and know that they travel to México; when they come out, I can ask them in Spanish where they've driven to.  Maybe we need a secret handshake, too.  :sombrero:

I'm a Christian, and I like Christian bumper stickers.  But I also like bumper stickers that make fun of Christian bumper stickers.  My two favorite Jesus-type bumper stickers:
(Serious) If you think you're perfect, try walking on water.
(Poking fun) I found Jesus/He was behind the sofa the whole time.

I'm not sure what to make of the 'In Loving Memory of...' rear window stickers.  On the one hand, I like the memorial idea.  On the other hand, am I expected to feel bad whenever I see it?  Mixed feelings...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2012, 09:26:54 AM

Lots of "Friends of Coal" around here. I'd say you see a fair number of those too.

How dare you compare the evil environmentalists to the heroic coal mine owners?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

The ones I see around here that usually equate to annoying drivers is "Salt Life", usually placed on the back windshield.

agentsteel53

"Gay" stickers (the gold equal sign on a blue square, or a pink triangle).  Yes tell the randomtaxer traffic cop scum your SO.  Maybe he won't be so random.  Dumba**.

wait... what? 

I generally am not a bumper sticker person, but if I were to pick one, it would be the little equal sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Alex on April 30, 2012, 10:37:03 AM
The ones I see around here that usually equate to annoying drivers is "Salt Life", usually placed on the back windshield.

I have never seen such a thing.  must be local to the FL panhandle?  what does it mean?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on April 30, 2012, 11:26:20 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Salt%20Life

never seen one, and I live in a pretty surfer-heavy part of the world.  seen plenty of other surfer/diver/etc stickers around here, but never a "salt life".

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 30, 2012, 11:25:36 AM

I have never seen such a thing.  must be local to the FL panhandle?  what does it mean?

It's common around here on the east coast also. I haven't noticed any correlation around here to Salt Life stickers and bad drivers. Here we typically look for stick figure families and various Christian radio station stickers.

formulanone

I've seen Mud Life too...so why haven't we collectively created PAVEMENT LIFE?

US71

I have an AAA sticker, a US 71 sticker, and an SCA sticker on my rear window ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on April 30, 2012, 01:19:02 PM
I've seen Mud Life too...so why haven't we collectively created PAVEMENT LIFE?

How about ROAD LIFE?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SSOWorld

*Waits for definition link from NE2*
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.