Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on September 24, 2014, 09:58:31 AM
Does anyone else see a gray line next to this view of the Calhoun Street Bridge in Trenton? There's nothing there on that side, I thought it was a pedestrian crossing, but it's literally nothing.

Also, it appears ramps that lead directly to tolls of some sort (I.E. no exits before it) are outlined to draw more attention as well.

I see the grey line. Looking at Street View, it appears there is a pedestrian path on the bridge itself, so the line probably denotes that. It looks like the standard thing they use to show bike paths and the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 24, 2014, 12:16:27 PM
Does anyone else see a gray line next to this view of the Calhoun Street Bridge in Trenton? There's nothing there on that side, I thought it was a pedestrian crossing, but it's literally nothing.

Also, it appears ramps that lead directly to tolls of some sort (I.E. no exits before it) are outlined to draw more attention as well.

I see the grey line. Looking at Street View, it appears there is a pedestrian path on the bridge itself, so the line probably denotes that. It looks like the standard thing they use to show bike paths and the like.

The next bridge south is the Trenton Makes bridge, which also has a pedestrian walkway, but Google Maps does not show a gray line there.

vdeane

The best way to avoid having street view to go to the wrong road is to zoom in really close before dragging pegman.

I can see why they made that change.  Most people are using street view to find homes and businesses, not to gawk at guide signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2014, 12:20:25 PM
The next bridge south is the Trenton Makes bridge, which also has a pedestrian walkway, but Google Maps does not show a gray line there.

I noticed that as well. I don't get it. On the Calhoun Street bridge, the walkway is a bit too far off the bridge (so it looks like the walkway is a separate entity), and on the Trenton Makes bridge... there's nothing. Also, I despise how thick the lines are in general now.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bruce

The new outlines on freeways is a bit inconsistent:

Zeffy

Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2014, 01:03:42 PM
The best way to avoid having street view to go to the wrong road is to zoom in really close before dragging pegman.

I just click on the highway, and no matter how zoomed in I am I'm usually teleported to a side street at least a few miles away from where I wanted to be.
Quote from: Bruce on September 24, 2014, 03:29:49 PM
The new outlines on freeways is a bit inconsistent

Yeah, I know. I don't like this "update" at ALL. It looks a lot more sloppy compared to what they had before.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Quote from: Zeffy on September 24, 2014, 03:51:53 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2014, 01:03:42 PM

I just click on the highway, and no matter how zoomed in I am I'm usually teleported to a side street at least a few miles away from where I wanted to be.
Have you tried dragging pegman instead of clicking?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: Bruce on September 24, 2014, 03:29:49 PM
The new outlines on freeways is a bit inconsistent:

Uh no. It's perfectly consistent - those are the pieces of road that you have to pay a toll to use.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on September 24, 2014, 03:51:53 PM
I only encounter new Google Maps when I click on a link here.  Otherwise, I just use a browser 'favorite' button that takes me directly to 'Classic'.  When I do get dumped into the new street view via a link, and I click the "Back to Map" at the bottom left corner to see where the GSV is located, it brings up the map, but it doesn't have the Pegman or anything else indicating where I just was. I assume it's centered, but I don't know the exact location of the street view image and can't go right back to it.

Classic is great because I can just zoom out to map/satellite from GSV by scrolling, and zoom back into GSV as well.  The new maps doesn't seem to have this, and forces me to toggle with the "Back to Maps" icon.  Terrible.

Bruce

Quote from: NE2 on September 24, 2014, 05:28:43 PM
Uh no. It's perfectly consistent - those are the pieces of road that you have to pay a toll to use.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up.

For reference, WA-16 (whose eastbound bridge is tolled) looks like this:

dfwmapper

It'll be gone shortly. :cool:

NE2

There is a sidewalk there. dfwmapper is a vandalistic assclown.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

Quote from: NE2 on September 24, 2014, 11:27:59 PM
There is a sidewalk there. dfwmapper is a vandalistic assclown.
Well, thanks for your kind words, but at least on Google Maps, sidewalks aren't supposed to be mapped separately from the road they are at the side of, they are set as an attribute of the road itself. The only exception would be an independent trail that parallels a road for a short distance before heading off on its own, which isn't the case here.

NE2

Check the NYC bridges. Most of the East River and Harlem River bridges have separately mapped sidewalks. Not that it makes a difference - you're just a sucker doing free work for a for-profit corp.

KEK Inc.

The toll outline is hideous.  A slightly different color would have been better, in my opinion.
Take the road less traveled.

english si

Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2014, 12:46:25 AMyou're just a sucker doing free work for a for-profit corp.
Yes, use OSM, rather than Google Map Maker!

dfwmapper

I tried OSM, didn't care for the interface.

freebrickproductions

I personally use Google Maps because they have satellite view and a broad street view coverage (Bing has barely any). I really need those for several of my maps, such as the Alabama Siren Map.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 24, 2014, 05:50:46 PM
Classic is great because I can just zoom out to map/satellite from GSV by scrolling, and zoom back into GSV as well.  The new maps doesn't seem to have this, and forces me to toggle with the "Back to Maps" icon.  Terrible.
As someone who always hated being forced into/out of street view against her will when exploring the map/satellite imagery while closely zoomed in or when zooming out of street view, I have the opposite opinion.  I LOVE that it no longer does that.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2014, 01:06:12 PM
As someone who always hated being forced into/out of street view against her will when exploring the map/satellite imagery while closely zoomed in or when zooming out of street view, I have the opposite opinion.  I LOVE that it no longer does that.

While I use Classic for reasons of speed of performance, I do have to admit you have a point. I run Waterfox with a Flash blocker add-on to stop the annoying videos that play when you load ESPN and to avoid audio and video ads, and it works well, but the downside of it is that if I inadvertently scroll in too far using Google Maps, the Flash blocker kicks in when Street View tries to load and I'm forced to click the icon, let Street View load, and then exit back out. No way to scroll back out once the Flash blocker kicks in. The benefits of the blocker outweigh this nuisance, though.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2014, 03:45:36 PM
I run Waterfox with a Flash blocker add-on to stop the annoying videos that play when you load ESPN and to avoid audio and video ads, and it works well, but the downside of it is that if I inadvertently scroll in too far using Google Maps, the Flash blocker kicks in when Street View tries to load and I'm forced to click the icon, let Street View load, and then exit back out. No way to scroll back out once the Flash blocker kicks in. The benefits of the blocker outweigh this nuisance, though.
I don't know what the fuck Waterfox is, but Firefox now has a built-in flash blocker that lets you whitelist specific sites.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2014, 01:06:12 PM

While I use Classic for reasons of speed of performance, I do have to admit you have a point. I run Waterfox with a Flash blocker add-on to stop the annoying videos that play when you load ESPN and to avoid audio and video ads, and it works well, but the downside of it is that if I inadvertently scroll in too far using Google Maps, the Flash blocker kicks in when Street View tries to load and I'm forced to click the icon, let Street View load, and then exit back out. No way to scroll back out once the Flash blocker kicks in. The benefits of the blocker outweigh this nuisance, though.
For me the scrolling feature is great because I can quickly jump further down the road (or to another road) by zooming out and then zooming back into GSV where I want.  The "Back to Maps" leaves me so far zoomed out that I don't know where I just was half the time.  I will admit that it is touchy and that I get occasionally sucked into GSV by accident.  It would be great if there was a toggle for this feature.

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2014, 04:31:34 PM
I run Waterfox with a Flash blocker add-on to stop the annoying videos that play when you load ESPN and to avoid audio and video ads, and it works well, but the downside of it is that if I inadvertently scroll in too far using Google Maps, the Flash blocker kicks in when Street View tries to load and I'm forced to click the icon, let Street View load, and then exit back out. No way to scroll back out once the Flash blocker kicks in. The benefits of the blocker outweigh this nuisance, though.
I don't know what the fuck Waterfox is, but Firefox now has a built-in flash blocker that lets you whitelist specific sites.

If you ask politely, maybe someone will tell you.

Edited to add: But I just checked my add-on and found it has a whitelist function, so I've remedied the problem. Thanks for the tip, even if you need to learn not to speak like Cartman.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 25, 2014, 04:31:53 PM
For me the scrolling feature is great because I can quickly jump further down the road (or to another road) by zooming out and then zooming back into GSV where I want.  The "Back to Maps" leaves me so far zoomed out that I don't know where I just was half the time.  I will admit that it is touchy and that I get occasionally sucked into GSV by accident.  It would be great if there was a toggle for this feature.

At least in New Maps, if you mouse over the map insert in street view you can click on a street to teleport there, so no need to even exit street view.

Many of the performance issues can be solved by disabling WebGL.  In Chrome, there's an option for it in about://flags.

Roadgeek2500

I may have found a good Gmaps replacement, HERE maps. They are the people who make the maps for all Garmin devices. Check it out. here.com
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.