News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

jakeroot

I cannot use the arrow keys to do any more than rotate, but the only way I ever navigate in Street View is by clicking on the mini map in the bottom left. You can zoom in really far and get super precise.

US 41

Quote from: wxfree on August 11, 2015, 05:55:05 PM
Is everyone else no longer able to navigate in Street View with the arrow keys?  It lets me turn the view, but not move backward or forward with the arrows.  I have to click with the mouse to move, so I can only go forward or sideways; backward is no longer possible.

This is very annoying.  Now I can navigate Street View with arrow keys only in Google Earth.  I hardly use the new maps, and now I have more reason not to.

You can still use the arrow keys in SV with Lite Mode. Lite Mode is the only thing I use unless I need directions, then I use Mapquest.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Rothman

My problem with MapQuest is that the vector set it uses has significant issues when getting directions.  Try getting to Confluence Point State Park in MO or Smith Falls State Park in Nebraska, for instance.  Roads are not drawn correctly or simply omitted from the data set (still NAVTEQ?).

The frustrating thing is that it wasn't always this way.  Something changed a year or so ago.  I loved the number of edit points you could put into a MapQuest route, but the vector set became so lousy that I gave it up altogether.

Very disappointing.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Seriously, what will Google remove next?  Maybe in a few months there won't even be roads on the map?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on August 11, 2015, 07:48:07 PM
Seriously, what will Google remove next?  Maybe in a few months there won't even be roads on the map?

My guess is that on April 1, all roads (even dead end roads, biking trails, and roads in other countries) will be labeled as Interstate 1. It will not change back the next day.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

I was irked by Google Maps being slow this afternoon, so I tried Bing Maps because their site has been consistently fast. I noted they had a link on the left side suggesting you try the "new" Bing Maps. Out of curiosity, I clicked on it. Worst of all worlds: Similar interface to new Google Maps, slower than the old Bing Maps, outdated map data (multiple missing ramps along I-95 in Northern Virginia–the HO/T lanes have been open for almost eight months now, so the ramps should be there; the ICC in Maryland is incomplete; at least they do show the Jersey Turnpike widening as having been completed), even more outdated "Bird's Eye" satellite images.

On the plus side, they got rid of the embarrassing "Branch" and "Boulevard" banners they used to display on "Business Routes" and "Business Loops," but that's not much of an accomplishment.

There is an "Exit" button at the lower right corner that lets you return to old Bing Maps more easily than Google Maps allowed back when they still had that capability. It asks you what you didn't like, so I gave them an abridged version of the above–it limits the space you have to comment, although it doesn't TELL you there's a limit and instead it simply stops accepting text.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

intelati49

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2015, 04:18:41 PM
I was irked by Google Maps being slow this afternoon, so I tried Bing Maps because their site has been consistently fast. I noted they had a link on the left side suggesting you try the "new" Bing Maps. Out of curiosity, I clicked on it. Worst of all worlds: Similar interface to new Google Maps, slower than the old Bing Maps, outdated map data (multiple missing ramps along I-95 in Northern Virginia–the HO/T lanes have been open for almost eight months now, so the ramps should be there; the ICC in Maryland is incomplete; at least they do show the Jersey Turnpike widening as having been completed), even more outdated "Bird's Eye" satellite images.

On the plus side, they got rid of the embarrassing "Branch" and "Boulevard" banners they used to display on "Business Routes" and "Business Loops," but that's not much of an accomplishment.

There is an "Exit" button at the lower right corner that lets you return to old Bing Maps more easily than Google Maps allowed back when they still had that capability. It asks you what you didn't like, so I gave them an abridged version of the above–it limits the space you have to comment, although it doesn't TELL you there's a limit and instead it simply stops accepting text.

Well, shit...

Rothman

No ability to print off turn-by-turn maps...ugggggggggggggggh.   :banghead:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 25, 2015, 05:30:09 PM
Not Google's problem. For any transit that has scheduling information, all of that data including exact station locations comes directly from the transit agency. MTA's own data files have the location listed as 40.905424,-73.854665, which is exactly where the marker is on Google (and Bing, and Mapquest). You'll have to get MTA to fix it. MTA has a Google Group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mtadeveloperresources for discussion of their data, so you might consider posting there and asking them to review and correct the location.
Well, somebody must've fixed it, because the logo is where it belongs now.

Zeffy

It's kind of an error, but it's also kind of funny if you remove the hyphen from what is displayed:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2330692,-89.6272679,15.04z

Otherwise, it should be just AB, since the other county roads in Missouri are displayed with just their letters.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

I'm starting to drift away from Google a bit and try here drive+. Not half bad, except when you zoom out, it doesn't auto focus when you want to back on the arrow (your phone).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marshalls+Creek,+PA+18301/@41.041765,-75.128848,3a,66.8y,-290.3h,95.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRPaWDSnr_55au28FFX_P0w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c485c32088702f:0xb4e113a711e2cdfa

Is that signal head really slanted, or is it an illusion created by improper pasting of the photos like many cut out some things or a misaligned pasting of two photos.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignGeek101

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2015, 11:26:27 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marshalls+Creek,+PA+18301/@41.041765,-75.128848,3a,66.8y,-290.3h,95.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRPaWDSnr_55au28FFX_P0w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c485c32088702f:0xb4e113a711e2cdfa

Is that signal head really slanted, or is it an illusion created by improper pasting of the photos like many cut out some things or a misaligned pasting of two photos.

The signal head is slanted. If you move to another location, the slant stays.

stormwatch7721

The street view feature is taken off on Lite Mode.

1995hoo

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on August 31, 2015, 09:22:06 PM
The street view feature is taken off on Lite Mode.

It worked for me. You just have to drag the man to a location instead of clicking.

stormwatch7721

The pegman is not there anymore in lite mode.

1995hoo

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on August 31, 2015, 09:37:29 PM

I'm not sure what I set it to, then. I thought it was Lite Mode. The pegman icon was there but I had to drag it to a location, like the way it used to work. But my PC isn't on right now and I don't see much point in firing it up at this time of night just to find out how I had it set.

D-Dey65

Ugh, more bad news. Google Maps won't show subway lines anymore, at least in New York City. I haven't checked other systems yet.

:angry:

Bruce

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 01, 2015, 11:21:23 AM
Ugh, more bad news. Google Maps won't show subway lines anymore, at least in New York City. I haven't checked other systems yet.

It's still there for me when transit mode is on or when clicking on a station icon (along with other systems, such as those in Seattle, Chicago, LA, DC, SF, Portland).

Also, Portland's new Orange Line (opening this month) is now included on Google Maps. Same goes for the tunnels for Seattle's University Link Extension (opening in 2016).

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Sykotyk

As much as I disliked old Bing Maps, I use them now unless I'm looking for street view. On my phone, for directions, I use mapquest's app.

In general, Google Maps feels like a kids toy, designed entirely to take the 'thought process' out of the users hands and assumes for you what you want.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2015, 09:44:36 PM

I'm not sure what I set it to, then. I thought it was Lite Mode. The pegman icon was there but I had to drag it to a location, like the way it used to work. But my PC isn't on right now and I don't see much point in firing it up at this time of night just to find out how I had it set.

I'm at my PC now and it shows I have Google Maps set to Lite Mode, but the pegman icon is indeed there all the way in the lower right corner of the screen. As I said above, you have to drag it to a location.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 01, 2015, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2015, 09:44:36 PM

I'm at my PC now and it shows I have Google Maps set to Lite Mode, but the pegman icon is indeed there all the way in the lower right corner of the screen. As I said above, you have to drag it to a location.
They could use "Pegman Mode" as I call t. Click Pegman (and relocate him on the bottom of the screen), and it turns roads blue (and Pegman's location disappears), then click the road you want, and you instantly go into Street View.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

stormwatch7721

The pegman is back on Street View lite mode.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Bruce on September 01, 2015, 02:06:50 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 01, 2015, 11:21:23 AM

It's still there for me when transit mode is on or when clicking on a station icon (along with other systems, such as those in Seattle, Chicago, LA, DC, SF, Portland).

I found the transit mode and clicked on that. Clicking on a station icon simply wasn't enough.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.