News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Thunderbyrd316

I case anyone is interested, I just now discovered that ClassyGMap has added U.S. county lines to it's version of Google Maps. As far as I can tell, they appear to be pretty accurate.

jakeroot

Is there still strong opposition to the new Google Maps? It seems to get better every time I use it (then again, I never had any significant issues with it).

Thunderbyrd316

For me, navigating in "Street View" is MUCH easier in ClassyGMap than New Google Maps because in "Classic" you can easily move "Pegman" around on the split screen map without having to constantly go in and out of Street View. (And you have a split screen map that you can actually zoom in and out and see the map in satellite view.) The tiny little map in New Maps is pretty much worthless, does NOT have satellite view and can only be zoomed in and out a small amount, certainly not far enough out to move "Pegman" 10 or 20 miles or more at a time without having to constantly switch in and out of Street View mode.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2015, 06:50:26 PM
Is there still strong opposition to the new Google Maps? It seems to get better every time I use it (then again, I never had any significant issues with it).

I'd say it's better now, partly because I've gotten used to it more. But still, some features are annoying (such as the pictures on the bottom of the screen when in streetview). Also, I find it's more difficult to get Pegman to land on a street than in the old version.

vdeane

It appears that Google has finally reenabled the ability to use arrow keys in street view.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 41

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on September 17, 2015, 07:29:01 PM
   For me, navigating in "Street View" is MUCH easier in ClassyGMap than New Google Maps because in "Classic" you can easily move "Pegman" around on the split screen map without having to constantly go in and out of Street View. (And you have a split screen map that you can actually zoom in and out and see the map in satellite view.) The tiny little map in New Maps is pretty much worthless, does NOT have satellite view and can only be zoomed in and out a small amount, certainly not far enough out to move "Pegman" 10 or 20 miles or more at a time without having to constantly switch in and out of Street View mode.

You are like my new hero. I had no idea about ClassyGMap. I tried it out and I am definitely using it for now on.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

empirestate

I may have to switch to ClassyGMap too, now that the Labels Off feature has stopped working in Google Maps. At first, it would just turn off the names and numbers but keep all the linework of the streets overlaid on the satellite view. Now, in addition to that, the labels only remain off for that one viewing of Satellite (Earth) mode. Each time you switch back, you have to turn the labels off all over again. (This problem started with going in and out of Street View, but now it seems to be with every mode switch.)

This functionality change seemed to happen over the course of a couple of hours yesterday and was accompanied, at least on my end, with a loss of connectivity to the Google Earth server. I wonder if something's just amiss over at Google?

freebrickproductions

I'm not a fan of ClassyGMap. The interface is nice, but there's no way to make the map portion of street view (the section where you see the map when you go into street view) smaller and it taking up half the screen makes it hard to see what you're looking at on street view, IMO.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 21, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
I'm not a fan of ClassyGMap. The interface is nice, but there's no way to make the map portion of street view (the section where you see the map when you go into street view) smaller and it taking up half the screen makes it hard to see what you're looking at on street view, IMO.
Did you try the pull down menu at the top right?  There are a couple of options for adjusting the split screen including a Google like minimap, larger Streetview, larger Map, vertical split, etc.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 21, 2015, 08:20:51 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 21, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
Did you try the pull down menu at the top right?  There are a couple of options for adjusting the split screen including a Google like minimap, larger Streetview, larger Map, vertical split, etc.

Didn't see that when I used it. I like it better now that I know I can do that, but I think I'll stick with regular Google Maps for now.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 41

Just a little curious. Why is there no street view in Puerto Rico? After all it is part of the United States.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jakeroot

Quote from: US 41 on September 30, 2015, 06:08:11 PM
Just a little curious. Why is there no street view in Puerto Rico? After all it is part of the United States.

I'm sure it's in the pipeline. There's still plenty of the contiguous US they have to do.

First two things that come to mind are rural roads in rural counties, and islands. The San Juan Islands of Washington have not been touched yet.

Bruce

I just noticed how bad the watermarking on Streetview is getting:

noelbotevera

Quote from: Bruce on September 30, 2015, 07:26:37 PM

OMIGOD...the Google logo...IT'S INFECTED THE SKY!

Ellis: OH MY GOD IT'S CHRISTMAS

This Christmas must suck then.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bruce

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 30, 2015, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 30, 2015, 07:26:37 PM

OMIGOD...the Google logo...IT'S INFECTED THE SKY!

Ellis: OH MY GOD IT'S CHRISTMAS

This Christmas must suck then.

Google to Acquire Rights to Sky

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA — SEPTEMBER 30, 2015 – Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire rights to license the Sky™ from Earth Inc. (NASDAQ: TERRA) for an undisclosed fee.

Larry Page, CEO of Google, said: "We're thrilled to be able to provide this service to the entire world at the low cost of a few watermarks. Rest assured, we will work on cleaning up the skies in developing regions in accordance with our slogan–don't be evil."

About Google Inc.

Google is a global technology leader focused on improving the ways people connect with information. Google's innovations in web search and advertising have made its website a top internet property and its brand one of the most recognized in the world.

Contact
press@google.com

Big John

jeffandnicole

Getting directions from Google Maps today for a trip from Trenton, NJ to Independence, OH, I noticed they now summarize the directions.

When I first grabbed the directions, this is what it gave me:

Get on US 1 South (3 min/1 mi)

Follow I-476 N and I-80 W to Rockside Rd in Independence. Take exit 155 from I-77 N (6 h 46 min/455 mi)

Drive to Quarry Ln (2 min/0.2 mi)

Very concise.  Maybe a little too concise.  It would be nice to have the exit numbers for the main directional changes as well (in this case, from 476 to 80 & 80 to 77).  Sure, I can get that when I expand the selection, but then I also have to deal with "Stay on ramp for 0.4 miles, not that you have any other choice other than flipping over the guardrail and rolling down the embankment".

Rothman

The elimination of turn-by-turn maps still ticks me off and the summaries are indeed too concise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2015, 02:26:27 PM
The elimination of turn-by-turn maps still ticks me off and the summaries are indeed too concise.
Bring back Mapquest circa 2009 please.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Pfff, who needs Google? Apple Maps has all the directions I need

to get lost.

1995hoo

I used Apple Maps a few times late last month, primarily for walking directions in unfamiliar cities. Worked fine. They've definitely improved it since it was released (yes, I realize that's not saying much, but my experience with it suggests the stereotype of it as riddled with errors and incompetence is outdated).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 16, 2015, 05:06:08 PM
I used Apple Maps a few times late last month, primarily for walking directions in unfamiliar cities. Worked fine. They've definitely improved it since it was released (yes, I realize that's not saying much, but my experience with it suggests the stereotype of it as riddled with errors and incompetence is outdated).

I can actually thank Apple Maps for helping me find the shortest route to work. Google Maps always used the freeways, but Apple suggested some side streets. I never went back.

J N Winkler

I'm asking in case anyone has the answer to this particular problem at his or her fingertips--it is not obvious to me and Googling hasn't helped.

Google has decided (how, I am not sure) that I am to be signed in by default when I use Google Maps.  For at least a month now, maps have loaded for me without any route designations.  I don't want this behavior but my route knowledge in my local area is good enough that it hasn't seriously inconvenienced me until now, when I tried to re-check US 12 and SR 8 in the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.  I logged out in case this behavior was being caused by my user profile; the map I was looking at reloaded initially with route shields--but once loading finished, the route shields disappeared!  What is going on?  (I'm using Windows 7, Firefox, and Flash is up to date.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

myosh_tino

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 19, 2015, 11:34:25 AM
I'm asking in case anyone has the answer to this particular problem at his or her fingertips--it is not obvious to me and Googling hasn't helped.

Google has decided (how, I am not sure) that I am to be signed in by default when I use Google Maps.  For at least a month now, maps have loaded for me without any route designations.  I don't want this behavior but my route knowledge in my local area is good enough that it hasn't seriously inconvenienced me until now, when I tried to re-check US 12 and SR 8 in the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.  I logged out in case this behavior was being caused by my user profile; the map I was looking at reloaded initially with route shields--but once loading finished, the route shields disappeared!  What is going on?  (I'm using Windows 7, Firefox, and Flash is up to date.)

Interesting.  I tried logging out on Google Maps and the maps reloaded normally.  I'm using MacOS X 10.9 and Safari 7.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Mileage Mike

Anyone else use Waze (owned by Google) and notice that after the latest update it no longer shows the highway numbers of roads aside from interstates?  Seems like everytime these companies update something to make it better, they end up breaking something else in the process.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.