Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2020, 01:39:03 PM
Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 16, 2020, 01:29:32 PM
Google Maps is not fun to use anymore, and frankly, I think they know exactly what they're doing.

What, exactly, are they doing?

I'm guessing he's had a few bad experiences, and is sure that Google is just screwing with him at this point.

For the record, I've experienced none of the listed issues (navigation or voice-to-text). Particularly for voice-to-text, it is far more dependent on the individual phone's software than on Google. I use that feature a ton on my Note9, and seldom have it get things wrong. Hell, I can swear into it, and it'll pick things up (none of those dumb asterisks).

vdeane

The voice to text thing sounds like the poster is expecting the computer to know as much about language as a human.  Of course, it doesn't.  A human can tell the difference between "serving" spoken slowly and each syllable emphasized to make it more understandable and "Sir Ving" from context, but the phone knows nothing of that.  Voice to text doesn't know anything about English grammar or what words actually mean, social cues, whether you've gotten exasperated at its inability to comprehend, or anything else - all it's doing is taking sounds and attempting to figure out what words they were.

The directions look like a good example of why a GPS is a supplement to reading maps and navigating, not a replacement.  I don't understand people who rely on it entirely.  That's just asking for trouble.  Such really does cause one's brain to rot, too.  I know someone in his 80s who presumably was able to navigate just fine (heck, he even did photogrammetry in the 60!), but now is wholly reliant on GPS even to drive to and from work.  I went out in the field with him a few times and noticed quite a few times that looking over where we were going with Google Maps beforehand rather than just blindly following the GPS would have avoided issues (as an aside, the number of people who don't bother to look at a map of where they're going before they go places, even those not relying on GPS, is staggering; I feel like I'm at the other end of the extreme, since I don't feel comfortable leaving for a trip without writing out my predetermined (and probably memorized) route on a piece of paper and look at ever single turn in street view if possible).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I would guess that the proliferation of phone-based navigation is due in part to at least a few reasons:

1) time savings: just opening your phone and asking for directions to "wherever" is way faster than plotting it beforehand;
2) lack of consistent issues: the chances of running into serious navigational errors is reasonably slim;
3) paper maps generally don't show points-of-interest nor house numbers (house numbers are based on a grid system, but consult reason 1); and
4) digital mapping services are more likely to be up-to-date under the vast majority of circumstances.

I've seen some people experience issues more consistently, but they seem to be one-off situations with their phones, or, in several situations, people using magnetic phone mounts that messed with their internal GPS receiver.

From the perspective of an Uber/Lyft driver, my only complaint is that digital mapping services will sometimes show a POI as being around a corner, when the address is on the first street. This is mainly due to the "pin" for that address being closer to the side street, but I would think a smarter GPS app would just take me to the street that the address is on. But even so, this does not happen all the time, and I still use common sense.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 05:09:01 AM
3) paper maps generally don't show points-of-interest nor house numbers (house numbers are based on a grid system, but consult reason 1); and
4) digital mapping services are more likely to be up-to-date under the vast majority of circumstances.
Of course, there is something in between "rely on the GPS" and "use paper maps".  I do have paper maps of many areas, and I do take them with me on most longer trips, but my primary plotting in through Google Maps over my desktop computer, using the directions mainly to calculate drive time and save the route.  Then again, I seem to be in the minority who still uses a desktop computer and their primary means of going online (which made my FiOS outage yesterday especially annoying).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I use Google Maps to plan my routes but do not own a sat-nav device, nor do I ever use Google Maps on my phone for directions.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2020, 12:44:15 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 05:09:01 AM
Of course, there is something in between "rely on the GPS" and "use paper maps".  I do have paper maps of many areas, and I do take them with me on most longer trips, but my primary plotting in through Google Maps over my desktop computer, using the directions mainly to calculate drive time and save the route.  Then again, I seem to be in the minority who still uses a desktop computer and their primary means of going online (which made my FiOS outage yesterday especially annoying).

I think total reliance on GPS is not advisable under any circumstances, as every system is prone to failure (such as incorrect routing). But it helps that we, as roadgeeks, have slightly higher levels of common sense than those that not only drive only because they have to, but don't even really understand roads and routes in general. I, for one, don't even own a recent paper map, but I know most roads in my area, and am happy to use Google Maps or Waze or whatever for when I don't know what I'm doing.

I would guess that the average Joe probably uses phone-based navigation apps, as they don't bring their desktop computer on the road. Even with that, some people don't own printers anymore (given their ridiculous operational costs, depending on model), so they can't print out directions either. Both certainly add up to a predominantly phone-based navigation populace.

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2020, 02:05:37 PM
I use Google Maps to plan my routes but do not own a sat-nav device, nor do I ever use Google Maps on my phone for directions.

As I understand it, you run a program that entails a great deal of driving. So I'm guessing you've found something that works. But I think the average person would find using Google Maps on the computer, but never using it on their phone, to be a bit unusual. Since, after all, it's the same map. I personally use Waze for navigation pretty frequently. I've beat it on several occasions, but it's usually pretty spot-on for arrival time (seldom ever under-estimates, though I've seen ETA's change mid-drive). As someone who knows routes pretty well, ETA's are something that I really appreciate out of sat-nav devices.

J N Winkler

I use StreetView heavily to check parking availability and the streetscape in situations that I expect to involve significant task loading, such as hunting for a specific address on a busy five-lane thoroughfare.  Aside from that, I just look for an overview from Google Maps.

I have found it helps to have relaxed standards for distance parked from the place being visited.  When the location is unfamiliar or only semi-familiar (say, visited once every year or so), it is easier for me to park on a street nearby than to scrounge for a space in off-street parking, even if the latter is a little bit closer to the front door.  Quite often I offer dropoff and pickup at the door just to ensure I can handle the parking without an observer riding in the car with me.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 03:47:48 PM
I think total reliance on GPS is not advisable under any circumstances, as every system is prone to failure (such as incorrect routing). [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_GPS
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 03:47:48 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2020, 02:05:37 PM

As I understand it, you run a program that entails a great deal of driving. So I'm guessing you've found something that works. But I think the average person would find using Google Maps on the computer, but never using it on their phone, to be a bit unusual. Since, after all, it's the same map. I personally use Waze for navigation pretty frequently. I've beat it on several occasions, but it's usually pretty spot-on for arrival time (seldom ever under-estimates, though I've seen ETA's change mid-drive). As someone who knows routes pretty well, ETA's are something that I really appreciate out of sat-nav devices.

I should have worded that more carefully.  I never have Google Maps on my phone give me directions.  I do use Google Maps on my phone while out and about, but only to look at the map itself while stopped somewhere.  I figure out on my own how to get from A to B on that map.  It's only in advance of travel, from the comfort of my home computer, that I utilize the directions feature of Google Maps.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

For some, South Korea specifically looks blurry and has a different colour scheme (looks like old Google Maps?). Even zooming in on South Korea, the map still looks low resolution. My brother sees the same thing (we're both using google.ca/maps in case that affects anything).

vdeane

Japan does that too, but it's not as obvious because it isn't quite as low resolution and it look/functions more like Google Maps elsewhere (the terrain view of North Korea is also affected within the rectangle with the dark blue water).  I think it's because of some security laws relating to mapping in the area; it seems like all the countries in that area have them in some form (it would be ironic if North Korea was the exception, but I suspect Google just doesn't care in their case).

ozarkman417

Quote from: 7/8 on February 22, 2020, 09:26:55 PM
For some, South Korea specifically looks blurry and has a different colour scheme (looks like old Google Maps?). Even zooming in on South Korea, the map still looks low resolution. My brother sees the same thing (we're both using google.ca/maps in case that affects anything).
<snipped>
It's not specific to .ca. I started to notice it around the 2018 winter Olympics, but it has probably been there longer than that. Tried .de, .fr, and for some reason, there is no google.kr (South Korea's domain).
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/one-thing-north-korea-has-the-south-doesnt-google-maps-24650

ozarkman417

I feel indifferent about this... Took me a couple of taps to figure out why it was doing nothing.

7/8

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 22, 2020, 09:55:32 PM
<snipped>
It's not specific to .ca. I started to notice it around the 2018 winter Olympics, but it has probably been there longer than that. Tried .de, .fr, and for some reason, there is no google.kr (South Korea's domain).
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/one-thing-north-korea-has-the-south-doesnt-google-maps-24650

Thanks for the info, that's very intesting!

Quote from: vdeane on February 22, 2020, 09:52:09 PM
Japan does that too, but it's not as obvious because it isn't quite as low resolution and it look/functions more like Google Maps elsewhere (the terrain view of North Korea is also affected within the rectangle with the dark blue water).  I think it's because of some security laws relating to mapping in the area; it seems like all the countries in that area have them in some form (it would be ironic if North Korea was the exception, but I suspect Google just doesn't care in their case).

Personally I don't notice anything unusual with Japan, but maybe it's too subtle for me.

vdeane

Japan's changes are MUCH more subtle than those of South Korea (the latter is about as subtle as being hit over the head with a sledgehammer).  Main differences between Japan and most of the rest of the world is the lack of borders on the freeway symbology, the ramps change colors to match the freeways at sufficiently close zoom levels, and traffic lights are shown.  Interchanges and toll gates are also marked with names at much further out than exit numbers are shown elsewhere.  Transit lines are also shown (albeit usually in black and white) at all times, not just when the transit layer is turned on (which simply turns them to color).

Bruce

In general, if you are in serious need of maps for another developed non-Anglo country you are better off using one of the native providers. South Korea has Naver, and China has Baidu (which gets around the annoying discrepancy between satellite and road data imposed by the GPS fudging).

CNGL-Leudimin

Same in .es. It's a superimposed old map, because if you switch to satellite view you'll see there are no marked roads at all. This also explains why directions don't work (How you can get anywhere if there are no roads to begin with?), and Street View doesn't show any address at all, just who has taken the imagery (Mr. Google, who not...).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Verlanka

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 22, 2020, 10:07:45 PM

I feel indifferent about this... Took me a couple of taps to figure out why it was doing nothing.
After looking at the picture, the only takeaway from it is that only the interstate has traffic.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Verlanka on February 23, 2020, 05:22:37 AM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 22, 2020, 10:07:45 PM
<snipped>
After looking at the picture, the only takeaway from it is that only the interstate has traffic.
They are phasing out the three dashes on the left side of the search bar and putting its former contents in different places.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on February 22, 2020, 10:44:53 PM
Japan's changes are MUCH more subtle than those of South Korea (the latter is about as subtle as being hit over the head with a sledgehammer).  Main differences between Japan and most of the rest of the world is the lack of borders on the freeway symbology, the ramps change colors to match the freeways at sufficiently close zoom levels, and traffic lights are shown.  Interchanges and toll gates are also marked with names at much further out than exit numbers are shown elsewhere.  Transit lines are also shown (albeit usually in black and white) at all times, not just when the transit layer is turned on (which simply turns them to color).

Japan's map symbology is very interesting, and I've never quite understood why their rendering is so unique. It's definitely nice to see street widths closer to reality, colors that don't overlap as much, etc.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2020, 03:08:16 PM

Japan's map symbology is very interesting, and I've never quite understood why their rendering is so unique. It's definitely nice to see street widths closer to reality, colors that don't overlap as much, etc.

Google bought out a Japanese firm and superimposed their existing maps since they were much more comprehensive. This firm managed to get the right formula for displaying complex underground maps (a necessity with their subway-level malls), which regular Google Maps still struggles to support.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 23, 2020, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2020, 03:08:16 PM

Google bought out a Japanese firm and superimposed their existing maps since they were much more comprehensive. This firm managed to get the right formula for displaying complex underground maps (a necessity with their subway-level malls), which regular Google Maps still struggles to support.

Guess that would explain the copyright notice in Google Earth! Thanks for the information.

wxfree

I just noticed a change that makes it suck a little less.  When downloading maps for offline use, the maps will expire if not updated.  Previously, the time limit was 30 days, which seems a little excessive.  The real problem is that even if you set it to update automatically, it will save space and data by updating only maps that are used frequently.  That means that if you save some maps and set them to update automatically, if you don't do it manually, they might just disappear because Google decided that they're not important.  I downloaded a new map area yesterday, and it has an expiration date of a year later.  I updated my existing offline maps and they all now expire in a year.  It's understandable that they don't want to have their reputation tarnished by people using outdated 15-year-old maps and complaining that they aren't accurate, but having to update every 30 days is too much.  They should still let me decide if maps are important enough to keep past their expiration date.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Plutonic Panda

Does anyone know why in China the road markers are consistently hundreds of feet off from the actual road? Is this done on purpose?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 08, 2020, 02:05:05 PM
Does anyone know why in China the road markers are consistently hundreds of feet off from the actual road? Is this done on purpose?

China requires it to be that way by law.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.